• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dance Central |OT| Kinect's Killer App?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jealous

I bet the intro is awesome, Rock Band always had the best intros

dance the night away, mr. Bird

BenjaminBirdie said:
Okay. No DLC as of this evening. You start on only Easy, and only the first two of songs unlocked.

It's actually a little tricky already since you don't know the moves, but, not too bad, because I have ill rhythm.

:D

The IGN review said all the songs were unlocked from the start. Are they mistaken?

Chairhome

Good to see people getting it. Can't wait to get mine tomorrow! Joystiq gave it a 4 out of 5. I'll update the OP with review scores when I'm up tomorrow...

Two songs in, it's actually fairly tough the first time through a song since you have no idea what the moves are but there are definitely totally awesome moments during simple but fast moves where you feel like it's totally 1-to-1, the circle is all green and the Flawlesses run past.

So fucking def.

Okay I think Flawless Freestyle works in that those bars around your nebulous rainbow all react to your moves so if you nail all of them during your Freestyle, you get a Flawless.

This game?

Still awesome.

Lunchbox

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
2 songs. poison and poker face. break it down or perform. 2 characters. one venue.
cool. ill look around bestbuy walmart tomorrow. hopefully they'll have some kiosks set up

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BenjaminBirdie said:
Can't believe no one else got this.

Another Harmonix flop?

:(
I got it! Coming in tomorrow though and probably won't have a chance to play until this weekend.

BenjaminBirdie said:

Another Harmonix flop?

I think it's just few people on GAF got it for the midnight launch and are on the forums.

Honestly I think it'll sell a lot through the holiday season.

This is the only game that I really would like to try. I bet my girlfriend would love it.

Shurs said:
People are waiting for Dance Masters.

I watching a video of that, I don't really get it. Can you do anything you want between the measured circles or is it tracking everything in between?

Anyway. I really like Dance Central.

Adam J.

Just got done playing it for the first time... My heart is still racing (so out of shape)...

A lot of fun, but it is really hard. I'm having a hard time figuring out all the dances and remembering them. I will say this much; the way the menu and navigation work is on point, and really gives me hope for the tech.

LCfiner

BenjaminBirdie said:

Another Harmonix flop?

I think it’s funny that you’re worried about the sales of the game at 1:30 AM EST. Literally 90 minutes after the launch of the system :lol

c’mon man. the game will do fine. give it some time. heck, give it 12 hours. most people in the US are still asleep now.

Shurs

BenjaminBirdie said:
I watching a video of that, I don't really get it. Can you do anything you want between the measured circles or is it tracking everything in between?

Anyway. I really like Dance Central.

No idea. I was just riffing on the Harmonix quote about Guitar Hero's flop.

LCfiner said:
I think it’s funny that you’re worried about the sales of the game at 1:30 AM EST. Literally 90 minutes after the launch of the system :lol

c’mon man. the game will do fine. give it some time. heck, give it 12 hours. most people in the US are still asleep now.

:lol

I'm just playin', man. But I was honestly expecting/hoping there were at least a handful of GAFfers as hyped about it as me, but that's probably a longshot considering my general level of enthusiasm.

Shurs

BenjaminBirdie said:

I'm just playin', man. But I was honestly expecting/hoping there were at least a handful of GAFfers as hyped about it as me, but that's probably a longshot considering my general level of enthusiasm.

I think it's GAF's most anticipated Kinect game.

Phatcorns

I predicted the Wii's unequivocal dominance before it came out and I predict the same for this game. Trust me. This game is going to KILL with EVERYONE.

LCfiner

BenjaminBirdie said:

You are pure, bottled enthusiasm. no one can match your level of energy, man. and that’s why we love you.

the thread will totally come alive tomorrow and in the next week once people pick this up.

this was the game that really had me considering jumping in with the whole Kinect launch. I’m looking forward to more impressions over the weekend.

At the FutureShop Toronto midnight, pretty much everyone got Dance Central. I'm not going to be surprised if it's going at close to a 1:1 sale rate...

Just started. OK. It's clear I need the Break it Down section first... :lol

seady

I reallllly want to play this game after watching some video reviews...
But not when I have to put down $200. I can buy a console for that. :(

Black Friday and Christmas left number 14 on Amazon aint that bad a spot and word of mouth should help.

It's the game i'm looking most foward to getting for Kinect.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, I'm going to Target tommorow.

If I can pick up a sensor and 3 games I want for 250, I'm going to bite.

Otherwise I'll hold off for a bit.

AlphaTwo00 said:
At the FutureShop Toronto midnight, pretty much everyone got Dance Central. I'm not going to be surprised if it's going at close to a 1:1 sale rate...

shit.. wondering if ill be able to find dance central tomorrow..

AlphaTwo00 said:

Break it Down is weird. I find myself having a lot of trouble doing individual moves but then in the rhythm of the "Stringing Those Moves Together" part of Break It Down I can totally nail them.

I think the key is figuring out what each move is "trying" to "do" and then getting into the the rhythm. I've found that the names actually help a lot sometimes.

"Oh, a Smush! So I should pretend like I'm smushing the -- yup, got it, got it. Next."

SeanR1221

Picked up my copy tonight. The game is crazy accurate, and I worked up quite a sweat. I don't like the menu navigation much...

Ok, never mind, watched some Dance Masters videos.. hell no, you have to dance much faster. :lol

I'll be buying Dance Central instead.

Adam J.

This game is just not doing it for me. If you don't dance in real life, I wouldn't even bother with this unless you're really serious about learning and are willing to put time into practicing. Some of the moves that they throw at you are "WTF".

SeanR1221

I was switching off between me and my gf, and at one point I paused and noticed I wasn't signed in anymore.

Anyone know why?

I didn't think having someone else stand in would sign you out, it didn't in Kinect Adventures.

Dabanton

Adam J. said:
This game is just not doing it for me. If you don't dance in real life, I wouldn't even bother with this unless you're really serious about learning and are willing to put time into practicing. Some of the moves that they throw at you are "WTF".

They are pretty standard dance moves from what i've seen.

A lot of it seems to be more street dance orientated which is fine with me. And that's why young women are going to adore this game.

As you will need to actually be up to a decent standard. Don't know how many Gaffers are up for that.:lol

unomas

Banned
Dabanton said:
They are pretty standard dance moves from what i've seen.

A lot of it seems to be more street dance orientated which is fine with me. And that's why young women are going to adore this game.

As you will need to actually be up to a decent standard. Don't know how many Gaffers are up for that.:lol

Raises hand, hopefully this guy, have to wait for my target.com order to get in though, so that will be at least 4-5 days after launch unfortunately. Can't wait to try this though after seeing more of the vids, looks awesome.

FinKL

I can see this game exploding in popularity after checking the track list and potential DLC. All videos are entertaining to watch as well, I'm surprised they didn't go the EA route and had a "community" where Kinect records you and uploads it to the web, ala Def Jam Rapstar

Eurogamer:

Dance Central isn't quite the advance on Just Dance we were hoping for, but it's a welcome touch of cool from Harmonix with a terrific song list. The sequel should be stellar.

Oh well, maybe next year.

Top Bottom