• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Can someone maybe help me please?

I was playing Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on Steam with no issues. No framerate issues or anything like that. I had a friend come over and they told me I NEEEEEDED to get the DSFIX. I relented and said fine and downloaded and installed it but after that my game chugged, I was at the bonfire before the Taurus Demon boss on the bridge and my game goes to shit as soon as I walk out by the bowman and the 3 assholes that throw molotovs from above.

I had no issues at all before DSFIX but now its garbage and unplayable. I have tried uninstalling the whole game, deleting everything I could find related to Dark Souls and DSFIX and all the NGID or whatever folders and all that but nothing work. The game is now still running like shit even though DSFIX is, to the best of my knowledge, no where to be found.

Any help is welcome, I was really enjoying it so far and would love to start up again.

Thank you.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can someone maybe help me please?

I was playing Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on Steam with no issues. No framerate issues or anything like that. I had a friend come over and they told me I NEEEEEDED to get the DSFIX. I relented and said fine and downloaded and installed it but after that my game chugged, I was at the bonfire before the Taurus Demon boss on the bridge and my game goes to shit as soon as I walk out by the bowman and the 3 assholes that throw molotovs from above.

I had no issues at all before DSFIX but now its garbage and unplayable. I have tried uninstalling the whole game, deleting everything I could find related to Dark Souls and DSFIX and all the NGID or whatever folders and all that but nothing work. The game is now still running like shit even though DSFIX is, to the best of my knowledge, no where to be found.

Any help is welcome, I was really enjoying it so far and would love to start up again.

Thank you.

All you should need to do to disable DSFix is either remove or rename the DINPUT8.dll from your Dark Souls install directory.

Any other issues you have afterwards can't really be attributed to DSFix I don't think, because at that point it is no longer running.

Would you mind posting your specs? I'd be curious what your working with.

I'm getting drops to 55fps running at an internal of 2160p, and yet my gpu (980ti) and cpu don't ever exceed 60% usage??

DS also seems to crash on start if I set DOF to 1080 at anything other than 2160p internal res.

You should take a screenshot.
I've just noticed, there appears to be a light on the character.

eot

Banned
I'm getting drops to 55fps running at an internal of 2160p, and yet my gpu (980ti) and cpu don't ever exceed 60% usage??

DS also seems to crash on start if I set DOF to 1080 at anything other than 2160p internal res.

You're not going to get 100% CPU usage on a quad core, assuming that's what you have.

Buburibon

In my experience there's no way to achieve a locked 60fps at 2160p no matter how you try and brute force it. In fact, it drops below 60fps for me even at 1080p during the
Asylum Demon
boss fight early in the game.

I'm on 5820K/Titan X btw.

All you should need to do to disable DSFix is either remove or rename the DINPUT8.dll from your Dark Souls install directory.

Any other issues you have afterwards can't really be attributed to DSFix I don't think, because at that point it is no longer running.

Would you mind posting your specs? I'd be curious what your working with.

I thought I did that when I uninstalled and deleted all the folders and what not, could I have missed something?

I can't see what else it could be since it was running absolutely fine with no issues before installing DSFIX.

Specs? Uhh lets see, have an i5 4460, an AMD 6800 series, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD and Windows 8.1.

Thank you again.

Houndi101

Durante I just want to thank you for your work with Dark Souls 1, primo stuff.

top-gun-tom-cruise-thumbs-up.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I thought I did that when I uninstalled and deleted all the folders and what not, could I have missed something?

I can't see what else it could be since it was running absolutely fine with no issues before installing DSFIX.

Specs? Uhh lets see, have an i5 4460, an AMD 6800 series, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD and Windows 8.1.

Thank you again.

Yeah sorry, as long as your

Code:
Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA
directory doesn't have a DInput8.dll file, I don't think DSFix has any way of hooking into the game. Perhaps be sure there is no d3d9.dll file either, as that is another common hooking method but aside from those I can't imagine anyway DSFix could have an effect.

Might be a dumb question, but have you restarted your PC since launching the game with DSFix? Maybe that is somehow related.

At the very least, using DSFix's framerate unlock capped at 30 with all other settings set to off/resolution 1280x720 should give near identical performance, except when framerate drops below 30 it should be smoother since it won't immediately display 15.

So if after being certain DSFix is uninstalled it still isn't running well, I'd recommend re-installing DSFix then tweaking the settings even lower than standard + 30fps unlock.

Yeah sorry, as long as your

Code:
Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA
directory doesn't have a DInput8.dll file, I don't think DSFix has any way of hooking into the game. Perhaps be sure there is no d3d9.dll file either, as that is another common hooking method but aside from those I can't imagine anyway DSFix could have an effect.

Might be a dumb question, but have you restarted your PC since launching the game with DSFix? Maybe that is somehow related.

At the very least, using DSFix's framerate unlock capped at 30 with all other settings set to off/resolution 1280x720 should give near identical performance, except when framerate drops below 30 it should be smoother since it won't immediately display 15.

So if after being certain DSFix is uninstalled it still isn't running well, I'd recommend re-installing DSFix then tweaking the settings even lower than standard + 30fps unlock.

I will do all that you suggested. Thank you so much.

Aceofspades

Banned
I don't know where to ask this question but I'm running into major fps slowdowns, I just started the game on steam after playing BB but I just couldn't get smooth fps at all.

I'm running it on my ultrabook with i7-4200 and intel HD Graphics card. I have yet to apply the fix but I was just wondering if my rig would be able o get smooth fps on any resolution.

zewone

If applying DSfix and unlocking framerate causes me to get slowdown and for the game to tell me that my FPS are too low for online play, my laptop is probably now powerful enough, right?

It runs playable without the fix. probably 20-25 fps.

Parsnip

If applying DSfix and unlocking framerate causes me to get slowdown and for the game to tell me that my FPS are too low for online play, my laptop is probably now powerful enough, right?

It runs playable without the fix. probably 20-25 fps.

Without the unlock you probably running either 30 or 15, nothing in-between.

Did you change any dsfix settings? The defaults will bump your resolution to 1080p so that would make you run worse with dsfix. I think it also changes soem DoF stuff by default, which will also decrease your performance at least a little bit.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Its worth noting that if you have poor performance DSFix is worthwhile because you can also lower the resolution, and still unlock the framerate. If your computer is really bad, you could probably lower the resolution a bit and lock the framerate to a stable 20fps and use rivatuner alongside borderless windowed mode. Assuming the game holds 20fps it'll look and run as stable as Ocarina of Time did on N64, so at least it's playable, though obviously not ideal.

The point is DSfix can help lower performance as well as higher performance machines.

zewone

Without the unlock you probably running either 30 or 15, nothing in-between.

Did you change any dsfix settings? The defaults will bump your resolution to 1080p so that would make you run worse with dsfix. I think it also changes soem DoF stuff by default, which will also decrease your performance at least a little bit.

I changed the setting in dsfix for the internal resolution to be 1024x720 like how it is without patch.

The DoF stuff is on the highest performance possible option.

I guess I could try lowering the internal resolution even lower, but it seems like unlocking the framerate is the issue, for whatever reason.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just did a 20fps test and the game is totally playable. Just went around and did some practice parries, here's a short video clip showing some off. I also went and tried on some balder nights as well and its doable. About 8 consistent parries in a row before I killed it.

http://orig07.deviantart.net/cb2a/f/2015/201/f/f/out_by_aloooo81-d922k5l.webm

This should be a good config for low-spec PC's if you're willing to make some of those sacrifices to quality. Slightly lowered resolution, framerate capped at 20. I used Rivatuner to ensure the 20fps cap and played in borderless windowed mode. I would also recommend using the minimal HUD if you're at this res, because they take up a hell of a lot of the screen.

Code:
# You can configure DSfix by editing this file
# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by the program and contain descriptions of the options

###############################################################################
# Graphics Options

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1024
renderHeight 720

# The display width/height
# 0 means use the same resolution as renderWidth/Height
# (use for downscaling - if in doubt, leave at 0)
presentWidth 1280
presentHeight 720

############# Anti Aliasing

# AA toggle and quality setting
# 0 = off (best performance, worst IQ)
# 1 = low 
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
# 4 = ultra (worst performance, best IQ)
aaQuality 0

# AA type
# either "SMAA" or "FXAA"
aaType SMAA

############# Ambient Occlusion

# Enable and set the strength of the SSAO effect (all 3 settings have the same performance impact!)
# 0 = off
# 1 = low
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
ssaoStrength 0

# Set SSAO scale
# 1 = high quality (default)
# 2 = lower quality, lower impact on performance
# 3 = lowest quality, lowest impact on performance
ssaoScale 1

# Determine the type of AO used
# "VSSAO" = Volumetric SSAO (default, only option pre-1.9)
# "HBAO" = Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion
# "SCAO" = VSSAO + HBAO
# "VSSAO2" = Volumetric SSAO with more samples (tweaked by Asmodean)
# VSSAO and  HBAO types have a slightly different effect. and similar performance
# SCAO combines both, with a higher performance impact
# VSSAO2 is generally more accurate, but also requires more performance
ssaoType VSSAO

############# Depth of field

# Depth of Field resolution override, possible values:
# 0 = no change from default (DoF pyramid starts at 512x360)
# 540 = DoF pyramid starts at 960x540
# 810 = DoF pyramid starts at 1440x810
# 1080 = DoF pyramid starts at 1920x1080
# 2160 = DoF pyramid starts at 3840x2160
# higher values will decrease performance
# do NOT set this to the same value as your vertical rendering resolution!
dofOverrideResolution 0

# Depth of Field scaling override (NOT RECOMMENDED)
# 0 = DoF scaling enabled (default, recommended)
# 1 = DoF scaling disabled (sharper, worse performance, not as originally intended)
disableDofScaling 0

# Depth of field additional blur
# allows you to use high DoF resolutions and still get the originally intended effect
# suggested values:
# o (off) at default DoF resolution
# 0 or 1 at 540 DoF resolution
# 1 or 2 above that
# 3 or 4 at 2160 DoF resolution (if you're running a 680+)
dofBlurAmount o

############# Framerate

# Enable variable framerate (up to 60)
# NOTE:
# - this requires in-memory modification of game code, and may get you banned from GFWL
# - there may be unintended side-effects in terms of gameplay
# - you need a very powerful system (especially CPU) in order to maintain 60 FPS
# - in some  instances, collision detection may fail. Avoid sliding down ladders
# Use this at your own risk!
# 0 = no changes to game code
# 1 = unlock the frame rate
unlockFPS 1

# FPS limit, only used with unlocked framerate
# do not set this much higher than 60, this will lead to various issues with the engine
FPSlimit 20

# FPS threshold
# DSfix will dynamically disable AA if your framerate drops below this value 
#  and re-enable it once it has normalized (with a bit of hysteresis thresholding)
FPSthreshold 0

############# Filtering

# texture filtering override
# 0 = no change 
# 1 = enable some bilinear filtering (use only if you need it!)
# 2 = full AF override (may degrade performance)
# if in doubt, leave this at 0
filteringOverride 0

# HUD options

# Enable HUD modifications
# 0 = off (default) - none of the options below will do anything!
# 1 = on
enableHudMod 1

# Remove the weapon icons from the HUD 
# (you can see which weapons you have equipped from your character model)
enableMinimalHud 0

# Scale down HuD, examples:
# 1.0 = original scale
# 0.75 = 75% of the original size
hudScaleFactor 0.75

# Set opacity for different elements of the HUD
# 1.0 = fully opaque
# 0.0 = fully transparent
# Top left: health bars, stamina bar, humanity counter, status indicators
hudTopLeftOpacity 0.8f
# Bottom left: item indicators & counts
hudBottomLeftOpacity 0.75f
# Bottom right: soul count 
hudBottomRightOpacity 0.5f

# Window & Mouse Cursor Options

# borderless fullscreen mode 
# make sure to select windowed mode in the game settings for this to work!
# 0 = disable
# 1 = enable
borderlessFullscreen 0

# disable cursor at startup
# 0 = no change
# 1 = off at start
disableCursor 0

# capture cursor (do not allow it to leave the window)
# 0 = don't capture
# 1 = capture
# (this also works if the cursor is not visible)
captureCursor 0

# Save Game Backup Options

# enables save game backups
# 0 = no backups
# 1 = backups enabled
# backups are stored in the save folder, as "[timestamp]_[original name].bak"
enableBackups 0

# backup interval in seconds (1500 = 25 minutes)
# (minimum setting 600)
backupInterval 1500

# maximum amount of backups, older ones will be deleted
maxBackups 10

# Texture Override Options

# enables texture dumping
# you *only* need this if you want to create your own override textures
# textures will be dumped to "dsfix\tex_override\[hash].tga"
enableTextureDumping 0

# enables texture override
# textures in "dsfix\tex_override\[hash].png" will replace the corresponding originals
# will cause a small slowdown during texture loading!
enableTextureOverride 0

# Other Options

# skip the intro logos
# this should now be slightly more stable, but should still be
# the first thing to disable in case you experience any problems
skipIntro 1

# change the screenshot directory
# default: . (current directory)
# example: C:\Users\Peter\Pictures
# directory must exist!
screenshotDir .

# override the in-game language
# none = no override
# en-GB = English, fr = French, it = Italian, de = German, es = Spanish
# ko = Korean, zh-tw = Chinese, pl = Polish, ru = Russian
# this does not work in Windows XP!
overrideLanguage none

# Dinput dll chaining
# if you want to use another dinput8.dll wrapper together
# with DSfix, rename it (e.g. "dinputwrapper.dll") and put the new name here
dinput8dllWrapper none
# dsmfix.dll

# D3D adapter override
# -1 = no override
# N = use adapter N
# this setting is for multiple (non-SLI/crossfire) GPUs
# everyone else should leave it at -1
d3dAdapterOverride -1

# Log level - 0 to 11, higher numbers mean more logging
# only enable for debugging
logLevel 0

# The settings below are not yet ready to use!!               

# You can only set either forceFullscreen or forceWindowed (or neither)
# 0 = off, 1 = on
forceWindowed 0
forceFullscreen 0

# turn on/off Vsync
enableVsync 0
# adjust display refresh rate in fullscreen mode - this is NOT linked to FPS!
fullscreenHz 120

nilbog21

Banned
hey guys ive been trying to play Dark souls for a week but the performance is terrible even with DSfix.

fraps says I have 55-60fps but it just runs very poorly on 1920x1080, when I use mouselook there are giant jagged horizontal lines that go up and down the screen even though my AA is set to 4 (highest). I don't really know what is going on but this is unplayable

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
hey guys ive been trying to play Dark souls for a week but the performance is terrible even with DSfix.

fraps says I have 55-60fps but it just runs very poorly on 1920x1080, when I use mouselook there are giant jagged horizontal lines that go up and down the screen even though my AA is set to 4 (highest). I don't really know what is going on but this is unplayable

those jagged horizontal lines sound like screen tearing.

I would try to lower the settings such that you could lock 60fps, then use borderless full screen mode.

nilbog21

Banned
those jagged horizontal lines sound like screen tearing.

I would try to lower the settings such that you could lock 60fps, then use borderless full screen mode.

I fixed the screen tearing with borderless window thank you.

however, there is just something wrong with the mouselook. Mouse smooth is enabled, but it just feels very stuttery and janky unlike DS2 which felt VERY SMOOTH and perfect. I'm running this game at 55-60fps but it just doesnt feel smooth and its driving me nuts.. When I disable mouse smoothing in dsmfixgui.exe it's even worse, so I know it's at least doing something ..

However, it's very smooth when its at constant 60fps.. but when it drops to 50 or 55 fps it feels like a GIANT drop in FPS and feels like <30fps

Is downscaling more effective than AA or a mixture of both? Are there any good comparisons for AO, I can't seem to spot the difference in game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I fixed the screen tearing with borderless window thank you.

however, there is just something wrong with the mouselook. Mouse smooth is enabled, but it just feels very stuttery and janky unlike DS2 which felt VERY SMOOTH and perfect. I'm running this game at 55-60fps but it just doesnt feel smooth and its driving me nuts.. When I disable mouse smoothing in dsmfixgui.exe it's even worse, so I know it's at least doing something ..

However, it's very smooth when its at constant 60fps.. but when it drops to 50 or 55 fps it feels like a GIANT drop in FPS and feels like <30fps

My understanding is just that in general the MKB support in Dark Souls 1 is not very good. I haven't used it much personally so I can't tell you if what you're experiencing is normal or not, but I just know that from short quick attempts I made in the past, it felt really bad.

SOLDIER

What's the best way to get v-sync working on this game? I've tried D3DOverrider and the ini setting, but nothing is working.

Gbraga

What's the best way to get v-sync working on this game? I've tried D3DOverrider and the ini setting, but nothing is working.

Activate Borderless Fullscreen on DSfix.

You can force vsync in Fullscreen mode, but it'll add an undesirable amount of input lag.

SOLDIER

Tried borderless fullscreen and set the priority to "High" on D3D, still not working.

Edit: I found this fix from a Steam thread.

If you dont want borderless fullscreen, then set the game to vsync in catalyst/nvidia settings and set the maximum fps of the game to 64 in the dsfix ini
it will vsync it to 60 without tearing.

That did the trick.

I_D

I realize this isn't quite the best thread for this, but the official thread hasn't been bumped in ages.

A friend and I are trying to do another play through in Dark Souls for the first time since GFWL was removed, and we'd totally forgotten how much of a godsend DSCfix was.

We tried every Hamachi and Tunngle guide we could find, including changing the Steam download region, but nothing seems to make cooping with a friend any better.

Anybody have an ideas, or do we just have to place our signs down a million times until we get lucky?

I realize this isn't quite the best thread for this, but the official thread hasn't been bumped in ages.

A friend and I are trying to do another play through in Dark Souls for the first time since GFWL was removed, and we'd totally forgotten how much of a godsend DSCfix was.

We tried every Hamachi and Tunngle guide we could find, including changing the Steam download region, but nothing seems to make cooping with a friend any better.

Anybody have an ideas, or do we just have to place our signs down a million times until we get lucky?

I improved the connectivity between me and my brother (he lives around 300 km away) after opening all the required Steam ports (except the CoD ones) in our routers and changing our download region in Steam to the same LAN Event, either LAN Event Europe or USA (or whatever suits you best).

After that the summons became pretty much instant. Signs appeared pretty quick and we could summon and invade each other's game in a matter of seconds. It did wonders for me.

I_D

I improved the connectivity between me and my brother (he lives around 300 km away) after opening all the required Steam ports (except the CoD ones) in our routers and changing our download region in Steam to the same LAN Event, either LAN Event Europe or USA (or whatever suits you best).

After that the summons became pretty much instant. Signs appeared pretty quick and we could summon and invade each other's game in a matter of seconds. It did wonders for me.

Gonna give it a try. I think I did it all correctly. I did it through Windows Firewall as opposed to going into my router settings, but I can do that too if this doesn't have any effect. Thanks a bunch.

Dark Souls is very... dark for me. Just got to Anor Londo and it's very dark indeed. Do Nvidia drivers still have video level switching bugs? Levels are set to auto on the TV.

moniker

Dark Souls is very... dark for me. Just got to Anor Londo and it's very dark indeed. Do Nvidia drivers still have video level switching bugs? Levels are set to auto on the TV.

When I played it a while ago the in-game gamma/brightness setting was busted in fullscreen mode on my Nvidia 750m (it was always dark regardless of the setting). Using DSfix with borderless window fullscreen fixed the issue.

When I played it a while ago the in-game gamma/brightness setting was busted in fullscreen mode on my Nvidia 750m (it was always dark regardless of the setting). Using DSfix with borderless window fullscreen fixed the issue.
Yes, I noticed the brightness slider doesn't work in fullscreen. I could still see the pattern in the dark section of the image mind. I was wondering if DSFix was darkening some aspects (AO?).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
How do I get 2560x1080 working? :( I just get a black screen when I try setting it to that res.

It needs to be used alongside flawless widescreen or widescreen fixer, but I don't believe it's been updated to work with the latest version of Dark Souls.

Okay, so I've moved everything into the data folder and I'm running this at 1920x1080. For the gameplay, however, the screen reverts to this:

2TUJVaG.jpg

It does appear as normal in the inventory/equipment menus though. I don't have a 120 Hz monitor so it can't be the issue mentioned in the OP. Have I screwed something up?

Parsnip

Okay, so I've moved everything into the data folder and I'm running this at 1920x1080. For the gameplay, however, the screen reverts to this:

2TUJVaG.jpg

It does appear as normal in the inventory/equipment menus though. I don't have a 120 Hz monitor so it can't be the issue mentioned in the OP. Have I screwed something up?

Disable in-game AA.

oK5057m.gif

SOLDIER

Is x360ce the only method to get a PS4 controller working with this game?

I ask because while it works, it also means I get no rumble. Is it possible to have a working DS4 and with rumble?

Cyrix

Neo Member
So... what's the best way to get DSfix currently?

Neither of the links here, work anymore.

I finally bought Dark Souls and it crashes on start-up because I have a 21:9 monitor? WTF.

The Filehorst link works, the site is just in german. Use google translate.
It would be cool if durante could update his other links though!

The Filehorst link works, the site is just in german. Use google translate.
It would be cool if durante could update his other links though!

Clicking the link just took me to the Filehorst homepage... I'll clear my cache and try again.

Had to open in in Chrome, clicking the link in Edge sent me to the homepage... odd.

Anyway, got it now, thank you.

Edit:

I set the render resolution to 3440X1440 and the display resolution to 2560X1080(My monitor's native resolution.) I started the game and it was in 1920X1080. I went to the in-game options and disabled in-game AA and then set the in-game resolution to 2560X1080. It went to a black screen and stalled. Now, trying to start the game just goes to that black screen and nothing happens, no sound or anything it's just frozen on a blank screen.

Ideas?

daninthemix

So... what's the best way to get DSfix currently?

Neither of the links here, work anymore.

I finally bought Dark Souls and it crashes on start-up because I have a 21:9 monitor? WTF.

It's on nexusmods.com

Your character shouldn't appear smaller no. Just bought performance impact and better IQ

Yeah I was just going mad (or blind). Hadn't played it for a while and thought my character seemed smaller.

Ran with 4K downsampled for a while but was getting frame drops in Anor Londo so went back to 1080p native. DSfix's SMAA looks great anyway. Also: bless Durante for this.

zma1013

So I'm getting a certain issue during the ingame cutscenes where certain bosses and enemies are shown moving and it's like a weird hitching or something during their animations. I don't really know how to describe it other than to say it looks like the animations are running at a lower framerate than the 60 fps my computer runs the game at. Very noticeable during the crow fly in at the beginning of the game and the Gargoyle intro as well as others. It doesn't look smooth at all. Thing is, I haven't noticed this is videos of the PC version so I dunno why it does this on mine.

So I'm getting a certain issue during the ingame cutscenes where certain bosses and enemies are shown moving and it's like a weird hitching or something during their animations. I don't really know how to describe it other than to say it looks like the animations are running at a lower framerate than the 60 fps my computer runs the game at. Very noticeable during the crow fly in at the beginning of the game and the Gargoyle intro as well as others. It doesn't look smooth at all. Thing is, I haven't noticed this is videos of the PC version so I dunno why it does this on mine.
Cutscenes aren't 60fps as far as I can see.

Top Bottom