• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Another thing about the ENB: Can you completely disable the chromatic aberration I've seen in some pics? I really don't like it.

Yep you can!

Everyone is entitled to a preference, but sweetfx is a post process effect and not the same as an ENB.

SweetFX is like watching a TV show and playing with your contrast and brightness settings on your TV, while an ENB is like contacting the TV studio and getting them to turn a light off on the set.

The ENB removed or dimmed ambient light levels and adjusted the fire light sources. It didn't crush blacks, if anything you're crushing blacks playing with sweetfx contrast settings.

http://youtu.be/0VJcIOmO0vw

Great work with your ENB bud, I've been using it and just tweaking on top of it, it's pretty killer.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can you still block with one of the weapons? Or is L2 just left handed power attack?
Common practice for games with story-related achievements.
Some weapons can block, not all.
L2 is left-hand strong attack, but almost every weapon I've tried can block when two-handed, either with L2 (for right-hand weapon) or R2 (for left-hand weapon). Obviously 2H a left-hand weapon is not possible if you qualify for power stance. I made a big post on the new dual-wielding controls if interested.

eot

Banned
Covetous Demon
Apparently, you can shoot down the pots that are hanging from the roof and he'll eat them and completely ignore you. Kinda neat, but it's not like that fight needed to be easier.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Fashion Souls
my monarch
zCw09Su.jpg

82V6vin.jpg

Mirrah Greatsword is an excellent weapon*, goes well with
the Dark Weapon buff

Thanks guys! I knew to
pull the lever to make the chariot crash, but didn't realize the necromancers were tied to the skeletons respawning. Which is really dumb of me, because I have 400 hours of DS1, so I should have realized that after all the time killing the ones in the Catacombs...oh well.

I will give it another shot this afternoon.

There is an even easier way too.

Get a bow. Enter the room, sprint to the first necromancer, kill him, and dont go ANY further. At all. Run back to the entrance and pick an alcove you can get a good look at when hes coming. No more skeletons will spawn, and the chariot will circle you over and over. Just keep firing arrows. Eventually, the chariot will stop coming around. At like 30% health. Run to where the lever is, kill all the necromancers and skeletons along the way, knowing that the chariot wont come around again. Youll see the horse at the farrrrr end of the hallway like halfway down a hole. I fired a single arrow, VICTORY ACHIEVED.

BadWolf

The Faraam set is a bet heavier but ive been using that

Alva set is good though

The Alva set you mentioned is pretty good I also like the Royal Soldier and Llewellyn sets.

If you prefer something a tad heavier you can do no worse than Alonne knight or Captain sets.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The Alonne Knight set is what I have right now. Is it worth sticking to or are Alva, Llewellyn or Faraam a step up from it?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The Alonne Knight set is what I have right now. Is it worth sticking to or are Alva, Llewellyn or Faraam a step up from it?

I've mainly been using the Alva set in my new NG run. But in my NG++++ I mostly stuck with the Creighton Chainmail set. Pretty good defense on that one, and pretty light, too.

I am rocking the Faraam Set for now. Not the greatest defense to weight ratio, but i like the look. Alva is a great light armor set if you are lower on vitality.

Personally, i am pushing to go Mad Warrior, but need some more Twinkling for upgrades before it is worth it.

garath

Any good assassin looking sets? I kind of envisioned this playthrough as a dual wield dagger assassin type. Light on defense, high on agility, rolling for the backstabs. Unfortunately the daggers don't seem to be very good in PVE.

Ferrio

Banned
Any good assassin looking sets? I kind of envisioned this playthrough as a dual wield dagger assassin type. Light on defense, high on agility, rolling for the backstabs. Unfortunately the daggers don't seem to be very good in PVE.

Go caestus instead, punch up fools!

Interesting discovery from awhile back. In the Heide's Tower of Flame, you can pretty much take out the Dragonrider before the fight even begins. Kill the first two Sentinel guys, as well as the third that's stationed right at the beginning of the narrow path that leads into that building area. When you're halfway down that path, look to the right and you should see the Dragonrider just chilling there in his little nook. If you've got a bow and quite a few arrows, just pummel him from a distance.

If you enter the fight with him, his health will be depleted equal to the amount of damage you did with the arrows. Didn't have the patience to keep attacking from a distance to see if you could actually take him out from there, though.

Backstabs make daggers OK, otherwise I can't find a use for them.

For a striking light armor set, I'd go with the Llewellyn chest as a base and whatever helm/hands/legs you desire. Since it's black it works with a lot of rogue/assassin-y pieces.

Grief.exe

Interesting discovery from awhile back. In the Heide's Tower of Flame, you can pretty much take out the Dragonrider before the fight even begins. Kill the first two Sentinel guys, as well as the third that's stationed right at the beginning of the narrow path that leads into that building area. When you're halfway down that path, look to the right and you should see the Dragonrider just chilling there in his little nook. If you've got a bow and quite a few arrows, just pummel him from a distance.

If you enter the fight with him, his health will be depleted equal to the amount of damage you did with the arrows. Didn't have the patience to keep attacking from a distance to see if you could actually take him out from there, though.

You could do the same with Manus in DS1 if you were so inclined.

aravuus

Okay, str/fth is pretty goddamn awesome. Still going with the starting gear and I'm wrecking shit even in no man's wharf and beyond.

Wish I'd see more summon signs tho, it's a lot more fun with other people.

Mistel

Banned
Shadow set, Rouge set, Mankin (plus or minus the mask) and maybe the Dark set for heavier armor.
Excellent, less to upgrade hehe.
Try the Helm and legs as Alonne and the rest Alva it looks good nearly as nice as all Alonne minus the torso.

I summoned a player for the first time and WOW it feels like cheating :(
Any benefits for not summoning other players?

Main benefit is being a better player who doesn't rely on others to do all the heavy lifting. I can't count how many times I get summoned for Ruin Sentinels or Smelter, the other player stays back and spams spells, and eventually they catch aggro and have no idea how to dodge or block the boss.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
ENB crashes when loading via bonfire so can't really use it. Turns out, if I turn the affinity to just my first two cores it doesn't crash but the performance is noticeably worse.

Unfortunately, it seems Boris doesn't like DS2 very much and isn't keen on continuing to figure out why the crashes happen.

Who the fuck is Boris?

the guy who develops ENB

He's kind of an asshole.

And he rage quit DkS2... why, exactly?

You dudes should chill on Boris. If you go to the thread you'd see his explanation for why.

Folks, i have very long continuing problems in the life and they make me depressed and nervious. Working/playing this game simply makes me mad very fast. It's just not for me or not for my current state. Even key binding is done by idiots or/and to make gameplay much harder. I don't want to attach gamepad, but guess right and left directional and action keys swapped for greater experience.

He's going through some rough times, and Dark Souls (especially for beginners) can be really frustrating. I'm a souls veteran, played through DeS and DaS all the way through and I had a hell of a time getting from the first forest bonfire to the next. All my stuff broke, and I didn't have any weapons to get through so I had to end up sprinting past.

We've all had our rage quit moments, and especially if he's having a tough time outside of the game, having a game frustrate you as much as Dark Souls can is difficult.

On top of that, he's playing with mouse and keyboard! I have remorse for everyone stuck playing the game that way!

Does anyone know if the spirits/ghosts/whatever (other players that you cannot interact with) that sometimes phase into existence while playing online are:

a) happening in real time?
b) affected by Soul Memory?

Because it just occurred to me how mundane a lot of them are. I'm surprised to say the most common mask I see on them, for example, is either nothing or the Manikin mask. I sorta thought everyone would be rocking full late-game armour all the time... Or stuff like the Death Set's helmet.

Also, I can't blame Boris for hating Dark Souls 2's keyboard/mouse controls. Admittedly, I haven't used them much, but the control scheme seems ill-conceived at best.

Abdozer

Anyone recommend where to put my souls in next? I'm a melee build right now on NG and I just got the
King's Ring
. Using Gwyn's Great Hammer +7 but I also use the Greatsword a lot.

SL 123 (A bit overleveled I know lol)

VGR: 26
END: 25
VIT: 25
ATN: 7
STR: 40
DEX: 18
ADP: 25
INT: 5
FTH: 5

Should I just keep leveling up my weapons?

You dudes should chill on Boris. If you go to the thread you'd see his explanation for why.

Just to clarify, I can understand where he's coming from and it wasn't really my intent on bashing him. DS1 on PC was my first contact with the Souls series and I was extremely frustrated with the game to the point that I stopped playing while I was still in Undead Burg. I thought it had so many obsolete bullshit, outdated mechanics etc. and thought it wasn't worth wasting my nerves on it.

Went back to it months later and I was so completely hooked that it became one of my favorite games ever. I'm almost 120 hours in DS2 and still liking it very much.

Boris' ENB Series is an awesome piece of software and I'm glad it even exists.

Sullichin

Went a little hollow in PVP after respeccing my 50STR build to use the Black Knight Greataxe. I know, I know, it sucks. But I didn't think it would be that bad. The main problem is that there is a very small "sweet spot" you need to connect with to get full damage. You could hit a dog with the blade of the axe and one shot it for 650+ damage, or hit it slightly closer to the pole and only get like 300 damage. I wouldn't mind it if the difference wasn't that great and if it wasn't so hard to land a hit with this thing in the first place in PVP. The lead time on swings is slow, its poise damage is beaten by many other STR weapons, it eats up stamina, it's heavy, requires too much stat investment and the scaling isn't great.

Brought my character to 160 to try to make that work (because of the additional stat investment needed; I was barely getting by at SL150 with less VGR,STR, and ADP than I had before).

But after about an hour and 2-3 wins (tons of losses) I conceded that I didn't like this build at all and I sought out another soul vessel.

... Now I have 60VGR, Fire Malformed Club+10 and flame weapon. It's so much better than the BKGA it's depressing. Better poise damage, can be imbued, can be buffed, much lower stat requirements, much better base damage (that completely nullifies BKGA's shit scaling bonus), better moveset for PVP, much lighter. The only caveat is that I need bracing knuckle ring+2, because the durability is so bad that it would break in mid fight, but it's light enough that I don't need royal soldier's ring+2 anymore to keep under 50%, so that's fine.

Still keeping 50STR for when I want to use my other favorite STR weapons. But... comparing malformed skull to Grym Greataxe (one of my favorite weapons in the game) is depressing too.

Mistel

Banned
Take some pictures too I want to see please if you wouldn't mind.
Still keeping 50STR for when I want to use my other favorite STR weapons. But... comparing malformed skull to Grym Greataxe (one of my favorite weapons in the game) is depressing too.
Instead of the Grym great axe why not use the Gyrm axe? It has better scaling, higher damage, and the same moveset as the great axe but is a bit shorter and is a bit lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom