• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cage thinks having two next-gen Xbox consoles is ‘confusing for developers and players’

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
“When a manufacturer offers two consoles with different specs, there is a strong chance that most developers will focus on the lower-end version to avoid doing two different versions,” Cage suggested.
i mean i have been saying this forever. i remember when the PRO launched, everyone was upset because they thought the pro would get vastly better graphics and the base ps4 games would be treated like a bastard child. needless to say, that didnt happen and devs did not use the extra horsepower for anything more than a few extra pixels.

devs will always code for the lowest common denominator. its why no third party dev is gonna use that 5.5 gbps ssd of ps5. i was hoping the ps5 10 tflops would be the base next gen but if history is any indication and now that a developer has all but confirmed, it will be the 4 tflops xss.

GODbody

The rest of the quote is conveniently left out

"Regarding Quantic Dream, as we develop our own technology and engines, we are determined to optimize our titles for each platform. Being now a PC developer, we are implementing scalable features based on the platform, which is very helpful to highlight what the hardware has best to offer."

source

Last edited:

DavidGzz

The fact it's a single internal spec configuration throughout, definitely gives Sony the edge when it comes to the overall results.

The Sony side is gonna have more customization happening, inevitably. And that makes a difference. So I think David Cage has a point, to a certain extent.

It won't be because of Series S as much as it will be because MS will be putting their games on PC. PS5 may have an advantage of requiring a super fast SSD.

sendit

This is the same story we’ve heard from 5-10 developers and every time it gets its own thread. Is this really necessary?

They could be on to something. However, let’s play arm chair developer and downplay actual developers.

Last edited:

sendit

I do wonder who Microsoft engaged with to measure if this would be a good idea

It’s a good idea from a customer stand point. Specifically the price point. 499$ is a pretty hard sell for some. 299$ Is a much easier pill to swallow for most.

However, I have not heard anything positive from developers regarding the power diff between the XSX and XSS.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
How could it confuse consumers?

Major Nelson has a couple of times called the Series X an Xbox One X.

Digital Foundry labeled a video of XSX gameplay as Xbox One X.

But how could consumers possibly get confused?

I mean the average mom walking into WalMart to buy her kid a new console at Christmas will surely know exactly all the differences and if not the WalMart worker covering electronics (who usually works the crafts dept) will surely know, right?

What's confusing is, Dev's making games for the lesser console - specifically and snubbing the more powerful console. They cite that they do it because gamer's don't know better? Most do. But more importantly Dev's KNOW if they're snubbing a more powerful machine and making games less visually impressive. THAT is confusing. Why hold back gaming and the potential of your own game because a weaker machine is on the market?

I don't like this guy's attitude - in fact his thinking is completely flawed.

Yoboman

It’s a good idea from a customer stand point. Specifically the price point. 499$ is a pretty hard sell for some. 299$ Is a much easier pill to swallow for most.

However, I have not heard anything positive from developers regarding the power diff between the XSX and XSS.
Honestly, I think it will be so supply limited that it will be sold out for the better part of a year and probably not heavily replenished. In the end it will still be the same group of hardcore gamers investing that would invest in a more expensive console. I think it will eventually get phased out and Series X will become the base console

I suspect they created it out of fear of losing out on price again, and its really just there to act as a marketing slogan - "starting at $299".

If they had consulted devs I think very few would have said its a great idea

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He talks about different consoles, yet probably 90% of games at launch are cross gen with old and new PS and Xbox systems anyway.

And his point and click games basically span almost 10 years of PC parts. Who knew a handful of consoles is confusing, but a million configs aren't.

What Do You Need to Run These Games?
Despite the fact that the oldest Quantic Dream game coming is nine years old, all three games have identical requirements. Interestingly, the recommended requirements are quite steep, needing a GTX 1080 to run. Although the CPU requirement is not particularly high, needing only a 2nd-gen Core CPU i7 equivalent.

Minimum

• Procesor: i5-2400 @ 3.4GHz or equivalent
  • System Memory: 4GB RAM
  • Graphics: nVidia GTX 660 or equivalent
  • VRAM: 2GB
Recommend

• Procesor: I7-2700K or equivalent
  • System Memory: 12GB RAM
  • Graphics: nVidia GTX 1080 or equivalent
  • VRAM: 8GB

I mean the average mom walking into WalMart to buy her kid a new console at Christmas will surely know exactly all the differences and if not the WalMart worker covering electronics (who usually works the crafts dept) will surely know, right?
Yup.

Not too long ago someone tweeted that Xbox One X interest skyrocketed after the Xbox Series X reveal, I quoted that tweet and got mocked by a certain crowd of people.

One warrior even labelled twitter users as dumb or stupid for getting the two consoles mixed up.

Of course this is just regarding the naming convention of the different Xbox's and not the development process for games on these machines. In that area I don't have an opinion. I'm sure the devs will be fine to deal with 2 SKU's

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
One for 4k, one for 1080p*. Doesn't seem hard to me?

(I know it's capable of 1440p but average consumers have no clue what this resolution is...in the interest of keeping the message simple as per the thread title, that would be how I would sell it if I were marketing it)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

If people can tell the difference buying a Sony TVs among the million code names, I'm pretty sure a handful of consoles is fine to understand.

Good luck sorting through these.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I mean, David Cage is still confusing games with movies, so this isn't too much of a stretch. I enjoyed Heavy Rain for the novelty and who doesn't enjoy Willem Dafoe chewing the scenery of *anything* he's in like he's a starving "My Strange Addiction," guest, but

Playing David Cage games is sort of like reading those choose your own adventure Goosebumps books, except R.L. Stine's sub-literature aimed at 8 year olds who are held at proverbial gunpoint into sustained silent reading is probably a notch above the offerings of Indigo Prophecy.

What was this topic about?

Kumomeme

pfft what he know...he just a game developer. we fans we know better. we only play game. it should be easy..just turn up and down the graphical and resolution slider. it simple!

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

So they can choose, if they were told get an xbox series x, they will ask for series x. If there told series s, they will get an s.
If they were just told "the new xbox", even a moron can guess the more expensive one is the better one. (They can decide if kid or budget deserves/allows) First thing most
Parents ask is "how much".

There won't be any xbox one x on the shelf to confuse (they are already gone), and I'm assuming at most stores there also won't be xbox one's left either or will be blown out for black Friday at $149-199.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

“When a manufacturer offers two consoles with different specs, there is a strong chance that most developers will focus on the lower-end version to avoid doing two different versions,” Cage suggested.

“I must confess that I am really not a big fan of this situation. I think it is confusing for developers, but also for players, and although I can understand the commercial reasons behind this choice, I think the situation is questionable.”

Developers? David Cage is an idiot

JayK47

Honestly I am confused by the two consoles. I was not expecting the cheaper smaller one. But I think Microsoft is in a good position with consoles and their Game Pass service.

Three

I have a feeling this Series S thing won't last very long and will be abandoned a couple of years into the gen.
I hope you are right but i doubt it. Initially XSX will outsell XSS because enthusiasts are early adopters but the XSS has a good chance to outsell the XSX in the long run. Look at X1X vs X1S, which was abandoned and discontinued? XBOX one X not the S.

Last edited:
So they can choose, if they were told get an xbox series x, they will ask for series x. If there told series s, they will get an s.
If they were just told "the new xbox", even a moron can guess the more expensive one is the better one. (They can decide if kid or budget deserves/allows) First thing most
Parents ask is "how much".

There won't be any xbox one x on the shelf to confuse (they are already gone), and I'm assuming at most stores there also won't be xbox one's left either or will be blown out for black Friday at $149-199.
How confusing is it when there are no XB1 consoles to buy? What will be the 'concern' then?

Orky

Banned
The rest of the quote is conveniently left out

"Regarding Quantic Dream, as we develop our own technology and engines, we are determined to optimize our titles for each platform. Being now a PC developer, we are implementing scalable features based on the platform, which is very helpful to highlight what the hardware has best to offer."

source

of course this is left out.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

NEVER FORGET little Jimmy thinks he's getting a Series X for Christmas......

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
How confusing is it when there are no XB1 consoles to buy? What will be the 'concern' then?

I'm confused, are you arguing the point or just agreeing? If there are no XB1 consoles in the store, it's easy, you buy an xbox series S or an xbox series X.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
This crap again? It was like 2 consoles, it moved up based on percentage of rank, not sales.

source.gif

Top Bottom