• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dance Central |OT| Kinect's Killer App?

Chairhome

Majine said:
Yeah, kinda.

I don't mean to hate, but if this is a killer app because Just Dance was so successful, then so is Kinect Sports (Wii Sports), Kinectimals (Nintendogs), Joyride (Mariokart) etc.
To me, its a killer app because its the one that looks most appealing to me, and everything else looks like rehashes of other games like you've mentioned. It is everything that I want a game like Just Dance to be...

verbum

Megadragon15 said:
You just got Astoladded.

No, I knew what he was doing, it was just not up to the level of his past efforts. I figure he must be getting jaded or perhaps a lack of sleep accounts for the lack of subtlety.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wasn't hating at all. Just a fanciful way of saying that the only way I wouldn't get Kinect -- a product I don't really want independently of Dance Central -- is if Dance Central gets horrible reviews. So I was cheekily "wishing" that Dance Central got those horrible reviews to save me from myself.

Coverly

Shurs said:
Get over yourself.

For someone that has little interest in dancing games, as of right now you're the 2nd highest poster in this thread. Maybe you should take your own advice.

Shurs

Coverly said:
For someone that has little interest in dancing games, as of right now you're the 2nd highest poster in this thread. Maybe you should take your own advice.

Part of the appeal of dancing games is how silly you look while playing them, is it not?

I think this game will review and sell very well. I think it will be the best dancing game of the generation.

Thanks for checking my post count.

Majine said:
Yeah, kinda.

I don't mean to hate, but if this is a killer app because Just Dance was so successful, then so is Kinect Sports (Wii Sports), Kinectimals (Nintendogs), Joyride (Mariokart) etc.
eh. see, Your Shape and Dance Central are getting attention not just because they're in a popular genre or from a popular developer, but because they look like good games.

look at how Konami's dancing game is getting no attention, or how EA Active 2 is getting overlooked.

Raide

I so wish they had Beastie Boys songs on here. Intergalactic and Body Movin' (Not that remix crap) would be awesome, especially for the dance moves and getting close to the camera. :D

DangerStepp

acm2000 said:
so whos getting this for their girl friends/wives just to make them dance naked/in underwear? :lol

Is that the ploy you're going to use?

"It won't read you if you have any wrinkles in your clothes. Just slip it all off, baby--or just down to your panties if you don't feel like being naked. Don't worry, I'm not in the mood for THAT stuff anyways. Let's just have a good time. C'mon, be cool."

Shurs said:
Part of the appeal of dancing games is how silly you look while playing them, is it not?

I think this game will review and sell very well. I think it will be the best dancing game of the generation.
I agree that being silly and dancing to this game will be a large part of what will make it fun. However, since Dance Central also aims to actually guide the player through becoming a better dancer has its merits. No more cabbage patch for me. I'll be moving up to the chest pump and the hook! :lol

Shurs

DJ Lushious said:
I agree that being silly and dancing to this game will be a large part of what will make it fun. However, since Dance Central also aims to actually guide the player through becoming a better dancer has its merits. No more cabbage patch for me. I'll be moving up to the chest pump and the hook! :lol

I completely agree that Dance Central has the ability to help you become a better dancer, through I think that's true of most dancing games in the sense that you're emulating a choreographed routine on the screen and learning how to get in rhythm with the beat.

Shurs said:
I completely agree that Dance Central has the ability to help you become a better dancer, through I think that's true of most dancing games in the sense that you're emulating a choreographed routine on the screen and learning how to get in rhythm with the beat.
I'm not so well-versed in the dancing game genre, but doesn't Dance Central, with its full body tracking, offer a more complete experience of emulating the choerography?

Clearly I'm just jumping on the dance game bandwagon... :lol

venne

DJ Lushious said:
I'm not so well-versed in the dancing game genre, but doesn't Dance Central, with its full body tracking, offer a more complete experience of emulating the choerography?

Yes.

Shurs

DJ Lushious said:

Clearly I'm just jumping on the dance game bandwagon... :lol

Oh, yeah. It's the first dance game that tracks your full body, but in most dance games, people still follow the choreography on-screen, even if it's only tracking a Wii-mote or whatever unless they're just "gaming" the system.

I'm curious if anyone knows the answer, even though I've not caught wind of any information pertaining to this, but do I get to dress up my dancer Harajuku style in Dance Central? :D I could have sworn I read something about dancer customization, ala the Rock Band series, but I've only ever seen two or three dancers shown in all of the publicity pieces.

Coverly

Shurs said:

No that's not what you were doing with that first post. Your following posts for the most part form an easy pattern of initial agreement and then a slight. When you add those digs together then the pattern is obvious.

Shurs said:

That's great but it doesn't mean anything. Is this intended to make you sound well balanced?

Shurs said:
Thanks for checking my post count.

Np, anything for the top poster.

Shurs said:
Oh, yeah. It's the first dance game that tracks your full body, but in most dance games, people still follow the choreography on-screen, even if it's only tracking a Wii-mote or whatever unless they're just "gaming" the system.

Most people are terrible dancers, so I can see a game that doesn't correct them when they're doing it wrong not being all that helpful.

Shurs

Coverly said:
No that's not what you were doing with that first post. Your following posts for the most part form an easy pattern of initial agreement and then a slight. When you add those digs together then the pattern is obvious.

What slights?

Coverly said:
Np, anything for the top poster.

I'm the top poster because I'm, gasp, talking with people about Dance Central. You, on the other hand, are only commenting on me.

Here is everything you've said about Dance Central in your multiple posts:

Coverly said:
looking forward to the game.

Insightful.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Most people are terrible dancers, so I can see a game that doesn't correct them when they're doing it wrong not being all that helpful.

True, though I think that people get better by doing things, so any dancing helps. But, yes, I think Dance Central has even more potential to make someone a better dancer than the other games.

Chairhome

DJ Lushious said:
I'm curious if anyone knows the answer, even though I've not caught wind of any information pertaining to this, but do I get to dress up my dancer Harajuku style in Dance Central? :D I could have sworn I read something about dancer customization, ala the Rock Band series, but I've only ever seen two or three dancers shown in all of the publicity pieces.
According to the info gamerx gave me for the OP, you will be able to unlock outfits.

Helznicht

Looks fun, but my family is not exactly dancers. So is there anything that tells you what you did wrong exactly while you are playing? I can see some in my family getting very frustrated that they didnt get a good score even though they THOUGHT they did it correctly. Its really the only Kinnect game I see any interest in, and without realtime feedback during the dances, cant see this being a good fit for us.

Struct09

Helznicht said:
Looks fun, but my family is not exactly dancers. So is there anything that tells you what you did wrong exactly while you are playing? I can see some in my family getting very frustrated that they didnt get a good score even though they THOUGHT they did it correctly. Its really the only Kinnect game I see any interest in, and without realtime feedback during the dances, cant see this being a good fit for us.

Yep, if you're doing a move wrong it will highlight in red on the character which part (arm, leg, etc) you're doing wrong.

Raide said:
I so wish they had Beastie Boys songs on here. Intergalactic and Body Movin' (Not that remix crap) would be awesome, especially for the dance moves and getting close to the camera. :D

I'm pretty sure I saw someone dancing to Body Movin' at the eurogamer expo (pretty sure it was the fatboy slim remox version though).

Raide

MrNyarlathotep said:
I'm pretty sure I saw someone dancing to Body Movin' at the eurogamer expo (pretty sure it was the fatboy slim remox version though).

Yeah, its the remix. Damn, the original is so much better. :(

Would pay for Dance Central: Beastie Boys.

Einbroch

Banned
Fuuuuuuck. I was REALLY trying to avoid Kinect but after seeing Jay Sean's Down I might just have to pick this up.

I know my girlfriend and I would have a ton of fun with this...

Can't wait for this, the main reason I'm getting a Kinect. I'll be picking up Dance Masters as well probably, though it hasn't really gotten much coverage.

Phreaker

Yeah, it was the videos for this game that got me to pre-order it and Kinect. I got Your Shape Fitness Evolved too. :) Next weekend is gonna be fun!

PSGames said:
that's weird. I wonder what kind of 'misprint' would actually justify a full recall of a product?

dancecentral_boxfront.png

Yeah, I know it's the manual.

Struct09

PSGames said:
Struct09 said:
I played a lot of Dance Central at PAX and am extremely hyped. And even though this game isn't out yet, I'm also hyped for its eventual sequel.

EDIT: Also, the achievement list: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g.../achievements/
Me too man. All this needs is for them to add a video recording function and enable you to post to youtube or something. Would be a blast :lol

And just in case there was any doubt, they're already in pre-production for the sequel: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-01-harmonix-already-on-dance-central-2

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dancing isn't my thing, but I <3 Harmonix and I will definitely be sure to play this when I get a Kinect before the end of the year (hopefully).

I wonder if they're still working on the rumored* PS3 version with Move.

maybe it was rumored, maybe it was hinted at, whatever - I remember it being mentioned

Top Bottom