• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - Graphics Comparison - PC Preview

Loading times alone are the biggest selling point of the PC version.

However, I doubt anyone playing the console version right now will even mind switching to PC once the port gets released: People actively playing on X360 or PS3 (who have already reached NG+) are either used to the angering loading times or just don't even find them bothering at all. I'm not one of those guys, which is why I sold my PS3 copy immediately in hopes of a better performing version (that we fortunately got).

Realistically I can only see a very selective few double dipping for this game.

I'm double dipping. I did my NG run (for the hunger) on PS3, and I'll be doing a NG Champions run, then NG+ etc on PC.

People already playing the console version don't mind the loading times that much. The PC version is the same game and the improvements might not be enough to some, which is understandable.

I doubt any NG++ (and above) players will even bother with the PC uncapped port. Just a small few probably would.

The load times are THE worst thing about the game.

I'm double dipping. I did my NG run (for the hunger) on PS3, and I'll be doing a NG Champions run, then NG+ etc on PC.

Yep I also double dip, I got the collectors edition since I didnt know the PC was getting one. Got the PC version for 40, thanks to whoever posted the 20% voucher for GMG.

creyas

You can buy the game as a digital download on console (much like you'll probably do on PC) and the loads aren't bad at all. Surprisingly fast.

PC pre-ordered and putting it on SSD, which will be nicer, but let's not pretend this is some unavoidable huge issue if it wasn't for PC.

Grief.exe

You can buy the game as a digital download on console (much like you'll probably do on PC) and the loads aren't bad at all. Surprisingly fast.

PC pre-ordered and putting it on SSD, which will be nicer, but let's not pretend this is some unavoidable huge issue if it wasn't for PC.

Even with the digital version, people are still complaining of longer load times. 15-20 seconds per load for digital version, 25-30 for disc.

The PC version has these down to 1-2 seconds on a HDD. It honestly seems to be more of a CPU issue on the console side.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I remember the reduced jumping distance and occasionally falling through geometry when fast sliding down ladders when running 60fps. Did DS1 have additional bugs when you were running 120fps? What were those?

120fps was just not really playable. When sprinting on any inclines you would move even slower than if you were walking. Rolls could end up being REALLY short.

It basically changes from buggy to broken, when a fundamental thing like "running" doesn't work properly, and rolling being almost useless in some spots.

Man the PC version just looks better and better with every screen. Really glad I waited to start NG+ on PS3. I'll be switching to the PC version full time.

Zemm

This one looks like it's taking place in front of a green screen haha

darksouls2-small-20.jpg

nbthedude

The starting of a movement. We may not be able to get the lighting restored in Dark Souls 2, but we surely can get PC Gamer to publish a goddamn article. It's only 8 days from release! The time has come! The public shall be informed!

tweetnpz8i.png

Voice you beautiful democracy and direct your populist rage at @PCGamer

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm starting a movement. We may not be able to get the lighting restored in Dark Souls 2, but we surely can get PC Gamer to publish a goddamn article. It's only 8 days from release! The time has come! The public shall be informed!

tweetnpz8i.png

They're probably still working on it. Articles don't and shouldn't just go up raw. They need to be edited and checked before hand.

kewlmyc

I'm starting a movement. We may not be able to get the lighting restored in Dark Souls 2, but we surely can get PC Gamer to publish a goddamn article. It's only 8 days from release! The time has come! The public shall be informed!

tweetnpz8i.png

They're probably not done. Calm down dude.

Kssio_Aug

They need to release it to PS4.
I will not play it on my PS3 and neither in my PC... I dont like to play anything at PC but Diablo 3 and Guild Wars.

Grief.exe

"amazing"? I mean a turd would look good in 4k, but those hardly look amazing to me.
Aside from the sea shots, that water looks sweet.

What in the hell is this?

Nice cherry-picking. That spot looks horrible on consoles as well, its not like they would update that for the PC version.

I dont like to play anything at PC but Diablo 3 and Guild Wars.

Glad we could have your contribution to this thread.

nbthedude

They're probably still working on it. Articles don't and shouldn't just go up raw. They need to be edited and checked before hand.

Actually, it just got a response:

tweet2nsbo8.png

Praise the Sun!

Also, as someone who just completed a PhD dissertation on English Literature, I fully endorse "raw" articles. Message, not the medium where Dark Souls is concerned. Take that McLuhan.

zma1013

"amazing"? I mean a turd would look good in 4k, but those hardly look amazing to me.
Aside from the sea shots, that water looks sweet.

What in the hell is this?

That sort of stuff is all over the game. One of the other shots shows the laughable 2D cliffside at the Cathedral. Best to just stick to showing off Mujala shiny water shots.

Actually I want to see
Doors of Pharros
and
Dragon Aerie
in 4K, that would be great.

Stet

Banned

tweetnpz8i.png

More like Dan Childish

Anteater

those 4k shots look a bit too bright on my end, otherwise looks good

could be just my display though :( but nothing sweetfx can't fix for me!

UrbanRats

Nice cherry-picking. That spot looks horrible on consoles as well, its not like they would update that for the PC version.

"Cherry picking"? It's one of the few shots that were in the link posted, i didn't cherry pick anything.

Even going by the other screens, i wouldn't call it "amazing" at all, though.

Echoplx

"Cherry picking"? It's one of the few shots that were in the link posted, i didn't cherry pick anything.

Even going by the other screens, i wouldn't call it "amazing" at all, though.

There's like 40 screenshots in that link and that is probably the worst one of them all.

UnrealEck

1. Denial - PC version won't look that shitty, they said it's developed for PC this time.
  2. Anger - It fucking better not be downgraded or people will just boycott them. PC can handle the lighting ffs. I'm not supporting lying devs.
  3. Bargaining - If the PC version has lighting in-tact then it'll sell well. In fact if it's not downgraded I'll buy two copies.
  4. Depression - Guys, please tell me the rumors are all untrue and it'll still look like it did in the demos. Please? Anyone? FROM? Namco?
  5. Acceptance - It looks better than the console version, but nothing like the demos.

Timu

Man a lot of those 4k screenshots are beautiful, looks quite better than the 1st as well even with the resolution mod.

UrbanRats

There's like 40 screenshots in that link and that is probably the worst one of them all.

Uh.. yeah that's why i posted it with "what the hell is this?" I didn't take the screen myself, i didn't avoid all the amazing visuals and go somewhere to take that screen and pretend those were the game's standard graphics.
-
As i said already, the game looks alright to me (aside from those shots with the shiny water which i'd go as far as say they look great) but not nearly something i'd call "amazing".

That ugly shot is particularly ugly, which is why i posted it and asked what the hell was wrong with it.
It would be cherry picking if it was my only basis to claim that the game doesn't look "amazing", but it's not.

creyas

Actually, it just got a response:

tweet2nsbo8.png

Praise the Sun!

Also, as someone who just completed a PhD dissertation on English Literature, I fully endorse "raw" articles. Message, not the medium where Dark Souls is concerned. Take that McLuhan.

Sooner than i expected.

4920194+_319efab1548c8e5db6f1ff388ddf02c0.gif

Need to find a DS4 compatible bluetooth receiver next week and i'm set. Not 100% sure if i'll prefer playing Souls on it instead of a DS3 though, will find out soon enough.

Top Bottom