• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Cetra

When someone releases a 60fps fix, and a fix for either the DOF or LOD, I'll buy this game, not before.

I might be waiting forever for the LOD but at the very very least the 60fps fix.

What do you have for a cpu, because it's more cpu bound.

Core i5 2500k, totally not overclocked cause this room in the summer is just WAY too warm for it.

LiK

I'll investigate that tomorrow. I can't guarantee a quick fix though. First I need to find out what's causing it (while 99% of the HUD elements work fine) and then I need to fix it and not break anything else.

Fixing supersampling and probably DoF will come first, since I know exactly what needs to be done there.

keep up the good work!

Vitor711

Is it possible to do something about low fps on near minimum pc requirements?

I've got a decent machine, if old and I have weird spikes.

I can max out most multiplatform games at 1920x1080 and get it at a smooth 30 FPS (Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders 2 being the more recent examples) and while performance is generally smooth in Dark Souls, it suddenly drops to 15 or 20FPS whenever any HDR seems to appear. It's really inconsistent.

Haven't tried it without the Durante fix though so maybe that's causing the issues. I'd be surprised though - game doesn't seem too taxing.

I'm also running a mobile GPU which, while fast compared to most, Nvidia drivers are a little out of date with no profiles for recent games so that might fix it for me too with any luck.

Cetra

Get a better cooler, 2500k oc'd to 4.5 is easy as fuck to do and with a good cooler it barely raises any temps.

Aye, but the ambient in here is about 78-82 most days. Looking to get a Noctua ASAP, but ... textbooks just owned by funds. We'll see.

So everything relatively closeby looks outstanding, but environments in the distance are super pixelated. I assume that will be one of the next things on the list?

Peterthumpa

I'll investigate that tomorrow. I can't guarantee a quick fix though. First I need to find out what's causing it (while 99% of the HUD elements work fine) and then I need to fix it and not break anything else.

One thing I've noticed... both the messages and the menu places where there's dynamic texts are not displaying correctly, or in other words... static texts like button prompts, stats and so on are ok. Only texts that changes over and over (like the messages) are having this problem.

At least I think so.

Oreoleo

Good on ya, Durante. I'm sure I'll use this some day, so thanks in advance. The locked resolution was definitely the most egregiously backwards thing From could have done with the port.

Perkel

Banned
It's amazing that textures used for ps3 and 360 were that detailed.
With better resolution we see way better textures (because it isn't blurry mess)

Also those screens are amazing.

Fixing supersampling and probably DoF will come first, since I know exactly what needs to be done there.

Sounds good.

Thanks

Game looks great and now I'm genuinely conflicted. I swore I wouldn't buy the game at launch, because of the fixed resolution, but that's hardly an issue now. I wish there was some way to show that if I do buy the game right now it was becasue of this fix.

Ciastek3214

Back against the wall and odds
With the strength of a will and a cause
Your pursuits are called outstanding
You're modding apex
Against the grain of dystopic claims
Not the thoughts your actions entertain
And you have proved to be

A really great OP and a real hero
Really great OP and a real hero

I DO NOT NEED!
(he does not need)
A PATCH FROM FROM!
(a patch from FROM)
DARK SOULS IS FUCKING
(fucking)
MODDABLEEEEEEEE!

I DID NOT MEAN!
(he did not mean)
TO BLOW YOUR MIND!
(blow your mind)
BUT THAT SHIT HAPPENS TO ME!
ALL THE TIIIIMEEEEE!

WELL TAKE A LOOK
(take a look)
TELL ME WHAT DO YOU SEE
(what do you see)
WITHOUT THE FIX
FROM DURANTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Melody here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdKoXXg6FFE

Eyothrie

This is probably a dumb question, but with the DSfix in place and the .ini set to 1920x1080, do I need to set the in game resolution to anything specific (for best results) or is the in game res just being overridden?

Core i5 2500k, totally not overclocked cause this room in the summer is just WAY too warm for it.

Behold, the Noctua nh-d14, easily one of the best if not the best heatsink and fan assembly on the market:

16153024447l.jpg

Put that in you system and don't give a damn about the heat again! Well, that is, if you can fit it in your case....

imageview.php

The framerate drops are weird when they come, the framerate drops right to 15. If I alt tab leaving the game window still fullscreen visible in the background the framerate jumps back to 30. Something weird is happening and I think it may be related to when the white phantoms appear.

antitrop

690 GTX, i5-2500k @ 4.6GHZ.

I don't believe a card anywhere near this powerful is needed to get good results though. Card isn't even drawing anymore power while playing. GPU usage is 40%. Like I mentioned earlier, it's like it's running a flash game.

Yeah, the DOF effect looks pretty bad at times.
My GTX 590 is running at idle temperatures in the middle of the game, very interesting.

antitrop

Behold, the Noctua nh-d14, easily one of the best if not the best heatsink and fan assembly on the market:

Put that in you system and don't give a damn about the heat again! Well, that is, if you can fit it in your case....[/IMG]
I have one of those, running my i7-2600k stable at 4.8ghz.

It was totally a pain in the ass to install, though.

Cetra

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2010/03/16153024447l.jpg[IMG]

Put that in you system and don't give a damn about the heat again! Well, that is, if you can fit it in your case....

[IMG]http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=21163[IMG][/QUOTE]

Do want. o_o

LiK

16153024447l.jpg

imageview.php

man, that thing is huge. no room for that lol

Teknoman

It seems like the higher you set the internal res, the more the words disappear. Before I tried something higher than just matching my max screen res (1440x900), the words were just half way cut off, and all button prompts appeared just fine.

epmode

16153024447l.jpg

imageview.php
I have one of those. And yeah, it was totally a bitch to install. But oh god it's a good heatsink.

EasyMode

I'm done for the night. Runs at a pretty consistent 30fps at 2560x1600 supersampled on my i5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz and GTX 580. Blighttown performance is better than consoles but there's still slowdown in certain locations.

For the most part, the textures hold up nicely. I look forward to some sort of fix for the depth of field.

Thanks again Durante!

Cetra

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2010/03/16153024447l.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=21163[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="HomerSimpson-Man, post: 41349214"]Seriously, it's a monster. I can't recommend it enough if your system can accommodate it. You're not going to need another fan/heatsink for future builds, it's a complete beast.

It's damn near overkill for overclocking a Sandy-bridge chip.[/QUOTE]

It should fit on my Carbide just barely I would imagine. I'll see about snagging one for sure once I recover from tuition and textbooks, lol.

lexi

Banned
I installed a heatsink like that before... Never again.

I use an Antec Kuhler now. 100x easier to install + silent and efficient water cooling.

Ceebs

Ugh, I love Noctua, but I hate hard to install heatsinks.

Especially this, bane of my existence.

I have one and thought it was the easiest to install heatsink I have ever used. I bought low profile ram knowing I was adding it and made sure it would fit the rest of my MOBO before ordering.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I know it's been said plenty already, but excellent work Durante. I had initially cancelled my pre-order from GMG because of this but picked it up on Steam after seeing your work.

epmode

I installed a heatsink like that before... Never again.

I use an Antec Kuhler now. 100x easier to install + silent and efficient water cooling.

Water cooling is a little too hardcore for me. My understanding is that maintenance is required and I like to avoid that wherever possible. A monster heatsink is as far as I'll go.

hahaha wtf

It's very weird. They aren't your normal drops due to too much going on. Something triggers them suddenly and the game drops right to 15 fps and stays until something triggers it to go back to 30. Alt-tabbing to another window and tabbing back usually triggers it to jump back to 30 fps, sometimes it will just happen on it's own. I can stand completely still when the drop to 15 occurs, not move an inch alt-tab to Chrome and then back and right back up to 30. It's crazy and frustrating because 90% of the time it's perfect. If that problem is solved with a driver or something I will be ecstatic.

lexi

Banned
Water cooling is a little too hardcore for me. My understanding is that maintenance is required and I like to avoid that wherever possible. A monster heatsink is as far as I'll go.

It's progressed to an incredible point. Water cooling used to be the realm purely for enthusiasts with a massive radiator and tank and all sorts of crazy shit.

jZvMl.jpg

This is what water cooling looks like these days.

Top Bottom