• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

It suddenly running much smoother. I did disable motion blur but I have no idea if that helped or not. I'm kind of rambling.

I have it disabled and it runs quite good, and I'm downsampling as well. Im on a 5770 as I mentioned, so I have a slight tingling in my privates after the fact :D

Card Boy

Banned
So really, how exactly did one man manage to make all of From Software and Namco Bandai look like fools within half an hour?

This man better be drowning in job offers soon.

I want to hear Froms excuse now to be honest. I hope Joystiq or Kotaku actually do something and follow this up.

Peterthumpa

Yes. But I need to make it run at eg. 960x540 when the game is set to 1920x1080.

Fuck, I don't have a clue about how doing this without touching the executable, you're an alien.

Also, supersampled screens:

iB4UvYxNFSHjQ.png

iBQgYYc24StuX.png

Really tempted to get MotionJoy running. I played this on PS3 the first time and it's going to take a little bit to get used to using the bumpers for major functions on my 360 controller.

Deadstar

How do you turn on "super sampling" ? Is this an nvidia setting? Right now I'm trying to hook up my ps3 controller to the computer. I just can't get used to the xbox controller. I've got blue tooth support in my p8p67 pro so I'm downloading the latest bluetooth drivers to see if my comp will detect it. Then I need to figure out how to get motioninjoy working.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, works fine that way for me.

ATI card here, and performance without the fix is poor, 30s, 20s, and even 10s. After running the fix, it stayed at a steady 30.

So if nothing else, the fix made my game go from unplayable to perfectly smooth (well as much as you can hope at 30fps) at an increased internal resolution too.
This is crazy. Really happy for you guys, and just so amazed solutions are being uncovered on the first day. I know my laptop won't be able to run it (regardless of the fix), but it brings me great joy and excitement just knowing many more people out there have begun playing this awesome game to at least half the standard they're used to. Hopefully the other problems will get ironed out in time, but like another poster said, this will go down in the books.
No, seriously, we need to start a petition for this.
I'd be more than happy to assist with translation if necessary. I love what From has done with this series, but they need to hear these voices and see the results of the community!

Well done, Durante. I'm literally thrilled right now, this has made Prepare to Dieday all the more special. Never has an Eva quote been so apt =)

How do you turn on "super sampling" ? Is this an nvidia setting? Right now I'm trying to hook up my ps3 controller to the computer. I just can't get used to the xbox controller. I've got blue tooth support in my p8p67 pro so I'm downloading the latest bluetooth drivers to see if my comp will detect it. Then I need to figure out how to get motioninjoy working.

Basically, just put a higher rez than your monitor in the config file. I use 2560x1440 for a 1080p monitor.

Peterthumpa

You don't. Just set the internal resolution bigger than the one you set inside the game (i.e: setting the game with 1920x1080 and the ini to 2560x1440).

Doing this will make the graphics card downsample the internal resolution to the game resolution, reducing aliasing, boosting IQ, etc.

[EDIT] - Beaten like FROM.

Varna

holy shit

690 GTX, i5-2500k @ 4.6GHZ.

I don't believe a card anywhere near this powerful is needed to get good results though. Card isn't even drawing anymore power while playing. GPU usage is 40%. Like I mentioned earlier, it's like it's running a flash game.

Yeah, the DOF effect looks pretty bad at times.

Deadstar

Is anyone using a 360 wired controller? Mine and many others don't seem to be working.

Mine worked fine. Analogue sticks don't work for the menu's, you have to use the dpad.

Wow....I'm going to try upping the resolution. Will this cause any harm to my video card, over heating, etc? I've never heard of this.

Durante

XA8gq.png

tumblr_m98k21wbBH1r8w1xa.gif

God damn this patch fixes everything. :O
Very nice comparison, mind if I post it on my blog later?

As you can see, supersampling isn't working correctly in those shots -- I don't know why it's working for some people already, but in the next release it will work for everyone.

690 GTX, i5-2500k @ 4.6GHZ.

I don't believe a card anywhere near this powerful is needed to get good results though. Card isn't even drawing anymore power while playing. GPU usage is 40%. Like I mentioned earlier, it's like it's running a flash game.

Yeah, the DOF effect looks pretty bad at times.

Whelp, I bow under your e-peen.

Cetra

Tried these settings:

renderWidth 2880
renderHeight 1620
logLevel 1

Single GTX 570 can't pull it with a stable frame rate. Guess I'll just just stick to 1080 and force AA through drivers.

So really, how exactly did one man manage to make all of From Software and Namco Bandai look like fools within half an hour?

This man better be drowning in job offers soon.

People have been finishing bethesda's/obsidian's work for a long time. It's unacceptable that they have to do it.

Tess3ract

Banned
When someone releases a 60fps fix, and a fix for either the DOF or LOD, I'll buy this game, not before.

I might be waiting forever for the LOD but at the very very least the 60fps fix.

Tried these settings:

renderWidth 2880
renderHeight 1620
logLevel 1

Single GTX 570 can't pull it with a stable frame rate. Guess I'll just just stick to 1080 and force AA through drivers.
What do you have for a cpu, because it's more cpu bound.

xJavonta

Banned
Holy crap that was fast! Now the FPS fix needs to come out ;)

Spiritual reasons. Principles, expectations, that sort of thing. There's nothing actually wrong with playing Dark Souls at 1024x720 (as evidenced by all the players that loved the console versions), but everyone was hoping for more.

Just stop. Have you played a PC game at 1024x720 or anything lower than native res for that matter? It looks like crap. I didn't buy a PC to continue playing games at non-native resolutions.

d0c_zaius

just wanted to express my sincere appreciation for durantes work, would not have purchased DS PC otherwise.

a god among men.

UrbanRats

Native 1080p
data2012-08-2401-24-0c4qnh.png

Back against the wall and odds
With the strength of a will and a cause
Your pursuits are called outstanding
You're modding apex
Against the grain of dystopic claims
Not the thoughts your actions entertain
And you have proved to be

A really great OP and a real hero
Really great OP and a real hero

Durante

Haven't bothered to even try it without the Durante patch. Is there a fix coming from the floor messages?
I'll investigate that tomorrow. I can't guarantee a quick fix though. First I need to find out what's causing it (while 99% of the HUD elements work fine) and then I need to fix it and not break anything else.

Fixing supersampling and probably DoF will come first, since I know exactly what needs to be done there.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
No words, the game looks really striking. No idea why they did a poor port job, good work Durante.

Peterthumpa

I might be waiting forever for the LOD but at the very very least the 60fps fix.

You're gonna miss one hell of a game because of this. Seriously, @ 30 FPS locked it really isn't that bad. Try it for yourself. And this is coming from someone who bitches a lot about FPS.

Top Bottom