• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Remastered (XBLA/PSN) screenshots released [Up: New gameplay video]

Satchel

Banned
Never played Crysis 1.

But to be honest, the pics being posted in this thread aren't flattering ANY of the platforms. Looks like shit on PC too.

I was more than happy with how Crysis 2 looked on PS360.

njr

MAXIMUM. GAME.

Well, whatever resolution the game runs on, it was still good. I enjoyed the story a lot more.

Kinyou

What's funny though is that this kind of proves that Crysis 2 wasn't "consolefied". We just have to accept that Crytek isn't the AAA developer we thought it to be,

Satchel said:
Never played Crysis 1.

But to be honest, the pics being posted in this thread aren't flattering ANY of the platforms. Looks like shit on PC too.

I was more than happy with how Crysis 2 looked on PS360.
Careful man!, we don't want people flooding the thread with screens.

Tain

Kinyou said:
What's funny though is that this kind of proves that Crysis 2 wasn't "consolefied". We just have to accept that Crytek isn't the AAA developer we thought it to be,

The whole "consolification" thing is a simplification of what's actually happening.

in fact

you could call it a consolification of an idea ahuahuahua

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Pumpkins said:
I find it odd that people comparing the two at all.

You find it odd that people are comparing Crysis to itself on a new platform? A version Crytek are trying to sell as "remastered", even? What comparison could possibly make more sense?

Kinyou said:
As I said earlier in the thread I didn't get a chance to play Crysis until after Crysis 2 and I don't see the consolification either. I see a refinement and a tuning of the formula, yes. Crysis 1 looks extremely large, but in terms of actual gameplay its still a series of open sandboxes with narrow paths between. I honestly expected something more like Fallout in terms of open-ness from how the game is touted.

2San

Vulcano's assistant said:
Careful man!, we don't want people flooding the thread with screens.
Honestly vanilla Crysis does looks bad imo. Without mods Crysis is just meh visually, all things considered. Though the
ice section
was pretty impressive.

Haunted

Corky said:
Going by the looks of things gamer across the world doesn't really seem to care about Japanese devs either.
ice cold

teacupcopter said:
PCPLZ.jpg
That's probably a pretty good comparison.

And honestly, you can see that Crysis 1 isn't the end-all-be-all, either (obviously). Just look at that tree, the clearly polygonal trunk and flat foliage (although there's a photorealistic foliage mod out there that's mighty impressive) show that the game is from 2007 after all.

That said... consider the overall graphical fidelity, consider that it is a game that does not convey particularly well in screenshots (insane considering the goodness often shown, I know), consider the scale, and consider its time of release.

And then you add the mods that came out on top of these considerations... damn. Landmark title, no doubt.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The tank screen literally looks like an N64 game. It's a worthless screen shot.

I don't think 'literally' is the right word here...

So this might be a good reference N64 shot right?
p77515717-2wy1b.jpg

Or this?
thumbta4j.jpg

These are 'literally' what an N64 shot looks like.

2San

Corky said:
Bad artistically or technically?
I actually liked the style Crysis had going for it(it just wasn't the right setting for a shooter, but that's another story). It's just some of the high res textures looks like shit.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
2San said:
I actually liked the style Crysis had going for it. It's just some of the high res textures just looks like shit.

Let's be fair now,

"it's just some of the high res textures just looks like shit"
and
"the game looks bad"

Are two completely different things. Cryis 1 vanilla with max settings is still amazing looking, and yet it's what 4,5 years old?

mclaren777 said:
I'm thrilled that Crytek is bringing this game to the consoles and I'll gladly give them $20 to play it.

My thoughts, exactly. Couldn't really play it on my computer, even though I bought it on Steam, but from what I played, it was really fun for the most part. Except the incredibly too smart AI.

Always-honest said:
Do you really need this? I mean, really? Is it something in your past that caused this?

OK Fair enough, that was mainly because I hate the argument that YOU NEED A BILLION DOLLAR PC TO RUN AT THOSE LEVELS when you can get a PC for only a tad more than a console these days that will run it fine. It was a low blow.

I really do want beastly consoles. They are more efficient, easier to use and generally developers (crytek aside :p) can REALLY take advantage of the hardware due to it being standardised.

Imagine the shit Naughty Dog are pulling out now, they are almost keeping up with PCs... imagine that on hardware deserving of them *drool*

Red

Littleberu said:
My thoughts, exactly. Couldn't really play it on my computer, even though I bought it on Steam, but from what I played, it was really fun for the most part. Except the incredibly too smart AI.
Good thing they fixed that for the sequel.

KKRT00

Haunted said:
ice cold

That's probably a pretty good comparison.
No its not, its not vanilla and console screen is strange and its quite different from rest scenes of a trailer.

This one is good. Same area, different settings and actual good console screen.
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/ve3d/images/01/74/17453_CrysisDetailVert.jpg

http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Ri...ysis-Console-ScreenShot0114.jpg?cb=1315613166

and part of my post w beyond3D

godrays, tonemapping as i remember, are exclusive to very high and both are in console version
also POM, which will probably be lacking in console version, but You can see that they simulate it with geometry [tire mark texture and small rocks]
SSAO, its absent in medium and we know that CE 3 ssao implementation is better than CE 2 from papers.
Object motion blur - high lacks it, its in console version
DOF - medium lacks it, high has quite bad one [here] and CE 3 simulates bokeh even on consoles
textures are high quality mostly
+ deferred rendering that enchance night gameplay and indoors
- shadow quality, probably smth between med and high, but closer to med
refraction and transparency of suit in stealth mode, glass etc is also better handled in CE 3

2San

Corky said:
Are two completely different things. Cryis 1 vanilla with max settings is still amazing looking, and yet it's what 4,5 years old?
While bad was an overstatement. Saying it still looks amazing is an overstatement as well. It looks ok I guess. Crysis just isn't game that ages well, that's attributed to the art direction I guess. Running Crysis max setting will not "wow" console gamer these days.

kyubajin

Graphics. Serious business. Some of us really don't care, we just want to play the bloody game once and for all.

Crunched said:
Good thing they fixed that for the sequel.
OK, this got me :)

Gotta say though, its probably easier to make AI seem more intelligent in an open landscape than it is in an urban setting. But hot damn did the human AI in Crysis 2 detract from what was otherwise a great campaign.

Corky

2San said:
While bad was an overstatement. Saying it still looks amazing is an overstatement as well. It looks ok I guess. Crysis just isn't game that ages well, that's attributed to the art direction I guess. Running Crysis max setting will not "wow" console gamer these days.

For for the sake of not shitting this thread up I'll just agree to disagree, because holy shit do I disagree that Crysis just looks OK. I'm playing wolfenstein right now, the latest one from two years ago and that game looks OK by todays standards.

2San

Corky said:
For for the sake of not shitting this thread up I'll just agree to disagree, because holy shit do I disagree that Crysis just looks OK. I'm playing wolfenstein right now, the latest one from two years ago and that game looks OK by todays standards.
Fair enough. Honestly Crysis has more merits gameplaywise than graphically.

teacupcopter said:
I really do want beastly consoles. They are more efficient, easier to use and generally developers (crytek aside :p) can REALLY take advantage of the hardware due to it being standardised.

Imagine the shit Naughty Dog are pulling out now, they are almost keeping up with PCs... imagine that on hardware deserving of them *drool*
Oh same here.

Red

inSan said:
This is all just blatant lying or some weird kind of denial.

To say the console version looks bad is crazy, but to say the PC version "looks ok" is off-the-deep-end, seek help now insanity.

Frankfurt

Banned
Corky said:
Let's be fair now,

"it's just some of the high res textures just looks like shit"
and
"the game looks bad"

Are two completely different things.

Funny, because PC GAF calls many 720p console games shit/bad/awful precisely because of textures "looking like shit". See the previous Crysis Remastered thread. Witcher 2 on 360 thread. BF3 PS3 footage thread.

Trickster

Foliorum Viridum said:
Can I punch every ignorant/stupid person who thinks Crysis is only about the graphics?

Cheers.

Crysis 1 + expansion weren't very enjoyable to play for me, wasn't having much fun at all. Very pretty game though.

Crysis 2 was much better, had a blast playing it, plus it looked much better than crysis 1 overall.

So Crytek has improved alot in making more than a pretty game for sure.

This is my oppinion of course.

Corky

-GOUKI- said:
Wow the damage control coming from PC fanboys is crazy in here

I love posts like this. Comparing pc vs console games boils down to pc fanboys/elitism/butthurt/damagecontrols.

Comparing 360 vs ps3 games is good business practice called DigitalFoundry apparently, and people sit and discuss contrast differences between platforms for 200 pages.

Frankfurt said:
Funny, because PC GAF calls many 720p console games shit/bad/awful precisely because of textures "looking like shit". See the previous Crysis Remastered thread. Witcher 2 on 360 thread. BF3 PS3 footage thread.

PC GAF is not a uniform entity with one opinion.

Trickster said:
Crysis 1 + expansion were very enjoyable to play for me, wasn't having much fun at all. Very pretty game though.

Crysis 2 was much better, had a blast playing it, plus it looked much better than crysis 1 overall.

So Crytek has improved alot in making more than a pretty game for sure.

This is my oppinion of course.
Yeah that's fine. I think 2 isn't nearly as good as the first, but it's a valid opinion.

"HUR CRYSIS IS A TECH DEMO" isn't when it's one of the deepest and most enjoyable FPS ever made!

2San

Crunched said:
This is all just blatant lying or some weird kind of denial.

To say the console version looks bad is crazy, but to say the PC version "looks ok" is off-the-deep-end, seek help now insanity.
Vanilla crysis really isn't that pretty. I honestly think mirror's edge for example looks more stunning.

Red

Frankfurt said:
There are a few users here who may ascribe to the "master race" mentality, and go out of their way to disparage console games just because. But I think it's safe to say that most of us PC gamers post in threads like this to keep expectations in check and correct statements that call console port visuals comparable or equal to what can be pushed on a high-end PC.

I think this Crysis port looks great for a console game, and I'll be buying it. But to pretend that it looks as good as the PC version is silly. To pretend that bleeding-edge visuals are paramount to the experience is also silly.

Cryengine 3 is an amazing piece of tech.

2San said:
Vanilla crysis really isn't that pretty. I honestly think mirror's edge for example looks more stunning.
Mirror's Edge has a great, unique art style that's immediately more striking, that's for sure. But Crysis 1 maxed out is a sight to behold. I'd say it's still the best looking shooter on the market, with competition only from Metro 2033 and Crysis 2. It's not just ok. It's four years old and still top of its class.

You're arguing art and that's a subjective thing. Mirror's Edge also has the advantage of being easier to run. Crysis was a performance nightmare on release and still has trouble on a lot of PCs. But on a machine with the brute force to run it with settings cranked up -- man. It's incredible.

You also say "vanilla," but PC users aren't limited to the vanilla experience. Console users are.

Kerub

Banned
2San said:

Mainly due to art style.

I'm pretty sure Crysis is more technologically advanced than ME.

delta25

Banned
teacupcopter said:
Oh well, enjoy your sub par port of a PC game from 2007 that will probably run at sub HD at a shit frame rate with lowered geometry, keep fighting against the PC elite instead of hoping for consoles that compete for once :)

Insecurity to the max lol

Looking at games like killzone 3, Gears 3 and Uncharted 3, I'd say the consoles are doing just fine and dandy competing with the PC.

2San said:
crysis49mjv.jpg

crysis5qmks.jpg

crysis3ymry.jpg

crysis35m7l.jpg

crysisas12m0l.jpg

That's from one of my playthroughs of Crysis on my old PC. All vanilla.

It looks much better with mods now I've used them, but fuck, vanilla is still gooood.

Due to that being my older PC it wasn't even entirely maxed either.

DarkChild

Banned
delta25 said:
Insecurity to the max lol

Looking at games like killzone 3, Gears 3 and Uncharted 3, I'd say the consoles are doing just fine and dandy competing with the PC.
The thing that consoles have over PCs are dediceted developers with alot of money to put in great art assets. Outside few PC games you won't see that that frequently. Just look at Stalker...Patch high resolution textures, tell your artists to make the worst fucking trees and grass that they can make and put some nice lighting. Than max it, force AA and slap those pictures on forums. KZ3 still looks better than almost any other PC exclusive FPS.

Foliorum Viridum said:
That's from one of my playthroughs of Crysis on my old PC. All vanilla.

It looks much better with mods now I've used them, but fuck, vanilla is still gooood.

Due to that being my older PC it wasn't even entirely maxed either.

IMO those graphics look a tiny bit too angular.

Top Bottom