• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek wants 8GB of RAM in next-gen consoles

Casp0r said:
So much hate for Crytek on this board.

You realise they're talking about 'next generation' right? Not this generation, or the hd-pc generation ... but the next generation.

You know that thing all of you are all craving for ... 1080p+, 60fps, 3D, amazing lighting, high detail models, expansive dynamic physics, huge levels, less load times, full anti aliasing, dynamic cloth clothing, true dynamic hair etc etc

You know that pretty little tech demo from Epic ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM

Just about running on a SLI 3x Nvidia GTX 580 setup ... that's only roughly 4.5 Gigs of video memory right there alone ...

Oh but how fucking dare Crytek dream of a future where they can achieve 'Avatar' like graphics ... how dare Crytek even mention that having more of something good is good ... what a fucking outrage.

The game engine only has access to 1.5GB actually.

Sethos

Banned
paskowitz said:
I think between 4-6gb is pretty reasonable with 1-2gb going to video. It will be 2013 by then. I think they can get a console <$500 with 6gbs of memory by 2013.

You can't really judge prices, availability and norms by 2013 - That's when the console is due for release. They are build off snap-shops during the concept phase and then you can basically shave off a few years, technology wise. When the 360 was released, looking at raw specifications, it was already comparable to low to mid-end PCs.

PSGames

shinobi602 said:
They might be thinking way down the line. For example, if Sony and MS's next console hit in 2013, they'll last maybe up until 2019-2020.

Who knows what kind of memory games that far down will take...

It would be nice if we could upgrade RAM throughout the generation like the N64 expansion pack.

LyR

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Consoles do NOT use RAM sticks, I hope you know that.

exactly, some guys never heard of custom-made products, even if you buy lots and lots of them, it is still expensive

Slime

Banned
I think we're going to get 3GB tops and then mourn when we hit a performance brick wall even faster than we did this generation. 8GB would be nice, but it would mean an expensive console, and I don't think any party is going to be open to something that presumptuous post-PS3.

Barrett2

How much RAM did the average high-end gaming PC have 5 yrs ago vs today? I would assume they are thinking about what will be needed 5-ish years from now.

Dennis

Banned
Casp0r said:
Just about running on a SLI 3x Nvidia GTX 580 setup ... that's only roughly 4.5 Gigs of video memory right there alone ...
But each GPU has access to only 1.5 GB framebuffer

But people can forget everything about even a single GTX 580 anyway.

brain_stew said:
DDR3? No thanks.
I don't really know much about hardware but isn't DDR3 the best you can get right now? But I know there's GDDR5 in graphics cards which is the part that confuses me when people discuss hw like this.

Ledsen

So many clueless people in this thread thinking they're talking about the same kind of RAM sticks you buy for pennies and put in your computer, and that the needs of a personal computer and a gaming machine are even comparable.

Dennis

Banned
lawblob said:
How much RAM did the average high-end gaming PC have 5 yrs ago vs today? I would assume they are thinking about what will be needed 5-ish years from now.
No. If they were to think 5 years ahead at launch like that the 360 and PS3 would never have launched with that little RAM.

Casp0r

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
We're not willing to subsidize the cost of this amount of RAM in the console's price. No more $500 console launches, please.

[sarcasm]... right because the price of memory never goes down ... ever[/sarcasm]

Elios83

Usually the jump in memory size from a generation to the next one is a 16X factor.
This one will be a longer than usual generation too.
So 16 times 512MB.....would be 8GB...
But that seems really unlikely to me at this point......although I might be influenced by thinking with the 'right now' mentality.
My guess is that 4GB will be the minimum, maybe a non unified architecture with a 4+2GB combo (system+video) might be possible. 8GBs seem too much 'right now' but who knows what's going to happen in a couple of years.

Dennis

Banned
Solid_Rain said:
I don't really know much about hardware but isn't DDR3 the best you can get right now? But I know there's GDDR5 in graphics cards which is the part that confuses me when people discuss hw like this.
XDR2 would be the dream RAM here.

2GB to go, please.

DieH@rd

Banned
3gb of ram and 1gb of video ram is absolute minimum of what i want from nextgen console. And even that seems low for 2013 console.

I upgraded my PC very slowly over the years, and i had that ammount of ram/vram more than a year ago.

Barrett2

DennisK4 said:
No. If they were to think 5 years ahead at launch like that the 360 and PS3 would never have launched with that little RAM.
Maybe they want to rectify the problems they saw develop with this gen? Hell, I don't know..

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sounds nice.

I want them to come hard. I want to have to buy a new GPU just so I can keep up with multiplat games. What a wonderful dream that is.

onQ123

brain_stew said:
512MB of eDRAM? Might as well ask for a gold casing while you're at it, its about as likely.

I said call me crazy lol besides if the Wii 2 is only a little bit more powerful than the Xbox 360 chances are Sony & MS will ride this Gen out a few more years & it might be 2014 or 2015 before we see the PS4

Amir0x

Banned
i have 12 gigs of RAM on my PC. 8 gigs in a console next-gen is not going to happen. Come on Crytek, cry some more

Dennis

Banned
Snuggler said:
Sounds nice.

I want them to come hard. I want to have to buy a new GPU just so I can keep up with multiplat games. What a wonderful dream that is.
The days of consoles launching with better hardware than current high-end PCs are long gone.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Dance In My Blood said:
I can't tell if you're joking or not.
I'm not...that is obviously the direction they're going from now on. Multiplatform development is a good way to cover all your bases and get as much money from your product as possible. They just have to keep pushing everything and create more compelling titles.

Although, I wish they focused on beast pc specs and go all out on that. ;p

Foxix Von

I'm all for more ram in the next consoles but 1 that's an excessive amount for a console and 2 that's never going to happen.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kaako said:
I'm not...that is obviously the direction they're going from now on. Multiplatform development is a good way to cover all your bases and get as much money from your product as possible. They just have to keep pushing everything and create more compelling titles.

Although, I wish they focused on beast pc specs and go all out on that. ;p
But their "safe" multi-platform shooter couldn't even outsell Black Ops in its first month.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
When do 8Gbit memory devices become available?

Are 4Gbit ones available now, even?

That'll probably inform as to what'll be possible.

I know Rambus were saying XDR/XDR-2 would (eventually) be scalable up to 8Gbit devices, but dunno how far they've got or what their timetable is.

Will 4 or 8Gbit devices be feasible in ~2013? 8 of these would give 4-8GB, same number of chips as was used on the 360 and PS3 motherboards.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
survivor said:
Is there a reason why consoles can't just go overkill with RAM since it's cheap? Or is there a technical reason for it?

There's no point? Outside of making in-game XMB run smoother (due to the way the XMB is coded) on the PS3-4-etc. for instance, there is no need outside of maybe buffers for that much RAM.

wwm0nkey

What I want to know is if this will be DDR3 or DDR4 RAM in the new console. Because DDR4 RAM is being worked on at the moment and expected to hit in 2012

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
survivor said:
Is there a reason why consoles can't just go overkill with RAM since it's cheap? Or is there a technical reason for it?
The larger the ram, the slower it is. For a console, I would argue faster ram is better then more ram in most cases.

Casp0r

Banned
Someone explain why they can't just throw an extra 4-6 gig of cheap PC RAM on top of the 'expensive' console RAM?

I mean PC's seem to game just fine with the cheap RAM.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Dance In My Blood said:
But their "safe" multi-platform shooter couldn't even outsell Black Ops in its first month.
That's because Black Ops aka the Call of Duty franchise is a proven freaking juggernaut. Crysis 2 on the other hand, is not. It is also the first Crysis game on the consoles.

No_Style

survivor said:

Because RAM isn't always cheap for the entirety of a console's life cycle. DDR2 may be cheap now, but what about in 3 year's time when everything is at DDR4? It's the same reason why hard drive sizes keep going up with PS3 and 360.

Casp0r said:
Someone explain why they can't just throw an extra 4-6 gig of cheap PC RAM on top of the 'expensive' console RAM?

I mean PC's seem to game just fine with the cheap RAM.

Because PC RAM is slow.

It's probably better to look at the amount of VRAM GPU's are shipping with these days.

Casp0r

Banned
H_Prestige said:
Because PC RAM is slow.

It's probably better to look at the amount of VRAM GPU's are shipping with these days.

My PC plays all of the mutli platform games better than the consoles ... Yet it's running this 'slow RAM' ...

Hexplain?

Top Bottom