• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crystal Dynamics is working with The Initiative on Perfect Dark

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Is it possible the game was rebooted recently? No way it should be "early in development" at this stage with a studio roped in as co-developer (this is no simple outsourcing).

Because I remember Phil Spencer said YEARS AGO he has played Perfect Dark. Hell, even Drew's daughter was playing Perfect Dark in her home, and even that was a year or so ago.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
LOOOL, super AAAA studio needs help.

That's a pretty underwhelming announcement. I though the initiative was supposed to be the big AAAA Microsoft studio. So why are they partnering with crystal dynamics of all people? Lmao

At least they took the initiative to admit they were fucked all alone.

Is this the same as outsourcing? Or are they co-developing? What's the difference and why announce it like this if it was just some outsourcing?

Phil Spender does it all alone.

You guys need as much help as the Initiative you are a shitting on.

How often does this happen?

Also still in early development?

Literally with every AAA game you have to outsource and/or co-develop.
Making a AAA game today alone is impossible.
A studio would need to be so big and multilayered it might as well break itself up into multiple separate studios.

Perrott

Is it possible the game was rebooted recently? No way it should be "early in development" at this stage with a studio roped in as co-developer (this is no simple outsourcing).

Because I remember Phil Spencer said YEARS AGO he has played Perfect Dark. Hell, even Drew's daughter was playing Perfect Dark in her home, and even that was a year or so ago.
Playable prototypes of a game are there nearly from the very beginning, so of course Phil and the development team have played something. Project Dylan was playable at Bioware for YEARS before it even resembled the game that it would end up becoming in the end (Anthem), so having a game in playable state is not really telling of how far along production is.

Last edited:

slade

MS took that 'let the studios do whatever they want,' adage too seriously. At a certain point, if they are not producing, it's time to take out the stick.

Black_Stride

23 studios n needs 3rd party help ok
Silly

Ubisoft has 40 some studios and still outsources work to 3rd parties

EA has like 30 studios and they outsource work to third parties

Sony has 18 odd studios and they still outsource with third party partners.

If you dont know how AAA game development works shut the fuck up.

reksveks

I quite like the tomb raider reboot so okay with this move. I do think Microsoft needs to scale up some of their studios, still don't get how mojang is one of the biggest studios but at least they are now working on multiple games.

The question is, are CD coming in as a typical outsourcing house, working on art and animation (typical area that is outsourced) or are they more integrated into the team than that.

If they're more integrated that brings a whole set of challenges unless they're coming in to work on a specific aspect of the game (e.g. Multiplayer mode if that can easily be separated).

Just throwing an entire established code and design team from CD into the mix is not as straight forward as outsourcing asset creation. They'll have their own way of working, likely they own code base and tools they're accustomed to (even if they're using something like Unreal). It's not like you just add a few hundred people to a team and - voila - they're all working efficiently.

If I were a betting man, I'd assume that CD were doing the bulk of the game (maybe even driving the development itself) and The Initiative were giving overarching design direction. But then, I'm not a betting man so...

Black_Stride

Makes sense to bring in a studio who have rebooted a huge franchise with great results before. Looks like Microsoft is prepared to spend a lot of money to get this right and give the franchise the game it deserves.

Also makes sense to get a bunch of people who have already worked with members of The Initiative before.
A good number of TI members are ex-Crystal Dynamics, so collaborating shouldnt be too hard or alien to them.

Black_Stride

The question is, are CD coming in as a typical outsourcing house, working on art and animation (typical area that is outsourced) or are they more integrated into the team than that.

If they're more integrated that brings a whole set of challenges unless they're coming in to work on a specific aspect of the game (e.g. Multiplayer mode if that can easily be separated).

Just throwing an entire established code and design team from CD into the mix is not as straight forward as outsourcing asset creation. They'll have their own way of working, likely they own code base and tools they're accustomed to (even if they're using something like Unreal). It's not like you just add a few hundred people to a team and - voila - they're all working efficiently.

If I were a betting man, I'd assume that CD were doing the bulk of the game (maybe even driving the development itself) and The Initiative were giving overarching design direction. But then, I'm not a betting man so...

A good number of The Initiative are ex-Crystal Dynamic.
The Initiative is still leading the project, co-developing isnt an alien idea.
Darrell is likely just bringing in the most talented members he remembers from Crystal Dynamic to help get this project where he wants it.

P.S Darrell Gallagher was the head of Crystal Dynamic before becoming the head of The Initiative

Cool. Probably is a good fit.

Wonder if this is because Microsoft needs skilled talent to work on the game so they're partnering aka outsourcing with crystal dynamics. Meaning they can't hire fast enough

Initiative Studio head is former head of CD, Darell Galegar. So he must have approached them for certain things as game must be too big or ambitious.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Why does no one listen to me? I have said more then a few times that I'm wary of Microsoft buying and making all these studios because I think they will be spreading themselves too thin.

Here is proof. They are already outsourcing. They just started development. Why are they announcing this?

Said this shit 3 years ago

Last edited:

cHaOs667

Maybe CD was in financial trouble, the Initiative was unable to hire enough staff and this is just a test balloon if CD could fit, as a whole, within Microsoft Studios or The Initiative.

Actually, I've seen this happening a couple of times in "normal" software development companies.

Black_Stride

Why does no one listen to me? I have said more then a few times that I'm wary of Microsoft buying and making all these studios because I think they will be spreading themselves too thin.

Here is proof. They are already outsourcing. They just started development. Why are they announcing this?

Said this shit 3 years ago
Why does nobody listen to you?
Because, you are talking outta ya ass and no one likes the taste of shit.

They are outsourcing so they are spreading themselves too thin.

Tell me a AAA studio that doesnt outsource and/or co-develop with other studios.
Very few if any AAA games since the X360/PS3 have been solo development ventures.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Tell me a AAA studio that doesnt outsource and/or co-develop with other studios.
Very few if any AAA games since the X360/PS3 have been solo development ventures.
Studios outsource. They rarely co-develop.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Hope it ends up being similar to Tomb Raider 2013. Announcement isn’t surprising, The Intiiative still had a surprisingly low number of employees and are still recruiting in large numbers.

Black_Stride

This seems like bad news to me. Ffs
Because, transparency is a bad thing right?

Look deep in the credits for any of your favorite AAA games youll see a number of other studios in there.

If they arent listed just go to their websites or gameindustry to see what who has worked on, youll be shocked how many studios it actually takes to put a AAA game together.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

this, it has to have been rebooted. Either Microsoft announced the project waaaaaaay too early or something is not right and they’ve rebooted.

reksveks

nI30erD.jpg

It's not a big studio and don't think they have been hiring that quickly

What are you talking about? The game was officially announced in December 2020.

23 studios n needs 3rd party help ok
Silly

Naughty Dog needed 14 studios and over 2000 people to make The Last of Us 2. I mean, let's not pretend as if this isn't common practice for the industry. You know how many games start out from a smaller subset of creative leads and senior designers initially and then ultimately goes on to receive serious manpower and support from various outside contractors and established studios? The key difference with The Initiative is they've been more heavily watched and followed from the start. Every new addition, every time they get some talent from Naughty Dog or Santa Monica Studio, whatever.

And what makes you think all those other studios aren't already pre-occupied with their own major projects? In some ways I understand going this route, as it might not be viewed as fair that another team that had a whole other vision for what they wanted to make, end up working on The Initiative's vision for a Perfect Dark reboot.

They already have a prototype because it's been played by Phil, by one of their previous lead designers who moved back over to Insomniac, likely to work on Wolverine no doubt. The goal is to bring that package together into something more complete and awesome that can be shown to the public and then eventually released to very positive reception. Time will tell, but I'm a whole lot more excited now in the direction of this game because it has a studio that's proven on it. A studio that is very, VERY good with system's based gameplay mechanics, immersive set-pieces, stealth elements, solid character progression, etc. You name it, Crystal Dynamics has done it in one form or another at a very high level with the Tomb Raider titles.

sol_bad

So basically another whole console cycle until MS get some good quality AAA games to market. Only been waiting 3 generations, what's one more.
Seriously, this is poor form, they spend all this money on studios and still can't make their games on their own.

People defending this by saying all studios outsource, yeah, this is true but they generally outsource to smaller companies who deal with smaller projects. It's not often that one supposed AAA developer will outsource major projects to another AAA developer. And they only have 71 employees? Why were they tasked with an AAA Perfect Dark than?

I still don't understand wtf MS are doing.

Chukhopops

So that’s how it’s going to be until February next year I guess? A bunch of starved trolls and time travelers shitting on everything?
So basically another whole console cycle until MS get some good quality AAA games to market. Only been waiting 3 generations, what's one more.
Seriously, this is poor form, they spend all this money on studios and still can't make their games on their own.

People defending this by saying all studios outsource, yeah, this is true but they generally outsource to smaller companies who deal with smaller projects. It's not often that one supposed AAA developer will outsource major projects to another AAA developer. And they only have 71 employees? Why were they tasked with an AAA Perfect Dark than?

I still don't understand wtf MS are doing.
I can’t tell who is serious and who is making parody posts at this point.

MonarchJT

Banned
Is this the same as outsourcing? Or are they co-developing? What's the difference and why announce it like this if it was just some outsourcing?
probably because you didn't get the word collaborating......the initiative is a very VERy small studio anyone knew they would need to integrate people for the project ... good thing they took an already established studio like CD instead of taking several people who had to learn to collaborate (not knowing each other)

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Tell me how many of those studios announce the fact that they are outsourcing?

Fact of the matter is they can't do it alone and it's becoming a apparent that the supposed AAAA game the Initiative was going to make now needs the help from a studio who barely makes AAA games.

The writings are on the wall. Microsoft needs to chill out and properly cultivate the studios they have. They always just throw money at problems. They did it with buying Mixer, then buying Shroud and Ninja. They do this shit all the time instead of doing what is required to be able compete at the level Sony does. That's why I prefer the way Sony is growing. Organically. Not buying studios on the Brink of closing down. But working with studios who have proven they can stand on their own two feet and joining Sony is simply a bonus.

Maybe I am talking out of my ass, but I'm telling you something doesn't feel right about this.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Surprised CD had enough people to help them when they struggled on Avengers and presumably developing Guardians at the same time.

How many teams are there at CD?

Top Bottom