• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc PC |OT| It's getting Steamy in here...

Rich!

I would advise absolutely against this, the english dub is far superior to the orignial

I wouldn't describe samey and shrill sounding generic american VA as superior to anything. Let alone Monokuma sounds like bloody Teddie from P4 as opposed to the unnerving and disturbing JP original.

But again, my opinion.

khaaan

I thought the dub was quite good and better than the Japanese ones. The only reason I was interested in the Japanese voices is because they apparently have big names behind them and some of the dialogue references the other characters they have played...but I don't know who those VA's are and don't care about them.

I also don't think the twists were as twisty as people are implying.

I just played through this on the Vita, and it was immaculate. I am happy I did though. While I'm sure they just worked in right clicking white noise, using the back touch screen was so much easier on Vita, and I can't really imagine it on any other platform.
Although, at least if I did it on PC I wouldn't have to worry about a rogue drop of water falling on my screen in the very last rhythm minigame and making me redo the entire hour long final trial.

(The person I am quoting talks about the length of the final trial and one of the components, I don't think it's a spoiler but to each their own.)

Wait, why would you have to redo an entire trial? You can save at almost any point. I think the only time you can't is if you get thrown into a mini-game.

aravuus

In other news, it's worth setting the game to easy because the minigames are abysmal and not the point of the experience.

100%

They're not fun in any way

Unlike with a lot of other games, easy difficulty is thankfully ACTUALLY easy. Don't think I failed a single mini-game in DR2.

e: and yeah, English dub is really great iirc, the hell y'all talking about

FluxWaveZ

I wouldn't describe samey and shrill sounding generic american VA as superior to anything. Let alone Monokuma sounds like bloody Teddie from P4 as opposed to the unnerving and disturbing JP original.

But again, my opinion.

Japanese Monokuma makes my ears bleed.

Sölf

Team Celestia reporting for duty!

Fantastic OT, Dragon Punch!

#TeamCelestia

I probably won't buy this, simply because I bought a Vita a few months ago and played through 1 and 2 (haven't finished AE so far). But I also recommend this game, it's great. And the soundtrack, oh god the soundtrack. So good. <3

semiconscious

Gold Member

But again, my opinion.

so much this. huge turn-off...

Geg

But again, my opinion.

Yeah I heard one line from Monokuma in the trailer and was like "No way am I playing this with English audio"

Wait, why would you have to redo an entire trial? You can save at almost any point. I think the only time you can't is if you get thrown into a mini-game.

Not to mention that if you fail a trial you don't start it over, you pretty much resume right where you were before even if you don't save.

edit: US Monokuma > JP Monokuma and US Makoto > JP Makoto

Rich!

so much this. huge turn-off...

yep

monokuma is supposed to be a weird-ass motherfucker. jp voice reflects this. NA version is the opposite, as well as being centered right in the middle of cringe-city.

that laugh is monokuma. there's no other way around it.

Sölf

this is two times in one day I have to agree with flux. Japanese monokuma is the worst thing about the japanese cast.

JP Monokuma is like the best character. The whole japanese cast is great. I mean, of course I accept your opinion of thinking the english version is better, but that still doesn't mean you are right. :p

T-Rex.

Banned
As a tip, I would advise people to play with the JP audio.

Obviously it's down to taste, but I feel its vastly superior (especially monokuma). US dub is unbearable for me.
No, that's wrong! The dub is great.

Kyoko best girl/character.

I would advise absolutely against this, the english dub is far superior to the orignial

Shadow Soldier knows whats up.

Either way I hope everyone enjoys this tomorrow and avoids searching for things because this game gets spoiled too easily imo.

If you want it, don't read anything and just go in blind.

Eh, it's all preference regarding JP or ENG voices. But...

Sore wa chigau yo! > No, that's wrong!

It just has more oomph.

I like Makoto's US voice because it conveys to me well that he doesn't really want to be there and begrudgingly going along with it because he has to. It's why I didn't like DR2's protagonist's VA as much. Then again I'm not a native Japanese speaker, so Makoto's voice actor might do the same thing there, but I can't really tell.

Also because he doesn't sound like a 12-year-old.

Shadow Soldier knows whats up.

Either way I hope everyone enjoys this tomorrow and avoids searching for things because this game gets spoiled too easily imo.

If you want it, don't read anything and just go in blind.

Agree with this 100% DO NOT LOOK UP ANYTHING!!! Everything will spoil you and you do not want to be fucking spoiled.

noooo let's not do dub wars

The English dub is neither better nor worse than the original. They're both equally valid ways to experience the story and it really all comes down to whether you prefer playing in English or Japanese. There, I settled it. Mail me my medal.

you should still play it in english for feep

noooo let's not do dub wars

The English dub is neither better nor worse than the original. They're both equally valid ways to experience the story and it really all comes down to whether you prefer playing in English or Japanese. There, I settled it. Mail me my medal.

you should still play it in english for feep
I probably would have never said anything if it wasnt for this
this

typical dollar store dub

this shit just gets under my skin

Luigi87

The English dub is fantastic. Anyone who says otherwise likely made judgement calls based on some lines in the trailer.

That being said the Japanese voices are of course fantastic too, and you can listen to whatever you want, but calling the English dub a typical dollar store dub is absolute bullshit.

And also Feep is awesome as Byakuya

That being said, I am glad that "I don't have a Vita" will no longer be an excuse for people to not play this fantastic game.

Azuran

Banned
The dub is amazing. The only real reason to play it in JPN is because Monokuma's laugh is way more infectious in it.

Rich!

yeah, enough about dubs

anyhow, looking forward to playing this again tomorrow whilst having a nice drink of hot despair

dsc_0796pfoop.jpg

I'll gladly double dip for this game. Waiting for any reactions of newcomers, as I missed the boat on the Vita release and came late for the second one.
And please, for all new people, DON'T SEARCH ANYTHING ABOUT THIS FRANCHISE. AT ALL. There's a reason why this fanbase is infamous around the Web.

Monokuma.gif

kewlmyc

The dub is good, but no. The original, considering how much legendary VA talent went into it, is better. Not by much, but better. Both are good choices with their own downsides (Naegi's EN VA is mediocre, while Celeste's JP is inferior to her EN VA), but I wouldn't say that one is superior to the other. This isn't Chaos Wars.

Dawg

I like both the English dub and Japanese dub. Played the first game on English for a while and most characters seemed fine.

Except for Byakuya. English VA was downright awful.

aravuus

I get upset when people disagree with me too

I try not to let it get to me tho

"typical dollar store dub" doesn't exactly sound like a "but that's just my opinion" sort of comment, surely you understand that?

I'm not one of those people who want everyone to include "imo" everywhere in their posts, but yours certainly comes off more as if you're trying to claim it's objectively mediocre, rather than than you just didn't personally like it

Ryuukan

"typical dollar store dub" doesn't exactly sound like a "but that's just my opinion" sort of comment, surely you understand that?

I'm not one of those people who want everyone to include "imo" everywhere in their posts, but yours certainly comes off more as if you're trying to claim it's objectively mediocre, rather than than you just didn't personally like it

I've played games with dubs I've enjoyed, Trails of Cold Steel most recently

I felt this one was very cheap in the same vein of other localizations with subpar VA

Obviously not. Some people just have to be asses when stating what they don't like.

we're going into name calling over voice acting? really?

I honestly wonder how the VA's themselves feel when their talent is considered "dollar store variety" by some. We get it guys, some of you are have been in bed with your favorite seiyuus for years, at some point the shit posting on dub VAs gets a little old. Would be nice to see a thread about this game where it doesn't automatically turn into a "legendary Japanese VA!!!!!!" vs "garden variety trash that I'll never give the time of day for".

Durante

I honestly wonder how the VA's themselves feel when their talent is considered "dollar store variety" by some. We get it guys, some of you are have been in bed with your favorite seiyuus for years, at some point the shit posting on dub VAs gets a little old. Would be nice to see a thread about this game where it doesn't automatically turn into a "legendary Japanese VA!!!!!!" vs "garden variety trash that I'll never give the time of day for".
It would also be nice if anyone voicing a VA preference wouldn't be immediately presumed to do so for invalid reasons.

Nyoro SF

Play whichever language you like.
Not sure why we have to raise up barriers and warfronts when the whole reason the option is there is so that you can choose what to enjoy; and your choice doesn't impact anyone else, so I don't know why there's a need to campaign for or against...

As for me, I played English on my Vita, so I'm going to go Japanese this time around.

aravuus

Play whichever language you like.

Well sure, this is a given. If you prefer English dubs, don't let anyone tell you should still go with the Japanese voices. If you prefer Japanese, don't listen to the people who still insist you should play it in English.

T-Rex.

Banned
Yup. Quality of dubs is generally good nowadays anyway I'd say, but obviously it varies on each product.

Anyway, back to Danganronpa... I got a Vita last November and it's the first game I completed on it. I loved every second of it, so much in fact that I ended up getting the plat for it :p

Ryuukan

I'd argue you started the name calling by calling it a "dollar store dub." Especially considering that one of the VAs is a regular here.

we can't criticize games on a video game forum now?

thats cool Feep worked on it, but that shouldn't make that facet of the game immune to criticism

Well sure, this is a given. If you prefer English dubs, don't let anyone tell you should still go with the Japanese voices. If you prefer Japanese, don't listen to the people who still insist you should play it in English.

Yeah, saying "avoid the English dub because it sucks" is valid when it's a Chaos Wars-tier "they clearly didn't give a fuck" situation, but for anything short of that the correct answer is you personal preference, since the vast majority of English dubs these days are only bad if you're already used to the Japanese voice actors.

Top Bottom