• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Durante

Add data.exe from dark souls folder to msi afterburner's osd application list (settings > on-screen display tab > more)

After that click it on the list and click the wrench icon, then enable compatibility with modified Direct3D runtime libraries. Click OK.

While you're there change on-screen display coordinate space to framebuffer to fix the osd positioning.
You can now close the msi afterburner's osd list.

With this I can still run msi afterburner osd and DSfix without any problems.
This is fantastic advice! Can I add it to the readme?

Manac0r

Any idea of how much can i super-sample with a gtx580.
Before buying i'm still gonna wait a few more days though, to see if people are having serious problems more down the line in the game.

As my my monitor is 2560 x 1600, I tried doubling it to 5120 x 3200. And it was a little choppy, with slight frame rate dips. But at 2560 x 1600 with v.2 and fxaa and some AA forced on in Nvidia Cp, constant smooth 30fps. The games looks bloody great.

I have another two 580's but this game doesn't like Sli at all. Unless someone knows a working profile?

Wanny

I confirm. We have to completely shutdown overclock programs now. OSD off only isn't doing it anymore.

edit: NVM fix above apparently.

1-D_FTW

judging by the screenshots in this thread... I doubt it :x

Really? Because people who've posted SS shots (Sethos comes to mind) make it look real good to me. Obviously it won't look as good in motion (since high fps makes graphics pop), but I think it looks very good in screens (so long as you're not trying to isolate single textures and deliberately being picky).

Wanny

Add data.exe from dark souls folder to msi afterburner's osd application list (settings > on-screen display tab > more)

After that click it on the list and click the wrench icon, then enable compatibility with modified Direct3D runtime libraries. Click OK.

While you're there change on-screen display coordinate space to framebuffer to fix the osd positioning.

I just tried and it seems to work fine for now! I'll keep updated if I get any crashes.

Durante

This is my favourite shot so far (taken by felipepl):
iBQgYYc24StuX.png

Alex

Yes, with the Master Key you're there in a minute.

It definitely runs way smoother than the console version, but in some instances still limits you to 15 fps which sucks.

Are you on an ATI card? Friend was messing there on a GTX 470 @ 2560x1440 and says its constant 30 for him.

Are you on an ATI card? Friend was messing there on a GTX 470 @ 2560x1440 and says its constant 30 for him.

I have a GTX 460 that's factory overclocked to almost a GTX 470. It gets chuggy once you get all the way to the back and attract some enemies.

I can try to take a vid of it.

tborsje

Thanks for 0.2!

In terms of performance, I seem to stay locked at 30fps.
My rig is a:
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.4GHz (2.66GHz stock)
GTX570 stock
4GB RAM
Windows running on a SSD
Steam and Game on an old HDD

Running the game at 2880x1620, downsampled to 1080p.

Really? Because people who've posted SS shots (Sethos comes to mind) make it look real good to me. Obviously it won't look as good in motion (since high fps makes graphics pop), but I think it looks very good in screens (so long as you're not trying to isolate single textures and deliberately being picky).

yeah... upon further inspection, time to give my new credit card a try...

Anyone running this game on a 2.4GHZ Quad Core at 720p? I want to know the performance with this rig...

I'm kinda in the same situation, except I have a quad core i5 750 @ 2.66ghz. I know this game is really CPU dependent, and what I have doesn't match the speed of the requirements, and I'm not so sure it utilizes all 4 cores...

Phinor

An hour or so into the game with an ATI 6970 at 1080p and it's been smooth sailing so far, solid 30. I actually tried the game for a bit without the fix and it was playable but obviously with the fix it actually looks good. You are selling a ton of copies with that fix so hopefully the donations are trickling in.

I've no idea what I'm doing in the game but I'm enjoying it a lot. I prepared myself for dying a lot and have managed to die couple of times already so that's good.

GJS

Does afterburner use rivatuner SS for the OSD? If it does I guess this will work with EVGA precision OSD as well.

Durante

Yeah, it can get kinda blurry. Is it a DOF issue with the new resolution fix, or is it just me?
It's the same as before.

The problem isn't that the DoF resolution gets worse with the fix, it's that it stays the same. And all "easy" attempts to fix it cause artifacts. I'm still working on it though, but first I'll release 0.3 which makes AF optional (for those with performance issues) and a few other tweaks.

Maedhros

I'm kinda in the same situation, except I have a quad core i5 750 @ 2.66ghz. I know this game is really CPU dependent, and what I have doesn't match the speed of the requirements, and I'm not so sure it utilizes all 4 cores...

I would know if I was at home. I'm at work right now, so I can't test.

didamangi

Does afterburner use rivatuner SS for the OSD? If it does I guess this will work with EVGA precision OSD as well.

Yup, if you have that option in evga I think it will work too.

Oh, and another thing. Make sure your power option is set to high performance in windows before playing dark souls.
I have mine on balanced and my fps drops in some places, high performance and I get almost consistent 30fps.

I've only seen this behavior in one other game that I play, Sonic Adventure DX (lol)

My specs are pretty low:
Phenom II X4 945 3GHz
4GB DDR 2
AMD HD 6850

Playing at 2560x1600 downsampled to 1680x1050 xD

web01

I am playing on a dual core e6700 @2.6 and 560ti, Dark Souls resolution 1080p.
It reaches 30fps most of the time and does dip but is very playable.

Since this is basically the Dark Souls technical thread, I'll post this video I made here.

Anyone else experiencing weird sound? Things like footsteps that sound like they are right next to you and other environmental weirdness like in my video?

I played the hell out of Dark Souls on the PS3 months ago but don't remember if the sound was like that on the consoles or not.

Also, the 0.2 version has worked almost flawlessly for me. Still a few kinda random drops here and there but it works fantastically for the most part. Thanks again!

Jeramii

Banned
thank you kindly.

the new update everything is working perfect for me. also one thing i don't know if anyone pointed out. but you can roll through a giant stack of barrels without losing your framerate (where as you couldn't on dark or demon's souls).

i'm so happy.

Revoh

Goddamn I'm stuck at work for 10 more hours, I want to play Dark Souls so so bad
No life weekend incoming. Will turn my phone off, get tons of coffee and 0 sleep.
Should be good.

web01

Since this is basically the Dark Souls technical thread, I'll post this video I made here.

Anyone else experiencing weird sound? Things like footsteps that sound like they are right next to you and other environmental weirdness like in my video?

I played the hell out of Dark Souls on the PS3 months ago but don't remember if the sound was like that on the consoles or not.

Also, the 0.2 version has worked almost flawlessly for me. Still a few kinda random drops here and there but it works fantastically for the most part. Thanks again!

Do you have surround sound turned on in your windows sound settings / realtek audio drivers or something similar.

Jeramii

Banned
btw. how do i actually get the fps count running at the top right of my screen like some of you guys have. i can visually see its running fine. but i just want to actually see what's it's doing for the sake of knowing.

hlhbk

I will be sure to try this when I pick the game up for $5 off a Steam sale. I won't support the crappy job the devs did by paying pull price for this game.

jarosh

Ok, that worked. Thanks!

Basing your game language on that windows setting (instead of, hey, "Language") seems supremely stupid, but OK!

That's a GFWL thing, I think. Plenty of other GFWL games do this. It is very stupid, but not surprising, especially for games ported from the 360. It's essentially the same infrastructure, so "lazy" ports without in-game language settings fall back to the OS's regional setting, as they would by default on the 360. So if you ever come across the same problem with a GFWL game, you'll know what to do ;)

Card Boy

Banned
I will be sure to try this when I pick the game up for $5 off a Steam sale. I won't support the crappy job the devs did by paying pull price for this game.

5 bucks is my buy price aswell. I already clocked the game on PS3 and I see no reason to reward lazy, ignorant, disrespectfull developers and publishers with anymore than $5 on PC.

Top Bottom