• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Lord have mercy...I get invaded by Gray Spirits every few minutes in Belfry Luna. Once invaded by two damn spirits at the same time who both chopped me down in seconds. C'mon now..
You're never going to believe this, but Belfry Luna is a completely optional PVP deathmatch area.

If the area has Belfry in the name, it's a PVP arena, ENTER AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh wow. I just noticed that Steam achievement lists don't show ALL the hidden achievements. I wonder if that's a bug or a new thing for the Steam client. Eesh. Not knowing what you're missing from the achievement list. :/ Thanks, From? :/

Newboi

You can get the Zwei and the Pursuer early on in the game both are effective.

Don't you have to use a Fragrant Branch of Yore to de-petrify that one mage guy in the Lost Bastille for him to make the weapon? The Zweihander is in a upper-mid level area right?

The Greatsword is in No-Man's Wharf which is a low level area that's towards the beginning of the game (passing Hiede's Tower of Flame).

I was originally under the impression that the user just started the game.

HoosTrax

Don't you have to use a Fragrant Branch of Yore to de-petrify that one mage guy in the Lost Bastille for him to make the weapon? The Zweihander is in a upper-mid level area.

The Greatsword is in No-Man's Wharf which is a low level area that's towards the beginning of the game (passing Hiede's Tower of Flame).

I was originally under the impression that the user just started the game.
Zweihanders drop from spiders as well; the one at Iron Keep isn't the only one you can obtain. Actually those spiders drop quite an interesting variety of uncommon weapons, including Mastodon weapons and Ricard's Rapiers as well.

ENB crashes when loading via bonfire so can't really use it. Turns out, if I turn the affinity to just my first two cores it doesn't crash but the performance is noticeably worse.

Unfortunately, it seems Boris doesn't like DS2 very much and isn't keen on continuing to figure out why the crashes happen.

garath

Do you get enough titanite to experiment with different weapons? I now have 4 weapons up to +3 with the titanite shards and am completely out of shards. I want to try the greatsword (all this talk of it reminded me) but I haven't felt like any one weapon is the one I should invest in greater than +3 yet.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Who the fuck is Boris?

BadWolf

Do you get enough titanite to experiment with different weapons? I now have 4 weapons up to +3 with the titanite shards and am completely out of shards. I want to try the greatsword (all this talk of it reminded me) but I haven't felt like any one weapon is the one I should invest in greater than +3 yet.

Yeah, there are places to grind and merchants will sell plenty of various one's later.

ENB crashes when loading via bonfire so can't really use it. Turns out, if I turn the affinity to just my first two cores it doesn't crash but the performance is noticeably worse.

Unfortunately, it seems Boris doesn't like DS2 very much and isn't keen on continuing to figure out why the crashes happen.

What does "loading via bonfire" mean? Im using ENB and I havent crashed at all in 5 hours.

Who the fuck is Boris?

ENB creator.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And he rage quit DkS2... why, exactly?

Booshka

Yes, as you progress, Large Shards and eventually Chunks become easily attainable. Don't worry about pushing things past +3, get them to +6 if you like them. Until much later in the game, Chunks are something to be used sparingly though, unless you are filthy BellBro putting in work.

garath

Yeah, there are places to grind and merchants will sell plenty of various one's later.

Yes, as you progress, Large Shards and eventually Chunks become easily attainable. Don't worry about pushing things past +3, get them to +6 if you like them. Until much later in the game, Chunks are something to be used sparingly though, unless you are filthy BellBro putting in work.

Ok. Cool. Conserve chunks but go for it on other kinds for now. Thanks :)

Yoshichan

I think he was trying to replicate an issue with ENB and he really just hates the game lol, he complains pretty loudly about the weird "soul mechanic" and how his weapon breaks so fast.

"Ok".

I am the king of hyperbole and that is one HELLUVA hyperbole. DKS2 is fucking fantastic and the game that DkS(1) should've been.

elfinke

Zweihanders drop from spiders as well; the one at Iron Keep isn't the only one you can obtain. Actually those spiders drop quite an interesting variety of uncommon weapons, including Mastodon weapons and Ricard's Rapiers as well.

Trudging through those spiders is really great fun for that very reason. It's like they're piñatas: full of interesting weapons from felled adventurers before me.

What does "loading via bonfire" mean? Im using ENB and I havent crashed at all in 5 hours.

Sorry, had a brain fart there. I mean every time I use the bonfire to travel to a different area the game crashes when using any ENB mod. It's a known problem for a lot of people but then again lots of players have no such issues with ENB and DS2. The creator of ENB did a bunch of testing on it but can't figure out why this happens.

Sorry, had a brain fart there. I mean every time I use the bonfire to travel to a different area the game crashes when using any ENB mod. It's a known problem for a lot of people but then again lots of players have no such issues with ENB and DS2. The creator of ENB did a bunch of testing on it but can't figure out why this happens.

Oh I see, wow I guess im lucky it doesnt happen to me then, so he has no idea why it just breaks for some people?

What GPU do you have?

Booshka

"Ok".

I am the king of hyperbole and that is one HELLUVA hyperbole. DKS2 is fucking fantastic and the game that DkS(1) should've been.

I wish I liked DkS2 as much as you do. I put in about 300 hours into it and I am kinda done with it until I see some major patches and updates to the game.

Grief.exe

Sorry, i can't play this shit, 260 souls all i got and can't continue any more as sword is broken after killing few mobs. I rather drop this game instead of doing something for thing i hate. Use Durante mod or SweetFX, i'm sick of low quality bullshit which is equal or below indie games. You like it? Fine, just keep it for yourself, i'm not that blind and not mazohist. No more development, that's enough.

iKsVrkxTDmxGC.gif

Oh I see, wow I guess im lucky it doesnt happen to me then, so he has no idea why it just breaks for some people?

What GPU do you have?

Yeah, he did quite a few tests with some of the ENB forum members but he can't pinpoint the problem and as it turns out, probably won't go into it any time soon.

I have a 6870, so it's a bit dated. I'm wondering if there's something in the DS2 code related to the framerate that conflicts with ENB, similar to the durability bug. The vanilla game works on constant 60 FPS with my GPU (except walking though fog gates and using bonfires) but ENB almost halves down the framerate. Then again, maybe the 1GB GDDR5 just doesn't cut it in this case, although I've played Skyrim on the same GPU with a lower framerate and no crashes.

I appreciate the tips! Good stuff. I think I'll focus on Sinner's rise. Melee has been a little rough this game. I feel like I might be working harder than spellcasters in a lot of ways. Especially since I'm dual wielding and relying on high AGI and low equipment load and skill dodging. :)

Dual wielding is pretty advanced IMO. If you are struggling with it, beef up the armor and try to tank and spank until you get the hand of it. I find myself getting hit way less now than I did in the beginning of the game.

You can get the Zwei and the Pursuer early on in the game both are effective.

I second this. I like the Zwei moveset better than the Pursuer right now, that may change when I pump up the Pursuer sword though.

Oh wow. I just noticed that Steam achievement lists don't show ALL the hidden achievements. I wonder if that's a bug or a new thing for the Steam client. Eesh. Not knowing what you're missing from the achievement list. :/ Thanks, From? :/

That's actually pretty common. Some games hide achievements that are tied to plot points to avoid spoiling things.

Grief.exe

Dual wielding is pretty advanced IMO. If you are struggling with it, beef up the armor and try to tank and spank until you get the hand of it. I find myself getting hit way less now than I did in the beginning of the game.

Can you still block with one of the weapons? Or is L2 just left handed power attack?

Click Show Global

Common practice for games with story-related achievements.

Yeah, he did quite a few tests with some of the ENB forum members but he can't pinpoint the problem and as it turns out, probably won't go into it any time soon.

I have a 6870, so it's a bit dated. I'm wondering if there's something in the DS2 code related to the framerate that conflicts with ENB, similar to the durability bug. The vanilla game works on constant 60 FPS with my GPU (except walking though fog gates and using bonfires) but ENB almost halves down the framerate. Then again, maybe the 1GB GDDR5 just doesn't cut it in this case, although I've played Skyrim on the same GPU with a lower framerate and no crashes.

ENB has the same effect for me, my game runs at 30fps when ENB is activated, yet the game doesnt crash, im using a more modern GPU than you though, an AMD 7970, I am running the game at 5760 * 1200 using a Widescreen Fixer program to force Triple screen FOV, and on top of that, im running a utility to overclock the videocard to try to get a few FPS out of it.

The only thing that crashes my DS2 is using D3DOverrider on top of all of the above.

Anyone have tips for the
Giant lord? I get right under his legs, specifically his left, but he still hits me with EVERY attack. Not the foot stomp, thats easily telegraphed. But everything else almost.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Anyone have tips for the
Giant lord? I get right under his legs, specifically his left, but he still hits me with EVERY attack. Not the foot stomp, thats easily telegraphed. But everything else almost.

You gotta be slightly behind him, not directly underneath.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I think Shrine of Amana is my favorite area in the game. The place is gorgeous. Wading through the water with a lit torch - stunning. It's fairly linear, I suppose, but quite fun to run through as a melee player. Scoping out each section and formulating a plan, dashing between spots of cover, rolling through the homing spells, and finally delivering a death blow to each sorceress in turn ... exciting stuff.

Stet

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if a boss did that.

(I've had some summon icons for the player's avatar look all jumbled up before (i.e. no avatar, but instead weapon textures(?)), I wonder if the issues are related...)

True story, last night I was playing Aldia's Keep and enemies were
busting out of mirrors
while dinosaur bones were
trying to kill me
and at some point I lost almost all control of my character. He started chugging Estus like crazy, running backward unless I held forward, rolling in random directions and generally doing nothing I told him to do. I looked at my 360 controller and the battery was fine, so, exasperated, I actually said, "Jesus Christ, what is the game trying to do to fuck with me now!?"

My cat was lying on the keyboard.

I think Shrine of Amana is my favorite area in the game. The place is gorgeous. Wading through the water with a lit torch - stunning. It's fairly linear, I suppose, but quite fun to run through as a melee player. Scoping out each section and formulating a plan, dashing between spots of cover, rolling through the homing spells, and finally delivering a death blow to each sorceress in turn ... exciting stuff.

Really like that area.

Died a lot in that area.

I hate that area.

Newboi

I've been playing through this game at a snails pace, but I've gotten through the Iron Keep. I think I'll sit there for a long while and help other players beat the Old Iron King. You get a boat load of souls for beating him in coop.

Has anyone here used the Crypt Black Sword? I'm thinking of using a bonfire ascetic to strengthen the second black Gulch bonfire and fight the Rotten Again.

I hear it's a pretty terrible PvP weapon, but utterly broken in PvE encounters. I mainly care about PvE with my current character.

True story, last night I was playing Aldia's Keep and enemies were
busting out of mirrors
while dinosaur bones were
trying to kill me
and at some point I lost almost all control of my character. He started chugging Estus like crazy, running backward unless I held forward, rolling in random directions and generally doing nothing I told him to do. I looked at my 360 controller and the battery was fine, so, exasperated, I actually said, "Jesus Christ, what is the game trying to do to fuck with me now!?"

My cat was lying on the keyboard.

Does your cat talk? It would explain a lot, actually.

Yoshichan

Why do so many people think that they scrapped the PvP-idea of Mirror Knight? It's there, active in the game.

Any tips for the Executioner's Chariot? Having some trouble with it. From, please cut it out with boss fights in DS2 that have lots of additional enemy hordes to fight. That's almost never fun.

Stet

Banned
Any tips for the Executioner's Chariot? Having some trouble with it. From, please cut it out with boss fights in DS2 that have lots of additional enemy hordes to fight. That's almost never fun.

Run to the end. Let the chariot run over the skeletons. Kill the necromancer before you do anything else.

Guide for 100% completion (Executioner's Chariot)
Kill
the necromancers to stop the skeletons from reviving.
Avoid
the chariot by hiding in those little alcoves on the sides of the wall.
Use
the gate lever to briefly stun the chariot. This may need to be timed correctly, I don't know for sure.

BadWolf

Gun it towards the 2 Necromancers as fast as possible and take them out.

No need to hide in the indentations from the chariot, you can just run at the side and roll through the chariot blades. This way you can keep moving quickly and it will be difficult for the skeletons to catch up.

Take out the second Necromancer and run all the way till the end where there is a break in the road and stand at the edge. The edge kind of kneels down so the chariot boss can't hit you at all if you stand by the edge at the side. Take this time to heal up and take out any remaining skeletons (the chariot will take out most of them).

Then when you are ready pull the switch and finish the fight with the horse.

Thanks guys! I knew to
pull the lever to make the chariot crash, but didn't realize the necromancers were tied to the skeletons respawning. Which is really dumb of me, because I have 400 hours of DS1, so I should have realized that after all the time killing the ones in the Catacombs...oh well.

I will give it another shot this afternoon.

Overdoziz

Banned
Who thought it'd be a good idea to give Jabba's tail weightless physics? It flails around and gets stuck all the time. It's an easy boss, but it's still a weird thing to do.

Who thought it'd be a good idea to give Jabba's tail weightless physics? It flails around and gets stuck all the time. It's an easy boss, but it's still a weird thing to do.

Weightless physics are a Souls game staple, which is why Dark Souls 2's crumbling corpses are a step back.

#freetheragdoll

UrbanRats

Lovely as usual.

I loved to play my first playthrough with ENB (Wickfut's) but now i reverted back to GeDoSaTo for my second one.
It lacks some cool effects, but it's a bit more coherent visually (meaning i don't have to turn it off and on every once in a while).

Ok, so Dragnelic castle is pretty awesome level design wise.

So the travel screen has now started showing all bonfires I have missed or not yet visited, whats up with that? Just noticed it today and pretty sure it wasn't like that before.

Weightless physics are a Souls game staple, which is why Dark Souls 2's crumbling corpses are a step back.

#freetheragdoll

Sometimes the ragdoll freaks me out. I thought there were more spiders lurking...turned out it was a dead one just flopping around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom