• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current Gen's "Ah Ha!" Moment

Flarin

I've been thinking a lot lately about how every console generation had it's own "Ah Ha!" moment where everyone got what the new system(s) was about or a certain game that blew everyone away. While I've certainly enjoyed my PS4 a lot, I'm still waiting for that one game to blow me away.

infamous-second-son-image-3_1.jpg

Infamous Second Son is a damn pretty game, but doesn't really do anything all that innovative with its gameplay and the story was just okay for me.

I think the exact same thing could be said for Ryse and a number of other "launch window" exclusives for each system. While fun in their own rights, I think Watch Dogs and Destiny have both failed to deliver on the hype. I bought and enjoyed both thoroughly, but again didn't really blow me away.

So here's my question, GAF: What game do you think will be Gen 8's Ah Ha moment? What game will really show us what these new consoles can really do that wouldn't be close to possible on last gen?

I've personally got high expectations for Arkham Knight, Witcher III and Uncharted 4.

Corpekata

Banned
Depending on just how open Arkham Knight is I can see it being a contender. I think it's shaping up to be the game many thought we'd get after Asylum.

Depending on just how Unity and Sunset Overdrive handle their multiplayer I can see them too. Haven't been too many notable open world AAA titles with multiplayer integrated very well.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The 3 you mentioned are the most likely, but I'm hoping AC Unity will do something to surprise me as it's the only real current-gen exclusive AAA game coming out this year. AC1 was the first PS360 game to truly blow me away back in the day. Maybe Driveclub as well.

Depending on just how open Arkham Knight is I can see it being a contender. I think it's shaping up to be the game many thought we'd get after Asylum.

The game we got after Asylum was plenty impressive to me.

Corpekata

Banned
The 3 you mentioned are the most likely, but I'm hoping AC Unity will do something to surprise me as it's the only real current-gen exclusive AAA game coming out this year. AC1 was the first PS360 game to truly blow me away back in the day. Maybe Driveclub as well.

The game we got after Asylum was plenty impressive to me.

Good game but still pretty limited in scope. It felt like a mini-gotham. Mini. I was craving the full experience.

We've had lots of visual wow moments, but you're right - no gameplay wow moments yet. Even AC Unity looks set to only push visuals again (for the most part) through lighting quality and crowd density.

Personally hoping for The Witcher 3, The Division, and Uncharted 4 to pull something off with gameplay that makes me think "Yep, this needed new consoles to be possible."

Wigwam

Neo Member
I think the most likely will be The Witcher 3. Seeing that last half hour demo when he walked from outside the city right into the tavern without any loading was very cool.

Speaking for the PS4 and Xbone specifically, I don't think it will be an iterative edition of an existing franchise - I don't think it can be, just because making peoples hair flop in the wind a bit more or whatever isn't actually that big a deal if you're actually playing a game rather than watching videos of it / someone else play.

Something that really stakes its claim to be "next gen" pretty much has to be brand new and from the ground up, or radically different from a previous incarnation in the franchise (something like the Morrowind -> Oblivion leap I guess)

roytheone

I think it will be the order 1888. The gameplay looks meh, but man, that game looks insanely good. I literally can't see a difference between cgi cut scenes and in-game stuff. Truly incredible.

Paskil

This is difficult for me. The games that would actually blow me away will also be released on PC, which is probably (99.99999% likely) where I will buy them:

Fallout 4
Witcher 3

Maybe the new Batman? Based Rocksteady.

Mesoian

I honestly have no idea.

I sort of hope that it's the division and that game figures out how to merge a single player campaign with multiplayer in a way that actually feels cohesive and coherent, but i'm not holding my breath.

Maybe Scalebound? I'd laugh if it actually was Zelda U.

I don't know man.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Crowds like this with co-op are what i'm putting my hopes on as the "WOW this is next gen" moment. That and the newly revamped parkour in huge environments.
img-1-1.gif

1080p is the single most important part of next gen.

I'm frankly becoming tired of you GAMEPLAY apologists who seem to believe GAMEPLAY is so important to gamers.

Seriously guys, thats what 8bit indie games are for.

Flarin

This is probably like 3 years off still, but I just remembered Cyberpunk 2077 is a thing. That should be pretty insane.

I'm frankly becoming tired of you GAMEPLAY apologists who seem to believe GAMEPLAY is so important to gamers.

NotSureFry.jpg

Vaddon

Maybe Arkham Knight. Could even be AC: Unity, that's shaping up nicely.

For Wii U I'd imagine it'd either be Xenoblade Chronicles X or Zelda U.

Holykael1

Banned

???

I think this is sarcasm but these days you never know..

sjay1994

Crowds like this with co-op are what i'm putting my hopes on as the "WOW this is next gen" moment. That and the newly revamped parkour in huge environments.
img-1-1.gif

Going to second this. Those crowds in an open world are very impressive in concept. However it looks rough in all the footage we have seen so far. Hopefully they can polish it in time, and we don't end up with another AC3 situation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The UI not being insanely sluggish was probably my first one.

Haven't had any 'proper' ones yet like I did with Dead Rising 1 though. Mario Kart was definitely a 'wow this game is gorgeous' moment though.

theWB27

Assassins Creed Unity might

I'm pretty sure my ah ha moment will be my first time with The Division.

I can not wait for this game .

KKRT00

img-1-1.gif

Yep, i find Unity very impressed thanks to outstanding crowd rendering tech.

Other games will be probably The Division and Star Wars Battlefront

And of course Star Citizen on PC, it wont be current gen, but more like next-gen "Ah Ha" moment :)

Mahonay

Banned
For me, I think No Man's Sky has a good chance on delivering that feeling.

Everything else I've seen and played has not come off as games that were not possible to pull off last gen.

With that said, I have still enjoyed what I've played on my PS4 and look forward to stuff like The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne.

Tawpgun

The Xbone OS kinda blew my mind. The fact that you can have multiple shit running at the same time. The snap feature was cool.

I wish I could hook it up to TV service. I watched some world cup games on my friends tv which had the xbone hooked up and it had this awesome snapped app to it that made the experience awesome. If I could watch football with a fantasy app snapped :O

As far as games go, nothing really. Haven't played much though.

Zalman

Gameplay wise, probably Pikmin 3. The Wii U GamePad integration in that game is amazing. For graphics, I don't know and don't care much. MGS5 looks nice and I'm excited to play that, but yeah.

Bessy67

Titanfall gameplay is the one that sticks out for me. Complain about the graphics and lack of content all you want, but the underlying gameplay is pretty damn good.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I think it was probably my first few hours with Miiverse. It's a real shame that Nintendo have done such a lacklustre job of selling the idea of the Gamepad since then. I also hate the stamps. Down with the stamps.

Currently I've been very impressed with the visual fidelity of several games (Ryse, BF4, MGS:GZ). Hard to say this counts, since it's cross gen, but I was pretty impressed with Titanfall's gameplay dynamics.

For future games:The Division. From the trailers looks really impressive both visually and the detail of the open world.

Also want to throw a nod to Forza Horizion 2 - The open world racing it's been showing off looks super impressive.

Obscured

I'm hoping it is The Division. I expect prettier graphics in a new gen, but I really am expecting more social interconnection experiences to make worlds feel more populated and alive. For the same reason I could see The Crew also doing that or if the GTA V re-release actually has the online component to the level that we were expecting. That would be an interesting as it would highlight the move from last to current gen on the same game not just in the graphics department, but other aspects of the game as well.

was in infamous ss, in the basement part......when you get the video power......lord have mercy that part blew me away, along with the boss fight. it just looked incredible to me..........as you were Gents/Ladies!

Top Bottom