• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either going Bandit or Cleric, myself. Or maybe Warrior. I realize Warrior isn't as optimized for min-max, but I'm not sure yet if I want to dabble in some faith stuff, or maybe even some magic stuff, so the Warrior presents a decent compromise for one in such a position.

awesome gifs
I really like what they did with the Cleric and Sorcerer sets compared to DS1.

Vlade

indeed, I always make the face I want. It's a bit obtuse as a tool, but it worked.

From my original 360 character back in 2011:

from a recent PC character:

I intend to make a nice female face again in DS2. Watch me spend an hour on it before even playing the game. I'm liable to do this.

Every character builder I encounter, I first build... well basically the same character you are showing here. I don not intend to break that streak.

zashga

I played a male in the original Dark Souls, but was thinking of making a female character this time. I don't remember, though... do stats vary based on the character's sex?

Nope, stats don't change at all. Most armor looks pretty much identical too. The voice is the only discernable difference if you're kitted out in heavy armor.

(I don't have DS2.)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Everyone bashes the Dark Souls face creation, but personally I think it lets you make some good looking faces... Most people, unfortunately, will come up with shit and then bash the system.
Well, I've managed to make good looking females in both Demon's and Dark, and I've even made handsome dudes in Demon's but not in Dark yet. I fiddle with the parameters forever and I'm never satisfied. Any guidelines for making someone like that dreamy Solaire? Maybe the Dark Souls 2 beards will help with that at least. ^^

My male pawns in Dragon's Dogma are hawt, let me tell you. And it took very little effort. ^_^

cleric.gif
lol at the poor cleric being shoeless. Stepping through all those twigs in the Huntsman's Copse is going to be a nightmare!

P R E P A R E T O C A L L U S

So for us avoiding spoilers, let's talk turkey. What ya gonna BE on tuesday? I took these gifs from a character creation demo video on youtube. It's worth noting that no one starts with any rings, except for the explorer, who has some kind of ring on.
I've been fairly certain I've wanted to play a cleric for weeks now - it's just a natural niche I like to fill in this series, that of the innocent pilgrim in a gruesome land trying to hold on to whatever scrap of faith and sanity they have left. The only remaining question for me is whether I want to do a str/faith cleric or a pure faith cleric. Really depends on how effective the enhancements that scale with faith are this time around. They were kind of a waste of time in the first Dark Souls.

Sanctuary

So for us avoiding spoilers, let's talk turkey. What ya gonna BE on tuesday? I took these gifs from a character creation demo video on youtube. It's worth noting that no one starts with any rings, except for the explorer, who has some kind of ring on.

The kid side in me says Sorcerer, because you get to swing a bad ass magical sword and go pew pew with pyromancy and sorcery stuff, but the frosting side says it would probably be more economical to just go with the Explorer since I'll have no idea when I'll be able to grab specific spells and how much they cost. Plus, the Explorer is a bit more generic and rounded, so less prone to fucking up much early on. Plus, dat Adaptability and those items.

Mana Sin

That's the same message I'm getting. It's really gonna fucking suck if I don't get it on Tuesday. I even put one day delivery.

I have the same message for the PS3 Collector's Edition. The last customer service rep I talked to said that I should still get it on the 11th, but I don't quite believe/trust him. I even put one-day delivery too.

oroboros

So for us avoiding spoilers, let's talk turkey. What ya gonna BE on tuesday?

deprived.gif

Deprived, because I want to start from nothing and build my character from ground zero into a bad ass having to use things I happen to find. As soon as I find a good weapon and a good spell whatever they happen to be then I'll start to spec for STR/DEX & INT/FAI.

dmr87

Probably going dex as I did in Dark Souls, Swordsman or Bandit. Just need to figure out if I want to dual wield or not.

Seance

Banned
Deprived, because I want to start from nothing and build my character from ground zero into a bad ass having to use things I happen to find. As soon as I find a good weapon and a good spell whatever they happen to be then I'll start to spec for STR/DEX & INT/FAI.

Are u that twitch/utube kid oroborninja?

Mutombo

I'm going with one of the lost boys from Peter Pan, wearing a a kettle on his head.

DEX speedrolling until I find some good buffs/hexes and will up my Faith after I have around 30 dex, 20 vigor, 20 adaptability and 20 endurance. Since I will be speedrolling I won't be needing to put points in vitality, hopefully.

Edit: I see now that it's a girl, not a boy.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm going with one of the lost boys from Peter Pan, wearing a a kettle on his head.

DEX speedrolling until I find some good buffs/hexes and will up my Faith after I have around 30 dex, 20 vigor, 20 adaptability and 20 endurance. Since I will be speedrolling I won't be needing to put points in vitality, hopefully.

I pointed this out late last night, but yeah, Bandit is pretty clearly inspired by Yangus.

Dq8_Yangus.png

Brad Shoemaker ‏@bradshoemaker 2m

The Dark Souls II QL we thought would be like 30 minutes ended up going an hour twenty. Oops.

Fhtagn

I am leaning faith build because I've never really committed to that kind of character before. Especially if maces are wicked cool again like they were in DeS.

tookhster

Surprised at all the people giving in to the streams, but then again I'm not. It's just that I expected people to stay the most spoiler free for Dark Souls of all games since that's where all the fun comes from, but I know that PvP players don't give a crap about that lol. Nothing against them btw.

Anyways, I'm continuing my tradition with the knight. Should be interesting considering he
has no shield
at first but I think I can manage until I find one.

dreamfall

I think I'm going to turn the Swordsman into a proper Wanderer. I need my hood and once I get a shield, no dual wielding for me !

Jobbs

Banned
son of a bitch... I can't decide between a Warrior and a Knight. Tears of a Hollowed.

Warrior starts with a shield, knight starts with a better sword (the warrior's sword is broken, you can tell from the image). I'm sure it's not long before you find shields and better weapons, though.

More importantly: Warrior has more points dropped into casting stats.

faith + int + attunement

swordsman: 18
deprived: 18
explorer: 17
warrior: 15
knight: 13
bandit: 11

If you don't plan to use any spell casting or miracles, bandit and knight (dex vs. no dex) are best. If you're like me and you aren't exactly sure yet if you want to go into miracles or magic or none of the above, warrior's not a terrible choice. There's less of a hurdle to get through if you decide at some point you want to get into some magic.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hrmm. Should be interesting to see if it's moveset improved.

I know some people swear by the thing but I just don't get the appeal besides having a weird moveset that not a lot of people are accustomed to fighting against.

Oh my.
Never actually seen anyone swear by the thing. Miridian hammer on the other hand was all kinds of unbalanced. The
shield bypass for the lucerne
is only going to be on specific attacks, like the R2 or something.

ironcreed

Banned
My mind keeps drifting back my go-to balanced dex/strength build with maybe a bit of magic later on. I might just go bandit for the starting boost on dex and strength and then put most of my early points into adaptability. I think that might work out well.

Never actually seen anyone swear by the thing. Miridian hammer on the other hand was all kinds of unbalanced. The
shield bypass for the lucerne
is only going to be on specific attacks, like the R2 or something.

In my time I'm pretty sure I've heard people swear by just about every obscure weapon save broken hilts or the basic whip, for a variety of reasons, some more legitimate than others. Having a weird moveset can definitely be an advantage in high-level PVP, but it can work against you just as easily as it can work for you.

Jobbs

Banned
I think what I very may well do is start two characters almost right away. I swear to god I might do this. That way I can make note about where things are that might be fun to use on the other build, and sorta play what suits me in the moment. Not like I'm in a rush to get to the end of the game, nor am I bothered by the prospect of doing the same content over again.

ezekial45

Banned
Just gonna ask again.

For anyone else who's playing the game, I need some help.

Fairly early spoilers
I just beat The Last Giant boss. Am I supposed to head to Hiede's landing next? It's the place with the giant armored guys. I'm having a hard time against them.

Also , when can I reverse hollowing? It keeps saying I can't burn the human effigy. Or am I using it wrong. I'm trying to get my health back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom