• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Lighting changes/Downgrade

Honestly if I have to use a torch in the PC version I'm gonna be upset. Sounds like an infuriating mechanic in this game where normal mobs are harder than most the bosses, and torch forces you to not 2hand or have a shield.

Honestly if I have to use a torch in the PC version I'm gonna be upset. Sounds like an infuriating mechanic in this game where normal mobs are harder than most the bosses, and torch forces you to not 2hand or have a shield.

The solution to that is to put slightly easier mobs in dark parts to balance the fact that you cant equip a shield.

The bad solution is to "lol, lets throw away our amazing atmospheric darkness and torch mechanic"

Grief.exe

But the game (and engine) still clearly has those features -- the assets just use them more rarely. I guess it's a different definition of "missing" effects.

My definition of mission was exaggerated. I hope that the assets use them more frequently for the PC version.

Forces you to, briefly, change up your play style. Keeps you on your tows and keeps games from becoming monotonous.

It also looks like there are sconces speckled throughout the level. Lure the enemies back to those to fight as well.

The solution to that is to put slightly easier mobs in dark parts to balance the fact that you cant equip a shield.

The bad solution is to "lol, lets throw away our amazing atmospheric darkness and torch mechanic"

From the demo, it seemed like they balanced it with slower mobs that would be easier to maneuver around.

Havel

Or you could just drop the torch on the floor for a few seconds.

Hire me, From.

Durante

I stayed away from any DS2 information beyond the technical, but in DS1 there were at least 2 options for not using a torch and still getting light in the dark areas. Aren't there any in DS2?

dosh

I think the best we can hope for from the PC version is the TGS build. If I had to bet on one build, it would be that.

At least, the textures seem to be similar. At this point, I'll gladly switch to pc and take the TGS build.

Is it the same build we played during the network test?

Ricky 7

Those screen shots in the OP look close to a PS2 game. =/ Publishers need to stop lying about how games actually look on the console. We've had Watch Dogs, Infamous: Second Son and Dark Souls 2 all exposed in the same time frame. T_T

zma1013

Normally I would say yes but being that this is From Software and a new engine I can see them still struggling to get parity.

Everything that I've read or heard about Dark Souls 1 was that for all intents and purposes that game was at parity for both consoles. There wasn't a huge gulf between them in terms of performance. They've already did a multiplat game with relative parity.

The final game has more differences than simply lighting.

Missing torches and different textures:

Lack of light sources and less furniture and other details:

Entirely different textures. Looks like another game:

Different day time, greatly reduced the amount of dragons and a competely different castle:

Again completely different scenery in the same area:

ugh. PC build better not having any of those things missing. . . I expect superior geometry, original superior scenery and all the other stuff missing. not just simple things like resolution increase.

Dark Souls II |OT| Prepare To Upgrade

Dark Souls II |OT| Prepare To Cry

Durante

ugh. PC build better not having any of those things missing. . . I expect superior geometry, original superior scenery and all the other stuff missing. not just simple things like resolution increase.
I really see no way that the scenes which had a complete artistic redesign will feature the old design in any version. That doesn't make sense.

Everything that I've read or heard about Dark Souls 1 was that for all intents and purposes that game was at parity for both consoles. There wasn't a huge gulf between them in terms of performance. They've already did a multiplat game with relative parity.

Because the game was developed on PS3 and it's easier to port to the 360. This was a PC game ported to the cell.

Speaking of the items to light the darkness in DS1.

Is there even complete darkness in DS2, anything like Tomb of the Giants??? Just say yes or no please, no spoilers.

The game looks like a top PS360 game. People were maybe expecting too much from very old hardware. It's still one of the more impressive PS360 games, visually. At best the claim of false advertising is legit, if the difference is a huge deal and they explicitly stated that earlier footage was representative of PS360. It's not like we can't see the game now and things have never changed before.

I think downgrade hysteria can become ridiculous if people are unrealistic. Also Vsync is usually off on 360 if it holds a better framerate and tearing is less intrusive. There are other reasons for no triple-buffering.
Up until a few weeks ago, no other version of Dark Souls 2 existed as far as we knew. Were you in every thread telling everyone that the game was never going to look anything like what we were seeing? Everyone who preordered or planned to buy DS2 had no reason to expect the massive downgrade we got.

The version we didn't get would have been a top looking PS360 title, the retail version really, really isn't.

jimmypython

It gets darker every time you use a
bonfire ascetic
until it's pitch dark: problem solved.

I've been lighting torches in all the areas that I can. The light/shadows looks pretty good. No slowdown issues (PS3 download version).

Just for fun, I turned the lighting adjustment almost all the way down in one area that wasn't lit and it's really dark with no light source.

Haunted

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Durante pls
where-are-my-dragons.gif

Seriously WTF
That is the best use of this .gif I've seen yet.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The difference between the reveal and the TGS demo is not really that jarring - The reveal was probably want they wanted the game to be like, TGS demo is probably what they managed to get it looking like.

The more baffling difference between TGS demo and Retail is the lighting. I would argue that they couldn't get a smooth framerate for the entire game with the lighting effects turned on, so they just turned it off and made the entire world brighter, which brings attention to things like the repeating textures you weren't supposed to see.

If that's what really happened, I don't see a reason why the PC couldn't have the new lighting. However, I still think it won't have it.

The difference between the reveal and the TGS demo is not really that jarring - The reveal was probably want they wanted the game to be like, TGS demo is probably what they managed to get it looking like.

The more baffling difference between TGS demo and Retail is the lighting. I would argue that they couldn't get a smooth framerate for the entire game with the lighting effects turned on, so they just turned it off and made the entire world brighter, which brings attention to things like the repeating textures you weren't supposed to see.

If that's what really happened, I don't see a reason why the PC couldn't have the new lighting. However, I still think it won't have it.

Sadly, I agree with you, when journos asked FROM about the lack of options in the first port they said something like "we want everyone to have the same experience". It wouldn't surprise me.

Well I'm sure they don't want the two games to play differently depending on how much the torch mechanic changed the game. I would still like improved lighting though just not the full blown so dark you need a torch lighting.

Edzi

Does anyone know how difficult/realistic it would be for them to patch in at least some of the lighting/darkness stuff? What about for the fps? I'm curious if this is a possibility.

JoeFenix

To all the people crying about the graphics, I'd like to say that I'm having so much fun actually playing the game right now. Are you jealous?

I've been crying about the graphics ,I've been playing the game and having so much fun actually. The graphics and torch downgrade are still worth complaining about. Also, I bet I have way more Awestones than you. Are you jealous?

What the fuck was the point of your post anyway?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I've been crying about the graphics ,I've been playing the game and having so much fun actually. The graphics and torch downgrade are still worth complaining about. Also, I bet I have way more Awestones than you. Are you jealous?

What the fuck was the point of your post anyway?

Gameplay > Graphics i guess

Adaren

To all the people crying about the graphics, I'd like to say that I'm having so much fun actually playing the game right now. Are you jealous?

Yep. Can't wait for the PC release. I don't want my first experience with a game I will probably play for years to be tainted by glaring graphical issues and screen tearing.

I had that experience with Wind Waker HD, where the lighting would become unmistakably hideous every time a chest was opened. I'd rather wait a month and a half to experience a version where I can focus on the gameplay.

Nohar

@DarknessTear: Seriously?

In any case, I was going to wait for the PC version anyway, but if said PC version have the same graphics as the console versions, then I guess I won't buy Dark Souls 2. Not because I fear the game won't be good (by all accounts, it's still a wonderful game), but I'm not giving my money to a company which pulls out stunts like this. This is false advertising, a total lack of respect towards the consumers (since it's pretty obvious that they hid this downgrade on purpose - seriously, the game looked fine two months before its release!), and this kind of bullshit is just unforgivable (not to mention probably illegal).

Mrfb17

Neo Member
I work in the industry and it worries me the amount of faith some of you guys are having on the pc build.

If the Steam size of 14gb is right it would probably be a LOT bigger to re enable the tech you're seeing from the TGS Demo.
It's more likely to be higher res textures and uncompressed audio unfortunately.

I hope I'm wrong but experience says otherwise,altho I have all the faith in the world for the modding community to bring out the potential of the PC release.

Top Bottom