• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I bought the game 2 days ago and...

Jeezus, I have the feeling that the world is really fuckin' huge, like waaaay bigger than Bloodborne's world. It's exciting and terrifying at the same time!

But anyway, I really really enjoy myself. It's like they put everything that is good in the series in one single game. This is so great.

Last boss I beat was
the priests in the Cathedral. They weren't hard at all, but I thought that was a cool boss, was a big surprise when I entered the room lol.

And the music, man, the MUSIC.
Yes, the game has an amazing OST. The main menu music in particular always pumps me up.

The world really feels great to explore, the levels are big and pretty!

Hey guys, I have a question for people who have the game early;

So, people on reddit / elsewhere have said that "magic" as a whole is not as effective as it used to be, partially due to it taking a lot more stat investment to git gud and partially due to casting times being too slow to keep up with the increased combat speed.

But a lot of the criticism I see seems to be leveled at Sorcery in particular. What I want to know is how are miracles effected. I'm not on about lightning bro spam, I'm on about healing miracles. I loved healing people as a Sunbro in DS2 so the state of miracles at present is going to massively influence my build choice for both solo PVE and co-op.

Any advice is appreciated.

I felt that it would be a very arrogant title :/ I think I made the right judgement here

If you used that title it would have made everyone
me
even more salty
3WQfpkM.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
A warning to spoiler avoiders, I would just log off now. This game is so worth going on blackout for.
Yep, especially since they went all-in with the nostalgia factor in this game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Something I realized with the JP releaae was that I'm officially "pro" at playing Souls in a foreign language. If any future Souls game gets released in JP before any other region, I'll buy the game to get it early asap.

Sanctuary

Something I realized with the JP releaae was that I'm officially "pro" at playing Souls in a foreign language. If any future Souls game gets released in JP before any other region, I'll buy the game to get it early asap.

Pretty much everyone who's very familiar with the games could do it.

Yoshichan

Pretty much everyone who's familiar with the games could do it.
But that's not what people were saying pre-JP launch. And I'm not even talking about comprehending the lore, but rather people saying that they would run in circles and not know what to do. That never really happened :lol

I think it's not quite as good as bloodborne but definitely the best dark souls game

Lol, I don't believe gaf anymore when it comes to Dark Souls. Dark Souls 2 was the second coming of christ at first. Bloodborne is still the best game ever here, lol. Both games are huge disappointments imo.
I'm currently replaying Dark Souls 1 and I won't believe that Dark Souls 3 is the better game (already played it a few hours). The level design (not interconnected) already makes it worse

I'm planning a quality build with a focus on the bleeding projectile to lure people inside an attack range. Any tips from people that have the game?

Yoshichan

Lol, I don't believe gaf anymore when it comes to Dark Souls. Dark Souls 2 was sthe second coming of christ at first. Bloodborne is still the best game evr here, lol. Both games are huge disappointments imo.
I'm currently replaying Dark Souls 1 and I won't believe that Dark Souls 3 is the better game (already played it a few hours). The level design (not interconnected) already makes it worse
DkS3 isn't in "at first" stage though. This game is unbelievably good, that won't ever change.

Probably extremely viable, if you're primarily going towards a melee + buff build, and aren't looking at it as a DEX for casting speed + offensive spells. We don't know what the highest casting speed caps are yet, but apparently the impact of DEX in that regard is minimal and not worth being a consideration if you weren't already using the stat for weapons.

If you're thinking offensive miracles or sorcery, right now that's considered "hard mode" during the earlier levels until it gets adjusted through a patch. Late game it's supposed to be "fine", but who wants to struggle until late game? Also, the starting staff and chime were supposed to be the only casting tools that were scaling correctly, and those you found later were busted.

Yeah, I was thinking more of a fighter type that could use buffs on the side and the occasional projectile magic, so I guess I'll go this route.
I'll try a pure caster the day they fix it but I like experiencing my Souls game as mostly melee games on my first try.

Had my UK copy arrive yesterday, think I'm going to end up liking this more than DS2 from the time I've put in so far (over 6 hours I think?).
Haven't played too many games as of late so being drawn into another Souls game for extended periods is kinda appreciated.

Last area I went through was so densely designed it took me a good 30 minutes just finding the actual route to progress,
this being Cathedral of the Deep, spent a fair amount of times wandering the grounds before finding the right path, great area!

Yoshichan

DkS3, unlike every other DkS-game, actually picks up IMMENSELY during the last 30-40%. Not saying the start-mid parts of the game is bad; it's really, really good but near the end it becomes EVEN BETTER THAN DEMON'S SOULS. Yeah, that's right - I just said that.

Lmao? Look at all the lmaos in the first Dark Souls 2 thread, lmao

:p

DkS3, unlike every other DkS-game, actually picks up IMMENSELY during the last 30-40%. Not saying the start-mid parts of the game is bad; it's really, really good but near the end it becomes EVEN BETTER THAN DEMON'S SOULS. Yeah, that's right - I just said that.

You are the Yoshichan who puts Dark Souls 2 in first place ;)

I don't believe it !!!

rdytoroll

Out of curiosity, are there any people in here that havent watched a single second of footage and are completely unspoiled?

Yoshichan

This won't be the case with this game.

Also, DkS2 is generally thought of as an absolutely amazing game. Very few people (I'm thinking %-wise), actually have such harsh feelings towards this game.

My arm, even after surgery, is doing well enough that I will be able to play this. If I needed an excuse, I'd call it physical therapy :^)

Derpot

Yes, the game has an amazing OST. The main menu music in particular always pumps me up.

The world really feels great to explore, the levels are big and pretty!

Yeah well... When I saw what the next area was, my reaction was basically like:

"Oh boy. A poisoned swamp area. Of course there's a poisoned swamp area."

Don't think I'm going to have a great time there lol.

Bl@de

So close....

XifHvBX.gif

Out of curiosity, are there any people in here that havent watched a single second of footage and are completely unspoiled?

Well I've seen a couple of promo pictures and a trailer 2 months ago ... That's it. I have been dodging spoilers like Neo.

Yoshichan

You are the Yoshichan who puts Dark Souls 2 in first place ;)

I don't believe it !!!
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here... that my opinions regarding this series is invalid because of my liking towards DkS2?

Auctopus

Lol, I don't believe gaf anymore when it comes to Dark Souls. Dark Souls 2 was the second coming of christ at first. Bloodborne is still the best game ever here, lol. Both games are huge disappointments imo.

I never thought DS2 was a decent Souls game. DS3 is the true DS1 sequel To me.

Im sorry, the whole "its not interconnected therefore its inferior!!!11" its just...the dumbest Dark Souls preference, IMO. Because DS3 didn't bother with a bunch of tedious, transparent, "connecting" areas that aren't inherently interesting means the level design is worse. No one talks about the enemy design/placement, the sound design, the art direction, the loot, the NPCs, the unique scenarios, the bonfire placements, the exploration, the boss fights/music...nope, doesn't matter. The game with Lost Izalith, Demon Ruins, Tomb of the Giants, and the Crystal Cave has better level design because you can walk to Firelink Shrine

ok

sn00zer

Hey whats the best way/cheapest way to preorder if I want to preorder this, FFXV, and Last Guardian in one fell swoop with out dropping $180?

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here... that my opinions regarding this series is invalid because of my liking towards DkS2?

Sarcasm ;)

but yeah, lol

Im sorry, the whole "its not interconnected therefore its inferior!!!11" its just...the dumbest Dark Souls preference, IMO. Because DS3 didn't bother with a bunch of tedious, transparent, "connecting" areas that aren't inherently interesting means the level design is worse. No one talks about the enemy design/placement, the sound design, the art direction, the loot, the NPCs, the unique scenarios, the bonfire placements, the exploration, the boss fights/music...nope, doesn't matter. The game with Lost Izalith, Demon Ruins, Tomb of the Giants, and the Crystal Cave has better level design because you can walk to Firelink Shrine

ok

Exactly.
And I don't think that Dark Souls 1 had a bad second half. It was amazing from start to finish and the level design was one of the most important things.
Let's talk about bonfires and exploration. Like in Dark Souls 2 (and unlike Dark Souls 1) you have way too many bonfires now ...(or shorter ways between them). Exploration is key in dark Souls and that's why Dark Souls 1 is also the best soulsborne game...interconnected world makes a fantastic experience. It's easier to miss things and hidden paths/areas. Now you have a linear path...that's why Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne aren't that replayable imo. Dark Souls 3 level design looks similar.

Nere

Excellent OT just one thing, there will be 2 DLCs confirmed from the season pass. Can't wait for tomorrow!!!

Now that some friends will have this game, it'll be a great co-op game. Got a few builds planned for it already like making a Zelda using a rapier and a bow, or another run as shirtless William Howard Taft with dual caestus. Perhaps do a run where I'm a blue guy named Sonic with claws and my co-op partner can be like a pink girl named Amy with a giant hammer oh man this game is the best game.

Also this is the worst game ever because nobody has yet to find a trident in the game therefore I cannot do a proper Ganondorf run what a piece of shit awful game this is I hate everything.

rdytoroll

Just gotta love how in every thread people keep on shitting on Dark Souls 2, instead of just being excited that Dark Souls 3 is so near. Like come on, you're beating a dead horse here

So, guys: what should my focus be, stats wise?

I usually played a STR/DEX character in previous games. With some VIT & END of course.

Will I fare well if I prioritize these stats again?

Nere

In what way was Bloodborne a huge disappointment? Hyperbole much?

Vuze

So, guys: what should my focus be, stats wise?

I usually played a STR/DEX character in previous games. With some VIT & END of course.

Will I fare well if I prioritize these stats again?
That's basically what I'm doing right now and even as a Souls casual player I haven't had any serious problems (yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom