• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dance Central Spotlight launches Sept. 2 on Xbox One for $9.99

Microsoft should subsidize that cost and include the game with every version of Xbox with Kinect. In fact they should have pushed to get this as a launch title and done the same thing.

Edit: Now that I thunk about MS might already be subsidizing the cost.
Some adds for new launch countries had DC Spotlight advertised as a pack in for the Kinect Bundle. I would imagine they will pack it in with the standalone Kinect when they offer that also.

Nemesis_

I'm kind of confused about how they'll migrate your 360 licenses to One, but I'm sure they've worked it out with MS. I kind of hope they are slightly updated routines too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Going forward, I am praying that Dance Central will have options more catered to those wanting an intense cardio workout. I used to praise Dance Central for feeling more fluid and more dancey than it's major competitor, Just Dance.

But I've recently been on a bit of a Just Dance binge as my room mate demands it (-_-) and I've noticed the choreography isn't really that complex or technically en pointe but it's a lot more fun and a lot more intense if you were looking for exercise.

Dance Central, on the other hand, is much more technical and harder to properly master. And when you do, it's much less of a work out.

I know this isn't a replacement for exercise but it's always a nice side effect from playing these kinds of games :p

Alx

I used to praise Dance Central for feeling more fluid and more dancey than it's major competitor, Just Dance.

But I've recently been on a bit of a Just Dance binge as my room mate demands it (-_-) and I've noticed the choreography isn't really that complex or technically en pointe but it's a lot more fun and a lot more intense if you were looking for exercise.

That's funny, because I always had the opposite feeling concerning the bolded part. The card-based gameplay of Dance Central felt too artificial to me, it made it obvious that you just repeated a sequence of gestures rather than a full choreography. Just Dance can be quite simple, but feels more "free form" ; and crazier, of course, which makes it a lot of fun.

But the best are still the Konami games, though. I hope they'll at least port their old 360 games to XOne.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm kind of confused about how they'll migrate your 360 licenses to One, but I'm sure they've worked it out with MS. I kind of hope they are slightly updated routines too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Going forward, I am praying that Dance Central will have options more catered to those wanting an intense cardio workout. I used to praise Dance Central for feeling more fluid and more dancey than it's major competitor, Just Dance.

Dance Central, on the other hand, is much more technical and harder to properly master. And when you do, it's much less of a work out.

I know this isn't a replacement for exercise but it's always a nice side effect from playing these kinds of games :p

There are 8 routines now and I believe there is a fitness workout mode or routine.

Dancing to Cher Lloyd and Will.i.am?
No thanks Harmonix!

Still, pretty cool idea to give a starter pack and buy what packs you like.

FenDozer

Ok, I have a question I hope someone can answer --

I owned Dance Central 1 & 2 with some purchased DLC. Since I never bought a method to transfer my Dance Central 2 songs to a new game, will I still have access to the Dance Central 2 songs? Or, will I at least have the ability to pay a fee to get my Dance Central 2 songs within Spotlight?

Thanks for any and all clarification!

Some adds for new launch countries had DC Spotlight advertised as a pack in for the Kinect Bundle. I would imagine they will pack it in with the standalone Kinect when they offer that also.

That makes too much sense not to be true. Dance Central is to the Kinect what Wii Sports was to the Wii motion controller. This game finally justifies the cost of the Kinect.

I was going to say that Dance Central would push a lot of consoles, but on second thought I doubt that will happen. The old game was just too good and I don't see how the new one can differentiate itself enough to justify buying a new console to play it. It will however cause more people to get the full Xbox with Kinect over the Kinectless version.

Mister Game

Project Director, Harmonix

Spotlight songs have 8 routines each, so the legacy songs will include all the original routines plus 4 more: 2 routines with new choreography (one on the easy side, one much harder) and two dedicated fitness routines: Cardio (non-stop movement) and Strength (intervals that are aimed at specific body parts).

See above. Every song has a dedicated Cardio and Strength routine. We also have a fitness mode that lets you play non-stop for up to 90 minutes with whatever types of routines you want.

Sai-kun

Banned
Hm, I'm pretty disappointed, looking at a video of Wake Me Up, to see that so many moves from DC3 are being recycled.

Props to Harmonix for FINALLY giving us full length songs though. About damn time.

Jomjom

Banned
big.gif

LOL please let this be the dance choreography. I will get this just for this if so.

Storm360

Eh, no songs that interest me

However, if on the off chance I can get the songs from the first Dance Central game, I might get it just to have a Kinect game

muzzymate

Excellent news all around! Will be a day one purchase for me without doubt.

Dance Central got used so much at our house and the $10 starter pack idea is great. Wonderful to hear previous DLC purchase will eventually be made available with no up-charge.

Really enjoyed the previous games. Excited to hear that my DLC purchases will transfer, though it would've been awesome if the songs on the previous games transferred as well.

Looking forward to picking this up on release day. I hope to hear more about what songs will be available at launch, I'm noticing a severe lack of Gaga at the moment.

good price will get thanks to Gamestop. Although i wish my controller would stop De syncing when kinect is plugged in cause that's annoying although i will probable be able to navigate menus with voice.

SFenton

I'm gonna treat this as a $60 release anyways and buy lots and lots of DLC.

Hopefully exports can get added later!

Only DLC due to licensing stuffs.

Any hopes of relicensing these as DLC or as premium exports. There's a good selection of tracks from the original games, and it would be a shame if these couldn't be reached on the new consoles. There's probably many people, myself included, who'd be willing to double dip on select tracks if given the option.

Jachaos

Great price and having the free import of past DLC makes it even more worth it. If I had an Xbox One this would be day one. If you have people over that like to have fun, then buy it people !

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sooner and cheaper than expected. Insta-purchase for me. It is going to be AMAZING playing this with my daughter (3). I am giddily excited for how excited she's going to be. Yes, I know the Kinect probably won't recognize her but doesn't matter.

Bladelaw

Sold. Hoping I can prevent the Will.I.Am track from popping up in a workout shuffle. Also hoping for a multiplayer workout mode. $10 is a no brainer either way.

ScoopEE

Neo Member
I think this is great all around, and can't wait to check it out, but wonder a few things:

1. Was this downgraded after Xbox unbundled Kinect and Harmonix then revised their production schedule for the title? Or was this the plan all along?

2. I wonder if they released it for free, how much more they'd make off add-on songs vs. what they'd lose in the "sale"? I'd be willing to bet this gets heavily discounted if not Games with Gold before the end of the year.

3. Wish ZEN Studios had the same deal for their tables (360 add-ons available as part of the One version) -- is that because Dance Central is MS published?

Anyone with an xbox one and kinect who doesn't buy this

You Are lazy :p

Looking forward to this as never owned a kinect on xbox 360 and always wanted to play this

And happy is a GREAT choice to pull the kids in :)

jrDev

Are we sure this isn't Tim Burton's daughter?

I like the price, but I don't like the song selection. Seriously, that Happy song needs to die. I guess I can't complain for only $10 though.
Lol, never did I think I would see the day that someone would say the Happy song should die...only on GAF though...

NoHappinessAllowed.gif

I think this is great all around, and can't wait to check it out, but wonder a few things:

1. Was this downgraded after Xbox unbundled Kinect and Harmonix then revised their production schedule for the title? Or was this the plan all along?

2. I wonder if they released it for free, how much more they'd make off add-on songs vs. what they'd lose in the "sale"? I'd be willing to bet this gets heavily discounted if not Games with Gold before the end of the year.

3. Wish ZEN Studios had the same deal for their tables (360 add-ons available as part of the One version) -- is that because Dance Central is MS published?

1. This was the plan all along

2. They needed to include something as a base, and that still still has heavy licensing fees

3. Possibly, or Harmonix just has more pull

Top Bottom