• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC 1080p. Confirmed, like, for real.

Don't care about the Blighttown framerate. The place is terrible. I'm in and out as fast as humanly possible. Also, I have 100% confidence that the modding community will rip the goddamn game apart instantly after its released to find a way to fix the framerate. There's no way that's not going to happen.

Now, if the NEW areas have framerate issues, THAT would be fucking unforgivable.

Durante

I wish I had the motivation to dig up all the hysterical posts from the original thread.

Anyway, I'm certain my PC will run the game at a nice frame rate. I'm not worried.
(Just like I wasn't worried about the resolution being locked)

I think the quote means the game is a straight port and they spent no time optimizing it further for PC's. I'm sure it will perform better than it did on consoles but not as good as it could have.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
People were afraid it meant the game would be locked at 30fps.
Well, some games are indeed locked at 30, but that would still be a massive improvement from the console versions. My original comment refereed to the irrational decision of limiting it to sub 20. :p

I'm sorry but this doesn't sound like they are trying too hard:

It sounds like they're trying to get the game out in a reasonable timeframe. If they pushed it into the holiday season it would get lost in the shuffle, and pushing it into next year is probably out of the question.

And seriously this "lazy devs" shit has got to stop.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If SecuROM doesn't tag along like it does with other GFWL games I'll probably get this at some point.

2San

I think the quote means the game is a straight port and they spent no time optimizing it further for PC's. I'm sure it will perform better than it did on consoles but not as good as it could have.
I think the biggest problem is that even a console port when not properly optimized runs terrible even on good machines.

Mechazawa

Who did the Ninja Blade PC port?

That's a good question cause I'm now wondering if a publisher didn't take that over for them.

For what it's worth, Ninja Blade on PC had a 30fps/60fps toggle. In 60fps, at least for me, the animations would wig out and the main character would start warping around. If the game's framerate is locked to 30, I guess it might not matter if someone can unlock it if the game starts breaking down beyond that framerate.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
yes it is.. However newer cards and monitors can eclipse that easily now.. I am however still on 1920x1200 myself.

may be able to eclipse that but it costs an arm and a leg. Sad thing is plenty of CRT flatscreen's did way more than that years ago LCD's are getting there but for now 1080P + TN matrix 60hz, is the bulk of the screens out there. Dell and HP do have sales though for higher rez and even ips panel screens....but all are 60hz far as i know.

Eusis

Yeah. It admittedly is clear they're not putting the effort necessary for a really amazing port, BUT that's because of time constraints combined with making the new content. And no one really knows the issues people have with development.

Who knows. There isn't much going on really but arghhh that level is so annoying. You can probably youtube some videos of it.
It's an area where you gradually go down a cliffside to the bottom of a swamp, I think what's happening is that the game is actually rendering the entire area and much of it can be seen at once. Thus why a computer brute forcing it can solve it, I imagine a computer SLIing 690 or 680s could handle an area where the PS3 chokes.

Orayn

It sounds like they're trying to get the game out in a reasonable timeframe. If they pushed it into the holiday season it would get lost in the shuffle, and pushing it into next year is probably out of the question.

I know, right? Not achieving the best possible results regardless of timeframe isn't being lazy, it's just reality. Do I wish we had confirmation of the best PC port to ever exist? Of course, but I'm willing to accept something less because they didn't have to give us at all.

Ra1den

Having never played this...why does the place called "Blighttown" have such a bad framerate?

It's a total cluster fuck of geometry and shit.

Add in some annoying flying insect creatures, plus a (poisoned) swamp you walk slowly through, and confusing level design, and you have a nightmare of an area.

But really if the framerate weren't so bad, it would be 200% more tolerable.

Sentenza

It sounds like they're trying to get the game out in a reasonable timeframe.
No one asked for a rushed job and no one ever expected or demanded new content; if that was the trade-off, it's not a good one.
Beside, the time frame is their problem. They can't expect people to be happy with what they are stating, when it essentially translates in "Well, good or bad, we are going to launch this shit anyway in a couple of months, so cross your fingers".

Beside the fact that no one here talked about "lazy devs"... No, it doesn't.
If that makes you angry.... Well, deal with your anger.

DSN2K

if only those displays were a representation of what 3DS XL was(small scale of course!).

edit: wrong thread! mind I will be buying it!

2San

I know, right? Not achieving the best possible results regardless of timeframe isn't being lazy, it's just reality. Do I wish we had confirmation of the best PC port to ever exist? Of course, but I'm willing to accept something less because they didn't have to give us at all.
Or just accept that the PC version wasn't meant to be. That the devs are frankly lacking in experience to deliver a proper PC product. Their is skill is better served for creating more content or maybe even the start of a new game. Though too early to tell, this seems like a waste of time for everyone involved.

iNvid02

holy shit, how bad was this port gonna be
KuGsj.gif

even a barebones port should do 1080p @ 60hz

Mechazawa

Or just accept that the PC version wasn't meant to be. That the devs are frankly lacking in experience to deliver a proper PC product. Their is skill is better served for creating more content or maybe even the start of a new game. Though too early to tell, this seems like a waste of time for everyone involved.

To hell with that.

Even if a resolution and stable framerate are all I get out of it, I still want the port. Everyone else is free to complain to Namco, but I don't need to be deprived of the game in the mean time if the alternative is "no PC Dark Souls".

They're not going to fix the Blighttown issue? Or at least make it less of an issue? Hmm. Well, I'm still buying it regardless, because I've been holding out on the console versions for the PC version, which would be the better choice for me.

Durante

Getting to play the game with greatly improved IQ and framerate on my preferred platform doesn't sound like a waste to me.

I guess the shots in the PC screenshot thread will ultimately make that very clear.

2San

Getting to play the game with greatly improved IQ and framerate on my preferred platform doesn't sound like a waste to me.

I guess the shots in the PC screenshot thread will ultimately make that very clear.
Yeah, but depending on how good the port is, improved IQ and framerate only applies to a limited range of machines.
To hell with that.

Even if a resolution and stable framerate are all I get out of it, I still want the port. Everyone else is free to complain to Namco, but I don't need to be deprived of the game in the mean time if the alternative is "no PC Dark Souls".
I'm just for expertise being properly utilized. Honestly if we are ending up with quick and dirty port anyway, why bother From Software with it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is 1920x1080 considered good for PC?
Yeah.

Most displays that go beyond 1080p are still just LCDs and therefore less than top-end (unless of course you're using a super high-end CRT).

2560x1440/1600 elitists such as myself say no.
Enjoy your LCD then. I can hardly stomach them myself for serious gaming.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Yeah, but depending on how good the port is, improved IQ and framerate only applies to a limited range of machines.

I'm just for expertise being properly utilized. Honestly if we are ending up with quick and dirty port anyway, why bother From Software with it?

Because now they'll actually have some experience on PC and maybe become a little more familiar with it.

Either way, I want to play this game and don't intend to buy it on 360 so I'm glad a port is coming, shoddy or not.

No one asked for a rushed job and no one ever expected or demanded new content; if that was the trade-off, it's not a good one.

Well, an awful lot of people seem excited about the new content. I don't know if they demanded it, but the interest is there.

And the timeframe is just a reality of the market. It's kind of unrealistic to petition a publisher to port a game to a platform (which they're not very comfortable with and didn't initially deem worthwhile to release the game on) and then expect them to release the game so late that everyone will have forgotten about it.

Beside the fact that no one here talked about "lazy devs"...

Maybe you could explain what "this doesn't sound like they are trying too hard" means then?

RedSwirl

WTH! Why not source it out to a company who are familiar with PC programming? 5fps Blight town again? No thanks, i'll stick with the PS3 version.

How many Japanese developers are familiar with modern PC development? How many have actually put out good PC ports of their games (by western PC standards)? The only one I can think of is Capcom and that's probably because of the nature of their engine.

Zeth

The Eurogamer interview pretty clearly states that they're not improving Blighttown performance. I don't know if that's relative to the other areas, or whether PCs can just brute force it.

If the game is playable I'll be more than happy. I'm building a PC primarily for this game.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Yeah.

Most displays that go beyond 1080p are still just LCDs and therefore less than top-end (unless of course you're using a super high-end CRT).

They make 1080p crts?

bengraven

I'm trying to get excited for this. I know I hear it brought up as the greatest RPG in years all the time on GAF, but I really want to try it out first.

2San

Because now they'll actually have some experience on PC and maybe become a little more familiar with it.

Either way, I want to play this game and don't intend to buy it on 360 so I'm glad a port is coming, shoddy or not.
Good point, who cares if we get bad ports? At least we get it! Have no fear if they do a quick port now, they will do a better job next time!

Mechazawa

If the game runs well and at a higher resolution and doesn't crash/isn't glitchy to hell, "bad port" in this scenario is relative to expectations.

Yeah.

Does a super-high end CRT exist that supports resolution of that magnitude?

The Eurogamer interview pretty clearly states that they're not improving Blighttown performance. I don't know if that's relative to the other areas, or whether PCs can just brute force it.

Kind of sounds like they just mean they're not specifically optimizing it any further. But there's a quote in the other thread that says it'll run as well as the rest of the game, so I dunno. :/

If the game runs well and at a higher resolution and doesn't crash/isn't glitchy to hell, "bad port" in this scenario is relative to expectations.

Agreed. Personally, as long as it doesn't run worse than the console versions and GFWL doesn't do anything crazy, I'll be pretty satisfied.

Minsc

Gold Member
Strange, according to this:

Performance-wise, the game ran smoothly in the demo footage. While the game will not offer high resolution textures, it will offer a full range of scalable settings exclusive to the PC version. Additionally, I was flat-out promised that Blighttown will run as smoothly as the rest of the game.

Really though, it seems strange to think the framerate is hard coded. Time will tell, but given a fast enough CPU and GPU it should hopefully be up to the task of powering through it.

Eusis

Really though, it seems strange to think the framerate is hard coded. Time will tell, but given a fast enough CPU and GPU it should hopefully be up to the task of powering through it.
I wonder if that does confirm a FPS lock? Or if the guy is ignorant/saw it running on a 690 or something.

Brofist

WTH! Why not source it out to a company who are familiar with PC programming? 5fps Blight town again? No thanks, i'll stick with the PS3 version.

Hell just get someone who can properly describe the PC port who actually know what they are talking about.

I have a hard time believing that even a very unoptimised port couldn't be brute forced to run at an acceptable frame rate on PCs.

Sullichin

Yeah it just sounds like they're not doing any specific fixes for blighttown (not that it's the only area that has a bad framerate), but it has to run better on more powerful hardware, right? Can't wait for the new content.

LuffyZoro

This just in, entire game has a 5fps lock.

Top Bottom