• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Import OT] Kindle the fire, one last time

My first disappointment for this game when I knew that the firelink shrine in DS3 doesn't connect the game's areas like in the original Dark Souls and now we are seeing slideshow framerate, I love From Software, one of my favorite developers, but they can't make the game run steadily at 30fps? This is too much.

Draft

wth at the three week gap between JP and US release dates. Why??? I've got nothing but time between now and April 12th, then like every single weekend is packed with bullshit work and family togetherness. Argh.

Amadeusz

Neo Member

Basically if you want to play the "bad invader, predator" mode expect to be paired up against a group of people 90% of the times. People who want to PVP will probably just use red summoning signs (which don't even require you to be in Lord of Cinder form) instead of refreshing Dried Fingers debuff.

silva1991

The streamers aren't playing the game with day 1 patch right? I assume there will be a patch when the game is officially released.

convo

My first disappointment for this game when I knew that the firelink shrine in DS3 doesn't connect the game's areas like in the original Dark Souls and now we are seeing slideshow framerate, I love From Software, one of my favorite developers, but they can't make the game run steadily at 30fps? This is too much.

Great you don't have to care for this game until the PC launch at the least. That should make the wait pretty easy on you. Firelink has been this way in previews so there only so many suprises happening on stream right now.

masterkajo

So we do have a BB or Demons Souls like hub where we have warp to and from? Not something like DS1 or Ds2? Very dissapointing indeed.

convo

So we do have a BB or Demons Souls like hub where we have warp to and from? Not something like DS1 or Ds2? Very dissapointing indeed.

Trying to connect very far apart areas made DS2 have magical geometry which made people so angry the current framtrate outrage looks like childsplay. Areas seem to be very apart this time and they went with Demons and Bloodbornes way of dealing with that.
Still it should help people not having to play it as soon as posssible.

hiryu

I'm getting hyped for tomorrow. I think I'm going Knight but I'm still debating Wanderer or Warrior as well. I'm going to try to avoid using magic too much on the Japanese version.

Very annoyed that Namco delayed the US version so it would fall in a different fiscal year. The game must be complete if they are letting streamers play it.

Markoman

Good, my decision to build a new PC paid off, don't want to mess with sub 30fps anymore...and DS3 Pc is around 40$. Fuck this gen....

Oh god, that hitbox is really shit, worse than DS2.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You should remember iron golem i DS he had a fun time too. Everyone will shit on every game in the franchise for some of the hitboxes at least we are being consistent.

If it's the end of the series they had to include at least SOME of these.

masterkajo

Trying to connect very far apart areas made DS2 have magical geometry which made people so angry the current framtrate outrage looks like childsplay. Areas seem to be very apart this time and they went with Demons and Bloodbornes way of dealing with that.
Still it should help people not having to play it as soon as posssible.
I started to play the Souls games with Demons Souls and didn't really like it mainly due to the gloomy and dark places as well as the disconnected world.

I gave Dark Souls 1 a chance back then and fell in love with it mostly because of the first areas and all the interconnections there. Coming back to firelink shrine through a newly discovered shortcut always gave me the biggest grin.

SpokkX

So there are frameRATE issues? Not just frame pacing problems (like bloodborne)? Bloodbornes framerate rarely dropped below average 30, it just presented the frames in an unevel interval

Boogdud

If you love From Software you know damn well the answer to that question. Have they ever, and I really do mean ever, released a game (that wasn't a redux like SoTFS) that ran at a fully steady 30fps? I honestly can't think of one going back to the original PS days. I've played almost every game they've released. I think maybe otogi or ninja blade? But certainly not any of their mainline series. It's baffling.

convo

Worst game confirmed.

But really, even Bloodborne had cases like this.

Every fucking souls game had even worse cases, what have people amnesia again. I can not vouch for a perfect track record on any game when it comes to giant hands grabbing you.

Every fucking souls game had even worse cases, what have people amnesia again. I can not vouch for a perfect track record on any game when it comes to giant hands grabbing you.

we're not saying it was good in the other games, man, lol. Its a obvious flaw in Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, and its gonna suck in this game, too. At least at this point we're used to the jank, to the point where we're justifying it as a series tradition.

maxcriden

DKCR (Tiki Tong Terror) and OOT 3D (Bongo Bongo and Wallmasters) come to mind.

Right, I think I'll just cancel my physical pre-order and get the digital one, I don't really want to wait an entire week for it to arrive here when making a JP PSN account is this easy.

convo

I started to play the Souls games with Demons Souls and didn't really like it mainly due to the gloomy and dark places as well as the disconnected world.

I gave Dark Souls 1 a chance back then and fell in love with it mostly because of the first areas and all the interconnections there. Coming back to firelink shrine through a newly discovered shortcut always gave me the biggest grin.

Demons is beloved for one having a memorable Hub area. And this games hub looks even better in my opinion. It getting filled up with NPC brings warmth to my heart. And whats up with the thrones? If they actually get filled i will cream my pants.

Demons is beloved for one having a memorable Hub area. And this games hub looks even better in my opinion. It getting filled up with NPC brings warmth to my heart. And whats up with the thrones? If they actually get filled i will cream my pants.

I'm totally pro hub. I take no pleasure in walking down the same "connecting" pathways dozens of times in Dark Souls. It's transparent and adds nothing for me.

convo

People finally staying true to themselves and actually wating on the game i see.For everyone else it's gonna be pandemonium in 24 hours or so.

If you love From Software you know damn well the answer to that question. Have they ever, and I really do mean ever, released a game (that wasn't a redux like SoTFS) that ran at a fully steady 30fps? I honestly can't think of one going back to the original PS days. I've played almost every game they've released. I think maybe otogi or ninja blade? But certainly not any of their mainline series. It's baffling.

I know, but Bloodborne runs better than this (same engine) it should be improved not get worse. Their games aren't technically very impressive to not run at least at a steady 30 FPS. The fans shouldn't stay silent about this unless they patch it very fast.

Edit: We shouldn't always expect bad performance, also Dark Souls 2 on Xbox 360 was fine.

Boogdud

Watching a bit of the stream, this village the guy is going through is just too BB, couldn't they at least give the mobs different weapons? Their animations and weapons are almost identical to BB (pitchforks and cleavers). I can see this as being novel for an xbox or pc person, but damn, I was waiting for one of them to yell "I'll hurt your brain!".

convo

Watching a bit of the stream, this village the guy is going through is just too BB, couldn't they at least give the mobs different weapons? Their animations and weapons are almost identical to BB (pitchforks and cleavers). I can see this as being novel for an xbox or pc person, but damn, I was waiting for one of them to yell "I'll hurt your brain!".
It is more likley in this game that we'll be able to get their loot though. Dressing up as the fat lady is gonna be possible and that's alright.

Hmm...I think it was the Kotaku preview that mentioned the amount of asset grabbing going on.

Majin Boo

I will wait until I can get to the area with the framerate issues myself tomorrow, but if it's indeed
Bighttown 2.0
I won't be amused...

convo

The swamp ones are the game not the stream yeah.

I can't really rely on streams when the SFV tournaments i watch are slideshows so i can't tell. Even the PC streams will look like shit thanks to my wonky wifi so i here's to you guys fighting the good fight i guess.

Great you don't have to care for this game until the PC launch at the least. That should make the wait pretty easy on you. Firelink has been this way in previews so there only so many suprises happening on stream right now.

Does it open up? Please answer yes or no in a spoiler tag.

So there are frameRATE issues? Not just frame pacing problems (like bloodborne)? Bloodbornes framerate rarely dropped below average 30, it just presented the frames in an unevel interval

There was slowdown in BB, but in no way as bad as what I have seen today. It seems to be when walking into a new area

nynt9

I asked in the other thread but this seems more active so:

Quick question:

I have both my JP and US account set as primary on the PS4. If I have DS3 downloaded through the JP account, can I log in to the US account and play on that? If so, can I play multiplayer using the US account's PS+?

convo

Namco must be allowing these guys to stream at least in the starting areas i guess. They are getting nuked once they get past anything new i bet.

Top Bottom