• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 - XBOX 360 Demo [Out Now]

Triz said:
I downloaded this this weekend, and every time I loaded the multiplayer level it would lock up the whole xbox forcing a hard reboot. I havent read through the whole thread but was this an issue for anyone else?
Are you using a wireless connection? Apparently there is a problem with connecting to Live that way when trying to play the demo.

MrBig

fuzzyreactor said:
those shots do suck, but playing both i agree with the analysis
I'm not saying the game is bad, but the shots they used were absolutely terrible.
Over-bloom, blocky modeling, completely desaturated theming, straight edged effects, aliasing, etc. The crysis shots aren't much better though

see5harp

Jesus that video was insane. The way he would pop the hologram and sprint jump over walls to flank the hologram was awesome. VERY MUCH looking to see the rest of the levels now.

.GqueB.

Banned
God this game was boring. I guess Im getting a bit tired of the COD type no recoil, ice skating shooter. Just felt so sterile. Even with all the suit abilities it felt bland.

Pass.

-SD-

Banned
http://www.rediscussed.com/2011/01/31/interview-with-crysis-2-devs/

Whats Changed Since the Crysis 2 Demo?

Crytek RobJ explained they were in the very, very last processes of debugging Crysis 2, only had a few more days before their own deadline. “The demo was compiled a while ago and a lot of things have been changed, and lots of bugs have been fixed” he added. As they were in the final stages before the game was completed to go for approval, he was to attend work on the Sunday later that day (so thanks for staying up).

I asked what else had changed since the demo compared to the game current play at work, he answered “Well the first thing I noticed it looks a bit different, we have a new strength texture/effect and also a new cloak effect. Another change that you’ll see is that they have improved the kill cam on the current version of Crysis 2.
Another Player mentioned that they had black screen when they joined a map, the Dev answered this and said they had fixed this problem. They also pointed out that alot of lag issues had been fixed.

Cobra84

http://www.rediscussed.com/2011/01/31/interview-with-crysis-2-devs/ said:
The Map Skyline featured in the Crysis 2 demo is one of our most vertically orientated maps.
That is disappointing. Skyline should be somewhere in the middle. Ignoring what make this game different just turns it into a CoD clone.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MrBig said:
Wait people think those killzone 2 shots look good? :lol
Looks like xbox 1 era graphics.
Whoa whoa whoa, THOSE shots look like absolute shit simply due to the way Lens of Truth is displaying them (they appear very low resolution on that page).

Killzone 2 is, without a doubt, one of the finest looking shooters around. XBOX era graphics?

Alright, no pics. Jesus, though, when people make claims like that what else do you do??!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Really, I am tired of this shit in every fucking thread. Can we have one fucking graphics appreciation thread without bringing up Killzone?

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
godhandiscen said:
Really, I am tired of this shit in every fucking thread. Can we have one fucking graphics appreciation thread without bringing up Killzone?

this isn't a graphics appreciation thread....

if it were, it'd be silly NOT to bring up Killzone since its one of the frontrunners in graphical fidelity

This multiplayer demo has really impressed me. The gameplay flow is incredibly fun. I am particularly enjoying the dynamic between the suit powers and gathering dog tags; using sprint and/or cloak to avoid being killed by would-be avengers. The swiftness at which you can shift to playing as a Rambo super-soldier to a stealthy predator is exhilarating. Also, chaining sprints, jumps, and slides is hugely fun and satisfying. The ability to scale vertical structures so easily really adds to the intense and dynamic gameplay. This game is very close to finding a sweet-spot between Halo and CoD, which is an amazing accomplishment. The biggest flaw right now is the melee system. It's an unsatisfying and confusing mechanism, with the exception of the stealth-kill from behind melee which is awesome. Crysis 2 + Reach levels of melee precision and fluidity would be ideal and mind-blowingly sweet. [typo edits]

Klocker

equiprimordial said:
This multiplayer demo has really impressed me. The gameplay flow is incredibly fun. I am particularly enjoying the dynamic between the suit powers and gathering dog tags; using spring and/or cloak to avoid being killed by would-be avengers. The swiftness at which you can shift to playing as a Rambo super-soldier to a stealthy predator is exhilarating. Also, chaining sprints, jumps, and slides is hugely fun and satisfying. The ability to scale vertical structures so easily really adds to the intense and dynamic gameplay. This game is very close to finding a sweet-spot between Halo and CoD, which is an amazing accomplishment. The biggest flaw right now is the melee system. It's an unsatisfying and confusing mechanism, with the exception of the stealth-kill from behind melee which is awesome. Crysis 2 + Reach levels of melee precision and fluidity would be ideal and mind-blowingly sweet.

absoutely agree. thanks for putting my thoughts into words. ;)

RSTEIN said:
Is there a ranking/experience system like CoD?

Yeah, there's a ranking system that's very similar to Call of Duty. This game borrows a lot of features actually. Ranking, classes, streak kill rewards,, etc. I personally don't like it and makes the game feel unoriginal with everything it borrows and nothing to innovate, but others will dig it.

Not sure what to make of the multiplayer. On one hand, the suit features are really fun and add some depth, the graphics are fantastic, and the quick match feature gets games going decent enough. On the other hand, the controls are fucked with lag, the shooting doesn't feel completely right, the match ranking system felt unbalanced with a complete team of Rank 8-10's against 1's and 5's three times in a row, and melees kills are a piece of a shit.

Aiming and moving isn't bad, I never really noticed it but the melee and jumping... what the fuck. Some other dude and I were running around, came face to face for like 3 second of nothing happening, as were mashing away trying to melee and nothing is happening and the one hit melee kills are complete bullshit, even when you have the Armor effect on. From behind, I can understand, but other than that, it feels cheap and ridiculous.

The negatives and positives don't outweight each other. It all just feels like a very neutral experience, it's fun when it works and it's busted when the game feels like it's working against you.

Right, I tried it out, and I like it. The only thing that really bothers me is the sluggish moving speed. I feel like I'm moving really freakin' slow the entire time, and I don't like it. That, and as mentioned above, the somewhat finnicky melee system.

Then again, this might not be such a big problem in the campaign, which is the main reason I'm buying this game. I doubt I'll be playing a lot of MP.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
My only gripe with this is the movement speed. Nomad ran incredibly fast in Crysis, with way more gear. These dudes are slow as hell. Hopefully the main guy is faster in campaign mode.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Just played a few matches of this. It's actually pretty good. Good enemy health, gunplay is decent. Either everyone playing it is terrible, or I'm amazing (I'm not), because I went 3:1 pretty much every round. The game will probably get ruined once everyone ranks up and unlocks all the garbage though.

alr1ghtstart said:
Just played a few matches of this. It's actually pretty good. Good enemy health, gunplay is decent. Either everyone playing it is terrible, or I'm amazing (I'm not), because I went 3:1 pretty much every round. The game will probably get ruined once everyone ranks up and unlocks all the garbage though.
That is why I LOVE playing Call of Duty games the first 2 weeks they come out when everyone is on equal footing and have similar powered guns.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Game2Death said:
That is why I LOVE playing Call of Duty games the first 2 weeks they come out when everyone is on equal footing and have similar powered guns.
Haha, same here.

Played a bit more of Crysis 2 tonight and the suit powers kind of clicked for me. I enjoyed it a lot more and did a lot better.

commissar

Oldschoolgamer said:
My only gripe with this is the movement speed. Nomad ran incredibly fast in Crysis, with way more gear. These dudes are slow as hell. Hopefully the main guy is faster in campaign mode.
While I get what you mean with regards to the fiction, I think the slower suits match the environment of Crysis 2 more. In Crysis 1 it works cause they're all "thanks for winning the fight, your extraction point is 10km that way".

Whereas Crysis 2 is all streets and buildings, so I imagine you'd slam into every other shop front at Crysis 1 speeds lol. [spoiler[hope we fight in some parks[/spoiler]

alr1ghtstart said:

I feel the exact opposite lol

Everyone I play against is either super good or I'm playing like shit. Think I might be too used to Halo. The health system kicks my ass.

Is anyone else having problems with the server and possible lag? Keep getting disconnected from matches half the time and shootouts feel lagged for some reason. Most of the time, I'll lose a shootout even when I've got the enemy directly in my reticle and first to strike with full armor on. Only time I score kills is when I've got the element of surprise. Heard there might be an issue with wireless connected 360's.

bj00rn_

Banned
Raydeen said:
Installed.

Played 10 mins of slow, ponderous Crytek hype.

Uninstalled.

I also played about 10 minutes, got disgusted and exited.. But then I started playing it again after a couple of days (To test the 3D mode, which I had forgotten about), and after sticking with it a while I actually started to enjoy it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man said:
Sub HD & temporal AA are bummers. Crytek on the same line of as other FPS devs when faced with locked hardware.
1152x720 is barely below HD, to the point where no one would notice if they weren't told. Temporal AA does suck though.

xemumanic

RoboPlato said:
1152x720 is barely below HD, to the point where no one would notice if they weren't told. Temporal AA does suck though.

Yeah, really. It's not even worth mentioning the resolution. But its a shame about the AA.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Temporal AA is really just not okay. Am I the only one that can't stand this? I'd MUCH rather have no AA.

Top Bottom