• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Hey dude i dont suppose you have any other programs that i can try this one wont work :(

That's strange, it works for me.

This poster made a suggestion earlier with a similar but different utility:

You could try to use a tool to force the game into a borderless windowed mode such as:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2675769

Though I haven't tested it myself with Dark Souls yet but I would say it's worth a shot.

EasyMode

I'll just throw this out there, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but there seems to be some weird filter that adds a lot of noise(?) which at a distance seems to add a sandy texture to everything but really close up, it makes the character look weird and blurry. Is that something that could be potentially removed?

That's the low-res depth of field effect. Durante said he's working on improving it.

Shito

It's kind of ridiculous that one guy is releasing patches and patch updates that virtually everyone who purchased the game is going to use, and neither the developer or publisher has said anything about it
What do you want them to say?
Anything would make them look even dumber than they are now, so it's normal that their PR department would play the silence&wait game.
If they don't plan on releasing a patch themselves, they'll just say nothing and won't look any more stupid, and if they do plan on releasing a patch then they'll just wait for it to be ready to communicate on it.

Donated some bucks to Durante :)

Everyone should support his effort, a real champion in the PC community. I'll love to give you more cash man, but Euro is really expensive here.

ImRight

Well, i am about to try and request a return for this game soon guys, Wont let me set Resolution at 1080p in full screen, not render just actuall display size dont know why, and i cannot get anything else to force it into full screen windowed.... i see in the newest version of the fix there are options not to be used yet and one is Force Full screen, is there a chance this may fix my problem Durante? or am i just totaly screwd :(

Very nice work btw the SS's look AMAZING, Just wish i could see it for myself :-/ even in 1080 upsampled from 720 lol.... >.<

Ok, let me get this straight.

If I set both the mod and the game to be 1080p, then the image will be straight up 1080p?

If I set the mod to be something higher, and the game to be 1080p, the game will downsample the mod resolution into 1080p, similar to supersampling AA?

If so, what resolution should I go for if I want downsamling? Just 1920x1080p times two?

For your resolution, try 2560×1440, 3840×2160, or 4096x2304. Each step up will be more demanding on your hardware.

Jeramii

Banned
I'm gonna grab this after work, but I have no clue about downsampling.

Im running a Phenom 955 @ 3.2 with 560ti. What do you guys recommend I set the resolution at if I want to downsample but still maintain a good framerate?

honestly. just try doing 1920x1080 x2 for internal buffer. if its smooth. move it up x3 or x4. if its not move it down to 1920 x 1080.

you'll know if you're having success or not. it's very obvious when the framerate drops.

I'm gonna grab this after work, but I have no clue about downsampling.

Im running a Phenom 955 @ 3.2 with 560ti. What do you guys recommend I set the resolution at if I want to downsample but still maintain a good framerate?

I run almost the same rig (replace the 955 with a 965BE at 3.8). I'm on my work computer so I can't find the exact res but it was over 3000x2000. You can really crank it up. :D

chiablo

This is still my experience, even with the mod set to 720p or 1080p or anything else. As soon as I remove the mod from the folder, I get 30 FPS again.

:( I want to bask in Durante's glory, but I can't. I haven't tried v3 yet though.

I had a problem with the game not allowing me to chose the right resolution in the game options menu, I suspect this is because I have a 120Hz monitor. I had to go into the game's .ini file (located in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls) and manually set my resolution and monitor frequency. Now it works flawlessly.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Thank you, Durante. My character is called "Lady Durante" in your honor.

I also donated you 5 bucks. Keep up the good work!

TheExodu5

Banned
You know what? I'm kind of glad FROM botched it. Why? Because Durante's solution gives us very easy access to SSAA which we may otherwise not have had. The game looks truly incredible.

ImRight, talk to this guy. He had the same problem as you and fixed it:

I had a problem with the game not allowing me to chose the right resolution in the game options menu, I suspect this is because I have a 120Hz monitor. I had to go into the game's .ini file (located in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls) and manually set my resolution and monitor frequency. Now it works flawlessly.

Mupod

You know what? I'm kind of glad FROM botched it. Why? Because Durante's solution gives us very easy access to SSAA which we may otherwise not have had. The game looks truly incredible.

Yeah I thought I'd be fiddling with Inspector configs for days, but this is simple and effective. Can't wait to get home to try the fixed version, I really missed the player messages.

Grief.exe

Durante...I fell asleep pretty much playing Dark Souls last night.

I wake up and you have done so much. You are truly a gentlemen and a scholar.

Any nvidia inspector developments while I was asleep?

EndersAres

Neo Member
Awesome fix, it made my game run a lot smoother as well. I have an amd card and before I applied the fix it ran in a slowmo like state.

I can select the proper resolution and refresh rate just fine (1080p, 60hz), it's that I get 15 FPS no matter what with Durante's fix. So, for example:

Vanilla 720p: 30 FPS everywhere
DSfix @ 720p: 15 FPS
DSfix @ 1080p: 15 FPS
DSfix @ Over 9000p: 15 FPS

I get 15 FPS no matter what I do with DSfix enabled. :( AA is disabled.

I wonder if it has something to do with the upscaling to the in game setting resolution. Originally the game apparently upscaled from 1024 x 720 to 1280 x 720 and then from 1280 x 720 to your selected resolution. That seems like the only big difference between using Durante's fix @720p and Vanilla at @720p.

TheExodu5

Banned
I can select the proper resolution and refresh rate just fine (1080p, 60hz), it's that I get 15 FPS no matter what with Durante's fix. So, for example:

Vanilla 720p: 30 FPS everywhere
DSfix @ 720p: 15 FPS
DSfix @ 1080p: 15 FPS
DSfix @ Over 9000p: 15 FPS

I get 15 FPS no matter what I do with DSfix enabled. :( AA is disabled.

What are your system specs? What video drivers are you using? Do you have any special video settings in your driver control panel?

Vitor711

Last night, for the last several hours the framerate was very stable for me except when the game was obviously loading new areas. This most often seems to happen in rooms with bonfires with multiple entrances and exits, which seem to be some sort of hub between areas. When you go in one direction or another you can tell the game is loading some portion of the world and during that load it chugs a little than stabilizes. The big random drops to 15 fps were always rare and I'm hoping that the suggestion earlier of pushing AA all the way works to somehow prevent those.

Same issue here. I have a low end i7 mobile CPU paired with a decent GPU and am starting to think that that is the cause. Shame though, it mostly runs great apart from a few instances where the drop is really jarring.

Wanny

People with slowdowns should try to force their GPU to maximum clocks. The game is so light to run that GPUs stays underclocked.

TheExodu5

Banned
Re: frameratefix.

Since the game drops straight from 30fps -> 15fps (normally, it would drop from 30fps to 20fps), it's my postulation that there's specific logic in the game that time scales key-framed events by a factor of 2 when this jump occurs. If we want to force 60fps, the inverse probably needs to happen.

Just thought I would tell everyone because it is kinda bad ass.

Tried the game in 3d and the geometry and effects render with ZERO errors.

Beyond the lack of a 3d HUD the game is perfect basically.

The only problem really is when the camera clips with geometry which does not happen to often. All 3d vision users should try it out.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Can anyone help here? Maybe Im slightly retarded I read the instructions and placed the files in the right spot but I cant seem to get my game from flashing all over the place on start.

Im using a Nvidia 570gtx - Windows 8 RTM (testing)

What should the internal restitution be set at for a 1920x1200 display?

I tried this:

# internal rendering resolution of the game
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080

# texture filtering override
# 0 = no change, 1 = enable supersampling by downscaling, 2 = full AF override (may degrade performance)
filteringOverride 2

# Log level - 0 to 11, higher numbers mean more logging. Only enable for debugging
logLevel 0

Also None of the settings below this

###############################################################
# The settings below are not yet ready to use! #
###############################################################

should be touched right???

TheMixta43

Neo Member
I don't post here often but I just wanted to thank you so much for going out of your way to make this patch.

I'd been reading the threads weeks leading up to the release, and was growing more and more dissapointed with the feedback the PC version was garnering.

Although I didn't end up cancelling my pre-order (luckily too, because they removed it for Aussies on GMG), I was not looking forward to dealing with these issues upon release.

Now that it's out, and since you've patched it, I've had an amazing time so far in the PC version (double dipper here by the way). I can imagine how grateful those who have yet to experience it are now thanks to your effort.

Praise Durante!

ImRight

ImRight, talk to this guy. He had the same problem as you and fixed it:

Lol Thanks so much for helping out dude i just figured it out, i actually tried doing that edit to the Cfg file before but it didnt work, Its because im connected with a Display port cable, running 120hz, i just hooked up a hdmi and BAM!! it worked lol, im just abotu to try see if setting the DP cable connection to 100hz will make a difference.

Edit: It doesn't you must use a cable that will do 60hz, apparently

TL,DR If ur using a DP cable, Use soemthing Different!!! :D i am a happy chappy now about to witness the awsomeness of Dark souls for the first time Nevermind The awsomeness of Dark souls In Super/down sampled 1080p

THANKS TO DURANTE >.<

Any non Spoiler hints for a First timer?

Lol Thanks so much for helping out dude i just figured it out, i actually tried doing that edit to the Cfg file before but it didnt work, Its because im connected with a Display port cable, running 120hz, i just hooked up a hdmi and BAM!! it worked lol, im just abotu to try see if setting the DP cable connection to 100hz will make a difference.

TL,DR If ur using a DP cable, USe soemthing Different!!! :D i am a happy chappy now about to witness the awsomeness of Dark souls for the first time Nevermind The awsomeness of Dark souls In Super/down sampled 1080p

THANKS TO DURANTE >.<

Roll into barrels with NPC in them.

chiablo

TL,DR If ur using a DP cable, USe soemthing Different!!! :D i am a happy chappy now about to witness the awsomeness of Dark souls for the first time Nevermind The awsomeness of Dark souls In Super/down sampled 1080p

THANKS TO DURANTE >.<

Pyromancer is awesome. Head to the Dark Souls OT for gameplay tips.

Is there any way to get this information added to the patch's readme or the OT? I've seen quite a few people with similar problems.

Quikies83

Any one using this fix with a 6870 card? I played vanilla last night without any real issues -- some slowdowns here and there but nothing serious.
I'm running at 1680x1050 btw.

chiablo

Just thought I would tell everyone because it is kinda bad ass.

Tried the game in 3d and the geometry and effects render with ZERO errors.

Beyond the lack of a 3d HUD the game is perfect basically.

The only problem really is when the camera clips with geometry which does not happen to often. All 3d vision users should try it out.

69311c75_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpeg

This game would be perfect in 3D, I know what I'm doing tonight!

ImRight

Pyromancer is awesome. Head to the Dark Souls OT for gameplay tips.

Is there any way to get this information added to the patch's readme or the OT? I've seen quite a few people with similar problems.

Id have to agree with that as this just Cost me a good 4-5 hours of frustration and a Complete wipe of my C drive + Reinstall of windows..... Sigh*

Yes i may have been an idiot, but im sure someone else is going to /has run into the same problem and not thought of the obvious first :D

Vitor711

Now my game is stuck at a perpetual 15FPS.

Well, that sucks. Will try without the fix and see if that improves.

EDIT: Well, seems as though while I can get 30FPS without the fix, I get constant dips well below that whenever too many physics-y things are going on. I guess my CPU is the bottleneck here after all. Shame, guess I'll have to wait until I finally upgrade before I can play this.

ImRight

69311c75_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpeg

This game would be perfect in 3D, I know what I'm doing tonight!

May i ask how u are running 3d in 60hz? i dont think i can do that on my monitor....

Also are you using a program to launch it in 3d or just setting it to 2d > 3d on ur monitor or something?

any one else having sound issues with the game? I feel like there is a delay with the sound. For example when I slash and break a barrel, like .2 sec later Ill hear the sound of it breaking. Its slight but kind of annoying.

Grief.exe

Hmmm not sure downsampling is working for me.

Usually when I downsample, and take a screenshot. The screenshot comes out in 2560x1440 and then I have to shop it down.

Here, screenshots come out in 1080p, also doesn't look as sharp as when I generally downsample. Leads me to believe its not working. Any advice?

Tetsuo9

Same issue here. I have a low end i7 mobile CPU paired with a decent GPU and am starting to think that that is the cause. Shame though, it mostly runs great apart from a few instances where the drop is really jarring.
I have the same experience with my gaming laptop. My card is Nvidia 650M.

Top Bottom