• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dance Central Spotlight launches Sept. 2 on Xbox One for $9.99

FrsDvl

I was always joking about buying a dance central or just dance game, but for 10$ I definatly have to check it out.

jbug617

Banned
3. Wish ZEN Studios had the same deal for their tables (360 add-ons available as part of the One version) -- is that because Dance Central is MS published?

Microsoft made a comment recently that they are trying to help Zen Studios out with the DLC for 360 being playable on Xbox One.

A Microsoft spokesman replied that "with Xbox One, you are able to transfer add-on content from Xbox 360 to Xbox One for certain titles. We are working with Zen Studios to bring this feature to Pinball FX 2."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/16/5904785/pinball-fx2-xbox-one-release-date

good thing it's only $10. Even if there are one or 5 bad eggs, still a great value, considering dlc is $3 each.

10 songs at $10 is a great value, which makes me lament the loss of that value on the scale of the previous games.

This is how many songs $50 would get you at release for each of the games, assuming DLC is still $3 per song:

DC1: 32 songs
DC2: 44 songs
DC3: 46 songs
DCS: 23 songs (10 included + 13 DLC)

Do people prefer the option for maximum customization with a minimal starting track list, or would you rather have a higher base line of tracks with a lower cost per track (including songs you may not be into)?

I'd love for there to be some kind of expansion pack options for bulk buying songs at a discount, similar to what happens with the full-priced retail games. I like having more songs to play at a reasonable price, as I don't mind encountering some songs I'm not in love with along the way. (Plus, other people in the house like songs on the track list that I don't, so it works out anyway.) Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be that kind of entry option, meaning these are the kinds of amounts I'd have to spend to get the same song counts as earlier games (again assuming $3 per song):

To match DC1 32-song count: $76
To match DC2 44-song count: $112
To match DC2 46-song count: $118
(And to own all 60 songs at launch: $160)

It looks like they don't want there to be the option of a decent-sized, reasonably-priced starting library anymore. I suspect the reason they're not supporting disc exporting (with no plans to do so) has more to do with it potentially discouraging DLC purchases (since you'd have more songs to play) than any licensing issues. It looks like the success of this kind of release hinges on selling DLC, so I can understand how they wouldn't want to undermine that, as much as I'd personally like to have a starting point similar to the previous DC games.

I do want to note that it is awesome that they'll be supporting your previous DLC purchases. It definitely gives that Xbox 360 DLC added value and is very consumer friendly.

Source on no imports & no plans for imports:

https://twitter.com/Dance_Central/status/491224251635351552
Imports won't be happening, no.
https://twitter.com/Dance_Central/status/491248230395822082
We're not planning on bringing over the imports, sorry!

DLC is "expected" to be $1.99 for DCS

nickchester: @TA_Matrarch Not in the announce, but it’s expected to be $1.99 a song!

Which is a decent price?

And some of the first DLC:

But consider that just a foundation to a house that rockin’ moves can build, because from there, players can customize their soundtrack with more than 50 additional chart-topping hits, available in the game’s Music Store on launch day. These include:

The B-52’s – “Love Shack”
Capital Cities – “Safe and Sound”
Emeli Sandé – “Next To Me”
Icona Pop ft. Charli XCX – “I Love It”
Lana Del Rey – “Summertime Sadness (Cedric Gervais Remix)”

Add-on content from previously purchased versions of Dance Central for Xbox 360 are Spotlight-compatible, and easily loaded into the forthcoming game. And on top of that, Dance Central Spotlight features an expanded Fitness Mode, with special dance routines authored to focus on strength and cardio.
So, get your groove on!

Via Xbox Wire

That's good news about the $1.99 DLC price. I always thought the $2.99 price point was just a little too expensive. I'm betting removing motion capture choreography from the process - which lets them create the content more quickly, also allows them to make it cheaper as well. I have heard some complaints about the lack of new moves from long time fans, but we'll have to wait and see what the routines look like in the DLC I suppose. Personally, I never got the hang of most of the old moves, so the lack of regular new choreography shouldn't bother me.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Any hopes of relicensing these as DLC or as premium exports. There's a good selection of tracks from the original games, and it would be a shame if these couldn't be reached on the new consoles. There's probably many people, myself included, who'd be willing to double dip on select tracks if given the option.

No plans right now, but it's not out of the question. I will say, though -- without being able to tell you numbers -- it's certainly not cheap for us to renegotiate licenses for tracks licensed for discs. Discs versus digital (DLC) is a totally different beast.

Also, keep in mind that the content that is played in Spotlight is not one to one with the content available for 360 DC games. We have to re-author all of those tracks, one by one. Totally different file format, if you will. This is why on day one, not all of the legacy DLC content will immediately be available, because it's not quite as easy as dragging and dropping those files, if that makes sense.

Hope that clarifies stuff a bit. There's going to be a ton of content available (new and legacy DLC stuff) following launch, so there certainly won't be a lack of music and routines.

EBE

excited for this. love Dance Central. lost a few pounds playing them. good fun all around. hope the song dlc turns out as promised

No plans right now, but it's not out of the question. I will say, though -- without being able to tell you numbers -- it's certainly not cheap for us to renegotiate licenses for tracks licensed for discs. Discs versus digital (DLC) is a totally different beast.

Also, keep in mind that the content that is played in Spotlight is not one to one with the content available for 360 DC games. We have to re-author all of those tracks, one by one. Totally different file format, if you will. This is why on day one, not all of the legacy DLC content will immediately be available, because it's not quite as easy as dragging and dropping those files, if that makes sense.

Hope that clarifies stuff a bit. There's going to be a ton of content available (new and legacy DLC stuff) following launch, so there certainly won't be a lack of music and routines.

Thanks for being clear and straightforward with these details upfront.

MrBlonde

I hope I dont need the old game to import my songs since I traded in the previous Dance Central games, hopefully its connected to my gamertag??

Pretty good tracklist, especially with Royals on there.

big.gif

That would be amazing if this was part of the choreography.

ElNino

I hope I dont need the old game to import my songs since I traded in the previous Dance Central games, hopefully its connected to my gamertag??
No importing from disc, see Nicholas' post above. Only DLC from the 360 DC games will be brought forward (for now at least).

Dabanton

Very good pricing. Even the cost per song is acceptable. I can buy which ones I want.

I'll look forward to dancing to this one.
Will.i.am ft. Justin Bieber - "#thatPOWER"

How in the hell didn't MS have something like this ready for the XB1 launch?

EDIT: Although technically wouldn't this will be arriving for the tier 2 launch counties?

jbug617

Banned
New song announcements
http://harmonixmusic.com/blog/dcs-august-song-announce/

A-Ha – “Take On Me”
Bastille – “Pompeii”
Calvin Harris – “Summer”
Calvin Harris ft. Ellie Goulding – “I Need Your Love”
Demi Lovato – “Heart Attack”
DJ Snake & Lil’ Jon – “Turn Down For What”
Enrique Iglesias ft. Sean Paul, Descemer Bueno, Gente De Zona – “Bailando”
Erasure – “A Little Respect”
Ini Kamoze – “Here Comes The Hotstepper”
John Legend – “All Of Me (Tiësto's Birthday Treatment Remix [Radio Edit])”
Lady Gaga – “Applause”
Maroon 5 – “Maps”
Maroon 5 – “One More Night”
Ne-Yo – “Let Me Love You (Until You Learn To Love Yourself)”
Nico & Vinz – “Am I Wrong”
Of Monsters And Men – “Little Talks”
Paramore – “Ain’t It Fun”
Selena Gomez – “Come & Get It”
TLC – “Creep”
will.i.am ft. Britney Spears – “Scream & Shout”

Sydle

So excited for this. The track list looks good, got a big grin seeing Creep on there.

So I creep yeah
Just keep it on the down low...

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Glad you're all digging what we've announced so far. We have even more new tracks to announce before September 2 launch, along with a slew of legacy tracks we're bringing over from older DLC (that will be yours immediately in Spotlight if you've purchased them previously on Xbox 360). On launch day, you should have a ton of awesome stuff to dance to, and that's just the start.

If you're at gamescom, we'll be in Microsoft's booth this week, and we have PAX plans, as well. So like, wear your dancing shoes n' stuff.

Happy to answer any other questions on this thread, so holler 'em at me.

Alx

I suppose it's a given, but will there be a preview of all downloadable content in the main application ? I don't recognize that many songs from the list ("Take on Me" and "Here Comes the Hotstepper" are fine, but the rest... yeah I'm getting old :p), and I may find it hard to know what to buy if I can't get to hear a bit of them first.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
I suppose it's a given, but will there be a preview of all downloadable content in the main application ? I don't recognize that many songs from the list ("Take on Me" and "Here Comes the Hotstepper" are fine, but the rest... yeah I'm getting old :p), and I may find it hard to know what to buy if I can't get to hear a bit of them first.

Yup, if you select a song in the store, we will let you hear a clip of the track before you purchase it.

Pachimari

I'm very interested in seeing how big the selection of songs/dances become for this game.

This is the one game I'm excited for on Xbox One. :)

Which DLC from the first three games is confirmed to be able to be imported in?

Edit: Just saw that it was any that was previously purchased. Wish there was a release schedule, though.

Obscured

I like this setup (cheap base and fill out as I want) and have been really missing the lack if Dance Central on the XB1. It' debt nice to see some DLC bundles or other sales pricing in tbe future as well.

Glad to see some of these songs selections as well, but I cannot imagine a routine to go along with them.

Alx

Woah it's September already. Maybe it was subconscious, but I just started playing dance games again that week-end. Right on time for Dance Central. :)

Dabanton

I thought it was coming out on the 9th as well.

Looking forward to playing this. :)

With the better Kinect camera it's going to be interesting.

Guerrilla

This is pretty clever, and i totally prefer having to pay 10 bucks up front and then the 10 tracks i actually want instead of paying 60 for 30-40 tracks of which i like 5.

Day 1 for me now, wouldn't have bought if it was 30 or above with more tracks...

Top Bottom