• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 - XBOX 360 Demo [Out Now]

Zezboob

Really ?

Considering that's :
- their first attempt on X360
- a multiplateform game
- the impressive results on many aspects

I don't think that their reputation is grossly over exaggerated.

And we should wait a the final build for such claims, even if I don't expect a huge difference, some aspects could probably polished a lot.

Feindflug

RoboPlato said:
1152x720 is barely below HD, to the point where no one would notice if they weren't told. Temporal AA does suck though.

The "little" drop in resolution is noticeable (well it's 100.000 pixels less than 720p and a lot of people here actually noticed before the pixel counting) especially combined with the lack of any proper AA solution - the temporal AA that Crytek uses is creating a lot of ghosting so if you play on a bigger than 32" HDTV jaggies and ghosting can be really distracting...add to that the aggressive LOD and you have a pretty good looking game plagued by some really annoying problems.

Man

Lostconfused said:
How about we wait until the final version of the game is out.
Game is about to go Gold any day now. I doubt you will see little if any improvements from this Beta.

Nizz

DieH@rd said:
They managed to port their awesome engine to consoles. They are wizzards.
Jury's out on the PS3 version. They ever decide to show that version and it's not a hot mess, I'll be glad to call Crytek wizards...

DieH@rd

Banned
purple cobra said:
Jury's out on the PS3 version. They ever decide to show that version and it's not a hot mess, I'll be glad to call Crytek wizards...

So far we know that x360 and PS3 share almost same CFG settins, and cryteks boss comented that 3D works perfectly on all three platforms. If 3D works fine, then 2d will work even better.

Man said:
Game is about to go Gold any day now. I doubt you will see little if any improvements from this Beta.
We don't know how old the code was in the beta. The multiplayer part of the game isn't being worked on by Crytek.

Edit: Yes this beta/demo had technical issues. Yes the retail version can be a horrendous mess. But I think I will wait to experience it first hand before jumping all over Crytek for screwing anything up.

Man

DieH@rd said:
If 3D works fine, then 2d will work even better.
Crysis 2 doesn't have proper 3D on consoles sadly. It's cardboard cutouts actually. Meaning you don't see objects from two slightly different angles but just appropriately separated (for each eye) depending on depths.
There's no volume sort to speak, just cut outs (which is why their '3D' mode only takes 1.5% of the system resources).
PC version obviously has proper 3D mode where it's rendered twice.

_Bro

Banned
mescalineeyes said:
Seems like Crytek's technological wizardry was grossly over exaggerated.
I haven't even played the demo and I can tell you that if you're playing a game that's on PC on a console then you're doing it wrong.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you aren't happy with the tech on consoles, go buy the game on PC. I don't get why people bitch about this stuff when it's available on PC.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Feindflug said:
The "little" drop in resolution is noticeable (well it's 100.000 pixels less than 720p and a lot of people here actually noticed before the pixel counting) especially combined with the lack of any proper AA solution - the temporal AA that Crytek uses is creating a lot of ghosting so if you play on a bigger than 32" HDTV jaggies and ghosting can be really distracting...add to that the aggressive LOD and you have a pretty good looking game plagued by some really annoying problems.
I was exaggerating a bit about the resolution but I think temporal AA was more of the reason that people were saying that it looked sub-HD, not the actual resolution. It kind of smears everything and the ghosting can be really bad.

On another note, DF says that the way the game is coded would bode well for the PS3 version because of multi-threading. I hope this is true. Show the PS3 version, Crytek!

RoboPlato said:
I was exaggerating a bit about the resolution but I think temporal AA was more of the reason that people were saying that it looked sub-HD, not the actual resolution. It kind of smears everything and the ghosting can be really bad.

On another note, DF says that the way the game is coded would bode well for the PS3 version because of multi-threading. I hope this is true. Show the PS3 version, Crytek!

The AA or the sub-HD isn't really bothersome imo. I'm playing on a 55-inch and never noticed any ghosting. The sub-HD is barely noticeable too. Wouldn't have known if someone didn't point it out.

It's nothing to get a mob over. I'm a little surprised at the resolution though. Is the single-player campaigned suppose to be different because most previews reported the game was to run at 720p with no AA? Or is that the PS3 version?

Man, what the fuck at anyone who is commenting on the technical aspects.

I'll say it now, crysis 2 on 360 looks every bit as good as anything I've seen/played of kz2.

In may have some issues - but it looks and runs amazing regardless. Well done crytek.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Stallion Free said:
If you aren't happy with the tech on consoles, go buy the game on PC. I don't get why people bitch about this stuff when it's available on PC.

qft

jett

D-Member
Image quality looks some kind of awful in those DF pictures. What happened to Crytek's custom AA solution or whatever?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jett said:
Image quality looks some kind of awful in those DF pictures. What happened to Crytek's custom AA solution or whatever?
I don't know what's up with captures of this but it actually looks pretty good in person. Someone did some good captures earlier in this thread that were actually quite representative of what it looks like. I'll see if I can find them.

Found them. Captures done by Shinn. IQ still isn't quite what it actually looks like in-game but these are at least more accurate than other ones I've seen.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25601911&postcount=777
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25603085&postcount=851

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
arena08 said:
It is being made by Crytek.

You know what he meant I assume? That it's not being made by the same office that made the engine, that the people doing the MP part is ex Radical. So it's possible that they are using a slightly old code AND it's possible that MP has lower settings than the SP campaign done at the main Crytek office.

None of this matters to me as I'll be playing it on PC, but there's a chance that the SP campaign will look more than great for a console game. Having played the Killzone 3 "beta" that's going right now though, I think it's looking way better. Apples to oranges though as exclusives are "easier" to make gorgeous since you can tailor it to one system. This is after all a cross platform game.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
They should adopt the MGS4 method of temporal AA. That is, they deactivate the temporal AA when there is motion. The ghosting absolutely destroys the image quality when there is movement (which is pretty much all the time). Temporal AA only works well in games like DMC4 because only the characters are moving. In an FPS shooter, the whole screen moves, and the image quality just turns out to be terrible.

It is extremely tiring to deal with the ghosting effects. Halo Reach was playable only in short bursts to me because of all the ghosting.

scoot3r

So this is going to blow? damn it this was my march game!( i made a list of the year to buy one new game a month day 1) :(

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
scoot3r said:
So this is going to blow? damn it this was my march game!( i made a list of the year to buy one new game a month day 1) :(

who said this was going to blow? There was only a multiplayer demo. Wait for the game to be released before passing judgment.

scoot3r

I wasnt passing judgement i didnt even play the demo! Thats why I was asking LOL. I hope its good tho and ill prob still pick it up.

Stripper13 said:
I'll say it now, crysis 2 on 360 looks every bit as good as anything I've seen/played of kz2.

After playing some Bad Company 2 again... I got reminded that all the other console fps games are pretty much a joke(when looking at the overall package).

scoot3r said:

Probably not and the demo was only for the mulitplayer with some really fucked up code. There's a lot of positives to the game. Some people liked the demo, didn't mind the technical issues, and had a lot of fun with it. It's got a Call of Duty vibe to it mixed with the suit's powers to give it a nice, tactical feel.

I personally hated it. Spent a week trying give it a good chance, but it just never clicked because of the cheap melee kills, cumbersome controls (double tapping Y for grenades), input lag, CoD rip-offs, etc. Even if the technical issues are fixed, I still wouldn't touch the console version or multiplayer.

Started playing the demo last night. Unfortunately, being Australian I had to download it on the XBOX website and queue from there. This meant fuck all Aussies were playing and my ping was constantly in red. Have they played with the netcode? The game seemed quite playable on red ping outside a few isolated incidents. Looking forward to some green ping matches.

Looks amazing, don't care what anyone says about it's AA or any shit like that - it looks fantastic, and the models, weapons and maps look fantastic. However I've noticed on Pier that when shit gets busy - it's hard to keep track of enemy movement etc due to over detail (if that makes sense). I think it has something to do with map design/fidelity more than anything - but trying to spot an enemy at medium-long range on that map is difficult for me at the moment.

The gameplay is great - A welcome hybrid of Reach and COD. Switching up between abilities (including super jumps and vision mode) while managing the energy and keeping an eye on the mini map is fantastic. Shotgun seems a little strong at the moment, one shots at pretty good range, and seems to be able to damage from considerable distance also. Took me a few matches to get used to the maps and weapons - but last 3-4 matches I was top scorer.

Anyone know how the sniper rifle works? I know it sounds stupid - but in COD a chest hit with a good rifle is OSK, 2 shots max. Reach is one shot to head, or two anywhere. It may have been my lag, but I nailed an enemy with the sniper rifle 3 times in stomach/legs (bad shooting) and he didn't go down.

How does the single shot mode for the SCAR fare? Only realized there was a fire mode toggle when I finished last night and am eager to see how it performs.

Finally, did they adjust melee? Again, may have been lag, but seemed like 2 hit melee (instant kill to the back), possibly 3 with armour enabled. I suspect it is 2 hit kill now, as I definitely hit someone front on last night and got an assist after team mate shot him.

Anyway, awesome game - day one etc.

Wow at this game. I didn't enjoy the demo whatsoever, I found it ugly, ran like shit and just not fun at all. Either I'm getting way too picky with my FPS or just getting really tired of them. =/

Square Triangle said:
Wow at this game. I didn't enjoy the demo whatsoever, I found it ugly, ran like shit and just not fun at all. Either I'm getting way too picky with my FPS or just getting really tired of them. =/
Ugly and running like shit? Really? What console FPS do you play regularly or prefer? Have you played Reach - if so what did you think that looked like?

The game is gorgeous - the IQ is similar to that of Reach but with much more going on, and the levels are larger and more detailed. That's not a shot at Reach, but just an observation on the strength of the game. To top it off, the performance is flawless. I haven't seen any issues yet, no framedrops, nothing. In fact, at one point with a full lobby on Pier 17, an alien gunship was approaching just as one of those giant lasers hit/finished - and I didn't notice a hiccup at all - despite the fact I was expecting massive hitches.

As for the fun part - well, that's entirely foreseeable. I'm not sure what it is about the game that makes it polarizing. However I had a couple of friends playing earlier, one fell in love with it, the other claimed it was a gigantic piece of shit. Same lobby and everything - difficult to speculate on what it is without criticizing someones playstyle or approach to the game.

It was really lagging in both games I played. And yes, the game is ugly. I'm sure it's gorgeous on the PC and everything is peachy but this just seems like a very overrated title to me.

Square Triangle said:
It was really lagging in both games I played. And yes, the game is ugly. I'm sure it's gorgeous on the PC and everything is peachy but this just seems like a very overrated title to me.
Ugly? The fuck?

Can you give me an example of a good looking 360 FPS? I just want to know what it is you're seeing that I can't. The game is positively great to look at, and the performance is flawless. Netcode seems at least as good as any COD that I have played - so I'm just not sure what it is you are experiencing.

I can't imagine it being overrated given the thrashing it is being given at the moment - in fact I think a lot of people are overlooking the promising gameplay thus far.

strata8

Square Triangle said:
Strange, looks and runs fantastic on my 360.

Top Bottom