• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

5 bucks is my buy price aswell. I already clocked the game on PS3 and I see no reason to reward lazy, ignorant, disrespectfull developers and publishers with anymore than $5 on PC.

Thirded. Will get during the steam sale, already bought on Ps3.

I know this is a question for the stupid gaming questions thread but I was running the game fine until I started messing around with the in game resolution settings. but I screwed it up now all i get is a black screen. I can still hear sounds moving the controller buttons but I cant see anything. can anyone help ?

disclaimer: I'm a pc gaming noob

Try turning off AA.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I know this is a question for the stupid gaming questions thread but I was running the game fine until I started messing around with the in game resolution settings. but I screwed it up now all i get is a black screen. I can still hear sounds moving the controller buttons but I cant see anything. can anyone help ?

ICYyZ.png

Steam doing a good job of informing people about the fix lol.

GAF/Durante making it big!

gdt

Probably, turn off ingame AA.

Lancelot

Great textures! Version 0.2 of Durante's RES MOD. You're the best!

renderWidth 4096
renderHeight 2304

Smooth with a single 580 GTX!

Now praying to get those DOF fixed! You can do it, Durante! Come on!

picture hosting

Great textures! Version 0.2 of Durante's RES MOD. You're the best!

renderWidth 4096
renderHeight 2304

Smooth with a single 580 GTX!

Now praying to get those DOF fixed! You can do it, Durante! Come on!

picture hosting

What cpu are you using? I tried 3840x2160 one the same card and everything is fine except for random crashes or stalls. I only have an oc'd i7 930 though.

Durante

Durante is an e-celeb now, isn't he
Next you know I'll get a twitter account, and write about what I think of [nation X] developers, which kickstarters I fund, and how terrible sexism in gaming is (or alternatively how terrible the people complaining about it are). Oh, and Windows 8. Did I miss anything?

What resolution would you all recommend for me. I normally run everything on 1920x1080 and I have never messed with down sampling. Just curious

Specs:

i7 OC'd to 3.0
6950 (2GB)

What resolution would you all recommend for me. I normally run everything on 1920x1080 and I have never messed with down sampling. Just curious

Specs:

i7 OC'd to 3.0
6950 (2GB)

I got the same specs and the game runs great at 2560x1440. I've also tried 3840x2160 and it worked, but I didn't notice much difference in IQ since I play 2m away from the TV.

Durante

I think I should clarify one thing:
If you remove the d3d9.dll at any point, my mod will no longer do anything. It makes no permanent changes to anything. You can always cleanly remove / re-add it. And if you experience any issues without having the d3d9.dll in the folder those issues are unrelated to the mod.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Next you know I'll get a twitter account, and write about what I think of [nation X] developers, which kickstarters I fund, and how terrible sexism in gaming is (or alternatively how terrible the people complaining about it are). Oh, and Windows 8. Did I miss anything?

The teaser trailer for your actual trailer for the documentary you're making about fixing Dark Souls.

Shito

I think I should clarify one thing:
If you remove the d3d9.dll at any point, my mod will no longer do anything. It makes no permanent changes to anything. You can always cleanly remove / re-add it. And if you experience any issues without having the d3d9.dll in the folder those issues are unrelated to the mod.
Yeah, I think you should add an "uninstall note" to your FAQ or something like that: I couldn't understand people talking about re-installing the game or such, seeing as it's just a file to add/remove. '__'

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
A glorious thing to wake up to, .2 version.

I don't use Afterburner for on screen display but if adding it to some kind of exception list is going to help then I will do it later.

As I said last night, the game is running smoother for me with occasional dips. I see that this is not necessarily an AMD thing since some nvidia folks are getting 15fps as well. On the positive site, my sweet spot for downsampling is 2560x1440. I can't ask for any better IQ nor do I feel like going higher. If AA is working via RadeonPro, the game already looks good with just the res increase. Having AA is icing.

*I'm on a 6970 and was having bad stuttering which seems to have improved but I'm not sure why.

Am I the only one crashing at startup? I reinstalled and still crash even with AA disabled. It only happens when I put the files of this fix into the DATA folder.

Really wish this worked for me, it looks so damn good.

Am I the only one crashing at startup? I reinstalled and still crash even with AA disabled. It only happens when I put the files of this fix into the DATA folder.

Really wish this worked for me, it looks so damn good.

Do you have MSI Afterburner running? OR D3Doverrider maybe?

You need to have a documentary made about how great you are, the experience you bring and how you intend to revolutionize gaming.

A glorious thing to wake up to, .2 version.

I don't use Afterburner for on screen display but if adding it to some kind of exception list is going to help then I will do it later.

As I said last night, the game is running smoother for me with occasional dips. I see that this is not necessarily an AMD thing since some nvidia folks are getting 15fps as well. On the positive site, my sweet spot for downsampling is 2560x1440. I can't ask for any better IQ nor do I feel like going higher. If AA is working via RadeonPro, the game already looks good with just the res increase. Having AA is icing.

*I'm on a 6970 and was having bad stuttering which seems to have improved but I'm not sure why.

Last night, for the last several hours the framerate was very stable for me except when the game was obviously loading new areas. This most often seems to happen in rooms with bonfires with multiple entrances and exits, which seem to be some sort of hub between areas. When you go in one direction or another you can tell the game is loading some portion of the world and during that load it chugs a little than stabilizes. The big random drops to 15 fps were always rare and I'm hoping that the suggestion earlier of pushing AA all the way works to somehow prevent those.

Whoa it's awesome to see that Durante's work even made it to the Steam news! :D And a bit unrelated but does MSI Afterburner (the OSD part of it) also for AMD cards? So far I have only seen it being used for nVidia cards.

Either way I can't wait to play later with 0.2 thanks again Durante! :)

Ledsen

Whoa it's awesome to see that Durante's work even made it to the Steam news! :D And a bit unrelated but does MSI Afterburner (the OSD part of it) also for AMD cards? So far I have only seen it being used for nVidia cards.

Either way I can't wait to play later with 0.2 thanks again Durante! :)

Steam news is basically an RSS feed that includes sites like rockpapershotgun (iirc), so it's not really "Steam" news if that makes sense. That particular news item is from PC Gamer if you look closely at the screenshot.

Steam news is basically an RSS feed that includes sites like rockpapershotgun (iirc), so it's not really "Steam" news if that makes sense. That particular news item is from PC Gamer if you look closely at the screenshot.

Ohh alright I get it now and when I think of it it's actually quite smart of Steam to do it that way so they don't have to do all the things themselves :p

Jeramii

Banned
Ohh alright I get it now and when I think of it it's actually quite smart of Steam to do it that way so they don't have to do all the things themselves :p

either way. i would imagine that these articles have to go through some approval process. after all they probably wouldn't want some horrible article being posted.

i could be totally wrong though.

chiablo

I wonder if there could be the possibility of putting this into some kind of installer that also goes into the game's .ini file and disables AA and motion blur automatically so people will stop asking why it doesn't work.

ImRight

Hey guys Can somone PLEASE HELP ME in the video options i have no 1080p option in Full screen mode, It will only let me chose between 1280x720 16/32 bit, and if i uncheck Full screen it gives me a 1080p option but then reverts back if i check full screen!!!

This is seriously driving me crazy now i have seen a bunch of youtube videos where it is just automatically on 1080, AM I MISSING SOMETHING? is it some simple option in Catalyst or something???

could it be because i am running a 120hz monitor for some reason???

Have never played Dark souls before and im going insane here trying to get this working!!!! have not even tried using the fix yet after reinstalling the game completely AND A FRESH install of windows now :( Sigh*

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!

Hey guys Can somone PLEASE HELP ME in the video options i have no 1080p option in Full screen mode, It will only let me chose between 1280x720 16/32 bit, and if i uncheck Full screen it gives me a 1080p option but then reverts back if i check full screen!!!

This is seriously driving me crazy now i have seen a bunch of youtube videos where it is just automatically on 1080, AM I MISSING SOMETHING? is it some simple option in Catalyst or something???

Have never played Dark souls before and im going insane here trying to get this working!!!! have not even tried using the fix yet after reinstalling the game completely AND A FRESH install of windows now :( Sigh*

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!

I'm running it at 1080p on a 120Hz monitor without any issues of that sort, so that shouldn't be it.

Jeramii

Banned

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!

your monitor shouldn't change the options in the game. post a screenshot or something. are you trying to play in windowed mode or full screen? can you save each individual step and then back out of the menu, then go back in?

also. if its something breaking in the game menu itself. my first fix is always verify integrity of game cache (right click the game in steam and go to properties and it should be in one of those tabs. i'm not at my rig so i can't tell you for sure).

i'm just giving you advice as how i'd troubleshoot something like this. maybe someone else knows a fix.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!

For some reason whatever they are using to detect your available resolutions is not working properly. I wouldn't pull your hair out over it if this isn't an issue with other games. I suggest the solution I suggest earlier as a work around for this specific game (and all games really because Fullscreen windowed mode is almost always best when it works).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41353761&postcount=1009

ImRight

I'm running it at 1080p on a 120Hz monitor without any issues of that sort, so that shouldn't be it.

Wow, this is just pissing me off SO BAD is F'in ridiculous ........ i reformatted my whole C drive and resinstalled DS (and Everything else) deleted 200+gb of steam Dl's, and NOPE still wont do it .... FFS seriously if someone can fix this i will paypal them $5 ...LOL

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!

Try changing the values in the config file, it's located here

C:\Users\*your name~\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls\DarkSouls.ini

This is what I got:

[DisplaySetting]
WindowMode = 0

and

[DisplaySettingFullScreen]
Width = 1920
Height = 1080
ColorDepth = 32
Format = 7
RefreshRate = 60

either way. i would imagine that these articles have to go through some approval process. after all they probably wouldn't want some horrible article being posted.

i could be totally wrong though.

Well that makes sense too I suppose, else Valve could get in trouble, yeah.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!

You could try to use a tool to force the game into a borderless windowed mode such as:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2675769

Though I haven't tested it myself with Dark Souls yet but I would say it's worth a shot. :)

Oi, list your solution. I just stumbled upon the same problem but don't know how to fix it. Game boots without the fix, but keeps crashing even with version 0.1 of the fix.

Do you have any overlays or OSDs running such as FRAPS or Afterburner?

ImRight

For some reason whatever they are using to detect your available resolutions is not working properly. I wouldn't pull your hair out over it if this isn't an issue with other games. I suggest the solution I suggest earlier as a work around for this specific game (and all games really because Fullscreen windowed mode is almost always best when it works).

Hmm.... ok i guess just dont like the fact that it's not working properly :-/ really quite annoying as i am runningn a fairly High spec rig, but if thats how it has to be done for now i guess i will just start playing....... it seems crazy that i cant just select 1080p anyway why would they limit what i can select >.<, but i guess thats not as crazy as having it locked at under 720p render anyway.... anyone know were i could make a change in an ini/cfg to fix this by any chance ? i cant even find one in the DS dir

ImRight

Try changing the values in the config file, it's located here

C:\Users\*your name~\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls\DarkSouls.ini

This is what I got:

[DisplaySetting]
WindowMode = 0

and

[DisplaySettingFullScreen]
Width = 1920
Height = 1080
ColorDepth = 32
Format = 7
RefreshRate = 60

Ohhh Sweet Thanks dude i will have a look and see if it fixes it, i will seriously Love you long time if it does.

Top Bottom