• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crystal Bearers E3 Trailer

adama-rama

Neo Member
Never got into previous Final Fantasy games, turn based game play isn't really my thing. The more action style of this looks awesome.

Might have to check out the previous titles if this is any good.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Posted in the other thread, but this is just awesome. God I hope that means 2009 and not early 2010.

I am interested in this game, but for the of........leave the japanese track in the game so those of us who value our ears can avoid the horrid american voice acting. Just give us subs.

jibblypop

Banned
I love the art style of this game!
I am very very turned off by the cyber-goth look of Final Fantasy 13 so this game could be the one aimed at me.
I just hope that it plays smoothly.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
agrajag said:
The graphics look pretty bad. HVS games' craphics > this.
no. it's largely the trailer's quality at fault here. see proper trailers with the some of the same scenes at the game's site - HVS have yet to work on their titles to reach this quality.

agrajag

Banned
Technically, HSV games look way, way, way better in terms of everything: geometry, texture quality, effects.

Do you have the link for the proper trailer? Because so far this game looks, inexplicably, worse than the Crystal Bearers WiiWare game.

blu

agrajag said:
Technically, HSV games look way, way, way better in terms of everything: geometry, texture quality, effects.
technically, they don't - both companies' technologies rely heavilly on:

* EMBM (for both camera-dependent per-pixel specularities and post-processing filters)
* DOF
* precomputed GI lightmaps

(yes, i've looked carefully into all footage i've come across)

it's just that SE are way more skillful with those- you can tell by the subtle uses of the tech that unobtrusively add to a scene's appearance. with HVS it's often in-your-face when the tech is there, or inexplicably missing when they failed to use it to the point. that can be attributed to the difference in class of their artists' tech skills and/or rushing the product.

Do you have the link for the proper trailer? Because so far this game looks, inexplicably, worse than the Crystal Bearers WiiWare game.
that's what a hackjob of a trailer can do to an otherwise technically impressive game. go check the jp site of the game - they have the longest offically-released trailer so far (AFAIK): main page -> multimedia (bottom right-most) -> left entry : play (sorry, it's entirely flash). pay special attention to the overall lighting, animations and camera work, even before devling into details.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
C'mon people, this trailer does have a weird image quality but we all know the game looks nice from other videos and direct feed screens. And even if you haven't been seeing the released media, what was the last SE game that didn't look great for the system it was on? This should go without saying, they rarely underdeliver on the visual presentation.

33l1so7.jpg

2nu66i8.jpg

Anyway, what we know of the gameplay, scope and ideas is ace. Can't wait for impressions on the playable E3 build.

EDarkness

Damn, the site is getting pounded on.

Anyway, I thought the trailer was trying to add in too many events and should have been more streamlined like the Japanese one. Still, that doesn't make me any less excited. Can't wait to play this game. Hopefully there will be some good impressions from the show. Looking forward to the next couple of days.

And even if you haven't been seeing the released media, what was the last SE game that didn't look great for the system it was on?

Well, there was that Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers for the Wii. You remember that game?

Seriously, I really didn't think it was all that visually impressive. I really did think Dreamcast from a few shots. The geometry was low, there's no bump maps or any kind. The lighting of the models are static, the textures are decent, and barely anything eye catching except maybe the bad hair on a few characters.

The gameplay could be good. That's really all that matter at this point.

vareon

Cheesy voice acting, and the trailer itself wasn't at the best quality (except for the music at the end). Still getting awesomely hyped :D

Fuu

Cow Mengde said:
Well, there was that Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers for the Wii. You remember that game?

Seriously, I really didn't think it was all that visually impressive. I really did think Dreamcast from a few shots. The geometry was low, there's no bump maps or any kind. The lighting of the models are static, the textures are decent, and barely anything eye catching except maybe the bad hair on a few characters.

The gameplay could be good. That's really all that matter at this point.
You can come to that opinion, nothing I can do about that. My main point is that this trailer is in a wonky quality and isn't really representative of the game's graphics.

blu

Cow Mengde said:
^^ and that, kids, is what happens when you subject yourself to too much in-your-face next-gen-ness. you lose your ability to see elementary things like dynamic lighting on the characters.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Looks fine and looks fun to play.

Voice acting and dialogue were pretty cringe-worthy, I was honestly expecting more.

Teknoman

MoogPaul said:
The logo made me vomit all over my screen.

Its kinda close to the original Final Fantasy Logos. The ones before it hit NA.

Fuu said:
C'mon people, this trailer does have a weird image quality but we all know the game looks nice from other videos and direct feed screens. And even if you haven't been seeing the released media, what was the last SE game that didn't look great for the system it was on? This should go without saying, they rarely underdeliver on the visual presentation.

33l1so7.jpg

2nu66i8.jpg

Anyway, what we know of the gameplay, scope and ideas is ace. Can't wait for impressions on the playable E3 build.

How'd the trailer quality get reduced that much?

ivysaur12

Banned
Fuu said:

Geez, IGN, what the hell did you do to the trailer?

blu

Teknoman said:
How'd the trailer quality get reduced that much?
we may never know, but here's a theory: re-encoding from web-quality footage, trying to doctor things up ('hey, let's fix that low contrast here..') and totally fucking things up.

anyhow, this trailer is the very definition of a 'hackjob'. definitely does the game a disservice.

Davidion

I'm very much looking forward to this game. The whole flying and falling through open skies trying to blow shit out the air with some giant gun thing that's bigger than you are looks like some hot shit.

I'm a bit weary of the IR-based telekinesis...thing, but I guess we'll see how it all works out.

Oh yeah, I agree that it has horrible dialog and logo, but...whatever. :lol

LaneDS

Looks like a lot of fun to me personally. A little cheesy, but the gameplay looks like it'll be interesting and fun.

tenritsu

Banned
Fuu said:

33l1so7.jpg

2nu66i8.jpg

Dang, thats a big difference X_X.

justchris

I'm really looking forward to this game. The voice acting is incredible, and the dialog is atrocious, which is perfect for the spirit of this game. The main character's a complete asshole and I love it. Better than any FF game in a long while on that alone.

Enkidu

I think the game looks great personally, but from the moment I saw those airships in that trailer we got way back, they've always reminded me of Skies of Arcadia. So I guess I can sort of see where the Dreamcast comments are coming from.

Namomura

the E3 demo of the game has basically only what you can see in that video : first 20 minutes of the game actually.

Fuu

Namomura said:
the E3 demo of the game has basically only what you can see in that video : first 20 minutes of the game actually.
:(

Seriously, after the low quality trailer and the content in this demo it almost appears as if someone is intentionally trolling the game behind the scenes. :lol Wouldn't it be better to get a mid game mission or something with more action?

Anyway:

zx3zg1.jpg

Medals in the demo = random optional collect-a-thon in the main game basically confirmed. Awesome.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This needs a proper walkthrough without Brittney Spears playing in the background. It looks sweet so far though. Dig flying your airship through Beggers Canyon back home.

Fuu

GDGF said:
This needs a proper walkthrough without Brittney Spears playing in the background. It looks sweet so far though. Dig flying your airship through Beggers Canyon back home.
I think so too. These random sequences look like fun, drive and airship, fall from the skies shooting monsters, chill on the couch and throw some hos, etc.

Fuu

Also, here are the screens from the zip at Nintendo's press site. All are old but first time direct feed. I think it looks nice.

Bitch away about the lack of AA if you must but by now we know what to expect from Wii screenshots versus the actual game in motion.

mou81.jpg

28h1sli.jpg

2rx8o6q.jpg

10elwxw.jpg

rjod9k.jpg

11t2wsp.jpg

batbeg

I guess that's all the were talking about when they mentioned you get to control the airship a year or two ago, whenever that was. While part of me thinks that's disappointing, I just thought it looked too fun to care :D It kind of reminded me of the FFIX cutscene where you're escaping Black Waltz No. 3, except now you get to play it :eek:

I feel that I'm going to love these playable scenes. Variety was a key part to my love of Disaster, and combining that kind of variety with a FFCC game... :eek:

That's such a poor demo for them to put out, but I'd murder to play it. I don't even want to think of how much fun I'd have with even that little. And the graphics look incredible!

Why aren't more people hyped about this?! :(

Top Bottom