• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc coming to PC via Steam in February

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Trying to decide if I want to get this on steam or vita, I didn't care much for Dangan 1 (played it patched) but want to experience the dub before playing the sequel. I like me some physical games but the dangans keep getting deep discounts on psn, hmm

The dub is the best part of both games.

Knurek

Why does a game that was made for PSP need 3GB of RAM and 1GB of VRAM on PC?

I get that it's probably based on the Vita version but even then the system requirements shouldn't be that high.

Windows 7 needs 3 GB of RAM.
And they probably don't have GPUs with less than 1GB of VRAM to test with.

The game does have dual audio right?
If yes I hope they won't remove it from the PC release because of licensing issues like capcom did with Dragons Dogma.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The game does have dual audio right?
If yes I hope they won't remove it from the PC release because of licensing issues like capcom did with Dragons Dogma.
Steam page indicate full english and japanese audio

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I just picked this up in the PSN sale. I was reluctant to try it because I don't like anime and the only VN I've had any interest in was Hatoful Boyfriend. It's not bad! I just finished the first trial and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Glad more people will get to enjoy it.

kuYuri

The system requirements:

Why does a game that was made for PSP need 3GB of RAM and 1GB of VRAM on PC?

I get that it's probably based on the Vita version but even then the system requirements shouldn't be that high.

You can get video cards with 1GB of VRAM for like $30 now. These days, you literally have to go out of your way to find video cards with VRAM less than 1GB.

Meia

Watched the trailer and i have no idea what this game is about

Is it like Phoenix Wright or something?

A Phoneix Wright game if Phoenix was trapped on an island with the entire cast of every game with the only way out was to literally get away with murder. :p

You have two parts to the game, one part where you get to know the characters by hanging out with them(if you're thinking like Persona social links you're on the right track), and then this comes to a screeching halt when someone dies, and then you investigate/have a trial much like an Ace Attorney game. The game itself has this split by calling the former "Daily Life" and the latter "Deadly Life".

It says something when the best advice you could get is "try not to get too attached to someone as you never know if they'll be suddenly killed/become a killer" and then simply not being able to since most of the cast are just great.

Mivey

Will depends on price, port quality.
I dont see why would a 40 to 50 euros Danganronpa would sell more on Steam than it did in Japan or West alone.
Why would they need to sell it at such a price? The game isn't exactly new and as opposed to the Vita (legacy platform, hur hur) , faces heavy competition on Steam, even in its own genre.
I think 20 to 30 euros/dollar would be a sensible price point. You really cannot blame the market if you price something twice as high as you competition without a major incentive, like incrediblely well known branding.

Why would they need to sell it at such a price? The game isn't exactly new and as opposed to the Vita (legacy platform, hur hur) , faces heavy competition on Steam, even in its own genre.
I think 20 to 30 euros/dollar would be a sensible price point. You really cannot blame the market if you price something twice as high as you competition without a major incentive, like incrediblely well known branding.

Thats my point thought. You can just claim "It will should sell 200k in 5 months" regardless of anything else.

It took 2 games and a year and 2 months after the 1st one, 6 months after the second one, to sell 200k in the whole west. And it sold 100k in Japan. 300k for both games worldwide. Why would only ONE sell 200k ?

Crayons

Banned
Yay! I own all three Danganronpa games. They've made their money off me but I'd love to play it on PC over Vita so I'm gonna have to double dip.

Still haven't played any of the three Danganronpa games yet.

cheesekao

Thats my point thought. You can just claim "It will should sell 200k in 5 months" regardless of anything else.

It took 2 games and a year and 2 months after the 1st one, 6 months after the second one, to sell 200k in the whole west. And it sold 100k in Japan. 300k for both games worldwide. Why would only ONE sell 200k ?
I would assume that if it sold that much on a relatively dead platform, it should do far better on a platform with multitudes more people.

Shizuka

Because it's tapping onto a platform that never got a game from the series, it's something that doesn't really have a direct competition on Steam and that has been highly requested over the years. If the price is right and the port is good, I do expect those numbers, sooner or later.

Corpekata

Banned
I would assume that if it sold that much on a relatively dead platform, it should do far better on a platform with multitudes more people.

I'd really say it depends on the genre. Visual novels aren't exactly big sellers. I don't think there's a VN on Steam period that's hit 200k sales.

I'm sure it will do well, and probably be one of the more successful VNs on the platform, but I don't expect it do gangbusters. The genre is niche for a reason beyond platform.

That was with both games combined though. People seems to overestimate the popularity is some of their favorite games. Sure it could find a new popularity, but let's not throw crazy numbers for the sake of it.

Because it's tapping onto a platform that never got a game from the series, it's something that doesn't really have a direct competition on Steam and that has been highly requested over the years. If the price is right and the port is good, I do expect those numbers, sooner or later.

And I think you tend to overestimate Danganronpa's popularity when worldwide sales of 1+2 are sitting below 350k and when in Japan, no game in the serie sold over 150k.
But I agree though, at the right price (20 euros) and with a good port (supporting resolutions higher than 1080p and good scaling options) it could find a new and bigger audience and reach these numbers for DR1 alone.

Javier

A Phoneix Wright game if Phoenix was trapped on an island with the entire cast of every game with the only way out was to literally get away with murder. :p

You have two parts to the game, one part where you get to know the characters by hanging out with them(if you're thinking like Persona social links you're on the right track), and then this comes to a screeching halt when someone dies, and then you investigate/have a trial much like an Ace Attorney game. The game itself has this split by calling the former "Daily Life" and the latter "Deadly Life".

It says something when the best advice you could get is "try not to get too attached to someone as you never know if they'll be suddenly killed/become a killer" and then simply not being able to since most of the cast are just great.
Does the game have branching storylines through player decisions or is it linear like Ace Attorney?

khaaan

Watched the trailer and i have no idea what this game is about

Is it like Phoenix Wright or something?

The flow of the games goes as such:

Step 1: Choose who to spend time with. Spend enough time with someone and they will slowly reveal more details about their backstory. Impossible to do in one playthrough, there's a separate mode where you can more easily become the senpai of all your peers.

Step 2: Story Junk

Step 3a: Go Back to Step 1
OR
Step 3b: Go to Step 4

Step 4: Phoenix Wright Trial except you have a time limit, conversation flows in real time, and you have to "shoot" the chunk of text you want to raise an objection about. Occasionally it decides it wants to be a rhythm game.

Repeat.

cheesekao

That was with both games combined though. People seems to overestimate the popularity is some of their favorite games. Sure it could find a new popularity, but let's not throw crazy numbers for the sake of it.

And I think you tend to overestimate Danganronpa's popularity when worldwide sales of 1+2 are sitting below 350k and when in Japan, no game in the serie sold over 150k.
But I agree though, at the right price (20 euros) and with a good port (supporting resolutions higher than 1080p and good scaling options) it could find a new and bigger audience and reach these numbers for DR1 alone.
I'd really say it depends on the genre. Visual novels aren't exactly big sellers. I don't think there's a VN on Steam period that's hit 200k sales.

I'm sure it will do well, and probably be one of the more successful VNs on the platform, but I don't expect it do gangbusters. The genre is niche for a reason beyond platform.
I just hope that it does better than that Sakura whatever game. I think that game has over 150k sales or something last I checked.

Meia

Does the game have branching storylines through player decisions or is it linear like Ace Attorney?

Linear.

No matter how many times you play through unfortuntately, the same people will die in the same methods, and you will always be sad about it. :(

The first time through any of these games is really magical for that reason. "Oh boy I really like this character after spending time with them I wonder what else I can learn about the-AND THEY'RE DEAD."

In terms of the mystery angle, it's also much like Ace Attorney in those regards too: While you deal with the drama of a murdered friend and having to find who did it, there's an overarching mystery you get pieces of in each chapter that comes to a conclusion with the last one.

The only real problem some have with the game is the mini-game aspect of trials at times. Most of them boil down to "pointing to a specific piece of evidence and blowing open something someone says", which is familiar if you've played any AA. Sometimes for seemingly no reason though, you'll have to play a game of hangman, or when an accused person "breaks down" you do an almost rhythm game part.

cheesekao

Sakura spirit sold over 250k indeed. It released at 9 dollars and has been sold for 2 dollars multiple times.
Didn't realize it was that cheap. Still, I hope PC Bros support this well. 100k in a few months should be doable imo. Already did my part with the Vita version.

joe2187

Banned
I'll buy to support more Dangan.

Although Im the complete opposite, I cant stand playing console games or PC games anymore. I'd much rather play on my Vita/remote play.

Im more likely to actually finish the game if it's on a handheld.

Looks good, can't wait to finally play it. Hope it's as good as the masterpiece Sakura games!

I'm sorry I am trolling so goddamn hard right now

Grief.exe

Linear.

No matter how many times you play through unfortuntately, the same people will die in the same methods, and you will always be sad about it. :(

The first time through any of these games is really magical for that reason. "Oh boy I really like this character after spending time with them I wonder what else I can learn about the-AND THEY'RE DEAD."

In terms of the mystery angle, it's also much like Ace Attorney in those regards too: While you deal with the drama of a murdered friend and having to find who did it, there's an overarching mystery you get pieces of in each chapter that comes to a conclusion with the last one.

The only real problem some have with the game is the mini-game aspect of trials at times. Most of them boil down to "pointing to a specific piece of evidence and blowing open something someone says", which is familiar if you've played any AA. Sometimes for seemingly no reason though, you'll have to play a game of hangman, or when an accused person "breaks down" you do an almost rhythm game part.

That sounds really cool actually.

Grief.exe

But if this is getting a PS4 release too at some point, wouldn't it make sense to have HD art assets?

That would be a seriously expensive undertaking to redo all of their assets.

The trailer did look lower resolution, so that's would I would recommend keeping expectations at. To be honest, expecting anything more than that is a bit absurd anyways.

FLD

Nice to see another confirmation from the leaks. Probably won't get it day one unless it's very cheap, though. I replayed the game just before DR2 came out, so it's still fairly fresh in memory. I can't imagine it being much fun to replay anytime soon. I might end up throwing money at them anyway if it's priced reasonably, though.

Also, it's safe to assume DR2 will follow but I wonder about Another Episode. I still haven't played my Vita copy so I'm not sure if I should get around to it ASAP or just hold off for a potential PC release that will certainly run better. Hmm...

Yasumi

Banned
Nice to see another confirmation from the leaks. Probably won't get it day one unless it's very cheap, though. I replayed the game just before DR2 came out, so it's still fairly fresh in memory. I can't imagine it being much fun to replay anytime soon. I might end up throwing money at them anyway if it's priced reasonably, though.

Also, it's safe to assume DR2 will follow but I wonder about Another Episode. I still haven't played my Vita copy so I'm not sure if I should get around to it ASAP or just hold off for a potential PC release that will certainly run better. Hmm...

Another Episode looks and runs great on Vita, barring one or two very small instances. Go ahead and play it before you accidentally get spoiled.

Top Bottom