• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

I've had it appear once and only once, with Kingseeker Frampt as well.

I can assure you my card wasn't overheating... so it's got to be something else.

I've had it appear in both Firelink and during the Asylum Demon battle. I didn't pay it any heed during the Asylum Demon battle as I thought that I had just forgotten to turn off anti-aliasing or something, but when I started to see it all over Firelink it started to worry me a bit.

My GPU is currently running at 54C idle, which doesn't sound too bad, but I'm sending in my card for a replacement while it's still under warranty.

Edit: Didn't think it could get much worse, but then the game started looking like this...

XaCyd.jpg

Took out my frustrations on Crestfallen, hopefully it doesn't take too long to get my video card replacement.

It's a bug with the Primordial Serpent model. I saw the bug happen with Kathe in the Firelink Altar. Those little "whiskers" on the serpents' faces controlled by the game's physics engine bugged out and started sliding to the right. To the right they slowly went! Weeee! They kept going and going, stretching the joint that connected the whiskers with the face, resulting in the glitch that many people have posted here about.

Daante

A little noob question here:

I totally forgot about AA, should i force this trough radeonpro or trough catalyst control center? , what works best with Durantes fix? (running a 3570k @ 3,4 ghz and a 7850)

_machine

Edit: Didn't think it could get much worse, but then the game started looking like this...
Yup, that's definitely a busted GPU. The issue will soon appear in other games too, not everything.

I had the same thing happen to my GPU; I believe it was Metro 2033 in the hot summer that caused the issues which appeared much later on a few games and then spread until it became pretty much unplayable. RMA will cover it if it's still under warranty.

Tess3ract

Banned
When cards do that it's either a driver issue or a hardware issue, but 99% of the time it's a hardware issue.

even consoles have the same issues, and it happens when their card starts to go bad.

Thrakier

When cards do that it's either a driver issue or a hardware issue, but 99% of the time it's a hardware issue.

even consoles have the same issues, and it happens when their card starts to go bad.

Like I said, I saw similar issues and my card is fine. There is definitly something going on with this game, maybe it's because of DSFix. You never know. As long as he hasn't problems with any other games there is no need for an replacement.

And also, before caliming that the GPU is too hot, he shoud actually check the temperature. Then we know more.

Tess3ract

Banned
Well obviously, that's a common symptom of overheating, but if it's doing that when it's normal, it's partially bad or going bad.

Talking out of my ass here, but the gpu goes "I have no idea where to put these vertices because my logic is breaking/1+1=3" which is why that happens?

Thrakier

Well obviously, that's a common symptom of overheating, but if it's doing that when it's normal, it's partially bad or going bad.

Talking out of my ass here, but the gpu goes "I have no idea where to put these vertices because my logic is breaking/1+1=3" which is why that happens?

That is really the problem here.

ArynCrinn

Banned
That "stretching glitch" happened to me on Pinwheel, where he sort of stretched to where ever he teleported too. Through walls and all around the room, the frame rate also dipped to like 1-5fps and it all started as soon as I started recording. Wasn't my card, because it was 48C at highest under Realtemp (my ambient temp was probably 71 degrees). But yeah, it seems to be a rare graphical bug, don't know if it's related to DSFix, only time I ever got it.

Edit: My GPU fans are also at 75-80% when playing any game, and I've played Dark Souls for over 20 hours after this happened, as well as Dishonored at highest settings and Crysis 2 with MaldomodHD+Quality mod, and never had any graphical issues. So at least in my case, and maybe others it doesn't seem to be a bad GPU issue. I got it when using my 2500k/GTX580 rig.

So my recommendation to RoboGeorgeForeman is: Try to recreate the issue, exit out of game immediately, and see what your highest temps were under load. FYI, you should be idling at around mid 30's-low 40's, and under load dependent on game high 50's-high 60 dependent on game. 50's idle is not good, what was your ambient temp?

That "stretching glitch" happened to me on Pinwheel, where he sort of stretched to where ever he teleported too. Through walls and all around the room, the frame rate also dipped to like 1-5fps and it all started as soon as I started recording. Wasn't my card, because it was 48C at highest under Realtemp (my ambient temp was probably 71 degrees). But yeah, it seems to be a rare graphical bug, don't know if it's related to DSFix, only time I ever got it.

Edit: My GPU fans are also at 75-80% when playing any game, and I've played Dark Souls for over 20 hours after this happened, as well as Dishonored at highest settings and Crysis 2 with MaldomodHD+Quality mod, and never had any graphical issues. So at least in my case, and maybe others it doesn't seem to be a bad GPU issue. I got it when using my 2500k/GTX580 rig.

So my recommendation to RoboGeorgeForeman is: Try to recreate the issue, exit out of game immediately, and see what your highest temps were under load. FYI, you should be idling at around mid 30's-low 40's, and under load dependent on game high 50's-high 60 dependent on game. 50's idle is not good, what was your ambient temp?

According to MSI Afterburner the load temp peaked at 80C, and my fans were running at around 50%.

Edit: Created a new profile and the idle temps are going down a bit. Now it's running at around 45C (roughly a change in temp of -10C). Under load it was 60C.

Wanny

I also had the stretching bug once with 60 fps patch and/or texture mods on the big black knight under the gargoyles. I don't think it's related to overheating I never let it go above 70°C.

Ashler

I've been trying to keep up with this thread as well as possible so I'm not sure if this problem has happened to anyone else. But I'm running dsfix 0.9.1 and when I look at a certain spot within the Darkroot Gardens, a little away from where you meet Alvina, my screen melts into a blue and white blob. And when I look away the screen goes back to normal. In this picture, I'm right next to Shiva, looking over a cliff.

Just like to add that I have the same issue. Could it be a GPU specific (driver) issue? for what it's worth I have an nVidia 590GTX.

jett

D-Member
Is there anything that can be done to improve framerate? I seem to be getting around 20~25fps with the framerate unlocked...which is better than dropping straight to 15 no doubt. I do have an aging PC that I'm not sure if even meets the minimum requirements, though. :p Running it "just" at 1080p.

Thanks for the hard work Durante.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Make sure your graphics card is set to performance mode.

Make sure your CPU is set to high power mode.

When you launch the game, open up control panel and set "DATA.exe" priority to high in the processes section.

Close any stuff running in the background.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Is there anything that can be done to improve framerate? I seem to be getting around 20~25fps with the framerate unlocked...which is better than dropping straight to 15 no doubt. I do have an aging PC that I'm not sure if even meets the minimum requirements, though. :p Running it "just" at 1080p.

SMAA disabled?

1080p is quite demanding on an "aging" pc btw.

Durante

Not really much you can do. The game is highly dependent on single-threaded CPU performance, and fillrate in some areas/with some effects. You should disable SMAA and SSAO of course, and go with a relatively low (e.g. 540) DoF resolution.

Durante

Version 1.8

Changes:
- Added an FXAA option in addition to SMAA. FXAA is blurrier, but also deals with sub-pixel aliasing better because of that. It’s also very slightly cheaper in terms of performance.
- Added the ability to bind a key to toggle a 30 FPS limit for a short time. By default it’s bound to backspace. This is useful to fix the sporadic issues with unlocked FPS, sse the blog post linked above.
- Greatly improved depth usage in the SSAO shader. This means that the SSAO effect is now more stable at different distances from objects.

Some people here will think I'm crazy, but when rendering at a very high internal resolution I actually prefer FXAA to SMAA in DS, since it deals with subpixel aliasing better (yes, by blurring it).

Version 1.8

Changes:
- Added an FXAA option in addition to SMAA. FXAA is blurrier, but also deals with sub-pixel aliasing better because of that. It’s also very slightly cheaper in terms of performance.
- Added the ability to bind a key to toggle a 30 FPS limit for a short time. By default it’s bound to backspace. This is useful to fix the sporadic issues with unlocked FPS, sse the blog post linked above.
- Greatly improved depth usage in the SSAO shader. This means that the SSAO effect is now more stable at different distances from objects.

Some people here will think I'm crazy, but when rendering at a very high internal resolution I actually prefer FXAA to SMAA in DS, since it deals with subpixel aliasing better (yes, by blurring it).

Holy wow not sure what u did but now i can play with 60fps @ 5760 * 1200 , thanks

mr_nothin

Banned
Version 1.8

Changes:

I also prefer FXAA to SMAA. Difference is barely noticable with SMAA. FXAA is more pronounced although more blurred but I enjoy the softer look a bit....it's not too soft. I hate the little bit of jaggies left over even when i run at 2x2 Supersampling + 2xMSAA & SMAA. Replacing SMAA with FXAA takes care of that.

New versions? Fuck yes! Trying FXAA now.

Edit: Love to have the options but I find it too blurry for this game. E.g. the amazing armor and shield textures suffer. The best thing about the graphics in this game. Back to SMAA.

Lace

I've added this fix to the game, but now I'm stuck playing with a small box. Any idea what I did wrong? Any help is appreciated.

About the stretching, I once had that problem with System Shock 2, after a driver update. So I uninstalled the drivers, rebooted with a generic Windows VGA driver, and made a clean reinstall. That fixed it.

Sullichin

I must be crazy but after many hours of 60fps I decided I prefer the game at 30fps.

I switched back because D3DOverrider doesn't work for me with the new AMD beta drivers, so I'd get crazy tearing at 60fps. RadeonPro didn't help either. But I prefer 30fps simply because I am so accustomed to the console version. The FPS is still higher and far more consistent than the PS3 version but it's obviously closer. Sometimes animations felt slightly off to me at 60fps in a way that I can't articulate very well... I want to use the word "snap".. like I perceive some segments of an animation occur faster than others, even if they're at the same fps. Then there's the very minor caveats like jumping distance and freezes when resting at a bonfire. Probably not even worth mentioning because you can change the fps with a keypress now.. That's not to say 60fps isn't totally functional. I get 60 locked pretty much everywhere (fighting Sif is a notable exception), it just feels a little weird. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Anyway with 30fps I can make the game look even better so I'm happy either way.

Cheddahz

Banned
Ok I got passed the intro, finally (had to turn off AA), but now I have another issues, I set my resolution to 1900 x 1200, but the screen still isn't full (there are black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, is there a way to make it "full screen"?

Zeliard

I dunno, 60 FPS feels a million times nicer to me, personally. I can't go back to 30. Even though Dark Souls is more methodical and slower-paced than what you usually find in the genre, which is part of the reason the console framerate wasn't a deal-breaker, 60 FPS is still ideal for action games.

Cheddahz

Banned
Ugh, so I enabled the borderless fullscreen, but it tells me to put in widowed mode in the game, so I did that, but now my highest option for a screen is 1900 x 1080 (and my screen is a 1900 x 1200)

I'll get this figured out, sooner or later

Sullichin

Borderless windowed fullscreen mode fixes my tearing problems 100%.. nice
I dunno, 60 FPS feels a million times nicer to me, personally. I can't go back to 30. Even though Dark Souls is more methodical and slower-paced than what you usually find in the genre, which is part of the reason the console framerate wasn't a deal-breaker, 60 FPS is still ideal for action games.

I'm definitely not trying to make an argument about 30fps vs 60.. 60 is better, and I hope the next Souls game supports it natively. Sometimes the animation just looks weird to me at 60. Now that I fixed the tearing maybe I'll stick with 60.

Ugh, so I enabled the borderless fullscreen, but it tells me to put in widowed mode in the game, so I did that, but now my highest option for a screen is 1900 x 1080 (and my screen is a 1900 x 1200)

I'll get this figured out, sooner or later

Check out this post earlier in the thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41948675&postcount=4454

the game doesn't support 16:10 resolutions so you have to do some stuff. Not sure how up to date that is though because my monitor is 16:9.

Zeliard

I'm definitely not trying to make an argument about 30fps vs 60.. 60 is better, and I hope the next Souls game supports it natively. Sometimes the animation just looks weird to me at 60. Now that I fixed the tearing maybe I'll stick with 60.

That's totally cool, and the game at 30 frames (or even lower) is still amazing, of course. I was just trying to get across that the removal of the framerate cap is one of my favorite parts about the fixed up PC version. :) What I always wanted from Dark Souls on PC is higher resolutions and 60 FPS, and now we can have both, and it's splendid.

Top Bottom