• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I have a question about (minor equipment spoiler)
the NPC Phantom which drops the Dingy set
. Could it be that it only appears in a "real" NG+, and not if you just use an Ascetic? Anyone know?

Leezard

Well yeah, you mean Licia, who RedSwirl is just having stand by the mechanism uselessly. That's the only way to get to Huntsman's Copse I knew of, at least that early on.

I thought Leezard meant there was actually a path to Huntsman's Copse from Heide's.

Yeah, I get what you mean now. I cleared No Man's Wharf and much of the Lost Bastille before heading into Hunstman's Copse but on doing so I found that it seemed like it was really meant to be tackled quite early.

Yeah I think it's easier than Lost Bastille at least.

Royal Sorcerer Navlaan
in
Aldia's keep. If you let him out while human he'll sell you stuff, but then he'll start invading you. If you speak with him while in hollow form you can get assassination quests from him
Well, shit. I totally did that--and one of the rare times I'm human, too :( No quests for me, then.

Mistel

Banned
Er that's the same way
KuGsj.gif
I meant way as in path, not method, hehe.
Method matters as much as the path no?
I actually meant Grym Greathammer. Not sure why I said axe. My favorite Axe is by far the Lion Greataxe.
I'm more partial to the drake keepers great axe myself. Shame the black knight one is not that great really.
There's no negative repercussions for leaving covenants in this game, right?
None at all.

neoism

man when you have a really good play session with this game it feel soo fucking good... done with the iron keep and lost over 70k souls but still feels soo good SD only took two tries <3 <3

RedSwirl

By the way, I have done no covenants. Haven't seen a reason for it yet.

I think I'll just continue through the Shaded Woods for now and see where it leads.

Levito

Banned
None at all.

Well that's awesome to hear, thanks!

I spent about an hour and a half trying to beat the Belfry Gargoyles. Boss killed me about 4 times, doesn't seem too hard, my trouble though is I keep getting in PVP battles befor the fight since I'm in another covenant. Uses up resources and whatnot.

Mistel

Banned
I spent about an hour and a half trying to beat the Belfry Gargoyles. Boss killed me about 4 times, doesn't seem too hard, my trouble though is I keep getting in PVP battles befor the fight since I'm in another covenant. Uses up resources and whatnot.
You would get invaded whilst being a bell keeper yourself.
By the way, I have done no covenants. Haven't seen a reason for it yet.
Not even for merchant's such as Targray?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit,
Freja

ZE SWORD AND MAGICKZ, DEY DO NOTZING.

WHY. D:

Come on From, way too may bosses with enemy hordes to deal with. =( I almost never find that fun.

Today I
beat the Executioner's Chariot, the Royal Rat Authority, and have started the spider boss. The first two were a huge pain for me, and the spider one looks like it may be as well. Guess we'll see. The Royal Rat Authority, for instance, would have been a fine boss without the stupid baby rats that can give you toxic. It's interesting because it "feels" like Sif, but the attacks seem timed to trip up a DS1 veteran almost. They're just different enough from Sif's. But then the little baby rats just make the fight a pain.

I've pretty much liked all of the bosses that DON'T have the swarms of enemies to deal with.

TheSeks

Well, shit.

What does ringing the bell at the top do by the way? I managed to ring it on my last attempt.

Open the gate on the SECOND floor where the ladder to the bell ringing is. Opens up the Boss gate.

Further spoiler:
After beating the boss quickly reach the bonfire. You can still be invaded. Even at the Bonfire. Go down a ladder and get the Bastille key and GTFO quickly

Terrible area.

Levito

Banned
Open the gate on the SECOND floor where the ladder to the bell ringing is. Opens up the Boss gate.

Further spoiler:
After beating the boss quickly reach the bonfire. You can still be invaded. Even at the Bonfire. Go down a ladder and get the Bastille key and GTFO quickly

Terrible area.

I guess that couldn't have been my final attempt then, I thought the gate opened cause I cleared out the mobs or something.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll keep that in mind.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Method matters as much as the path no?
I'd say definitely not, in this instance, unless I'm misunderstanding you. You pick one method or the other to perform the same action for the exact same result. If there were another path it would mean there was some whole other physical location in the game that I'd never seen.

Mistel

Banned
I'd say definitely not, in this instance, unless I'm misunderstanding you. You pick one method or the other to perform the same action for the exact same result. If there were another path it would mean there was some whole other physical location in the game that I'd never seen.
Not going to lie don't even know where I was going with that.
Some of the covenants offer benefits such as upgrade materials and merchants that are not apparent at first glance.

Durante

I have a question about (minor equipment spoiler)
the NPC Phantom which drops the Dingy set
. Could it be that it only appears in a "real" NG+, and not if you just use an Ascetic? Anyone know?
Bumping this up just once. At worst I'll just have to try ;)

LogN

Did I take an alternative path through the game or something? And for reference I was expecting this to be a 60-hour game, which is pretty much exactly how long it took me to beat Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 each.

Other than the rotunda and risking a fall down The Pit, I haven't noticed any other paths to take than:
Majula -> Forest of Fallen Giants -> Lost Bastille -> Sinner's Rise -> Shaded Woods
Or
Majula -> Tower of Flame -> No Man's Wharf -> Lost Bastille -> Sinner's Rise -> Shaded Woods

I do Majula > Forest > Tower of Flame > Lost Bastille > No Man's Wharf > Sinners Rise > Undead Copse > Undead Purgatory > Harvest Valley > Earthen Peak > Shaded Wood

TheSeks

Aim for the heads. There is one on either end. Don't ask me how that works.

Oh, I know. But I'm saying my damage output is crazy LOW.
Using fire as that's what it's weak to, still 50-100 damage

WTF.

And spells are IMPOSSIBLE to hit on it even locked on. It's crazy. I think I may attempt Pyromancy on it.

Just uploaded a 5 minute video talking about the up and downsides of both Souls games and whether it evens out to be worth it in the end.

http://youtu.be/zu2R0nJ-sJM

Dunno if this view will be unpopular but I hope I explained myself well.

The games are always hard and not even exceptionally fun (at least in the way an action game or such would be). I didn't even particularly enjoy my first playthrough of Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2. Your stats are a mess, you get killed by everything, it isn't apparent how anything works. The subsequent playthroughs and trying out all of the weapons and magic I think are much better than the slog of the first playthrough. Dark Souls is probably one of the only RPG's I've played that actually gets better and more varied on multiple playthroughs, rather than just being boring and repetitive..

What bothers me most though is the reused movesets. What is the point of having so many weapons if the difference is purely statistical? The Black Knight Halberd, an ancient weapon that's meant to be exceedingly heavy and powerful, is exactly the same as any old wooden halberd lying around?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey guys, I wanted to throw up a little comparison of WickFutts ENB with the ambient light removed, next to the vanilla game, and get your thoughts on it.

I tried to get every instance of lighting (other than magic cuz fuk yall wizards) in the room, tell me how you feel on it.

The room is in the basement with absolutely no sources of light available.

No light source

Flaming weapon

Only torch

Only sconce

And finally, near the edge of the light

I also took a screenshot with both the sconce and the torch, but the light difference was negligible since it seems the torch overpowers the sconce.

What do you think?

With it being a completely dark room with no light source, I think it's cool to actually need a torch to see anything well. The ENB does actually have a little bit of adaptation to it, so when you enter darkness things will slowly sort of brighten up a bit.

On top of that, I think it's really awesome when playing with a flaming weapon that you actually get some light coming off it and it provides a bit more visibility.

Keeping that in mind, it's also pretty damn difficult to see with the light off, which of course is the purpose of the torch but with torches not being unlimited it can be a much bigger challenge.

Durante

NG+ is calling to me but may take a breather before starting
I actually meant to say NG, without the +.

My point was that after over 90 hours I still haven't beaten the game :p

I tried to get every instance of lighting (other than magic cuz fuk yall wizards) in the room, tell me how you feel on it.
I feel like you suck. Ate a crystal soul spear recently?

But in all seriousness, I still feel like I felt since weeks: the game clearly wasn't built to be played entirely without ambient lighting.

Zomba13

Hey guys, I wanted to throw up a little comparison of WickFutts ENB with the ambient light removed, next to the vanilla game, and get your thoughts on it.

The room is in the basement with absolutely no sources of light available.

No light source

Flaming weapon

Only torch

Only sconce

And finally, near the edge of the light

I also took a screenshot with both the sconce and the torch, but the light difference was negligible since it seems the torch overpowers the sconce.

What do you think?

With it being a completely dark room with no light source, I think it's cool to actually need a torch to see anything well. The ENB does actually have a little bit of adaptation to it, so when you enter darkness things will slowly sort of brighten up a bit.

On top of that, I think it's really awesome when playing with a flaming weapon that you actually get some light coming off it and it provides a bit more visibility.

Keeping that in mind, it's also pretty damn difficult to see with the light off, which of course is the purpose of the torch but with torches not being unlimited it can be a much bigger challenge.

On the one hand that makes sense and is cool but on the other would make it too hard for me. I like Durante's GeDoSaTo included post processing thing that darkens things slightly but not too much as to make you need a torch all the time.

Would be interesting doing a playthrough like that though.

guys , can any one explain to me this ?
http://youtu.be/f8x9JtrDS_o?t=1m50s
the second warrior i meant
what happen ?
i thought this is dark souls.. not Bleach or some ninja anime

Oh shit! Acoustic/kazoo Rules of nature.

elfinke

guys , can any one explain to me this ?
[url.]http://youtu.be/f8x9JtrDS_o?t=1m50s[/url]
the second warrior i meant
what happen ?
i thought this is dark souls.. not Bleach or some ninja anime

First didn't strike me as particularly 'hacky'. Benefit of the doubt before I throw that accusation around, anyway.

The second one looked like some lag switch business, but who knows. Just reminded me of the effect of using a lag switch in client-based updating (which ties in with that reddit post someone mentioned earlier) in FPS or racing games.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I feel like you suck. Ate a crystal soul spear recently?

But in all seriousness, I still feel like I felt since weeks: the game clearly wasn't built to be played entirely without ambient lighting.

After crushing the skulls of a dozen wizards with that big meaty club, its hard to have any respsect =p

I do think it can be a bit severe, and the ENB does offer the choice of adjusting it. I plan to play with it another time an try to find a nice middle ground where the torch will be helpful, but not necessarily feel like you can't see anything at all without it.

eot

Banned
The red phantom outside the Chariot just tracked me with a leap attack, he fucking turned in the air. Stuff like that is what pisses me off about this game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Sorry man, just got back from work and tried to take pictures but for some reason Print Screen isn't working for me on this computer :(

Use Steam screenshot! They do lossless if you enable it in the settings!

Steam > Settings > In-game > save an uncompressed copy!

Then you can just upload the PNG on Sta.sh, Flickr, pomf.se, or some other lossless site and you'll be golden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom