• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Just wondering if I should play tonight or wait if some huge update is coming.

I doubt there will be another update really soon. He said the distance rendering issue could be awhile.

Game already looks and plays great if you have a good PC and get it configured well. Future changes will probably be more minor and fixing problems for people who have integrated graphics etc. I'd say go for it.

The game looks jaggy, but sharp thanks to this resolution fix. I'm playing Dark Souls on my laptop Nvidia 650m GT. Help anyone? :(

Edit: Dark Souls was jaggy before I applied Durante's fix.

Edit: By Jaggy, I mean the framerates are very low, perhaps around 10 per second.

Zzoram

My E8400 and HD4870 512MB 1680x1050 native display can't handle 2560x1600 internal render, pretty sluggish

1920x1200 gets some frame dips
1680x1050 is smoother

Zarx

I wonder if the guys at FROM have seen this yet, it would be interesting to see what they have to say about it.

TheExodu5

Banned
i have Everything turned to max in Radeon pro + 4 times 1080 render and mine dont look that good, i suspect its cause im wearing chain mail...... which looks kinda weird, i shall test this theory soon

What do you mean, 4 times 1080p render? What res are you running, exactly?

Grief.exe

The game looks jaggy, but sharp thanks to this resolution fix. I'm playing Dark Souls on my laptop Nvidia 650m GT. Help anyone? :(

Edit: Dark Souls was jaggy before I applied Durante's fix.

Edit: By Jaggy, I mean the framerates are very low, perhaps around 10 per second.

650m should be able to easily handle this game at 1080p.

What settings are you running? What drivers are you on?

"Jaggy" usually means there is a lot of aliasing

What you are experiencing is called frame rate drops.

i just doesn't like using controller with this kind of camera movement, but i guess i'll have to take out the dust of my controller, i've always use my pc for gaming, so i guess i'am just too used to kb+m

i just doesn't like using controller with this kind of camera movement, but i guess i'll have to take out the dust of my controller, i've always use my pc for gaming, so i guess i'am just too used to kb+m

Yeah, I use the m+kb whenever I can, but this game in particular just does NOT work with it at all. Using a controller is ace, though.

Jeramii

Banned
5DA4A65700170913987370DF2EA686B53286914C

I use an Asus GTX 570, and an intel i5 2500k.

I've got the buffer at 1920x1080, filtering override set to 2. I couldn't set the buffer to higher with filter override to 2. or it would cause the game to force 15 frames per second.

However, switching back to 1920x1080, and leaving 2 on. 30fps is no problem at all (zero drops, it's consistent throughout).
or having a higher buffer resolution, and setting it to 1.

:\ not sure. because i know my card can handle it. oh well. looks good regardless. can't wait for whatever updates and fixes come next. :)

(sorry I have the hud on, I prefer it on. though it makes screenshots less pleasing... i wish the hud weren't so massive).

UrbanRats

Played a bit, the framerate isn't stellar whichever resolution i choose, but it's playable (similar or even better than the console version).
I wonder if i should turn the AF setting to 1, instead of 2, what does it change in terms of IQ?
---
HUD off surely is something for screenshots only, right? How can you keep track of your stamina playing with HUD off?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Played a bit, the framerate isn't stellar whichever resolution i choose, but it's playable (similar or even better than the console version).
I wonder if i should turn the AF setting to 1, instead of 2, what does it change in terms of IQ?

That's just texture filtering. I rather have lower texture filtering going on and having a bigger native resolution rendering, as a bigger internal resolution already does wonder for textures.

JoeFenix

The game runs amazingly well for me at 3840x2400 with the 0.1 version of the MOD.

02 and 0.3 introduce this nasty framerate for me, tried so many things and nothing fixes it. Not sure what's going on here but for now I'm just playing with 0.1 and no messages.

accx

For people using mobile graphics cards with optimus, there was a fix in the comments section on Durantes site.
I can't find it anymore but i will keep searching.
Something about renaming the dll to something.

Will post it if i find it, but don't have much time looking for it. Please post it for others if you do find it.

EDIT:
I think this is it:
http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/549049-for-nvidia-optimus-users-guaranteed-fix-for-post-process-injectors-using-d3d9dll/

However, it seems to disable GFWL. Which means no saving.
I repeat
CAUTION, USING THIS FIX WILL DISABLE GFWL AND SAVES. (according to posts on Durantes site)

Durante

I just slept for 7 hours and now I have to approve/spam/trash 130 new comments on my blog. This is slightly overwhelming.

At least people here don't repeat the same issue/question 50 times!

Also, that screenshot is fantastic.

Durante

Durante are you rich yet from all the donations? LOL :) Great job once again.
Well, I'll say this: Australians are more generous than I ever knew.

The pattern is interesting though: on the first day the average per donation was ~5€, now it's closer to 2€. I guess it's the transition from ultra-enthusiasts to a slightly broader audience.

ImRight

Well, I'll say this: Australians are more generous than I ever knew.

The pattern is interesting though: on the first day the average per donation was ~5€, now it's closer to 2€. I guess it's the transition from ultra-enthusiasts to a slightly broader audience.

Heheh and there will be at least one more donation from an Aussie, Just waiting on my Pay dude...... Edit: Wow the Donate Page is in a different language lol :-/ ill figure it out

Seriously you must have Boosted the sales for this game by like half LOL

wwm0nkey

Heheh and there will be at least one more donation from an Aussie, Just waiting on my Pay dude......

Seriously you must have Boosted the sales for this game by like half LOL

I really think he did, the news of this fix was on almost every major game site so he probably turned a few people into buyers lol

ImRight

I really think he did, the news of this fix was on almost every major game site so he probably turned a few people into buyers lol

Yeah hey, Half might even be Underselling it i recon.

Alright sent some Euro's Durante's way, wish i could've paid less for the game and more for the fix ahahahah ^^

I loved the write up that Eurogamer did. Which, was essentially what you said about a week or so ago, how it's mind-boggling that the options of higher resolution wasn't there from day one. It's funny, as I remember you talking about it, but I had no clue, that you could back it up.

deleted

If I remember correctly from the Skyrim PC discussion, sales wise a game sold probably around 10 times the peak numbers in the steam stats?

Seems like the port is doing fine and should convince From to do more PC Ports for their games. I would be really interesting to see, how many people bought it because of this mod.

I don't have the game (yet), but thats some impressive work you did Durante.

I loved the write up that eurogamer did. Which, was essentially what you said about a week or so ago, how it's mind-boggling that the options of higher resolution wasn't there from day one. It's funny, as I remember you talking about it, but I had no clue, that you could back it up.

Wow unmodded PC actually looks worse than the 360 version. That's pretty ridiculous.
If I remember correctly from the Skyrim PC discussion, sales wise a game sold probably around 10 times the peak numbers in the steam stats?

Seems like the port is doing fine and should convince From to do more PC Ports for their games. I would be really interesting to see, how many people bought it because of this mod.

I don't have the game (yet), but thats some impressive work you did Durante.
Outside of the UK I don't even think the game ships with a Steam code, so there are even more untracked copies

To support FROM software's negligence is a spit to the face to developers like Remedy, who, not only took the time and effort win back the faith from the PC community but also willing to remove the dreaded GFWL DESPITE the fact it was built FROM (pun intended) the ground up with that particular service. No excuses FROM a company who not only sold excellently with a budget more humble than any other game that try achieve the same sales, which sadly most likely had a decent PC port ON TOP.

Thanks to Durante for making miracles. Will only buy the game through sale though only because I still respect the developers for making an awesome game.

Chinner

Banned
To support FROM software's negligence is a spit to the face to developers like Remedy, who, not only took the time and effort win back the faith from the PC community but also willing to remove the dreaded GFWL DESPITE the fact it was built FROM (pun intended) the ground up with that particular service. No excuses FROM a company who not only sold excellently with a budget more humble than any other game that try achieve the same sales, which sadly most likely had a decent PC port ON TOP.

Thanks to Durante for making miracles. Will only buy the game through sale though only because I still respect the developers for making an awesome game.
i share the same opinion as you. will buy when its on sale.

the ironic thing is that from software would use the poor sales of the pc version as an excuse not to develop for pc again, even though any poor sales will be caused by having a shit port.

Using this @ 1080p my games stutters occasionally and stays around 15fps. Has anyone else had performance problem on the Radeon HD 5850 Mobility?

Also with Radeon Pro im sure it wasn't working. The splash screen wouldn't show and i couldn't get the FPS to display in game.

Durantezilla Edition. Thanks to you.

Without fix I had strange slowdown from 30fps to 20fps because my gpu had a very low load going in a 2d status (6970 cfx 250mhz 150mhz).

With the fix the game works really good and the gpu stays everytime in 3d mode.

Ashler

Hey Durante. Thanks a lot for this fix and sharing, working great with my iCore 7 and 590GTX. Gonna send you a "couple" of good vibes via donation.

Peace.

Durante

Sorry to be an unworthy pleb and all... but is there anyway to just disable DOF and have that as an option in the .ini?
The way the game does it, disabling it is exactly as hard as fixing it. I may give the option for both when I get it fully working, but I'll have it default to enabled since that's what From intended.

Using this @ 1080p my games stutters occasionally and stays around 15fps. Has anyone else had performance problem on the Radeon HD 5850 Mobility?

Also with Radeon Pro im sure it wasn't working. The splash screen wouldn't show and i couldn't get the FPS to display in game.

I don't think this game likes laptops at all. I have a 680m and without the fix I get 30fps with stuttering and with it 15fps with constant stuttering. Makes me sad :(

Top Bottom