• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

I tried to get the DSI to work, but it's impossible.

i give up, 4 hours of crashing (only when i install dsi), It works normally if I don't)

You're just referring to DSfix, right? I'm not really sure why but certain overlays (FRAPS, MSI Afterburner, etc.) don't mix well with DSfix so it might be worth turning them off if you have any running. I have to set MSI Afterburner to ignore Dark Souls or else it crashes every time I try to run it.

How can I get better performance from this game? I can run The Witcher 2 fine on medium settings, Sleeping Dogs ran fine on medium as well, but I'm struggling to run this at a playable framerate. I've turned off some of the things in DSFix to no avail.

Cerity

OK, not exactly sure what is going on...

But my game has not been able to start with DsFix install as of late (version 2.01). Was looking to go back in for an NG+ run through, but the game does not want to cooperate.

Without the mod the game start perfectly fine.. but with it, it stalls and stops responding as soon as the window opens. I have tried reinstalling the game, turning off all features from the mod, turning off D3D override, etc...
I wonder what is causing the problem, thought you might be able to help Durante with some fresh ideas as to what is up.

Thanks for any help.

I run into this everytime I restart my computer and go to DS as my first game.

It's a gfwl issue, remove the dll from the folder, start the game and let it sign you into gfwl then quit, place the dll back in the folder and you should be set.

alternatively load up another game that uses gfwl, quit and start DS.

It's a gfwl issue, remove the dll from the folder, start the game and let it sign you into gfwl then quit, place the dll back in the folder and you should be set.

Which file is the .dll?

BadAss2961

Question - 16x10 users will have to play in black borders no matter what the internal resolution is in DSFix?

I can deal with it, just asking.

paolo11

Newb here. I am at the dsfix ini. How do I change it to 1920x 1080? Do I need to change my resolution in game option?

Man, I got so excited upon reading this. Yet, for some reason... it still did not work.

I have been reading that games have a problem upon starting if you use the language bar function in windows. I think I may disable that also... and give it a try.

Whooter

Newb here. I am at the dsfix ini. How do I change it to 1920x 1080? Do I need to change my resolution in game option?

This should be all you need to do...

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080

# The display width/height
# 0 means use the same resolution as renderWidth/Height
# (use for downscaling - if in doubt, leave at 0)
presentWidth 0
presentHeight 0

Ketch

So I just d/l this. But I have no idea what I'm doing.

It's super easy. I just did it this morning. There's good instructions at dark souls nexus, but all you do is extract the zip to the folder that contains the .exe then open the included .ini file and change the settings. There's even good descriptions of each setting inside the .ini itself.

Isaccard

It's super easy. I just did it this morning. There's good instructions at dark souls nexus, but all you do is extract the zip to the folder that contains the .exe then open the included .ini file and change the settings. There's even good descriptions of each setting inside the .ini itself.

Using Google, I just copy and pasted someone else's .ini settings. Seems like it worked

masterkajo

Finally played the game for about 5 hours last night. Really good. I like it a lot.

The first 2 hours I was fidling around with DSfix.ini settings though. While I could render the game at 1.5x the resolution I get constantly above 40FPS but varying a lot between 40 and 60 (using a 7850 here). I much rather render at 1920x1080 and get a constant 60FPS.

The only thing still bugging me is the boss health bars. I enabled the HUD modification because I like the minimal HUD more. I also turned on scaling to 75% and transparency for all HUD elements since I am playing on a Plasma TV I'd rather have a small decent HUD. I found out though that enabling these options turns the boss health bars into a single colored yellow bar which I could accept. The problem though is that the name of the boss is not displayed. Having never played the game before I kind of wish to know what boss I am fighting at the moment.

Anyone found a solution for having smaller HUD/ transparent HUD/ minimal HUD while still having correct boss health bars? Or could someone point me in the direction where I should look to try to fix it myself. I am not very familiar with modding though I would love to try and fix this since it is bugging me quite a bit. Thanks

Anyone found a solution for having smaller HUD/ transparent HUD/ minimal HUD while still having correct boss health bars? Or could someone point me in the direction where I should look to try to fix it myself. I am not very familiar with modding though I would love to try and fix this since it is bugging me quite a bit. Thanks

It's been discussed in detail, but the way the minimal HUD was implemented is extremely tedious and time consuming, and it was hoped someone would step up to finish it once the source code was released. Obviously, that hasn't happened. This is also why there's a hotkey to switch between the minimal and standard HUD, so you can just flip back to the default during bosses.

masterkajo

It's been discussed in detail, but the way the minimal HUD was implemented is extremely tedious and time consuming, and it was hoped someone would step up to finish it once the source code was released. Obviously, that hasn't happened. This is also why there's a hotkey to switch between the minimal and standard HUD, so you can just flip back to the default during bosses.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info. I guess I will do that then. And big thanks to Durante, of course, for the awesome fix. Would never enjoy the game this much without superb FPS, higher resolution and minimal HUD.

Hzoltan69

Is there a point doing double downsampling? I mean, using 4k internal rendering and downsampling to 1440k in the ini and further downsampling to a 1080p display. Would it have any performance or quality advantages compared to doing a straight 4k to 1080p in the ini?

Trogdor1123

I finally got the DSfix to work on my system and i am totally shocked. It is like a whole new game. I am just amazed at the difference it makes. I am extremely impressed. Will definately be playing through the game again. Put abotu 100 hours into the PS3 verision and will likely do the same here. Very happy, thank you so much for making this mod. We should make a thread with the best mods of all time in it. This would be in that for sure!

Orayn

Is there a point doing double downsampling? I mean, using 4k internal rendering and downsampling to 1440k in the ini and further downsampling to a 1080p display. Would it have any performance or quality advantages compared to doing a straight 4k to 1080p in the ini?

Probably more opportunity for artifacts and potential blurriness, I'd just downsample once.

patchday

I'm very thankful for this thread. Been playing Dark souls on my xbox 360 for quite awhile. But recently purchased Dark Souls PtDE on Steam during the summer sale. Game looks awesome with this DSfix. what a blessing this mod is

Trogdor1123

I'm very thankful for this thread. Been playing Dark souls on my xbox 360 for quite awhile. But recently purchased Dark Souls PtDE on Steam during the summer sale. Game looks awesome with this DSfix. what a blessing this mod is

Agreed, i knew the jump would be there. I didnt think it would be as large as it is. just an amazing mod.

llamarawk

Hey, so I just copied the dll and ini into the the game folder and about to start up my first game. Anything else I should do/know to optimize performance?

How come putting the game in 1920x1200 has black bars now with dsfix?

How do I get around that?

You don't. It's a 16:9 game and 1920x1200 is not a 16:9 resolution. Altering this will either cause your view to be vertically stretched, crop your view horizontally, or extend your view vertically (cheating).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You don't. It's a 16:9 game and 1920x1200 is not a 16:9 resolution. Altering this will either cause your view to be vertically stretched, crop your view horizontally, or extend your view vertically (cheating).

I think he's asking if there is a way to extend the view vertically.

Maj. Duty

Neo Member
Greetings,

And wow, it took over a month to get validated to be able to join these boards. That's a little ridiculous, I had given up, but I didn't come here to complain about that.

Thank you to the OP for your work on this topic. When I edit the ini file to change the resolution I cannot save it. I am the administrator of the PC. Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7

Atruvius

Greetings,

And wow, it took over a month to get validated to be able to join these boards. That's a little ridiculous, I had given up, but I didn't come here to complain about that.

Thank you to the OP for your work on this topic. When I edit the ini file to change the resolution I cannot save it. I am the administrator of the PC. Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7

A month's nothing, it took 9 months for me. :p

Have you checked if the ini is read only? Or copy the text inside the ini and make yourself a new one by pasting it to .txt file and change the extension to .ini.

Top Bottom