• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curt Schilling's "38 Studios" in trouble, skips payroll, bounces check to RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Of course I know that's not how it works. But it would be a great solution for a terrible situation in my opinion.

It would be a terrible solution and a terrible precedent.

Here in Canada the government will help you start a small business, which means tax dollars. Now starting a business comes with a LOT of chances of failure and it would be a terrible program if you could get stuck with it.

Now in terms of the money itself I think that is a huge problem... a new studio should be aiming to sell MAX 500K copies (new studio, new IP, people will adopt a wait and see attitude in the generation where games go 'bomba'. Before games had legs, not how it works anymore *I think yearly releases is helping that though*)

Its a shame but it shows you need to be grounded in reality.

Hope it works out, maybe downsize a bit or something who knows, it is definitely a shame it didn't turn into a massive hit (as I said in my last post; they got a lot right but forgot to make it fun)

saichi

never knew 38 studio has so many employees... yet they only released one game in the last 3 years... not a very good business model.

Patryn

It would be a terrible solution and a terrible precedent.

Here in Canada the government will help you start a small business, which means tax dollars. Now starting a business comes with a LOT of chances of failure and it would be a terrible program if you could get stuck with it.

Now in terms of the money itself I think that is a huge problem... a new studio should be aiming to sell MAX 500K copies (new studio, new IP, people will adopt a wait and see attitude in the generation where games go 'bomba'. Before games had legs, not how it works anymore *I think yearly releases is helping that though*)

Its a shame but it shows you need to be grounded in reality.

Hope it works out, maybe downsize a bit or something who knows, it is definitely a shame it didn't turn into a massive hit (as I said in my last post; they got a lot right but forgot to make it fun)

If they downsize, they incur penalties for being below the mandated employee count in the loan agreement. Of course, it's possible they could try to renegotiate that agreement.

Aaron

never knew 38 studio has so many employees... yet they only released one game in the last 3 years... not a very good business model.
They've released zero games. Reckoning was produced by Big Huge in Maryland, which has nothing to do with this.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

1337258158_38fd.jpg

Pretty cute, lol.

I'm a centrist liberal but I don't know how I'd feel about my money going to fund videogames. Kind of funny about Schilling's teaparty affiliation, and then using tax money to fund his game projects, is this the reason why a few people earlier in the thread was saying the guy was a d-bag?

Tex117

Banned
Like what exactly?

Hard to say not knowing exaclty their cash flow position, but in general and not specific to 38 Studios, but standard distressed assets are as follow: forebearance agreements, capital restructuring, bankruptcy.

eznark

Banned
Shilling stole taxpayer dollars leveraging his celebrity. Screw corporate protections in this case. He pierced the corporate veil by using his name recognition as collateral. RI should put a lien against his personal assets to cover the total loan amount.

I'm a centrist liberal but I don't know how I'd feel about my money going to fund videogames. Kind of funny about Schilling's teaparty affiliation, and then using tax money to fund his game projects, is this the reason why a few people earlier in the thread was saying the guy was a d-bag?

KuGsj.gif

Gotta love a hypocrite.

I hope someone buys BHG. They made a pretty good game that could have been great with a better story and time taken to balance the difficulty. 38 hasn't done a thing, though, except fail to make an MMO.

Shilling stole taxpayer dollars leveraging his celebrity. Screw corporate protections in this case. He pierced the corporate veil by using his name recognition as collateral. RI should put a lien against his personal assets to cover the total loan amount.

Do you guys want to hear the truth? Or do you want to hear about the bloody sock!!

Dartastic

This isn't true. 38 hasn't stolen any taxpayer dollars to date. Taxpayer money won't be "taken" unless the company goes under.
If you mean that this isn't the place to talk about that stuff then your wrong, this thread is about a failing business (one that is massively miss managed) being kept alive by tax payers.

This is politics.
I think this situation just needs to play out, honestly. This thread is full of dOOOOOOM sayers and stuff. People just need to step back until we have some more solid facts. Although, things aren't looking that great right now, I must admit.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

I get the feeling those were butthurt Yankees fans. Though for me personally I'm not a fan strictly due to his outspoken and often hypocritical political views.

Yeah, I'm staying out of the political irony bit, amusing or not. I don't disagree this issue is steeped in politics and is fair game for discussion.

The sad bottom line is, this means some people who don't deserve it will lose their jobs, some people who deserve to lose their shirt will come out of this just fine, and people in Rhode Island who remain employed have just become 1/100,000th part owners of a niche game IP that will ultimately cost each of them more than the price of the game.

Patryn

The interesting question to me is what would Rhode Island do with the Kingdoms of Amalur IP if it ends up with it (which is what will happen if the company fails).

The interesting question to me is what would Rhode Island do with the Kingdoms of Amalur IP if it ends up with it (which is what will happen if the company fails).

Try and sell it I would assume. Don't know what the fuck else they would with it other than nothing, which would be a bad choice.

eznark

Banned
This isn't true. 38 hasn't stolen any taxpayer dollars to date. Taxpayer money won't be "taken" unless the company goes under.

Bullshit. He has already defaulted on the first $1.1 million dollar payment. Aside from that, the $75m guarantee the state made to Schilling represents a promise to pay that they could not put elsewhere, as such he has stolen $75m (plus interest) in opportunity costs from the taxpayers.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

Probably only one of two things: Let it fade into oblivion or sell it to the highest bidder.

Dartastic

One thing that I think you guys should also realize also is that the talent at 38 is... really high. Some really, really great people work there. I think that once you do see the MMO, you're going to be very impressed.

Bullshit. He has already defaulted on the first $1.1 million dollar payment. Aside from that, the $75m guarantee the state made to Schilling represents a promise to pay that they could not put elsewhere, as such he has stolen $75m (plus interest) in opportunity costs from the taxpayers.
A default does not mean that he's stolen anything; you're missing the point. The company still has the chance to pay the money. Until the company goes under, the money has not been stolen. They still have the opportunity to repay it. Oy.

Patryn

Probably only one of two things: Let it fade into oblivion or sell it to the highest bidder.

This is likely, but is there really any value there? There's only been one game in it released, and it did merely ok. I suppose what I'm more curious about is who would try to buy it and for how much?

Tex117

Banned
You are obviously not a lawyer...maybe a 1L at a Fourth Tier law school. :D

Y'know, I should like Curt because I'm a Sox fan. Amalur though...when it's $20. I really didn't expect that it would do that well considering that it was released around Mass 3.

And taking taxpayer dollars? Ouch.

eznark

Banned
You are obviously not a lawyer...maybe a 1L at a Fourth Tier law school. :D

Nope, I work the financing end on deals like this. I'm not saying it can happen, I'm saying it should happen.

Though if there are significant balance sheet intangibles on the pro formas I could see there being lawsuits (praying for a settlement) from the state against various parties for fiduciary negligence/fraud.

One thing that I think you guys should also realize also is that the talent at 38 is... really high. Some really, really great people work there. I think that once you do see the MMO, you're going to be very impressed.

At this rate I expect to only see it on Unseen64.

Dartastic

Actually I just hate corporate welfare.
Yeah, I know. I vaguely remember you from PoliGaf. I'm just saying, there is a very obvious lack of information. The information we HAVE isn't good, but at the same time we don't know much about how they've been spending their finances, blah blah blah etc. We don't even know the circumstances around the missed payment.

Tex117

Banned
Yeah, I know. I vaguely remember you from PoliGaf. I'm just saying, there is a very obvious lack of information. The information we HAVE isn't good, but at the same time we don't know much about how they've been spending their finances, blah blah blah etc. We don't even know the circumstances around the missed payment.
Agreed.

And have we even seen the agreement/bond/promissory note/Security Agreement, etc. etc.?

eznark

Banned

We know that after a closed meeting with the firm and the State, the man who pushed for the deal resigned and the Governor called it "bad money." We can infer that missing the initial payment of $1.1m to the lender most likely to call the loan is not a positive sign. The CEO of said firm taking an unexpected and indefinite leave? Not positive. Schilling not sticking around for the presser after begging for a second round? Not positive. Public sentiment? Not positive.

It doesn't matter how they've spent their finances, because we know how they aren't spending their finances, which is by servicing their debt. It's especially troubling considering the studio has no cash flow injections on the horizon. They have no game to release. Firing people won't generate cash. This is a company that has defaulted on the initial payment and can only survive by additional leverage. In other words, they are very likely f'd.

If they were a month or two out from releasing a game and looking at a revenue injection I'd give them some chance of digging themselves out without additional financing. As it is? I don't see it. Who is going to refinance a company that can't meet their first obligation?

vaelic

Banned
Head of RI Economic Development Corp. resigns amid 38 Studios controversy / Poll

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - - Keith Stokes has resigned as head of the state's Economic Development Corporation, amid controversy over a $75-million loan guarantee the EDC gave retired Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling's video-game company that is now in default on payments owed the state.
How do you rate Governor Chafee's performance? (459 votes)
Great
Good
Fair
Poor
View results
Governor Chafee's office confirmed the resignation Thursday morning.
The resignation comes after months of frustration that started building up well before Chafee felt compelled to call an emergency meeting of the EDC board on Wednesday, to try to get a handle on why Schilling's 38 Studios defaulted on a $1.1 million payment and what should happen next.

http://news.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/2012/05/providence-ri---89.html

massoluk

Banned
I don't really follow baseball and the wikipedia page doesn't really go into it, but what's the deal? Why does it appear that a lot of baseball fans hate him?

NateDrake

Meier

Wow, saw the story initially but didn't follow up on it until now. That's a real shame, Curt is obviously a legend so I'm sure he put a lot of his own money into funding the studio. Good luck to everyone involved.. glad I'm not a Rhode Islander!

The company couldn't even make their first payment? Where has all the money gone?

They haven't given out any media of even a pre-Alpha, no screenshots or videos or anything. This is crazy. If I didn't know better I would suspect it was outright fraud, but there is no reason Curt would fuck over his whole life like that given his immense personal wealth.

Patryn

It may be that in that meeting it was made clear that they would need to pay that 1.25 million before the state would be willing to assist the company.

Hopefully this will help lead to a bridge loan of some sort, but given that we have no sign that Copernicus is going to launch any time soon, and also the likelihood that it will be greeted with a deathly silence when it does, if I worked at 38 I'd have my resume polished up and be out looking for job interviews right about now.

ironcreed

Banned
I just feel sorry for the employees at this point. 38 Studios is obviously a sinking ship. So they met the obligation of the first payment, but can't pay their employees, huh? The state would be nuts to give them any extra funds. As it is like asking for a bigger shovel so they can dig a deeper hole at this point. What a mess. "Bad money" indeed.

Kak.efes

Where's all that talk about personal responsibility, and pulling yourself up by your bootstraps that conservatives love to regurgitate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom