• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so I got it running with DSFix but I'm getting these results. Any thoughts on why this is?

c10e2182cd4bf0e5fd47190973a846d63957bb2a.jpg

I must be crazy but after many hours of 60fps I decided I prefer the game at 30fps.

I switched back because D3DOverrider doesn't work for me with the new AMD beta drivers, so I'd get crazy tearing at 60fps. RadeonPro didn't help either. But I prefer 30fps simply because I am so accustomed to the console version. The FPS is still higher and far more consistent than the PS3 version but it's obviously closer. Sometimes animations felt slightly off to me at 60fps in a way that I can't articulate very well... I want to use the word "snap".. like I perceive some segments of an animation occur faster than others, even if they're at the same fps. Then there's the very minor caveats like jumping distance and freezes when resting at a bonfire. Probably not even worth mentioning because you can change the fps with a keypress now.. That's not to say 60fps isn't totally functional. I get 60 locked pretty much everywhere (fighting Sif is a notable exception), it just feels a little weird. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Anyway with 30fps I can make the game look even better so I'm happy either way.

Yes, same here. I don't have problems with tearing @ 60, but I have a problem with judder. Some areas run super nice (Anor Londo, Sen's Fortress), but some regularly drop down to 45 fps (bed of chaos, etc.). I hate inconsistent frame rates, so I'm playing at 30 with more AA, etc.

dani_dc

so......

i can't find my dark souls folder....so i can't run the durante mod...

my idiocy knows no bounds -_-;

On your Program files folder go to the Steam folder, then SteamApps and finally Common, the path should be something like this:
C:\Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/common/Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition

vidcons

Banned
So how do I get this to run in fullscreen at 1920x1080?

Do I just enable that under the games settings? 'cause that says 16bit.

More monkeying around with the .ini file?

I'm 99.9% sure he'll be playing at 30fps. He hates inconsistent framerates way more than I do and playing this at 60fps is pretty damned inconsistent.

Playing at 60fps all the time is pretty easy on my rig... even at good image settings.
Or just tripple buffer the game at 60. 45-60 is much much better than just 30

Sethos

Banned
Durante, a question unrelated to Dark Souls but would it be technical possible to create a universal version of your interceptor code for D3D games. Basically to do easy supersampling of resolution without all sorts of apps, messing with custom resolutions that don't work etc. or is it a lot more complicated than that.

Shoot, dsfix still doesn't fully work for me. Anything after DSFix version 1.5 presents the same problems: Anti-aliasing options do not work (but ambient occlusion does), and if the frame rate is unlocked the game does not start. The resolution change to 1920x1080 works in all versions. There was some change after 1.5 that my hardware just doesn't like or something.

I've reinstalled the game through Steam, used the default settings in the dsfix .ini, removed the profile from nvidia inspector, disabled GPU overclocking. Same results with 1.8 and 1.9.

My hardware/software:

i5 2500k overclocked 4.3GHz
GTX 560Ti 448 Core
Windows 7 64-bit
Dark Souls key from greenmangaming, added to Steam

Any hypothesis why my PC doesn't like any DSFix after 1.5? I know a few others have the same issue.

Quikies83

what settings do you guys recommend for a 32" sony LCD. I've had to disconnect from my usual 24" monitor (was using 1080x1050 with internal dark souls res set to 1900x1200) to my tv now. Windows wants to set resolution to 1360x768 (over HDMI) but I'm thinking I'm going to stick with 1366x768. When I load up the game, looks like my aspect ratio is off or something because the picture isn't fitting the screen -- vertical letterbox right now.
Any help would be appreciated :)

Durante

Durante, a question unrelated to Dark Souls but would it be technical possible to create a universal version of your interceptor code for D3D games. Basically to do easy supersampling of resolution without all sorts of apps, messing with custom resolutions that don't work etc. or is it a lot more complicated than that.
It's more complicated. You can't really make it universal, since most games these days do not render directly to the backbuffer. So, at the very least, you'd need a sort of small "plugin" for each game which tells the interceptor which buffers to target.

I had this vague idea of making a generic, scriptable interceptor (with Lua scripting), but that's a long way off -- if it ever happens at all.

Sethos

Banned
It's more complicated. You can't really make it universal, since most games these days do not render directly to the backbuffer. So, at the very least, you'd need a sort of small "plugin" for each game which tells the interceptor which buffers to target.

I had this vague idea of making a generic, scriptable interceptor (with Lua scripting), but that's a long way off -- if it ever happens at all.

Damn, thought so. It was just a wet dream of mine to be able to do that. Hate fiddling with AA bits and custom resolutions that simply doesn't work on my monitor. Being able to type in a resolution and the game just renders it is a work of art.

If you ever get around to doing that in a few years, you've got my support :p

Mairu

Just bought the game because of the Amazon sale. My system is an i5-750 & GTX 670 - any recommendations as to settings to play with or resolutions to set it at? Kinda scared of using the FPS unlocker because of the ban warning in the .ini

Durante

Just bought the game because of the Amazon sale. My system is an i5-750 & GTX 670 - any recommendations as to settings to play with or resolutions to set it at? Kinda scared of using the FPS unlocker because of the ban warning in the .ini
That's almost exactly my system, so: 2560x1440, 1080p DoF with blur 1, VSSAO scale 1 strength 2, and either FXAA or SMAA at strength 4, depending on your taste (the former is slightly blurrier but also results in a more stable image).

As for the ban warning: no one has been banned so far. This of course doesn't mean that it can't happen, just that it's exceedingly unlikely. If you do decide to use the FPS unlock, read this to avoid any issues.

Oh, and get the font texture mod.

Mairu

That's almost exactly my system, so: 2560x1440, 1080p DoF with blur 1, VSSAO scale 1 strength 2, and either FXAA or SMAA at strength 4, depending on your taste (the former is slightly blurrier but also results in a more stable image).

As for the ban warning: no one has been banned so far. This of course doesn't mean that it can't happen, just that it's exceedingly unlikely. If you do decide to use the FPS unlock, read this to avoid any issues.

Thanks! Are there any performance/crashing issues associated with turning on full screen windowed/borderless mode?

edit: Game seems to be crashing every time I make it past the intro movie :(

Mairu

Are you using Windows 8?

You can at least move/rename the files in the DATA\movWW folder to skip the intro cinematic while testing.

I had forgotten to turn off the in game anti aliasing, works fine now though there's a ton of screen tearing in the beginning. Thanks for the help

doomquake

I must be crazy but after many hours of 60fps I decided I prefer the game at 30fps.

I switched back because D3DOverrider doesn't work for me with the new AMD beta drivers, so I'd get crazy tearing at 60fps. RadeonPro didn't help either. But I prefer 30fps simply because I am so accustomed to the console version. The FPS is still higher and far more consistent than the PS3 version but it's obviously closer. Sometimes animations felt slightly off to me at 60fps in a way that I can't articulate very well... I want to use the word "snap".. like I perceive some segments of an animation occur faster than others, even if they're at the same fps. Then there's the very minor caveats like jumping distance and freezes when resting at a bonfire. Probably not even worth mentioning because you can change the fps with a keypress now.. That's not to say 60fps isn't totally functional. I get 60 locked pretty much everywhere (fighting Sif is a notable exception), it just feels a little weird. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Anyway with 30fps I can make the game look even better so I'm happy either way.

i agree whole heartedly . 60 fps does look amazing, but..they need to make the game really support that. Its not that cool to get stuck on a tiny slope change or fall through ladders. it kind of breaks the game a bit for me like...im playing a buggy video game and i should be doing something else instead of - im playing MF DARK SOULS and this is the code of life!

Listen to this man!

Durante

I had forgotten to turn off the in game anti aliasing, works fine now though there's a ton of screen tearing in the beginning. Thanks for the help
If you are unlocking the frame rate, you need to run either in windowed mode or use a third-party tool such as D3Doverrider to get triple-buffered vsync.

I don't think it's working. I have in-game AA disabled, but the resolution in the DSfix.ini, but it seems to do nothing. Resolution stays where it was the last time I set it in-game.
The in-game resolution setting is not changed by DSfix. It's the output resolution. What you set in dsfix is the rendering resolution. The 2 need not be the same (though they usually are).

RedSwirl

Finally got to try it on my system with the following specs:

Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz
HD6850
3GB RAM
1440 x 900 monitor

Still in Undead Burg, the game performs about as well as the console version but looks much better despite the only difference being the resolution and SSAO. Once again since seeing the screenshots I'm wondering why From Software bothered with such good art assets for what is supposed to be a 720p game. I am seeing some pretty significant framerate dips at particular spots, but not at the same places where it dipped in the console version (I left it locked at 30. Does increasing to 60 increase potential performance?). SSAO is a little intense though so I'll probably tone it down. I'd say my performance is different, but not better. I kinda bought this on the hope that I'll be able to upgrade this year. If I can I'll think about trading in my 360 copy.

I have 2 problems after installing this and I'm sure you've heard of them before.
1. Zero fucking HUD, no menus, nothing. I made sure to turn off AA in game.
2. The grass in the second area looks "funny", like a weird mix of DOF and AO.

All of my settings that could be the source of the problems:
aaQuality 2
aaType SMAA
ssaoStrength 3
ssaoScale 2
ssaoType VSSAO
dofOverrideResolution 540
disableDofScaling 0
dofBlurAmount 1
enableHudMod 1 (doesn't make a difference)
enableMinimalHud 1
borderlessFullscreen 0
disableCursor 1
captureCursor 0
skipIntro 0 (doesn't make a difference)

Also, GFWL sucks and keeps wanting to update so I can't go online. Where do I manually install it?

SGRemy

On your Program files folder go to the Steam folder, then SteamApps and finally Common, the path should be something like this:
C:\Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/common/Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition

you are the nicest person i know at this point in time.

EDIT: game sits on a black screen after i skip the intro. AA turned off. didn't mess with the dsfix settings yet. what am i doing wrong??

Need a bit of help. For RadeonPro, do I add DARKSOULS or DATA? I tried DARKSOULS and the game showed in the task manager but did not open. DATA opened but did not seem to show any differences while playing.

I believe DSFix is being used correctly at least, though.

NG28

I have a pretty crappy rig (quad core 2.4ghz, 5670hd, 4gb ram), and I couldn't get the game to run well at 1600x900. It kept constantly fluctuating between 15-30fps no matter what I tried. As a last ditch effort I unlocked the fps and it solved the problem. I don't really go above 35fps (which I assumed so why unlock in the first place), but my frames don't drop below 25 anymore either. This seems like a good solution for anyone with a mediocre pc and bad frame drops. Maybe this was obvious, but hopefully its helpful for any other dumb-asses out there like me =P.

3phemeral

Okay, do I HAVE to install some Windows Live thing or something? After install, I'm getting an xlive.dll missing, but from what I'm reading it's a windows live-related feature. Please don't tell me I have to install something else just to get this game to work other than steam. I'm running win7 64.

Okay, do I HAVE to install some Windows Live thing or something? After install, I'm getting an xlive.dll missing, but from what I'm reading it's a windows live-related feature. Please don't tell me I have to install something else just to get this game to work other than steam. I'm running win7 64.

It needs GFWL to run - it should have installed it I think?

3phemeral

It needs GFWL to run - it should have installed it I think?
Really? Hm, I just dl-ed it from Steam and didn't see any other installation screens.
LLShC.gif

[edit] Seems I jumped the gun and was so in a rush to install the res fix I didn't actually launch it from Steam and tried to open it via Nexus Mod. Seems it's installing some new stuff.
KuGsj.gif

Quikies83

what settings do you guys recommend for a 32" sony LCD. I've had to disconnect from my usual 24" monitor (was using 1080x1050 with internal dark souls res set to 1900x1200) to my tv now. Windows wants to set resolution to 1360x768 (over HDMI) but I'm thinking I'm going to stick with 1366x768. When I load up the game, looks like my aspect ratio is off or something because the picture isn't fitting the screen -- vertical letterbox right now.
Any help would be appreciated :)

Anyone with a similar setup?

Orayn

"Turn off the in-game anti-aliasing setting."

I think we need a gaudy and slightly annoying animated GIF of this text, to post whenever someone has this problem. :p

EDIT:

Sorry, guys! I don't read a readme if I'm fairly knowledgeable about something, like adjusting .inis. I kinda see it as a "For Dummies" thing, though I guess I was a dummy this time! XD

Grief.exe

"Turn off the in-game anti-aliasing setting."

I think we need a gaudy and slightly annoying animated GIF of this text, to post whenever someone has this problem. :p

EDIT:

If I created something like this, I would start to hate people lol.

After about the 10,000 time someone posted that same picture where you need to disable AA, I would be so pissed.

Top Bottom