• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis |OT| Big Screens, Comfy Couches and 5.1 surround sound

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Cheeto said:
I just reinstalled Crysis on my newly upgraded rig.

Went from:

8800GTS 320 -> Ati 4850
2gb -> 4gb ram
WinXP32 -> Vista64

Fired up Crysis, and cranked everything up to max settings at 16x10 with no AA. To my surprise it ran great. Didn't have the info on but the framerate seemed like a solid 30fps, maybe 25. I played up until you came across the first Humvee. When I got into the humvee and tried to drive the framerate took a dive down to 8 or so fps. I think it had something to do with the wide open water area that surrounded me. Any idea which setting I can dial back to keep the framerate around 30?
Are you in DX10 mode? If so, I'd use DX9 mode and enable some of the more advanced effects manually (such as object blur).

Cheeto

dark10x said:
Are you in DX10 mode? If so, I'd use DX9 mode and enable some of the more advanced effects manually (such as object blur).
Ya it was in DX10 mode. I just set it all to Very High. So I assume that means Dx10 mode.

Do you know of a good config file for my system?

dark10x said:

That was what I had to do on my radeon 4850. Run it in DX 9 to get what I consider an acceptable frame rate.

dark10x

Cheeto said:
Ya it was in DX10 mode. I just set it all to Very High. So I assume that means Dx10 mode.

Do you know of a good config file for my system?
Yeah, Very High in DX10 mode is VERY demanding. If you right click on the Crysis icon you can select DX9 mode.

It's tough to say which config you should use, however, as I've tweaked mine quite a bit. I thought the Natural Mod looked really nice in action. Don't use Cuban's mod as that produces ugly results. I'd say you should just look for the "use DX10 Very High in DX9 mode" in google or something. DX9 can handle most of the effects/shaders (not all) but it runs at a MUCH smoother framerate.

dark10x said:
Yeah, Very High in DX10 mode is VERY demanding. If you right click on the Crysis icon you can select DX9 mode.

It's tough to say which config you should use, however, as I've tweaked mine quite a bit. I thought the Natural Mod looked really nice in action. Don't use Cuban's mod as that produces ugly results. I'd say you should just look for the "use DX10 Very High in DX9 mode" in google or something. DX9 can handle most of the effects/shaders (not all) but it runs at a MUCH smoother framerate.

I never tried Cuban's mod. Is it really that bad?

dark10x

Stoney Mason said:
I never tried Cuban's mod. Is it really that bad?
I thought it looked like shit in comparison to what I normally used. It's intended to produce higher framerates while still looking decent, but the drop in graphical quality was too much for me to handle.

dark10x said:
I thought it looked like shit in comparison to what I normally used. It's intended to produce higher framerates while still looking decent, but the drop in graphical quality was too much for me to handle.

Thx. I do enjoy the Crysis looks and it is mostly solid for me but some of the frame rate swings in situations can get annoying.

zam

Really enjoying this game, but I've hit a glitch during the Recovery level where
You rescue the asian scientist in the school and then two tanks come. I blow up the tanks
and it says "objective completed" and then nothing else happens. No new objective, nothing..

BeeDog

zam said:
Really enjoying this game, but I've hit a glitch during the Recovery level where
You rescue the asian scientist in the school and then two tanks come. I blow up the tanks
and it says "objective completed" and then nothing else happens. No new objective, nothing..

I've also had that glitch. You need to restart the whole level to fix that, sadly.

dark10x

zam said:
Yeah, that is a known glitch. I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed. I suppose that's one of the issues you face when dealing with such a wide open game, but it's still annoying.

It happened to me once. I believe it is triggered by going to the school before checking out the actual waypoint. Of course, when it happened to me, I did everything in order. It told me to meet up with Prophet, but he was nowhere to be found (this was on a replay, though, so I didn't mind).

I did encounter one other glitch on my first run through. During the Assault mission (you'll know it when you see it) there is a part where you have to take out enemy choppers in order to proceed. I did things in a backwards order, however, so one of the choppers glitched out. He was on the map, but hundreds of miles in the sky. I could barely make him out with the scope and obviously could not shoot him. My own troops actually landed nearby and started doing their own thing, but the mission would not proceed. Eventually, after reloading several times, the enemy chopper just stopped working and fell out of the sky into the ocean. I just swam down and blew it up from the bottom of the ocean to continue. :p

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Playing this a 2nd time makes me wish I had something better than a 8600GT :(

But the first half is still so awesome. I'll probably stop when I get to the second half since I already know it blows.

bee

best map so far by a mile, not released though

2 links to video flythrough

http://crackle.com/c/Animation/_Niveus_Crysis_map/2362607#ml=fi%3d%26fu%3d2444850

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDt2PTzvvBs&fmt=18

24btd28.jpg

2uf9l00.jpg

2uf7sw7.jpg

Everything had been running smoothly until I needed to escape the ice sphere. Then the shit truly hit the fan. Had to put everything down to medium except shader and water quality to get a playable framerate. Ah well, hopefully warhead will be a little better.

System is C2D E7500 OC to 3.4, 9800gx2, 4gb 1066 ram, Vista prem.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
^ You should have no absolute problems leaving it on very high with everything. Check your drivers. And run it in Vista 64-bit. It works better.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The only place in Crysis where my machine was not able to smoothly handle maximum settings was the very end battles. My god they needed to optimize that better. I still was able to complete it though without lowering settings.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
1680x1050 very high, 4XAA. Vista 64 DX10. No Vsync.
1920x1080 very high, No AA. Vista 64 DX10. No Vsync.

4870X2 using 8.8 beta, Catalyst A.I on advanced.
9800GX2 using 177.79 and recent Physx drivers.
Both cards and settings produced very similiar results.

FPS 30-45 on average. Never higher than 92, never lower than 15 and the 15 in extremely rare cases which happens in an instant and doesn't affect game play.

And screenshots. Standard Crysis, no mods.
28qtd08.jpg

2ds6zk.jpg

kpb2a.jpg

2ppernd.jpg

21q26p.jpg

qyvhjr.jpg

1z5kzzm.jpg

x1dmom.jpg

4syamq.jpg

11c63hc.jpg

1zgig9.jpg

2cqcupt.jpg

5v0h0l.jpg

6707wm.jpg

searvb.jpg

2lvyb9e.jpg

f4qmat.jpg

5n67pi.jpg

2zfpv2b.jpg

212sozm.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
ATI better hurry up and release the official 8.9 drivers, i dont feel like going through that rediculous install for the 8.9 betas (which are the 8.8 betas)

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Supposedly PCZone gave Warhead a 92% and someone was also saying it's five hours long, and the tagline is 'Perfection in Miniature'.

randomwab

So, is Warhead going to go back and patch the original Crysis with the optimization tweaks? If so, I'd love to play both games back to back when Warhead hits.

f@luS

More than a member.
Sorry to bump this.

FInally upgraded my PC.

(C2D 2.66@3.2, 4gb, Radeon 4850 512 , Vista 64 ).

I spent like 3h trying to tweak crysis. Im playing on 1360*768 (hdtv)

Honestly, im kind of dissapointed by crysis gfx. After all the speach and everything i was expecting much better.
I tried on DX10 "very high" 20/30 fps , ok, but even so it was bland looking, and still some pop up. Texture we not crisp as i though they would be.
Then i tried some cfg i found on the net (one from a guy named "HP" i think). IT has increased shadow a lot (not looking bland anymore), and everything is custom now. I dont wanna touch it. BUt many things are bothering me

-the great "3D" texture are so flag after like 3/4 meters. Its annoying.
-The game is still aliased as hell. I tried edgeaa = 1/2 . At One , it has almost no effect. At 2 fooliage are ok , but wow, its really blurry. Like a downscale (remind me of GTA 4 on PS3). I like how crisp it is without edge aa but you know the issue.....

bee

play it using dx9 and ccc config level 5, looks great and you also get great performance, also force 8xaf in your graphics card control panel

crysis is a jaggy fest at low res theres no way you can get round it, soon as you put the resolution above 1680x1050 the jaggies aren't an issue anymore

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
How do I run timedemos to get framerate averages?

I tried that Crysis benchmark tool and tried running their Assault timedemo but all that did was launch my game with some info in the corner but that's it. It was like I was playing the game and when I quit, nothing happened.

Also, looking at my framerates on that level and framerates in general, I'm getting pretty crappy performance on my 4870X2 -- around 25 fps average in 1680x1050 (or whatever the second highest resolution is) with DX10 all settings on very high.

I am sad. :(

madmook

I don't think Crysis makes for a very good benchmarking tool, because some areas of the game are super-demanding on the hardware and in some places your framerate will rocket up. Taking that average isn't really accurate when you're playing through the game.

One early spot in the game I like to use when testing performance is when daylight first breaks and you're on that ridge overlooking the ocean with the little hut and 4-5 guys patrolling under you. That place usually hurts the framerate some.

Also, running the game in dx9 mode will boost framerates, and you can just use simple cvar tweaks to get back the very high settings.

chespace said:
How do I run timedemos to get framerate averages?

I tried that Crysis benchmark tool and tried running their Assault timedemo but all that did was launch my game with some info in the corner but that's it. It was like I was playing the game and when I quit, nothing happened.

Also, looking at my framerates on that level and framerates in general, I'm getting pretty crappy performance on my 4870X2 -- around 25 fps average in 1680x1050 (or whatever the second highest resolution is) with DX10 all settings on very high.

I am sad. :(

It runs the benchmarks 5 times then gives the result.

And if on very high and DX10, your framerates are great. Welcome to Crysis :p.

JSnake

I'm using the MS Wireless Laser Keyboard 6000 and I get some major input lag in Crysis. Doesn't happen in any other game including Crysis Warhead. I don't get any mouse input lag, just keyboard lag. Game is patched to the latest version. Can anyone help me? :(

f@luS

More than a member.
ive tested everything, correct me if im wrong

Perf wise :
DX9 64bit = DX9 32bits > DX10 64 > DX10 32 (the same scene, beach at the start @ night i have 46/46/42/39fps. EVerything @ custom/max settings.)

Some screens i took.
3901381.jpg

453092.jpg

8980673.jpg

4529884.jpg

7744225.jpg

I NEVER dip below 30fps,(1360*768) , with C2D@3.2, 4gb, R4850 on Vista64
Normal perf?
thanks

f@luS

More than a member.
Damn my screens looks better than what i am currently playing :D.
Crysis is really good looking but in motion, there is a lot of aliasing, even with edgeaa the fooliage is weird. Though it looks really great, its not that clean

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Running DX10 at 1920 x 1200, everything maxed and getting 27+ fps.

wji2qh.jpg

2yuy9at.jpg

15nnic9.jpg

35bbcl3.jpg

2ymsni9.jpg

Best graphics in a video game, even a year later.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Just bought Crysis on Steam. I noticed there are 64-bit version executables but the game is running in 32-bit mode (DX10).

Is there anyway to get the Steam version to run in 64-bit mode?

Just finished this game today.

Suffice it to say, it saddens me DEEPLY that I will never play Crysis Warhead..

Played on an HD3850 with pretty much everything on High (a couple of minor things set to Medium) and excepting the snow level it ran around 30fps. The finall level was sort of a mess though.

dLMN8R

tahrikmili said:
Just finished this game today.

Suffice it to say, it saddens me DEEPLY that I will never play Crysis Warhead..

Played on an HD3850 with pretty much everything on High (a couple of minor things set to Medium) and excepting the snow level it ran around 30fps. The finall level was sort of a mess though.
Why?

Zzoram

belvedere said:
Just bought Crysis on Steam. I noticed there are 64-bit version executables but the game is running in 32-bit mode (DX10).

Is there anyway to get the Steam version to run in 64-bit mode?

For some reason the 64-bit binaries weren't included in the Steam release. It doesn't really matter though, I don't think even Crysis can use more than 3.2GB of RAM.

dLMN8R

Quite a silly principle. They give you a revoke tool to get past the activation limit problem, and the "server going down" problem is no more relevant here than buying games on Steam.

The game's awesome, it deserves a purchase.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I finally bought the Crysis SE while Gamestop had it for $20 over the weekend, and I played it for a couple hours last night, saving every now and then along the way. Today, I open the game and attempt to load my last save, and it crashes to the desktop. I've tried defragging my drives as somebody suggested on a forum elsewhere, but that did nothing. I installed the newest patch for the game, and that appears to also do nothing, as well as making practically all multiplayer games inaccessible as they are on some different version. Anyone ever have their savegames keep crashing like this?

Vaporak

dLMN8R said:
Quite a silly principle. They give you a revoke tool to get past the activation limit problem, and the "server going down" problem is no more relevant here than buying games on Steam.

The game's awesome, it deserves a purchase.

Have they? I was under the impression you couldn't revoke installations. got a link?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I was actually planning on bumping this thread soon with my impressions. I'm not done yet, but so far so good. :D

Top Bottom