• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek wants 8GB of RAM in next-gen consoles

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder how much RAM Epic figures they'd need for their next-gen range of games.

If devs have the use-cases for 4+ GB of RAM, then I hope they're accommodated. Talking about what's necessary or what's overkill today isn't very persuasive to me.

M3d10n

No existing PC game uses more than 2GBs of RAM, because that's the maximum a 32-bit application can use (for games it can be a lot less, actually, depending on how they use VRAM) and nobody had the need to write 64-bit exclusive games (yet).

wwm0nkey

You know what I want. Valve to make an Steam OS based PC and market it as "a console that can be upgraded as the user wants."

Dennis

Banned
gofreak said:
Talking about what's necessary or what's overkill today isn't very persuasive to me.
Talking about finding space on a console board for anything more than 2-4GB RAM and for a reasonable price within the next few years isn't very persuasive to me.

People on this board way overestimate the progress of tech. Talk of high-end GPUs and 8GB RAM is crazy talk.

DieH@rd said:
im aiming for a $599 console :D

The last company that tried this wiped out all the profits made on their preceeding consoles for the last ten years. I don't think anyone would be mad enough to try it again.

B.K. said:
I never understood why the current consoles had so little RAM. It's not that expensive anymore. There's no reason to have under 1GB.
even the slightest price increase due to a part in something which is made constantly is going to take money out of the developers pocket, the 360 nearly launched with 256 ram before epic tipped the scales with gears 1 target renders, it cost microsoft multiple millions just to do that.

2-3 GB system RAM, 1 GB VRAM on PS4/Xbox 3. Calling it now.

Also, hopefully Sony continues with their traditional 'WTF this is so fucking hard to program for that it'll take 2-3 years to get the hang of it' off-the-wall CPU designs.

Dennis

Banned
Haunted said:
That's the third thread on this interview, if I counted correctly.

*mocks OP*
CryTek is really getting their moneys worth of publicity on that interview. Good show.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DennisK4 said:
Talking about finding space on a console board for anything more than 2-4GB RAM and for a reasonable price within the next few years isn't very persuasive to me.

People on this board way overestimate the progress of tech. Talk of high-end GPUs and 8GB RAM is crazy talk.

Maybe, but my point remains...I'm not convinced when people talk about application needs and XYZ being overkill. If devs can make use of these amounts and it's physically/technically possible, I hope they're accommodated if at all possible. If not, up to what is possible.

Nizz

Does more ram equal better framerates? I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world, does more ram relate directly to increased framerates?

Zzoram

you can't even buy a PC with less than 4GB of RAM anymore

next gen consoles will probably have 2GB and be overtaken in RAM by tablets a year later

They would be lucky to get half of that. I am expecting more like 2GB, 8GB is just crazy talk. It would be nice no doubt, but I just don't see that happening.

kodt

Banned
purple cobra said:
Does more ram equal better framerates? I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world, does more ram relate directly to increased framerates?

Better textures, larger environments, less loading.

I think next gen consoles should have at least 2GB RAM and 2GB VRAM.

I don't think 8 is ridiculous, sure games don't need it now, but in 10 years 8 won't be that much. (On PCs at least)

McLovin

I guess they want to future proof it, but it's still overkill. Give me 2-4gb of really fast ram and I'll be a happy camper.

Zzoram said:

next gen consoles will probably have 2GB and be overtaken in RAM by tablets a year later
Good point, 4 gb would be the sweet spot imo.

Sethos

Banned
kodt said:
Better textures, larger environments, less loading.

The GPU also needs to be on par, you can't just pump out massive textures just because you have a heap of ram. It also needs to be drawn.

purple cobra said:

Yes and no. What it does mean is bigger levels, way better textures, less load times, more variety of objects/textures/levels, and gameplay can be smoother if more 'stuff' is loaded into RAM instead of being streamed from the HDD/optical drive.

ZoddGutts

RoboPlato said:
No way that's happening. I'll be shocked if we get more than two gigs of RAM.

2GB is too low for a console to have, maybe 2 or 3 years ago but not today. Plus ram is cheap especially DDR2.

Zzoram said:

Depending on the design of the console the ram might need to be super fast, so 4 gig of top end stuff is going to cost more, thus take more out of the final cut profit, and so on.

IMO next gen consoles will have 1.5 or 2gig max, anything more and i'll be super happy to pay £599 for it :p

Zzoram said:
kinda hard to convince console makers not to sell $499 consoles when $499 tablets are taking off
tablets are the new fad like smartphones, consoles are more of the same but with more power unless someone next gen pulls a nintendo.

paskowitz

I think between 4-6gb is pretty reasonable with 1-2gb going to video. It will be 2013 by then. I think they can get a console <$500 with 6gbs of memory by 2013.

Torrod

Neo Member
When you consider the jump from PS2 to PS3 in case of RAM, PS4 Generation could easily have RAM sizes of 6GB an more. Since the HD Generation is already very Memory-hungry, you should doubt the obvious ;)

BoobPhysics101 said:
2-3 GB system RAM, 1 GB VRAM on PS4/Xbox 3. Calling it now.

Also, hopefully Sony continues with their traditional 'WTF this is so fucking hard to program for that it'll take 2-3 years to get the hang of it' off-the-wall CPU designs.
I think that's doubtful based on what they have in the NGP. For PS4 I expect them to ask IBM for a cell like processor without being quite so complex - if such a thing exists. And for RAM they could go with 2 or 4GB versions of their current 3.2GHz XDR ps3 RAM if it isn't too expensive.

purple cobra said:
More ram means higher resolution, better textures etc. It doesn't necessarily translate into higher framerate.

Dennis

Banned
Good news about next gen: I guarantee much better texture standard

Bad news about next gen: Average framerates will be the same as now.

Casp0r

Banned
So much hate for Crytek on this board.

You realise they're talking about 'next generation' right? Not this generation, or the hd-pc generation ... but the next generation.

You know that thing all of you are all craving for ... 1080p+, 60fps, 3D, amazing lighting, high detail models, expansive dynamic physics, huge levels, less load times, full anti aliasing, dynamic cloth clothing, true dynamic hair etc etc

You know that pretty little tech demo from Epic ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM

Just about running on a SLI 3x Nvidia GTX 580 setup ... that's only roughly 4.5 Gigs of video memory right there alone ...

Oh but how fucking dare Crytek dream of a future where they can achieve 'Avatar' like graphics ... how dare Crytek even mention that having more of something good is good ... what a fucking outrage.

DaBuddaDa

Casp0r said:
Oh but how fucking dare Crytek dream of a future where they can achieve 'Avatar' like graphics ... how dare Crytek even mention that having more of something good is good ... what a fucking outrage.
We're not willing to subsidize the cost of this amount of RAM in the console's price. No more $500 console launches, please.

Top Bottom