• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Grief.exe

Durante, I think you should update your pictures in the OP.

Do one for 720p upscaled (same as you have now)

Second will be native 1080p (same as you have now)

Third will be downsampled from 3367x1894 to 1920x1080, SMAA, 16x AF

Just to show how your mod has progressed, would be awesome.

Whenever I try and launch this game nothing happens, if I try enough it eventually starts but at the minute it's just not having any of it.

I think Quote had the same problem, how did you fix it? It's driving me crazy.

I had to reinstall Windows, which resulted in me having to drag and drop the old save file to the new directory GFWL created for the game. It seems to work fine, should I be worried that this is going to crap out on me in the future?

Whenever I try and launch this game nothing happens, if I try enough it eventually starts but at the minute it's just not having any of it.

Are you on Windows 8?

I had to reinstall Windows, which resulted in me having to drag and drop the old save file to the new directory GFWL created for the game. It seems to work fine, should I be worried that this is going to crap out on me in the future?

Are you on Windows 8?

7, I have tried changing compatibility and running as admin. I just want to play this amazing game.

chiablo

I had a similar problem. If you have multiple displays, disable the secondary.

catabarez

Just fixed my issue, but I have another question.

I have my internal set at 4800x2700 (so 2.5x native) Should I change my DOF to something higher like 1080?

Edit: actually also what is the best internal Res for my setup?

GTX 670 FTW
8 gb RAM
I5 2500k @ 4.4

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Durante, I think you should update your pictures in the OP.

Just to show how your mod has progressed, would be awesome.

I was bored so I followed suite...use these if you want Durante :)!

1) Default settings, 1024x720 render resolution @ 1920x1080

1024x720xozqm.png

2) 1920x1080 render resolution @1920x1080, 1080 dof setting, no smaa

1920x1080ybxmv.png

3) 6400x3600 render resolution @ 1920x1080, 1080 dof setting, ultra smaa

6400x3600ultrasmaa91yg1.png

4) Bonus : 35 mb png showcasing the difference between unmodded/console resolution and 6400x3600 superimposed on eachother at their respective native resolution.

Risette

A Good Citizen
There are different approaches to CRT shaders. Scaline emulation is only one aspect (one that I don't personally care for).

I don't think a lot of pixel art was meant to be seen in raw form...pixel art was designed with CRTs in mind. Pixel art becomes much more legible once you factor in what a CRT does to an image. Also, the NTSC standard had a big impact on how colors were displayed on a CRT TV...emulators don't take this into account.

Examples:

Final Fantasy VI

Zelda:

Suikoden II:
None of these are any match for the MAME HLSL filter:
This isn't your typical fakescanline/geometry/crappy NTSC filter, it is a 8-pass filter written from a great understanding of how CRTs work. Takes into account both temporal and spatial effects.

You should look into that if you plan on doing your own shader thing.

epmode

I just went from version 0.6 to 0.91 and I'm getting crashes nearly every time I alt-tab back into the game. filteringOverride is set to 0.

In fact, I've barely played with any options. Resolution, dofOverrideResolution and disableCursor are all that I've touched.

I am, however, using X360CE to emulate a 360 controller. The game detects it and it works fine but I'm not sure if it's contributing to the crashes. I feel like it may be considered a wrapper like you mentioned in the instructions.

Durante

The crash issue when alt-tabbing from fullscreen mode seems to have been introduced in 0.9. I'll look into it ASAP, but I'm swamped with work currently.

For now, people who had the issue tell me that it doesn't happen when you enable SMAA, so you could try that.

I just went from version 0.6 to 0.91 and I'm getting crashes nearly every time I alt-tab back into the game. filteringOverride is set to 0.

In fact, I've barely played with any options. Resolution, dofOverrideResolution and disableCursor are all that I've touched.

I am, however, using X360CE to emulate a 360 controller. The game detects it and it works fine but I'm not sure if it's contributing to the crashes. I feel like it may be considered a wrapper like you mentioned in the instructions.

I'm getting crashes to desktop on .91 too. The only option I changed was resolution.

epmode

The crash issue when alt-tabbing from fullscreen mode seems to have been introduced in 0.9. I'll look into it ASAP, but I'm swamped with work currently.

For now, people who had the issue tell me that it doesn't happen when you enable SMAA, so you could try that.
You are a lovely person. Alt-tabbing works again.

In related news, I found out that SMAA1x does not affect my framerate! And the intro skip is SO NICE.

Gvaz

Banned
Sorry for the ignorance but why?

I remember activating scanline mode on zsnes back in the day and it looked horrible, do you not like the clean look emulators give?

Maybe im not understanding correctly what you want hehe.
He wants to emulate CRT.

Not really him, but for some reason the fuzzy CRT look is more appealing than the clear fidelity you get from a LCD.

Also the Zelda picture: I can smell the goddamn ozone from that picture.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Personal preference. I'm not really crazy about screen curvature or filters that replicate scanlines or CRT color cells.
It's completely customizable, it has 30+ options to modify.

So you can set scanlines to 0 and the color covergence to minimal levels (you should still push it around a bit though) etc.

(i'm guessing this offtopic discussion is still okay)

zkylon

zkylewd
Durante, sorry for asking something that's clearly stated in the .ini, but I can't find the backup saves. I've even done a PC wide search for "*.bak" files and nothing shows up :/ (Steam version, Win 7 64 bits here).

How I set the ini, in case I've missed something:
# enables save game backups
# 0 = no backups
# 1 = backups enabled
# backups are stored in the save folder, as "[timestamp]_[original name].bak"
enableBackups 1

# backup interval in seconds (1500 = 25 minutes)
# (minimum setting 600)
backupInterval 1500

# maximum amount of backups, older ones will be deleted
maxBackups 10
Sorry to bother with this again, but I can't seem to make backuping work. Am I missing something?

Orayn

3) 6400x3600 render resolution @ 1920x1080, 1080 dof setting, ultra smaa

6400x3600ultrasmaa91yg1.png

DAT IQ! I'm a little weirded out by how much the texture clarity improves due to downsampling, compared to the same scene at native res. What's the reason for that?

Is it normal that the game has some stuttering when turning the camera quickly at the beginning of areas? According to fraps it goes down to 26-27 fps and then resumes with a perfect 30. Not sure what to do against this. :( Happens in all the resolutions.

7850 with i7, SSD + 16gb ram.

NZNova

Has anyone had any luck getting this working on a nvidia surround/amd eyefinity setup? I'm trying to get it working via flawless widescreen, but not having much luck.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Anyway, laptop I mentioned a few pages back that ran this game relatively well on Intel integrated graphics runs about the same with the latest fix applied @1600x900 native res. Borderless windowed mode seems to keep performance around 28-18fps (depending on areas, but this includes Blighttown). So yay for my wife being able to screw around, not that she'll ever invest the time to beat it.

Still can't believe it runs playable on integrated graphics...

Edit: Also thanks to whoever posted the sound fix, worked fine with Realtek, haven't tested it out on my gaming rig/s yet though, different soundcards and all.

Durante

Did anyone manage to make the mouse mod and this work together?

Edit: Ok, i found what the problem is:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2910072

Both mods use a file called DINPUT8, so installing one inevitably fucks up the other. V04 is fine though, but it lacks of all the awesome tweaks v09 has. Would it be possible to fix this? It would be really helpful to those of us who are playing with mouse and keyboard.
I've fixed this already the moment I made it a direct input wrapper. Read the .ini.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Made a comparison GIF of your shots, Corky, hoppas det är ok!

1024x720xozqm5fpte.gif

I was so genuinely surprised when I saw how much texture detail was "there" so to speak. Obviously some of the assets aren't made for super high res viewing but many ( like that axe or other weapons/armors ) have amazing attention to detail paid to them that are hidden in the muddy, blurry out of the box version...

Falxix

I've been trying to keep up with this thread as well as possible so I'm not sure if this problem has happened to anyone else. But I'm running dsfix 0.9.1 and when I look at a certain spot within the Darkroot Gardens, a little away from where you meet Alvina, my screen melts into a blue and white blob. And when I look away the screen goes back to normal. In this picture, I'm right next to Shiva, looking over a cliff.

Durante

I've been trying to keep up with this thread as well as possible so I'm not sure if this problem has happened to anyone else. But I'm running dsfix 0.9.1 and when I look at a certain spot within the Darkroot Gardens, a little away from where you meet Alvina, my screen melts into a blue and white blob. And when I look away the screen goes back to normal. In this picture, I'm right next to Shiva, looking over a cliff.
Quite a few people have reported this, but I couldn't reproduce it on my system. I have a few adjustments in 1.0 that could fix it, but since I can't test them on my system I don't know if they help.

Truant

Yeah, I saw this in Darkroot while farming the catbros. I thought I died and went to heaven for a short while. The screen just bloomed up in blue and white for two seconds.

Zzoram

Quite a few people have reported this, but I couldn't reproduce it on my system. I have a few adjustments in 1.0 that could fix it, but since I can't test them on my system I don't know if they help.

I had that issue as well, very briefly. I didn't rest my camera on that angle so maybe that's why I only saw it flash by.

I have a Radeon HD4870 if that matters.

downsampling
skipintro
fullscreen borderless window
smaa 1
hide and lock cursor

Top Bottom