• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daphne from Scooby Doo'll change from size 2 to size 8 in new animated movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're both wrong.

Scooby-doo-on-zombie-island.jpg

Damn right.

Man those scenes where the zombie appeared in the pit and when the ghost showed up in the kitchen scared the hell out of me first time I saw it.

Toad.T

Banned
Do these things actually make money?

More than all the other Hannah Barbera IP put together nowadays. But when your competition boils down to: sometimes Flintstones, rarely Yogi Bear and once in a blue moon for anything else, that's not that great of an accomplishment.

I remember the one where they went in computers and met themselves and shit. That was rad.

Was it labeled as "Size 8" in the movie?

not at all. Also she never goes crazy about it. She actually whines and moans about the hair. The body is something secondary, to which the only time she has a trouble with, is when she gets stuck on a crawl space at the end.

And thanks yahoo, you ruined the only clue to solving the mistery of the movie. you assholes.

Alucrid

Banned
The US mens pants system is by far the most sensical because it just lists the critical dimensions. I don't know why anyone needs anything more abstract than that.

when i buy pants i want to know more than waist and length. hell, length isn't even an issue since that can be shortened. i do like to know the rise, thigh and leg openings though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Thinking back though, Scooby Doo is really fucking weird. Like, discounting Mystery Incorporated because it did go for its own self contained thing Scooby Doo has had essentially contiguous canon up through Whats New Scooby Doo in 2002. Thats like 33 years of a children's cartoon that was supposedly all on one timeline

Crocodile

A) In no universe is that a size 8 body frame LOL

B) The best Scooby Doo movies have been the ones where the monsters are real. Zombie Island and Witch's Ghost stand out as being particularly good.

C) LOL how did this turn into a stealth Scooby Do cosplay thread :p

Eugh, seriously? Not her sight, her intellect, her family or her funky little scarf?

Let's be real, most interpretations of Daphne have not been what I would consider "enlightened" so to speak.

" The statement also notes that Daphne’s longtime love, Fred, “didn’t even notice a change and that she always looks great to him.” That message could be the worst of all — that a woman’s self-esteem and acceptance of her body and looks comes from a man’s approval, not from within. "

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't

Lijik

Out of the goofier stuff, WWE Mystery really is one of the better Scooby Doo movies. The opening features a bunch of Mystery Machines crashing into each other and exploding. At one point Scooby gets arrested in WWE City (which was built on the grounds where an evil ghost bear was buried) and Vince McMahon tells him there are no courts, he must win his freedom IN THE RING

Id watch it over Reluctant Werewolf any day of the week

I'm a size 8. You can look at my avy and judge how much of a whale I am.

I agree it's stupid as hell. At least recently they are going with (even though it's stupid too) 'curvy' or whatever sizes. It's a fucking nightmare to find jeans that fit. I'm 5'9, 150ish, and depending on the brand, I wear anything from a 10-14 in pants sizes. Just cause I have a big ass. And then there's gapping like hell around the waist and.... Ugh.

And very slight girls have the same problem.

I have this problem with tops and dresses! Whenever I'm buying something online I look at the measurements and it's like, "Waist? Fine. Hips? Fine. Bust? 5 inches too small."

The only choices are to go up a size and feel like I'm wearing a circus tent, or stay with the lower size and sport massive amounts of cleavage.

Out of the goofier stuff, WWE Mystery really is one of the better Scooby Doo movies. The opening features a bunch of Mystery Machines crashing into each other and exploding. At one point Scooby gets arrested in WWE City (which was built on the grounds where an evil ghost bear was buried) and Vince McMahon tells him there are no courts, he must win his freedom IN THE RING

I need to watch this now.

The Technomancer

Yeah, I'm not huge up top, but a good C. I tend to favor like, size xxl shirts because they are loose and are long enough to cover my hips and bum. (I know everyone here loves the whole big ass thing, but it's a flaw in my eyes for some reason and I hate it)

Shirts that fit me well tend to be tight as hell in the chest, and therefore ride up over the pants line and that's fucking annoying. I love getting the xl baby doll shirts though, tight across the chest and super long so they don't ride up :p

Oh my god fiction your a girl we get it stop rubbing our faces in it geez why do you always have to make everything about how your a woman

ItIsOkBro

Female sizing is the stupidest, most arbitrary shit.
I've argued with my girlfriend about how terrible it is and she says the male style of pants having waist size/leg length right on the label is dumb too.

Like fucking please.

I seen some men's pants switching to a single number, it's the worst thing ever.

Yeah, I'm not huge up top, but a good C. I tend to favor like, size xxl shirts because they are loose and are long enough to cover my hips and bum. (I know everyone here loves the whole big ass thing, but it's a flaw in my eyes for some reason and I hate it)

Shirts that fit me well tend to be tight as hell in the chest, and therefore ride up over the pants line and that's fucking annoying. I love getting the xl baby doll shirts though, tight across the chest and super long so they don't ride up :p

I bet I'd be envious of your butt. I'm doing my best to build up a bigger ass in the gym (mine's not small but I'm definitely top heavy, and I prefer the bottom heavy look).

For tops I try to go with the trapeze or tunic typs so that they fit well in the bust and flow more loosely toward the bottom. Just the style I like.

I have this problem with tops and dresses! Whenever I'm buying something online I look at the measurements and it's like, "Waist? Fine. Hips? Fine. Bust? 5 inches too small."

The only choices are to go up a size and feel like I'm wearing a circus tent, or stay with the lower size and sport massive amounts of cleavage.

Heh, I'm the other way. Hips fine, waist fine, chest... well what am I meant to put in here?

UK size 12 (so US 8) and 5'10".

Let's be real, most interpretations of Daphne have not been what I would consider "enlightened" so to speak.

But the scarf!

I loooove tunic shirts. Though if I could afford it I'd dress like a damned fairy all day everyday. Flowly sleeves and skirts. (I admit I am freaking weird)

Current wardrobe is mostly jeans and band/t-show t-shirts lol

No judgement here. I sport a very Stevie Nicks look, myself, most of the time.

I liked Cyber Chase growing up, was decent
But the recent WWE x Scooby Doo movie was actually good, Vince took a W

So it's a curse to be big now? smh not a good message if Daphne says that in the movie

I'm a size 8. You can look at my avy and judge how much of a whale I am.

I need to watch this now.

My wife has similar issue as she's also top heavy (has a big bum too though). Some shirts/dresses make her look pregnant or something because her boobs push out the stomach region. She has a pretty damn flat tummy too.

Witch's Ghost is the best Scooby Doo movie, but Mystery Incorporated is so much further ahead than anything else Scooby at all it makes the movie debate pointless.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Girl Gaf take over XD

I'm kinda shy about talking about this but I'm feeling less so seeing you girls talk about it. Mind if I join in?

My measurements are 38~28~41. I got the big butt and breast thing so I try to cover up as much as possible. My usual outfit consists of jeans and t-shirts because (I feel like you Fiction) it's not awesome. Especially not when my curves gather unwanted attention.

So yeah, if Daphne is supposed to be an 8 (like 8 is too big, wat?), this is ridiculous.

The Technomancer

Witch's Ghost is the best Scooby Doo movie, but Mystery Incorporated is so much further ahead than anything else Scooby at all it makes the movie debate pointless.

Mystery Incorperated is brilliant in some areas and ham-handed in others. I love it but I can't quite call it unquestionably the best Scooby Doo thing ever

Girl Gaf take over XD

I'm kinda shy about talking about this but I'm feeling less so seeing you girls talk about it. Mind if I join in?

My measurements are 38~28~41. I got the big butt and breast thing so I try to cover up as much as possible. My usual outfit consists of jeans and t-shirts because (I feel like you Fiction) it's not awesome. Especially not when my curves gather unwanted attention.

So yeah, if Daphne is supposed to be an 8 (like 8 is too big, wat?), this is ridiculous.
Is that bust, waist, hips?

studyguy

So if women are an 8 in the US, a 10 in the EU, how many buck skins are they on Mars? Because the sizing makes about as much sense to me as any other arbitrary method you could think of. My girlfriend is about 1/4th a broomhandle and 3 rabbits. She's got dat ass alright.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah seriously wtf.

That being said, this only seems to reinforce the idea that Daphne is vain and only cares about her looks. That's disappointing. Why can't she be hot and smart? :(

[Also, I'm 5'5" & a size UK 4/6, or a US size 00. I have body pictures up in the Face-GAF thread if people are curious what a size US 00 looks like lol.]

Because the characters are all foils to one another. Fred is confident, muscular, has nice hair, and stands tall compared to Shaggy who is always scared, is very skinny, unkempt hair, and slouches. She's not a stupid person, (outside of the live action films where she less smart than her animated counterpart), she's just not as smart as Velma just like Velma (in the context of the show) isn't considered as beautiful as Velma. For all we know the main message behind this film will be that looks and weight aren't all that matters. A good message to teach to kids imho.

The US mens pants system is by far the most sensical because it just lists the critical dimensions. I don't know why anyone needs anything more abstract than that.
well, a 32 in one brand is not gonna necessarily be a 32 in another; same with suiting. there isn't a real standard anywhere, men's clothing is just far less squirrely about it.

The Technomancer

Because the characters are all foils to one another. Fred is confident, muscular, has nice hair, and stands tall compared to Shaggy who is always scared, is very skinny, unkempt hair, and slouches. She's not a stupid person, (outside of the live action films where she less smart than her animated counterpart), she's just not as smart as Velma just like Velma (in the context of the show) isn't considered as beautiful as Velma. For all we know the main message behind this film will be that looks and weight aren't all that matters. A good message to teach to kids imho.

Her being specifically a "size 8" is pretty bad no matter how you look at it, but its true that this could be contextualized as "her learning that her worst fear isn't actually that bad/that her figure isn't everything", and that would be appropriate

My wife has similar issue as she's also top heavy (has a big bum too though). Some shirts/dresses make her look pregnant or something because her boobs push out the stomach region. She has a pretty damn flat tummy too.

Same happens to me, a lot of the styles of shirts popular in the last couple of years are not kind on my figure. Fashion designers clearly do not take bigger busted girls into consideration (or anyone with a shape other than "model").

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I know nothing about scooby doo but daphne looks way more cute than velma. That lil yellow bow, hng.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom