• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

eot

Banned
Neither will I, although it's only fair to assume that it's just a symptom of being completely poisoned by the hype machine.

People can have different opinions, it's quite natural. Some people aren't going to be upset by changes from a pre-release build because they know that's the norm.

krakov

I would guess PvP and co-op is still largely based on soul level. The remarks they have made that soul amount is taken into consideration is probably in extreme cases, like making overpowered SL 1 builds for example.

Would really complicate things if soul amount plays a large role into matchmaking. Hey let's have a SL 120 + 32300000 souls gathered fight club! Bring out your calculators everybody!

At least you don't have to wait until April 25th

RIP

I can barely wait a week lol.

with the changes to pvp, would the respect play a part in this?

you forfeit souls for respec don't you?

Your soul count for summoning, is it your total amount of souls you have collected throughout the game, or throughout pvp or the current number of souls you hold?

Jobbs

Banned
What's the limitation aorund being invaded? In other words, what's to stop someone from just being relentlessly invaded over and over and never able to progress thorugh the game until they unplug the internet cord?

Raide

At least you don't have to wait until April 25th

This.

Will be interesting to see the PC tweaks that get done and how it performs. I was late for Dark Souls and got it on the PC later and never looked back. Will get the PC version and see how it goes!

No, last game NG+ was pretty pointless, I did it once, it's pretty much just values are higher on enemies and.. that's it.

Nope, only stronger and more aggressive enemies.

Well there is the Dark Path ending, and black phantom enemies, but other than that, no. No new loot, just harder enemies.

Thanks. I never got around to trying them again since the first playthrough was arduous at times haha

oroboros

One thing I had wished for was selectable difficulties. Not much of a fan of the forced higher modes upon clearing the game. One of my biggest gripes with the Souls series has been how pointless equipment has felt on new game+ cycles. Every time I ran Demon's Souls I would dress as lightly as possible and stay in hyper mode because of how much fucking damage you take on higher cycles. They sort of fixed that shit with poise in Dark Souls, but I still feel like you're getting decimated by shit even with some of the best armor. Equipment has always felt more like costumes instead of actual, you know, protective armor.

I've had numerous arguments with a buddy of mine over this and he continues to bring up the fact that Souls is more about player skill and that you shouldn't be able to "get by" with good armor. I somewhat agree, but I believe there's a middle ground that From hasn't found yet with this series regarding equipment. I'm in the camp that believes that the looks of an enemy (their size, what they're physically wielding, etc) should play a role into how powerful they are. I find it really dumb that a grunt zombie can almost kill me nearly as fast as the gaping dragon when the dragon is like 10X the size of that zombie. Stuff like drives me nuts in RPGs.

I think they have somewhat addressed this if you spend points into adaptability / resistance since I believe armor scales with it now. I saw a video of some guy who raised it up and the trash mobs do like no damage to you anymore. Those grunts should still be a threat at some point though or whats the use of even having them. If you mess up your spacing and timing I don't see why a grunt shouldn't be able to kill you fast as anything else, especially when your'e low level or haven't upgraded your armor or defense stats.

PvP focused spoilers from this link

Besides The arena "The Blue Sentinels and Brotherhood of Blood will actually have statues they can pray to that will begin a duel with other members of their covenants and can rank up this way as well."

It seems they want to give PvP focused players more ways to duel one another without having them invade random peoples games over and over and possibly frustrating them. depending on how much use these things get(hopefully more than Dark Souls arena) it could actually be pretty cool.

Brohan

That it continues to make your player pool smaller and smaller every single day? Also I don't think an experienced PvP player at level 100 is griefing another level 100 player. The gear you have at that level should be good enough to take on any level 100.

There are plenty of pvpers and more than enough pve people that do ng+(++++) and we don't even know the amount of souls awarded for player kills versus souls awarded for monster kills.

So i think it's way too early to draw any conclusions.

Yuterald

I think they have somewhat addressed this if you spend points into adaptability / resistance since I believe armor scales with it now. I saw a video of some guy who raised it up and the trash mobs do like no damage to you anymore. Those grunts should still be a threat at some point though or whats the use of even having them. If you mess up your spacing and timing I don't see why a grunt shouldn't be able to kill you fast as anything else, especially when your'e low level or haven't upgraded your armor or defense stats.

Hmm, I'll see it when I play it then. Yeah, my problem was the fact that I was wearing Havel armor (or Dark Knight set, maxed out, maybe?) and grunt enemies were still taking me out quick. Those guys should be doing NOTHING to me at that point.

Sanctuary

Did you happen to watch the before and after, side by side video comparison? There's plenty of areas that actually look almost that bad. That initial grey, low poly, zero lighting room at the start just screamed King's Field, but not in a good way.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...om/watch?v=qbBwp8MB5js&start2=350&authorName=

krakov

Hmm, I'll see it when I play it then. Yeah, my problem was the fact that I was wearing Havel armor (or Dark Knight set, maxed out, maybe?) and grunt enemies were still taking me out quick. Those guys should be doing NOTHING to me at that point.

They don't, unless you're in NG+ (or further) which basically throws PvE balance out the window to change things up (in a cheap and simple way). You want armor that is so powerful it would break any semblance of balance. Funny thing is, a lot of people use such armor (modded) these days.

Shinjica

PvP focused spoilers from this link

Besides The arena "The Blue Sentinels and Brotherhood of Blood will actually have statues they can pray to that will begin a duel with other members of their covenants and can rank up this way as well."

It seems they want to give PvP focused players more ways to duel one another without having them invade random peoples games over and over and possibly frustrating them. depending on how much use these things get(hopefully more than Dark Souls arena) it could actually be pretty cool.

Poor people getting invaded :)

Jobbs

Banned
My concept of a character is becoming someone who wears little or no armor and uses one handed weapons and a bow. str/dex. no bulky armor this time. I love them flowy cloths. I'll out-wile you or die trying. *maybe* dabble in faith if it seems to work out once I'm playing.

Bandit seems to fit my concept very well.

banditfemale.gif

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
from http://fextralife.com/back-breaking-dark-souls-ii-news/#

Will there be future patches after release for balancing issues and updates? (asked by DarkSeven)

“No, I don’t think so. In Dark Souls II we spent a lot of time… We tried to develop without considering patches.” (Cas note: I learned from QA Tester that the game will instead be “calibrated” server-side.)

Really happy to know that they didn't have the mind set of "we'll patch it later"

Curious_George

Neo Member

That sounds rather boring to me. I personally like how in the Souls games that it's not like some traditional rpgs where your character eventually becomes nearly invincible to standard mobs. There is definitely an improvement in defenses with better armor, but it's not a guarantee you won't die to even "trash" mobs. I think that allows for there to always be a sense of danger in the game, even when backtracking through earlier areas.

ironcreed

Banned

Mupod

Well, after reading the mechanics section there's only one more covenant I need to know about now:
Has anything been found about the Abyss covenant yet? I heard Ken ran across the NPC but he was turned away, probably because of a lack of a certain stat.

It's very hard to look for specific information about this game because everywhere else other than this OT is just dozens of people freaking out parroting whatever they see on streams.

Hypron

That sounds rather boring to me. I personally like how in the Souls games that it's not like some traditional rpgs where your character eventually becomes nearly invincible to standard mobs. There is definitely an improvement in defenses with better armor, but it's not a guarantee you won't die to even "trash" mobs. I think that allows for there to always be a sense of danger in the game, even when backtracking through earlier areas.

Totally agree with that. And actually, in NG if you're wearing Havel's or the Giant armor and have a decent amount of health normal undeads do almost no damage to you. On NG+ you'll get hit harder but there's still a big difference between wearing a heavy armor and not wearing anything at all. I like that the difficulty increases after NG, the game would get really boring if it didn't. I like games where NG+ is about more than just letting you steamroll through everything.

So I finally figured out how to do a no bonfire run. I can see the invading becoming really annoying now since every time I die I will be respawning at the starting area.

Kieli

#team-Namdai-believes-the-reviews-might-be-too-good-so-they-embargo-it-to-release-date-rather-than-use-it-as-marketing-because-they-are-afraid-that-fans-might-be-too-hyped-and-injure-themselves

Yuterald

There's a balance to it all that I feel hasn't been achieved yet. To be more specific, it's new game+ cycles that usually diminishes the usefulness of equipment. First time runs of both games feel properly tuned/balanced. It's when you play on the higher cycles when armor becomes trivialized, in my opinion. I mentioned earlier that there are ways to impose danger rather than simply scaling low enemies/increasing statistical values. The Souls games do all of this to some degree, but I feel like they cater more to the action side (which I don't really have a problem with because I loved character based action games). The thing is, they're still very much RPGs with stats, level ups and armor. I feel like they're trying to "do it all", so to speak, but they haven't done either side perfectly yet.

The game should be tailored/balanced to accommodate all play styles. I think if I wanted to tank and take hits, I should be able to withstand quite a few blows, especially when wearing super heavy physical resistant equipment. I worked and suffered to get that equipment, I should be rewarded, not punished. That just isn't usually the case (again, especially on new game+ cycles) and I find that disappointing and frustrating. The game should offer post game challenges in different ways, not by arbitrarily increasing base values. I want SOME sense of reward/power after my 100+ hour investment and between both games I've never received it.

daedalius

Anyone posted this already? saw it on reddit

- Summoning range will be determined by a combination of 2 factors: The player’s summoning range and the amount of souls acquired by that player’s character. This means that as you obtain more and more souls your summoning range will increase. If you like to hang out at low levels and gank people, eventually over time, you will be forced out of this summoning range into a higher one where this won’t be possible. This is to try and alleviate some of the ganking of new players.

- NG+ got a HUGE overhaul. Now there are new enemies, harder enemies and new loot in NG+. This is to reward the player for continuing on and extend the longevity of the game. From what I understand the game assumes you know how to play from the very beginning and punishes you throughout. NG++ and up don’t add anything new, only harder difficulty. Another important thing to note is that players in NG+ will NOT be able to play with players who have not reached NG+ or above. As far as I can tell this was done to prevent the use of the more powerful gear obtained in NG+

New enemies and loot in ng+ sounds amazing

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
it's over, it's all over

first I'm killing myself, then I'm killing my parakeet so he doesn't have to live in a world where dark souls 2 sucks
Are you guys going to be okay?
FROM really increased the difficulty in this one,now people get mad by just looking at the game.
Hahahahaha

- Summoning range will be determined by a combination of 2 factors: The player’s summoning range and the amount of souls acquired by that player’s character. This means that as you obtain more and more souls your summoning range will increase. If you like to hang out at low levels and gank people, eventually over time, you will be forced out of this summoning range into a higher one where this won’t be possible. This is to try and alleviate some of the ganking of new players.
Interesting. I'm not sure about the souls thing though. If I accumulate millions of souls by PvP and suicide and purposefully drop my bloodstain, does that affect summoning range? If it's souls accumulated over time (even if lost from a bloodstain etc.), what about people who just farm a lot or get lots of souls from coop?
(Rhetorical questions btw, don't expect you to really know ^^)

- NG+ got a HUGE overhaul. Now there are new enemies, harder enemies and new loot in NG+.
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET
One of the reasons I rarely bothered with NG+ is that the increased difficulty was never much of a big deal to me, because you'd get OP anyway and much better at the game. This is a total gamechanger. Awesome.

Another important thing to note is that players in NG+ will NOT be able to play with players who have not reached NG+ or above. As far as I can tell this was done to prevent the use of the more powerful gear obtained in NG+
More great news!

This sucks. Really cuts down the number of players for PvP and the gear one can use for it. If that means to have optimal gear you are forced to go into NG+ with every PvP character I just find the change stupid as hell.
Sorry, no more ganking for you!

Agreed. I always lol when I just superbly, skillfully defeated a boss with hardly an estus used, and then get sloppy and die to trash mobs quickly after. DARK SOULS

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
That random twitter message from whoever did it made my day. Wishing me death and all. Serious business in here excuse me.
KuGsj.gif

I was torn between Swordsman or Warrior/Knight. After watching 300:Rise of an Empire, I have decided to go with Swordsman and watching some previous network test build Swordsman gameplay.

If you have seen the first one then you already watched the second one

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I didn't gank. PvP players tend to choose a designated SL to stay at invade(100-125).
I'm aware. But in Demon's Souls you needed to go to NG+ to get the red soul sign anyway
until the trick to drop the undroppable items showed up like years later in the meta-game
. This is no different.

Sanctuary

Those NG+ features look great. I never really bothered with NG+ that much after hitting NG+++++ once, and I had a habit of constantly starting over once I'd hit SL 86.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom