• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current Gen's "Ah Ha!" Moment

Jamix012

I don't really think I personally will get an "AHA" moment on the Xbox One/PS4. They're nice for the games they're promising and such, but I kind of doubt either will break new ground (with the exception of VR, but that's yet to be really seen.)

The Wii U on the other hand? Man I wish more companies used the gamepad. ZombiU as a single (and multi) player experience was awesome, and Nintendo Land and a bunch of other party games really showed me how incredible the gamepad can be for multiplayer. I'm gonna miss the gamepad when its (likely) cut from the successor.

Oh ah, handhelds count too right? the 3D on the 3DS was something amazing to me at launch, and I still play with it on. The Vita is just a wonderful machine. Even despite the fact Ys: memories of Celceta is technically pretty lackluster with it's subnative res and 30 fps, it's still just an awesome game that defines the Vita in a lot of ways for me. The open world on a handheld, truly realised.

theWB27

I don't really think I personally will get an "AHA" moment on the Xbox One/PS4. They're nice for the games they're promising and such, but I kind of doubt either will break new ground (with the exception of VR, but that's yet to be really seen.)

The Wii U on the other hand? Man I wish more companies used the gamepad. ZombiU as a single (and multi) player experience was awesome, and Nintendo Land and a bunch of other party games really showed me how incredible the gamepad can be for multiplayer. I'm gonna miss the gamepad when its (likely) cut from the successor.

Oh ah, handhelds count too right? the 3D on the 3DS was something amazing to me at launch, and I still play with it on. The Vita is just a wonderful machine. Even despite the fact Ys: memories of Celceta is technically pretty lackluster with it's subnative res and 30 fps, it's still just an awesome game that defines the Vita in a lot of ways for me.

Excuse my unneeded question.

Mk8_toad_being_awesome.gif

yeah, strictly speaking about Nintendo, Mario Kart is the franchise that received the biggest visual enhancement this generation. It's quite striking going from MKWii/MK7 to this, especially when you see the changes made to retro tracks like Wii Moo Moo Meadows.

iX3JVdeQEl6B0.gif

cakely

My first "a-hah" moment was when, right after the PS4 launch, I was talking my friend on group chat while I was playing Resogun. He wanted to show me Warframe, so he shared it on twitch, and I started watching his stream without ever leaving voice chat.

The second "a-hah" moment was last week, when I booted up Destiny from my office on my Vita.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm hoping we get something straight up new soon. So much put into sequels that are great looking and probably play like butter, but ultimately are only a refinement of what we've experienced last gen, or even the gen before that.

We need games to break new ground.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The size and detail of Los Santos on my last gen console is probably still the most 'this gen a-ha' moment for me. Funny enough.

IvorB

Playing inFamous: Second Son and the graphics were so sparkly, the combat was so smooth and awesome and the music so funky. IT just screams next gen coolness. That did it for me, specifically the climb up that Space Needle and the fight at the top. I show people that game and it's certainly an "ah ha" moment for most people. Unfortunately there's been nothing since then.

Driveclub is the game that made me realise I may have been underestimating the PS4's capabilities after not being too impressed with a number of multiplats.

2532697-5757596279-qqlcy.gif

ibnaEcz7viI6MU.gif

qmzfuo.gif

RecentRecentGodwit.gif

morpix

Delsin's hands in InFamous: SS basically did that for me. It's the first time I saw video game hands rendered perfectly.

J3ffro

Mine happened this past weekend. I live in Phoenix, my brother moved to Portland six months ago so it was time for a visit. I had some downtime so I spent a half hour via remote play with my Vita playing Destiny with two buddies of mine. I didn't bring any type of headset, just earphones, but I could play and hear them just fine - only had to text them my responses.

It all came crumbling down when my wife, in Phoenix, turned on the PS4 to watch some Netflix. But, while it lasted it seemed pretty crazy to be a 1,000 miles away from my console and still play online with friends with no noticeable lag or delay to speak of.

Obscured

My first "a-hah" moment was when, right after the PS4 launch, I was talking my friend on group chat while I was playing Resogun. He wanted to show me Warframe, so he shared it on twitch, and I started watching his stream without ever leaving voice chat.

The second "a-hah" moment was last week, when I booted up Destiny from my office on my Vita.

This is a good point, I did have a similar thing last night. My level wasn't high enough in Destiny to do a strike with my friends, so I had them on party chat while doing patrol on Venus and had them snapped on the side via twitch watching them run their strike. It was both ridiculous and awesome.

Allforce

Honestly, I still think Resogun can be held up as a "holy shit this is next-gen" example. It's such a simple game but there's so much going on at once.

My other "a-ha!' experience is Dead Rising 3. Literally every person that I've shown that game to, even family members like my wife who doesn't care about games has had the same reaction to seeing a huge mob of zombies: "Whoaaaaaa".

bobawesome

Remote playing Persona 5 onto the Vita will surely be mine, gazing into the future.

I've had nothing magical to speak of so far.

Graphically I've yet to experience an ah-ha moment but there was a moment when playing titanfall after I'd figured out all the mechanics and got a great titan setup that I played a game where I went the whole match without dying...

By The end of the match my heart was pumping and my eyes were watering... I hadn't felt so genuinely excited about a game like that in a long time.

Arion

I was playing TLOU:Remastered and noticed more frames every second. I think two times the amount I saw on ps3. Blew my fucking mind.

Honestly not much ah ha moments yet other than better visuals and performance. Maybe we will see something next year

Verder

When i played P4G and FFX on Vita ( it felt really nice having great console rpgs on the go. Even if its a port)

PT

Im pretty sure Drive Club/ Forza Horizon will blow me away

TheXbox

Uncharted 4, assuming ND wasn't lying about the trailer being in-game and also assuming that the game won't get significantly downgraded before launch.

cakely

This is a good point, I did have a similar thing last night. My level wasn't high enough in Destiny to do a strike with my friends, so I had them on party chat while doing patrol on Venus and had them snapped on the side via twitch watching them run their strike. It was both ridiculous and awesome.

And very "next-gen". I remember thinking, "oh, yeah, these are brand-new consoles!"

Flarin

I don't know how I forgot PT in the OP. Yeah such an Ah ha moment for me: Amazing visuals, game available immediately, streaming helped a bit.

The full game is gonna be insane.

orochi91

Driveclub is the game that made me realise I may have been underestimating the PS4's capabilities after not being too impressed with a number of multiplats.

2532697-5757596279-qqlcy.gif

ibnaEcz7viI6MU.gif

qmzfuo.gif

RecentRecentGodwit.gif

Yea, hands down DC is the most impressive game I've seen this gen across ANY
platform. Simply outstanding.

Nothing comes close.

This is lame, but Suspend/Resume for a game like Madden '15. I play in Franchise mode and I'm consistently impressed when I turn on my console and within about 5 seconds boots to exactly where I left off skipping loading screens. The load times on sports games have been horrible since the very first sports game on PSX, so this is a major improvement for me, especially when I don't have time to play as many games as I used to.

LMP3iCI.png

Another game that recently made me feel like "this is really fresh..." was Fibbage. Now, I'm sure Fibbage could probably be done easily on any other console, but it works so damn well on Xbox one. It didn't get a lot of attention, but Fibbage is an 8 player trivia/stump game that requires no extra controllers, just your phone or tablet... which everybody has. It's by the You Don't Know Jack people, and basically, you load the game and then everybody goes to fibbage.com/unique-URL-for-your-game and your phone becomes your buzzer/input device. It works really well. We had 6 people playing last weekend and it was hilarious. It's instantly the best multiplayer game I've played in a while because the learning curve is effectively zero and you don't need any extra hardware like extra controllers or anything that you already have (assuming everybody who plays has a smart phone). For us there was no lag in answerings or voting, it just worked. Once in a while the room didn't load, but it happened for everybody and then just picked right back up working.

But these aren't graphical/technical/blah-blah achievments... they're just things I've never seen before in a game that are a marked improvement from the last generation and every generation before it. I'm sure Fibbage could work on PS3/360, but it doesn't, so ... kudos to that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's yet too come. Too many devs and publishers are still making cross gen titles so we've yet to see what kinds of things next gen can really do.

Koren

Probably Pikmin 3 for me...

SPECIALY the Luigi's Mansion minigame. GOD TIER couch multiplayer fun
I'd say I still prefer Pac-man VS. It hasn't been the success I was hoping for with friends, unfortunately. Still a good minigame.

Super Mario 3D World

Mario Kart 8
I agree that many Nintendo Wii U games are really well crafted. It's unfortunate that Wii U struggle so much, I've been enjoying it a lot. Not yet sold on PS4, but I guess the first batch of japanese games next year will probably make me jump somewhere near the end of 2015...

Top Bottom