• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom xbox one controllers from xbox design lab

Somebody do a Baltimore Ravens themed controller, please. Want to get it for my bros birthday in January and I can't seem to make one I like.

Best I can do man.

Ravens_zps7jzfqszu.jpg

there's no white color selection for thumbsticks for the controller bums me out. I wonder why they didn't include it.

mainly designing a sport controller.
Roll Tide Roll
:p

Home Game Choice # 1:

Body - Oxide Red
Bumbers & Trigs - Robotic White
D-pad - Ash Grey
Thumbsticks - Storm Grey
ABXY - Grey on White
View and Menu - White on Black
Back - Ash Grey

Away Game Choice # 2:

Body - Robot White
Bumbers & Trigs - Oxide Red
D-pad - Ash Grey
Thumbsticks - Oxide Red
ABXY - Grey on White
View and Menu - White on Black
Back - Ash Grey

Too bad, I can't spend $80 on these two or just one. Too rich for my blood for now.

Osukaa

Really awesome idea and I can imagine that if I played my XBO and had extra cash to burn I would definitely get one of these. It'd be cool if Sony and Nintendo offered this service.

When they bring it to the UK this is what I'll be going for. Hopefully I can make the sticks and all face buttons green by then too, perhaps have a bolder shade of green too.

Pretty happy with how it looks already but since blue is an option for sticks I'd at least like the choice of green there too.

AggroWill

Neo Member
riIa8F0.png

Didn't want anything too bright. First wanted a mainly navy look for a Jotaro thing, but settled on royal purple with midnight blue highlights.

Sorry for the second post, forgot to hit edit.

Here's what I made, though I worry it's too plain.

Hm01

I switched the front plate to the light gray. Still not 100% on what I want though.

Heres two that i've made. From what i have heard, the new controllers also include new joystick accuracy in conjunction with the textured back and bluetooth. Does anybody know what this new thumbstick designs mean yet?

Hm01

Hm01

Justinh

http://i.imgur.com/riIa8F0.png

Didn't want anything too bright. First wanted a mainly navy look for a Jotaro thing, but settled on royal purple with midnight blue highlights.
I love this, I think the midnight blue looks way better than the marroon-ish red I tried. Although, I guess red would fit better with purple re:royalty?. This one just looks better, though...
I love this one too. I just like OD Green I guess, lol. My favorite controller for the 360 was the ODST one.
I couldn't figure out how to get the inscription when I set one up the other day. Is that possible at this point?
Try clicking on Save and Finish up top. It showed up as an option down below afterwards for me. Under the first picture "Add laser engraving."

I have a habit of buying new controllers because of the colours. It's a problem and a vice to deal with things happening in my life. I've stopped for the most part, but this mechanic of customization makes me want to order a few.

But, at $114.99 Canadian, plus tax, I just can't let myself do it. If they were around the same price as an average LE controller ($74.99), I'd buy two.

They don't have the proper green. Best I could do

Hm01

Cm06

I'm really liking this other one I made.

Hm01

The dark green one looks nice, but it's very much like the Halo 5 Master Chief one without the details.

I went by a Microsoft store the other day in a mall near me and they had display versions of these custom controllers on display.

They didn't have any control parts on the inside, but they looked great.

I'd love to get one, but if I have the chance to get a standard edition on earlier in August before my vacation I'll probably just go with that (I'd love a good bluetooth controller for my phone).

...Assuming the bluetooth will work on phones. I looked up the store page for the controller when it was first announced and I swear it said on there it supported phones, but now when I look it only lists Windows devices. :(
It's still cool that it'll have bluetooth, but now I'm worried it might not connect to my phone easily (my PS4 controller won't connect to my S7 Edge unless you root it, and that's also bluetooth).

SOR5

has anybody received theres yet?

from polygon:

Earlier this year, Microsoft added a wrinkle to its growing line of Xbox One controllers: The new Xbox One controller, which both ships with the Xbox One S and can be purchased on its own for $59.99.

Where the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller remains one of the hands-down best high-end controllers you can pick up for the PC, the S controller introduces some much-desired features that the Elite doesn't yet offer.

Chief among the changes is the new controller's Bluetooth support, a wonderful addition for PC gamers to allow for quick, easy connection to their gaming rig.

The controller is also currently the only one that can be customized through Microsoft's Design Lab, allowing a player to select from a wide range of colors for everything from the bumpers and backing to the thumbsticks and directional pad.

It's unclear how this new controller is going to fit into Microsoft's collection or if it will eventually replace the standard-issue Xbox controller, but I've been impressed with what it delivers at its price, so far.

New Xbox One Controller S gallery
The new Xbox One controller looks very much like the original Xbox One controller initially. It feels very familiar as well, with one major exception. Where the grips of the original controller are smooth, the new controller has a subtle pattern to its horns. The grip is not nearly as noticeable as the rubberized, patterned grip found on the Elite, but it's a nice touch that seemed to help when my hands started to get a little sweaty.

The thumbsticks, according to Microsoft, now feature a more durable design. They did feel a touch stiffer than the sticks on my original controller, but that's more than likely due to age. The real question is how the rubberized heads of the sticks will stand up over time. I've never had an issue with mine wearing down, but I know it's a problem for some gamers. If the rubber or the underlying plastic of the sticks has been upgraded, I couldn't tell.

The directional pad feels slightly stiffer and has a much deeper click to it, instead of the original controller's louder, snappier sound. That said, they felt about the same. The same was true for both controllers' bumpers. The triggers on both sounded and felt identical to me.

The weight and balance of the controller feels about the same. It doesn't come with a cable, but it does include a set of batteries and supports the accessories that are used by the original controller. That means you can still use your Play & Charge kit, chat headset, stereo headset, chatpad and more with it.

The controller supports both Xbox One's proprietary wireless connection and Bluetooth. Connecting to a Alienware Alpha 2 was as simple as turning on the rig's Bluetooth and holding down the connection button on the new controller until the Xbox logo light started flashing. Once the controller was identified and accepted, the PC found and downloaded the software, and I was up and running.

New Xbox One Controller S gallery
The Xbox Accessories app adds some layer of controller customization by letting players adjust trigger minimum and maximum values, tweak thumbstick sensitivity, and assign essentially any input to any face button, trigger, D-pad direction or thumbstick click. While you can save an unlimited number of profiles on your Xbox One or Windows PC, you can only store two on the controller. Unfortunately, while the new controller supports the app, it doesn't have the same profile switching button found on the Xbox One Elite controller.

Another big attraction for this new controller is the deep customization any player can do through the Xbox Design Lab. Currently, this new controller is the only one a player can customize through the lab.

The website, which anyone can use and save designs on, has players select colors for the body, bumpers and triggers, D-pad, thumbsticks, ABXY buttons, view and menu buttons, and the back of the controller. While there are currently 15 colors to pick from for most of the parts, the thumbsticks have to match and are limited to eight colors. The ABXY buttons offer four variations on black, white and gray or the traditional colored buttons. The view and menu buttons only have gray, black and white options. And designers can't slap on any images or patterns.

That said, there's a lot a person can do with the options currently offered, from recreating the color schemes of sports teams or older consoles, to creating themes that match characters in games.

I was happy with the end result of my controller, which I designed to look a bit like the original Game Boy with an off-white body and red thumbsticks.

The customization feature bumps the price of your controller up by $20 and adds another $10 if you want to have words laser-etched in the bottom center of the body.

It's a smart move by Microsoft to reinvigorate its entry-level controllers with color customization options and a few very useful extra options.

The new Xbox One S controller isn't my favorite among the one's I've tested, but it's one of the most affordable. I'm just hoping these color and custom options come to the Elite.

me0wish

Can someone please test multiple new xbone controllers connected to a PC via bluetooth? I want to know if there is any kind of delay like the DS4 controllers.

Top Bottom