• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Narag

Hmm, dropped the v0.3 files into the right directory, log shows dsfix turning on, but the resolution seems unaffected in-game and I can't disable the mouse cursor with F9.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
From must love their bizarre route of down-sizing and then resizing frames for effects from the looks of that fucked up 2nd DOF shot. Need to get word to these japanese chappos that there are better ways!

Durante

Ok.

data-2012-08-25-13-05xwdis.jpg

I'm not perfectly happy, since I don't fully understand what's happening and the possible DoF resolutions are rather limited, but I think the result is good enough to release.

Need to add options now and do some more testing, expect a release later today.

Erethian

Can someone lead me to a site explaining how to downsample games?

Your Screenshots look awesome guys!!!

In the ini file for the fix set the resolution at a multiple of your output resolution (the one you set in the in-game settings)

So if your output resolution is 1920 × 1080 you would set the resolution in the ini file at 3840 x 2160. But depending on your specs you might set the internal framebuffer at 1.5 times the output resolution instead.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If you can get it working at 1080, 1.5x (1620p), and 2x (2160p), I think that'd be swell. Emphasis on 1.5x!

You are doing amazing work. Legendary GAF moments abounds. Each supersampled HUD-less shot in this thread is like solid PR gold for selling the game to PC Users.

Lancelot

This is so great! With DoF fixed it will be perfect! I'm dying to finally test it and see with my own eyes this greatness in realtime!

Ok.

data-2012-08-25-13-05xwdis.jpg

I'm not perfectly happy, since I don't fully understand what's happening and the possible DoF resolutions are rather limited, but I think the result is good enough to release.

Need to add options now and do some more testing, expect a release later today.

image.php

TTOOLL

Sorry to ask if you have already answered but do you hav AA and motion blur turned off in DS settings?

is your monitor usuing a DP cable? or running over 60hz?

Have you tried editing in your settings manually in the DS cfg file? (C:\Users\******\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls

??

Also make sure you haven't changed any of the settings under this section

###############################################################
# The settings below are not yet ready to use! #
###############################################################

# You can only set either forceFullscreen or forceWindowed (or neither)
# 0 = off, 1 = on
forceWindowed 0
forceFullscreen 0

# The following settings are only functional if either forceFullscreen or forceWindowed is enabled
# The display width/height
presentWidth 3840
presentHeight 2160
# turn on/off Vsync
enableVsync 0
# adjust display refresh rate in fullscreen mode - this is NOT linked to FPS!
fullscreenHz 60

The settings are ok, I haven't change anything. I'm not using Nvidia Inspector or anything.
I think it has something to do with the changes in the dll file. =(

Sethos

Banned
For the game to be perfect it needs a way to turn off letterbox and a HUD quick hide key.

Then I'll really dive into it.

Arucardo

Saw someone mention this already but Helix's 3D Vision fix combined with this is amazing, this game is perfect in 3D. Don't even mind the 30fps as much when running supersampled 1440p in 3D. Helps out in combat too since you have a better sense of depth.

1-D_FTW

Saw someone mention this already but Helix's 3D Vision fix combined with this is amazing, this game is perfect in 3D. Don't even mind the 30fps as much when running supersampled 1440p in 3D. Helps out in combat too since you have a better sense of depth.

Oh, shit. Now I'm being tempted to purchase right now.

I thought you could only run one d3d9.dll at a time. Has he combined them into one?

EDIT: Nevermind. A simple visit to Helix Mod explains all.

Durante

Oh, shit. Now I'm being tempted to purchase right now.

I thought you could only run one d3d9.dll at a time. Has he combined them into one?
It looks like the Helix modder (who seems awesome btw) has implemented a way in his .dll to chain load additional proxy .dlls. Genius really.

1-D_FTW

It looks like the Helix modder (who seems awesome btw) has implemented a way in his .dll to chain load additional proxy .dlls. Genius really.

Yeah. That dude is good. I really wish Nvidia would give him a job, although maybe he can do more good independently. Guy's an absolute genius at fixing 3d issues.

Jaleel

I don't think this game likes laptops at all. I have a 680m and without the fix I get 30fps with stuttering and with it 15fps with constant stuttering. Makes me sad :(

I feel you man. I'm running a laptop with a 680m and have same issue. Im so jealous of these screen shots here. Playing through without DSFix and enjoying the game still, but man....../cry

Save us Durante!

JanKowalski

Neo Member
Even a x1.25 internal resolution is an improvement, compared to no downsampling at all. I'm playing on a 9600GT and an old 17'' FS monitor (1280x1024), so I set 1600x900 internal and 1280x720 output (had slowdowns with x1.5 1920x1080 internal).

After the DOF is fixed all this game needs to be called a decent port is mouse look fix and rebindable mouse buttons.

Durante

data-2012-08-25-14-1494u3w.jpg

This is with DoF completely disabled. I'll have an option for that, but I don't recommend it -- I think the game looks better with DoF, it's the way From intended it to look and it's also better for performance.

Release in 15 minutes.

I don't think this game likes laptops at all. I have a 680m and without the fix I get 30fps with stuttering and with it 15fps with constant stuttering. Makes me sad :(
Its because the game runs on integrated graphics with or without the Fix. Major major issue because it seems like the game doesn't know what to do with Optimus.

Jaleel

Its because the game runs on integrated graphics with or without the Fix. Major major issue because it seems like the game doesn't know what to do with Optimus.

I'm at work but have you tried disabling the integrated gpu through device manager or the sort to see if it works? I want to test this now.

JanKowalski

Neo Member

This is with DoF completely disabled. I'll have an option for that, but I don't recommend it -- I think the game looks better with DoF, it's the way From intended it to look and it's also better for performance.

Release in 15 minutes.

So, what was the resolution they used for "background"? Was it really 512x360?

Also, why do people complain about the lock on system with K+M? It seems fine to me. I changed the key to R, O was totally stupid. Mouse look is really dreadful though.

Durante

So, what was the resolution they used for "background"? Was it really 512x360?
The default DoF pyramid is 16x16 -> 128x80 -> 256x160 -> 512x360 -> 1024x720. Note that this by itself is not unusual for a rendering resolution of 1024x720, it just looks particularly jarring once that resolution is increased.

legacyzero

Banned
In the ini file for the fix set the resolution at a multiple of your output resolution (the one you set in the in-game settings)

So if your output resolution is 1920 × 1080 you would set the resolution in the ini file at 3840 x 2160. But depending on your specs you might set the internal framebuffer at 1.5 times the output resolution instead.
So if I'm running 1600x900 in the actually game, what should I put in the .ini to down sample?

I fear I might be doing it wrong :(

1-D_FTW

Release in 15 minutes.

Agreed it does look better with it.

On a related note (no rush, whenever you get around to it. This is at the bottom of the list... including after catching up on your sleep): are your 3D monitors 1080P? When you have some free time could you post how the 660ti handles 3D with the mod? I'm just curious if it'll force dips to 15fps a lot more often.

Zzoram

I wonder what will be From's reaction when they will see these screenshots. They probably never saw their game that pretty.

Hopefully they shed tears of joy and then promise to do a short delay PC release of Dark Souls 2 as a proper port and fly Durante out to help them do the port.

Zzoram

So if I'm running 1600x900 in the actually game, what should I put in the .ini to down sample?

The .ini should have whatever resolution you want the game to render at. The in-game resolution option is what you want the game to display at.

If the render resolution is higher than the display resolution, you get downsampling which creates an edge smoothing effect like AA.

legacyzero

Banned

Release in 15 minutes.
That looks pretty clean actually, but yeah, it should be a bit blurry, not SUPER blotchy like the non modded version.

Looks amazing Durante. You are a hero among PC games. FROM really should patch your finished work in for everyone, and pay you for it. Srsly.

NBtoaster

I have both the in game setting and DSfix setting at 1440p for my 900p monitor. So there wont be a mix of different scaling methods and screens taken come out at 1440p and can be resized how I like.

Maybe I should try higher..

Internal resolution fix
DoF fix...

Now what?! Durante, checking this thread every couple hours astonishes me-

You are a hero among men and a saint among gamers worldwide.

Erethian

If the output to your monitor is 1600x900, you'd set an internal framebuffer in the ini of 3200x1800 for 2x supersampling, or 2400x1350 for 1.5x supersampling.

web01

If FROM or Namco Bandai does something nice for Durante, that will be the cheapest positive PR they could ever buy.

That would take acknowledging they released a faulty product no way in hell that is going to happen especially from Bandai Namco.

Top Bottom