• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 PC Performance Thread

Just a thought but have you guys tried turning off tesselation? I remember Crysis 2's implementation was absolutely comical and caused all kinds of nonsensical framedrops.

Unless theres a cvar for it, you cant. C3 has 2 options: Dx11 ON, or fuck you, get a DX11 card.
I reckon once people figure out how to turn off individual DX11 features, well see massive performance gains. I reckon theres alot of unecessary DX11 bloat going on here

Unless theres a cvar for it, you cant. C3 has 2 options: Dx11 ON, or fuck you, get a DX11 card.
I reckon once people figure out how to turn off individual DX11 features, well see massive performance gains. I reckon theres alot of unecessary DX11 bloat going on here

the tessellation in the game is quite optimized... even in C2. It should not be a big problem

the tessellation in the game is quite optimized... even in C2. It should not be a big problem

Tessellation in C2 gives me about a 20% performance loss, and visually icant even tell if its on of off. I turn it off in pretty much every single game as it just hits peformance and has very little payoff.

I think I'm going to wait awhile to play the SP and wait for some patches and some user made optimizations. MP will be fine for now.

CatPee

Tessellation in C2 gives me about a 20% performance loss, and visually icant even tell if its on of off. I turn it off in pretty much every single game as it just hits peformance and has very little payoff.

You should get MaLDo's mod. The tessellation is simply glorious.

Reading this thread makes me want to bite the bullet so bad. Guess MaLDoHD and the compound bow mod for C2 is gonna have to tide me over for a while.

what is the card you are running? On any 400 series plus high end card... it should be almost unnoticable in performance

Umm since I don't feel like waiting another six hours because I will be watching the PS4 livestream then, from what I heard EA won't ban about VPN unlocking right?

KKRT00

Isn't Psycho's face supposed to be tessellated all the time? I think that would be a pleace to look for a difference.

Btw, this game is killing my 570, I cannot bring myself to put shadows and shading on anything lower than Very High, and I'm paying for it.

I can without a problem, but Water must stay at Very High, Caustics are just too good, they add so much to the scene, which You cant really show with screenshots.

Isn't Psycho's face supposed to be tessellated all the time? I think that would be a pleace to look for a difference.

Btw, this game is killing my 570, I cannot bring myself to put shadows and shading on anything lower than Very High, and I'm paying for it.

Gotta get over the fear of lowering settings, man. Choose performance over iq every time...you're not looking at old photo albums now are ya?

Hey guys, I need some assistance. First, my specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz (8 CPUs)
RAM: 8 GBs
OCd @ Core Voltage 1125mV; Core Clock 1000MHz; Memory Clock 1125MHz

So, I can't even play this game's campaign on medium graphics settings (at 1080p) without the FPS dipping below 30. Are my specs bad? Other high-end games run just about perfectly and the beta was pretty smooth, but now the FPS is barely above 30 on the lowest settings.

Please help. Should I change my over-clocking or my GPU or something? Thanks!

therapist

Can anyone confirm if the MP is hack-ridden already? (like crysis 2)
ALso , are there ded servers?
Trying to google ded servers and i see some people saying there are none , while i see previews saying it will have ded servers. Confused

Geoff9920

Hey guys, I need some assistance. First, my specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz (8 CPUs)
RAM: 8 GBs
OCd @ Core Voltage 1125mV; Core Clock 1000MHz; Memory Clock 1125MHz

So, I can't even play this game's campaign on medium graphics settings (at 1080p) without the FPS dipping below 30. Are my specs bad? Other high-end games run just about perfectly and the beta was pretty smooth, but now the FPS is barely above 30 on the lowest settings.

Please help. Should I change my over-clocking or my GPU or something? Thanks!
Your GPU is what's giving you the performance problems. Getting a higher end card would give you a fairly substantial performance increase. The people in the PC building thread would be able to help you out if you needed help picking out a card.

stufte

I like how you shot that light and nothing happened.

LOL

...and they call that "next gen" (face meet palm)

You would think something so simple would be in a game so "advanced".

omg why doesn't the water splash up on shore?

omg why doesn't the foliage break realistically when i step on it?

omg why doesn't my character make footprints in the mud?

omg why isn't there a crater left when i throw a grenade?

omg etc. etc.

Because all of these things don't matter to the gameplay, and don't at all define a game as "next-gen".

Loginius

Because all of these things don't matter to the gameplay, and don't at all define a game as "next-gen".

Im gonna eat some hats if any game that releases in the next year has all of that while looking state of the art.
I think its quite an achievement that we finally have a game with lush, high grass that moves out of the players and npcs way.

That said you cant shoot all lights in crysis because the artists dont want you to.
There are quite a few lights you can shoot so the tech is there (since Far Cry), giving the player the option to shoot them all would not make sense because it would basically make it possible to ruin your playthrough in interiors, change the desired lighting/mood/vocal point etc.

Hawk SE

I just played through Crysis 2 with Hardcore settings. Now, with Crysis 3 I can't go above the High settings. I've turned off AA, Motion Blur, and set Shadows to Low.

My build:
  • i7 3770k
  • GTX 560Ti
  • 8GB RAM

I assume that at this point it's the GPU that's bottlenecking the performance now. Likely need to OC it, to see if that helps. Additionally, I'll have to toggle each Advanced Option to get the "perfect" 60fps playthrough, if possible.

Origin ID: HawkSE

Has anyone using the GeForce Experience beta tried "optimizing" settings for C3 yet? Funnily enough, mine managed to wizard up a good 60fps setup for my rig, although I don't know if I'll keep the settings.

Origin: giantrobut

Definitely want to play some MP.

Hawk SE

Has anyone using the GeForce Experience beta tried "optimizing" settings for C3 yet? Funnily enough, mine managed to wizard up a good 60fps setup for my rig, although I don't know if I'll keep the settings.

I've been at work, but I will update and try it. So far that program has been spot on with almost every game. Except, in BF3 it tries to turn on Motion Blur. I despise Motion Blur.

Sethos

Banned
I've been at work, but I will update and try it. So far that program has been spot on with almost every game. Except, in BF3 it tries to turn on Motion Blur. I despise Motion Blur.

Well, it doesn't base the settings on what you like though :p

stufte

Mine turns everything to Very High. I'm getting 50-60fps in most places, though I feel like because I have a 690 that it is somehow contractually obligated to peg out all my settings, even if I lose performance.

Sethos

Banned
3930k @ 4.5GHz
2 x 680 4GB
2560x1600

GeForce Experience recommends;

AF: 16x
Anti-aliasing: 1x SMAA Low
Game Effects: Very High
Object: Medium
Particles: Very High
Post Processing: High
Shading: High
Shadows: Medium:
Texture Resolution: Very High
Water: Very High

Gives a pretty good idea which settings are more demanding than others.

gdt

I'm considering shelving this till I build a new PC in the next few months :(. I'm down to a medium spec with high textures...struggling through 25fps with frequent drops. I've never had to drop to medium spec on this card (6770m). Always high/very high with at least 35-40 (Witcher 2).

scitek

I used the cvar configurator and enabling all the settings I thought were on Very High actually dropped my framerate by 7 or 8, so it apparently goes beyond the in-game max settings. I'm playing at 1080p now and using 2XSMAA. If you turn off the sharpening filter, it gets rid of a lot of aliasing. I love this game. It's even better when you memorize the layout of the levels.

d00d3n

I got a huge performance increase from disabling in game vsync and replacing it with adaptive vsync from nvidia inspector (remember to change to adaptive _and_ force on). Really helps with problem areas (such as the second room with enemies on the boat level). Running 1080p, textures high, smaa x1 (huge performance hit with x2), in game vsync disabled (obviously), advanced settings very high, except shaders/shadows only high and motion blur disabled. Fps goes down 35 during parts of the mentioned problem problem area, but mostly stays at 60 otherwise (tested with fraps).

Using i5-3570K @ 4.2 GHz (dynamic overclock), 8 GB RAM, Geforce 580 GTX SLI (1.5 GB VRAM) and Win 7 64 bit.

Confession: In an earlier post in this thread I had the ridiculous belief that the game was running at a smooth 60 fps at 1440p with high settings.

Nokterian

I used the cvar configurator and enabling all the settings I thought were on Very High actually dropped my framerate by 7 or 8, so it apparently goes beyond the in-game max settings. I'm playing at 1080p now and using 2XSMAA. If you turn off the sharpening filter, it gets rid of a lot of aliasing. I love this game. It's even better when you memorize the layout of the levels.

There is a cvar configurator? Link please :)

Poker360

AMD 8350 OC@ 4.34 Ghz
Gigabyte 7970 WF ed. (3.0gb) Oc'd at 1050mhz / 1500 memory
8gb RAM
windows 8

1920x1080
texture settings: very high
graphic settings: very high
antialiasing: smaa medium 2tx
v sync off

average around 30 fps... some extremely demanding areas will drop to 25

Wanny

The things that kill my framerate the most is Shading = Very High and r_ssao = 2... everything else is manageable @30 fps unfortunately.

Smokey

After doing some NV Surround/3D Surround tests yesterday I decided to run through the first stage again (which is where a lot of people say it's the most "unoptimized"). Very High settings on everything, 2x MSAA:

2013-02-20 21:11:16 - crysis3
Frames: 81093 - Time: 1491432ms - Avg: 54.373 - Min: 6 - Max: 107

Stock clocks on 580 SLI 3GB Lightning Extreme's

Eyothrie

Anyone have a recommendation for the best preset settings to achieve 60fps with a single gtx 680? I don't mind turning down to whatever this is.

gtx 680
i7 3820 4.1 ghz
16gb ram

Jin

Anyone have a recommendation for the best preset settings to achieve 60fps with a single gtx 680? I don't mind turning down to whatever this is.

gtx 680
i7 3820 4.1 ghz
16gb ram

Try the Geforce Experience. It made the game smooth for me.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/geforce-experience

My setup if anyone cares:
3770K stock
8Gb
GTX690
2560x1440

Geforce experience:

AF: 16x
Anti-aliasing: 1x SMAA Low
Game Effects: Very High
Object: Very High
Particles: Very High
Post Processing: Very High
Shading: High
Shadows: Medium:
Texture Resolution: Very High
Water: Very High

Base on my setup and Sethos Nvidia recommends turning down object, shadows, and shading first.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, game is way way way more demanding than I expected (at least the first level in the rain).

The very first scene ran at sub-30 fps on Very High for me. Had to play with a number of settings in order to solve it. Definitely sticking with a 30 fps cap for now.

Oddly enough it does seem to run a lot better once you actually get out of the rain and into the dome. That first level is a real killer, though.

Top Bottom