• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

scitek

No you'd have to recompile it from the source, and no one's stepped up because the guy who made the injector has said that 2.7 is way too different and it's too much work. He also has not released his source code so everyone in the blogpost has no idea what to do.

Ah. I figured the one we use, which I've read is basically like 1xSMAA, was just like a free version, and the creator kept the better version to himself in hopes of selling it or something.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
SMAA ultra probably adds 10% GPU usage on my setup (7850 running at 2560x1600), making it run at 75% on the bridge of New Londo.

Funny thing is that, if I turn off forced 2X AA on catalyst, the game goes to an amazing 22FPS (as reported by DXTory, which I still don't understand since it's supposed to be either 30 or 15, but whatever) standing on the same place. You can clearly notice the slowness. If I turn 2x AA back on, everything is well and I get rock solid 30fps.

If I set the resolution up to 3840x2400, game slows down A LOT, to around 15 FPS. I'm thinking I can't run at that resolution. Forcing 2x AA on the Catalyst Drivers only made it even slower and added 10% GPU usage at 15fps.

Another funny thing I noticed: When I first load the game, sometimes the FPS drops slightly when entering an area for the first time, but once I pan the camera arround, it never slows down in that area again, even if I leave and come back. Maybe it's something to do with loading textures from my slow ass SATA2 drives.

Didn't see a damn difference by turning SMAA to disabled, high or ultra . Other than small jumps in GPU Usage % that is.

Here's a SMAA Ultra, 2560x1600 rendering, forced 2x AA on Catalyst, forced 16x Aniso on Catalyst screenshot. I guess I'll try playing the games with those settings, but this is running at 75% GPU, which I believe is a little near the edge. With no SMAA, I didn't even get slowdowns on the Bonfire Particle Effects. Didn't test it yet with SMAA.

I think the dots on the belt thing on the back are kinda ugly. Setting the resolution higher helps, but then it's unplayable. Click for native res:

Best thing about all of this is the Developer/Publisher logo skip. :D

Sullichin

I have the internal resolution as 2560x1440 and in-game 1920x1080. I really can't notice a difference with SMAA on or off. Maybe I just don't know what to look for, but it looked really smooth already.

Grief.exe

I have the internal resolution as 2560x1440 and in-game 1920x1080. I really can't notice a difference with SMAA on or off. Maybe I just don't know what to look for, but it looked really smooth already.

It might not be noticeable unless you know what you are looking for, especially when downsamping. When you do that it naturally gives a version of suerpsampling aa to the image.

Adding SMAA on top of downsampling will give an extra level of smoothness, but not necessarily needed.

Its probably harder to notice in motion rather than still shots, but look at straight lines such as your sword, armor, or architecture and the difference should be apparent.

Well, my apologies if I was "being rude". I have this pet peeve with people ignoring me. If I ask a question, I usually expect an answer. I don't see how what I am asking for is a silly request. If I am the only person that would make use of it then yes I am willing to bet it is a silly request. But I highly doubt I am the only person with a monitor + TV setup that doesn't want the taskbar+icons to show up on the secondary display.

Chill out. This guy is doing it all by himself. You think there aren't other people that didn't immediately get their questions answered? Get off that high horse and appreciate what has been done so far.

Not only is he doing this by himself but he is only a hobbyist, with a separate day job, other obligations, and I'm sure wants to play the game as well.

Settle down, listen to Catabarez, and appreciate some of the time and effort that went into this. Better yet, donate.

Kyodan

Neo Member
As mentioned by someone earlier, I, too, am getting some banding shadows. Pay attention to the gate - it looks like a diagonal pattern is going across it.

screenshot_2012-09-05_00-09-39.jpg

I'm on a GTX 570 with the latest drivers (301.42). I'm not sure if it's a result of the fix, but I have a feeling it's not. I'm just curious if anyone is having the same issue. I'm running the game at 2560x1440, with DOF at 1080 if that is of any help. AF at default, no SSAO. SMAA at 2.

Gah, performance in my rig is shit, framerate dips all around the place, and it should not be so bad (Phenom x2 550 black edition plus Radeon HD 4870), even without the fix runs bad...maybe driver issues? oh well...some tips would be appreciated

Durante

Durante question!

Does the SMAA integration use the the 2.6 that the injector uses, or the 2.7 provided by the original developer (the one that contains SMAA S2x and 4x features)?
2.7 apparently also has better performance I hear.
It's the latest version available from the developer (git revision 80a26e9). Note though that it only uses SMAA1x.

Ah. I figured the one we use, which I've read is basically like 1xSMAA, was just like a free version, and the creator kept the better version to himself in hopes of selling it or something.
No, it's all directly available from his git repository.

Also Durante, can you remap the button to something else? I use f5 with fraps to take screenshots, I'd like to be able to put it to like, the insert key or something funky.
Changing the keybindings is on my list of things to do.

set forced texture filtering to 0
I think I'll remove that completely for 1.0

Can I make a screen cap request please?

I need a shot similar to this but, obviously, in a higher res:

Dark-Souls-600x337.png

Just a shot of a "street scene" in Undead Burg looking uphill with the background.

I need it as a reference for a project I'm working on, you'd really be helping out!

Thanks *.*

FtsH

Both SLI and surround setting work now! I think I will play the whole game again :) ..and make a lot of screen caps.
too bad my computer won't run the game at 11520x2160 internal resolution...but that might be too much to ask for, I guess...

data2012-09-0509-11-45yoic.jpg

data2012-09-0509-10-1d2r07.jpg

So Durante will 1.0 bring 60fps?

:)

If I'm following correctly he said that trying to unlock the frame rate really screws up the 'speed' of the game, making it unplayable. So I think he's no longer pursuing it. Honestly it doest need 60, it's a really smooth 30 in the end.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Andrea23

If I'm following correctly he said that trying to unlock the frame rate really screws up the 'speed' of the game, making it unplayable. So I think he's no longer pursuing it. Honestly it doest need 60, it's a really smooth 30 in the end.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

I agree.

The only thing that still bothers me is this strange way the game handles the double/triple buffer :(. I really hope that sooner or later Durante (or someone else?) will be able to find the magic trick.

As mentioned by someone earlier, I, too, am getting some banding shadows. Pay attention to the gate - it looks like a diagonal pattern is going across it.

I'm on a GTX 570 with the latest drivers (301.42). I'm not sure if it's a result of the fix, but I have a feeling it's not. I'm just curious if anyone is having the same issue. I'm running the game at 2560x1440, with DOF at 1080 if that is of any help. AF at default, no SSAO. SMAA at 2.

I have this exact same problem, I thought that maybe my color depth was set to 16bit but after checking the game's ini file I can see that it is set to 32. Hopefully someone can find out why :( the banding looks particularly bad on my spider shield.

S0N0S

This maybe outside of the scope of the project or maybe someone else knows some trick to do this, but is there anyway to force Dark Souls audio to continue playing while in the background(alt+tab'd out)?

Can I make a screen cap request please?

I need a shot similar to this but, obviously, in a higher res:

Dark-Souls-600x337.png

Just a shot of a "street scene" in Undead Burg looking uphill with the background.

I need it as a reference for a project I'm working on, you'd really be helping out!

Thanks *.*

Will these help? I can get higher res ones if needed or I can reposition myself for a different angle.

http://i.minus.com/imBSg5SJsk8E6.bmp
http://i.minus.com/i9fRQCgWGqBUU.bmp
http://i.minus.com/i1VzjTHn1E7NS.bmp

Orayn

I think Dark Souls is just rife with ugly banding shadows, to be honest. They're pretty much omnipresent in the outdoor areas of Anor London.

I think Dark Souls is just rife with ugly banding shadows, to be honest. They're pretty much omnipresent in the outdoor areas of Anor London.

Hmm now thinking about it, it might be the dynamic contrast system they use, I didnt notice them until Blightown...

zkylon

zkylewd
Durante, sorry for asking something that's clearly stated in the .ini, but I can't find the backup saves. I've even done a PC wide search for "*.bak" files and nothing shows up :/ (Steam version, Win 7 64 bits here).

How I set the ini, in case I've missed something:
# enables save game backups
# 0 = no backups
# 1 = backups enabled
# backups are stored in the save folder, as "[timestamp]_[original name].bak"
enableBackups 1

# backup interval in seconds (1500 = 25 minutes)
# (minimum setting 600)
backupInterval 1500

# maximum amount of backups, older ones will be deleted
maxBackups 10

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Durante, sorry for asking something that's clearly stated in the .ini, but I can't find the backup saves. I've even done a PC wide search for "*.bak" files and nothing shows up :/ (Steam version, Win 7 64 bits here).

How I set the ini, in case I've missed something:

C:\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls\*YOUR GFWL ID*\

They should be in there along side the regular saves.

I was confused until I realized "NBGI" is "Namco Bandai Games Incorporated".

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I'll remove that completely for 1.0

Probably for the best. I feel the setting itself is fairly nebulous since I can't quite figure out what the impact is of setting it to 1 or 2...if there is any impact it's extremely minimal when combined with whatever other settings we're running (be it SSAA, OGSSAA, SGSSAA, and driver forced AF).

zkylon

zkylewd
C:\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls\*YOUR GFWL ID*\

They should be in there along side the regular saves.

I was confused until I realized "NBGI" is "Namco Bandai Games Incorporated".
Thanks, but it seems like it hasn't backed anything up then :/

In any case, I gotta format my PC and I want to back up my saves, if I copy everything up from that folder and then past it back up will GFWL mind?

Ledsen

Wait... I thought the game had like 16x AF by default? It doesn't? If I force it through Inspector, it doesn't have a profile, so which .exe should I use data.exe or darksouls.exe?

EasyMode

Wait... I thought the game had like 16x AF by default? It doesn't? If I force it through Inspector, it doesn't have a profile, so which .exe should I use data.exe or darksouls.exe?

data.exe

Edit:

Also, you can add these values to enable AO and AA.

Ambient Occlusion Compatibility: 0x00000003 (Fallout 3)
Antialiasing Compatibility: 0x004000C0

TheExodu5

Banned
I really need to learn how to make a d3d9 injector...I'd love to apply CRT shaders to d3d based emulators (that don't already support such shaders).

I really need to learn how to make a d3d9 injector...I'd love to apply CRT shaders to d3d based emulators (that don't already support such shaders).

Sorry for the ignorance but why?

I remember activating scanline mode on zsnes back in the day and it looked horrible, do you not like the clean look emulators give?

Maybe im not understanding correctly what you want hehe.

kinggroin

Banned

I remember activating scanline mode on zsnes back in the day and it looked horrible, do you not like the clean look emulators give?

What he's talking about and what zsnes did, are not the same.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Gonna hijack his answer with a reply that points to a previous message of his that explains what he means!

He's talking about the "Natural Vision" shader for emulators:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40884688&postcount=186

While I think it's mostly good (look at the differences in the flames), I still think it's a bit too blurry (check out the White armored dude. Too blurry!)

Gonna hijack his answer with a reply that points to a previous message of his that explains what he means!

He's talking about the "Natural Vision" shader for emulators:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40884688&postcount=186

While I think it's mostly good (look at the differences in the flames), I still think it's a bit too blurry (check out the White armored dude. Too blurry!)

Oh wow, yeah that looks good, removes most of the pixelation and still looks pretty clean.

TheExodu5

Banned

There are different approaches to CRT shaders. Scaline emulation is only one aspect (one that I don't personally care for).

I don't think a lot of pixel art was meant to be seen in raw form...pixel art was designed with CRTs in mind. Pixel art becomes much more legible once you factor in what a CRT does to an image. Also, the NTSC standard had a big impact on how colors were displayed on a CRT TV...emulators don't take this into account.

Examples:

Final Fantasy VI
raw (native 5:4 aspect ratio):
ff6_bad2.png

blaarg's NTSC shader - RGB setting (4:3 aspect ratio):
ff6a_scaled2.png

extreme closeup raw:
p1.png

extreme closeup NTSC shader (notice how this is far more legible...notice the apparent increase in shadow detail as well):
p2.png

Zelda:
Not a released shader, AFAIK, but an impressive work in progress nonetheless:
zeldaaq.png

Suikoden II:
raw (notice the dithering):
raw.png

Natural Vision shader:
nv.png

There are different approaches to CRT shaders. Scaline emulation is only one aspect (one that I don't personally care for).

I don't think a lot of pixel art was meant to be seen in raw form...pixel art was designed with CRTs in mind. Pixel art becomes much more legible once you factor in what a CRT does to an image. Also, the NTSC standard had a big impact on how colors were displayed on a CRT TV...emulators don't take this into account.

Examples:

Final Fantasy VI

Zelda:

Suikoden II:

God I love emulators, preserving gaming of yesteryear for the future generations as close as the source material as possible.

This is amazing work, I hope you get around to doing this.

TheExodu5

Banned
Last time I checked, Dark Souls is not a 16-bit era game. Off topic much?

We're talking about using d3d injection to implement shaders in applications besides Dark Souls. Not quite thread worthy (at least, until we have something to work with)...this seemed like an appropriate place to discuss it, since the means are similar.

Anyways, won't veer off topic further. I'll hold on to my thoughts and work up a proper thread at some point.

Durante

We're talking about using d3d injection to implement shaders in applications besides Dark Souls. Not quite thread worthy (at least, until we have something to work with)...this seemed like an appropriate place to discuss it, since the means are similar.

Anyways, won't veer off topic further. I'll hold on to my thoughts and work up a proper thread at some point.
Just postprocessing an entire output image is the simplest kind of "injection" (most of the methods aren't really injection, that's the reason for the scare quotes). When I release the DSfix sources it should be possible to get that up and running fairly easily.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just postprocessing an entire output image is the simplest kind of "injection" (most of the methods aren't really injection, that's the reason for the scare quotes). When I release the DSfix sources it should be possible to get that up and running fairly easily.

That would be pretty awesome!

I'll have to research shader programming in the meantime.

Top Bottom