• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.
they're greenlighting an obi wan movie just to show he gets somebody knocked up in the canon lmao.

keep rey an orphan, who cares about her parents. JJ messed up with that recurring dream of the ship leaving whatever.

Skab

Heeeeeere's Daddy!

star-wars-the-force-awakens-simon-pegg-unkar-plutt.png

This reminds me that I just recently learned about Daniel Craigs small cameo in TFW. Pretty cool.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Her parents left her behind, probably as payment to GTFO that desert planet to the big alien dude. That's what I think is all to it, nothing more. They just told her they'd come back for her and never did, probably because they died or might have joined the First Order, who knows.

The movie gives no indication whatsoever that she has amnesia, that she doesn't remember who her parents are or why they left, etc., so there's no reason to think she has amnesia or whatever.

The movie spelled it out clearly, but so poorly that people assumed there had to be more to it.

RedSwirl

So did JJ walk back on his comment that "Rey's parents didn't appear in The Force Awakens?"

At this point, I'm a fan of Rey not being related to anyone of significance, and truly being her own new character, or at least her parents being totally new characters who are of some significance. I imagine if the latter were the case though, they might have been referenced in TFA.

But, I also understand the idea that the main Star Wars saga has up until now been the family drama of the Skywalkers. That was Lucas' intention, but do we really know how much Disney is willing to stick to that?

In light of that, if it has to be someone already known, I'm leaning towards Luke. Because of the Skywalker angle some however have actually theorized that we're underestimating how central Kylo will be to the story. The main plot thread of the sequel trilogy may very well be Kylo's journey just as much as it is Rey's, maybe it's him that has to carry on the Skywalker legacy in a way just as convoluted as how Vader ultimately proved himself to be the chosen one. If they are set on Rey being a Skywalker though, then I would have preferred they'd have not kept it a mystery at all, and just had the main lead of the sequel trilogy explicitly be Han and Leia's kid with Luke as the mentor figure who dies in the first part.

As things are now though, I guess I'd prefer it if Rey wasn't related to anyone we currently know, and it's actually Kylo's job to be the Skywalker heir.

That would be nice, but highly unlikely

There's no reason Kylo Ren had to be related to anyone, could have just been some random guy that admired Vader.

Ren being Han's son is what makes TFA fit into the same plot mold as ANH. It needed Han to fit into the Obi-Wan role which required him to have some connection to the villain who would kill him.

Her parents left her behind, probably as payment to GTFO that desert planet to the guy who owns her. That's what I think is all to it, nothing more. They just told her they'd come back for her and never did, probably because they died or might have joined the First Order, who knows.

The movie gives no indication whatsoever that she has amnesia, that she doesn't remember who her parents are or why they left, etc., so there's no reason to think she has amnesia or whatever.

It does seem like she is in denial. She was marking the days that she had been left alone. Then when she got wrapped up in Finn's escape she wanted to get back because she was sure they would return despite Female-Yoda saying otherwise.

Rey being abandoned is more compelling than pulling another Luke/Leia where they separated them to save them from some threat.

CronoShot

It pretty much has to be Luke/Someone or Han/Leia for the sake of it being a Skywalker and giving a connection to Kylo.

Problem is, you can find legitimate reasons why it shouldn't be either.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It does seem like she is in denial. She was marking the days that she had been left alone. Then when she got wrapped up in Finn's escape she wanted to get back because she was sure they would return despite Female-Yoda saying otherwise.

Rey being abandoned is more compelling than pulling another Luke/Leia where they separated them to save them from some threat.

Right, and it could easily be played on later on, either to toy with her emotions by telling her they were killed by whoever, or to lure her somewhere. But I really think it was just poorly written/directed, they thought it wasn't too mysterious, but there is so little time for Rey to be less one-dimensional in this movie that she never gets a moment to speak about what is portrayed as really important to her. So people assume there is more to it.

If her parents were such a big deal, it would have been part of her established motivations, but she basically never mentions them other than when she says she must go back, and then drops it all when told to forget about it.

The movie needed to cut five minutes to make room for a bit more background for Rey's feelings toward her abandonment. Like, shorten the Rankar scene or something.

Or more likely she is actually an orphan, whose parents are of no consequence.

This is my preferred explanation too. Not everyone in the galaxy has to be a damn Skywalker or Solo or Kenobi. The population is in the trillions, surely not everyone important are cousins. The name "Skywalker" was an irrelevant slave name from some backwater planet on the rim until a couple of generations ago, so Rey's background really isn't that important.

I'm more interested in Finn's parentage tbh, it's pretty obvious what choices are left to us when it comes to Rey. Finn's familial connections seem like more of a wild card to me.

FairyD

I bet it's Qui-Gon's daughter.

He discovered the force ghost trick and then pioneered ghost sex. It would explain Anakins virgin birth. A horny Jedi ghost got with Anakins mom.

RedSwirl

Oh, and I don't think Rey has to have a connection to Kylo. That thing in the interrogation happened because the force is unusually strong with Rey, no other reason.

In general though, I just don't like how some movie and TV franchises rely on mysteries and twist reveals to string viewers along. It feels like it's all just another part of the marketing bullshit to keep consumers invested. I didn't even watch LOST, Westworld, or Game of Thrones, but I'm tired of people getting caught up in fan theories. The original Star Wars didn't have to rely on mysteries. If I'm not mistaken Luke's parentage wasn't presented as a mystery at all until the reveal. At most there were some hints going on in the first half of Empire Strike's Back, but in New Hope viewers were simply supposed to take Obi-Wan's half-truths at face value.

It would be amazing though if the big reveal was indeed that Rey's parent(s) were simply people who abandoned her, and that she's just in denial the whole time. It would make sense if that's what TFA hinted at, and if they later pointed at the audience for being in denial with all their theories. It could play into an arc about Rey's self-confidence, since that seems to be a main driver of her learning the ways of the force.

Sayers

Why can't she just be an anonymous girl who had a greater destiny than her station implied?

Guys... it's even said Obi-Wan doesn't get a solo movie because they're not done with his story. Writing is on the walls.

Or they might be about to use him in Rebels.

120v

not trying to dump on her but i think she's talking out of her ass. movie's been ripped to shreds frame to frame, nothing resembling an overt "hint" has come up

MutFox

Banned
Leia is her mom, why else would Leia hug her and not Chewie after Han died?
She actually ignored Chewie for some weird reason...

Karsha

Just out of curiosity, what hints in the movie points out that she might be Obi's daughter? I never considered this possibility, just Luke or Han

Luke is her biological father. The family that left/sold her was a foster family, like Owen and Beru, and is unimportant to the story.

Her mother is the gal from Rogue One. Just you watch.

Luke probably had a wife since after Vader X Palp died that was it for Jedis and Siths (before snook showed himself) so he didn't give a fuck about rules X Jedis couldn't marry

I think Rey is Luke's daughter

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Oh, and I don't think Rey has to have a connection to Kylo. That thing in the interrogation happened because the force is unusually strong with Rey, no other reason.

In general though, I just don't like how some movie and TV franchises rely on mysteries and twist reveals to string viewers along. It feels like it's all just another part of the marketing bullshit to keep consumers invested. I didn't even watch LOST, Westworld, or Game of Thrones, but I'm tired of people getting caught up in fan theories. The original Star Wars didn't have to rely on mysteries. If I'm not mistaken Luke's parentage wasn't presented as a mystery at all until the reveal. At most there were some hints going on in the first half of Empire Strike's Back, but in New Hope viewers were simply supposed to take Obi-Wan's half-truths at face value.

It would be amazing though if the big reveal was indeed that Rey's parent(s) were simply people who abandoned her, and that she's just in denial the whole time. It would make sense if that's what TFA hinted at, and if they later pointed at the audience for being in denial with all their theories. It could play into an arc about Rey's self-confidence, since that seems to be a main driver of her learning the ways of the force.
I'm just going to put here that the reason Game of Thrones worked with fan theories is because a lot of them turned out to be true. Rey not having parents is weird because it has been shown that the force is pretty much genetic. It also makes sense that Kyle Ren is her cousin or her brother as it pushes the stakes higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom