• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Hayter not reprising his role as Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5? Statement

Slime

Banned
Walkmen were invented in 1979, as were the helicopters used in the Ground Zeroes trailer.

I agree with you, but Walkman anachronisms never stopped them before.

tumblr_mb40o8n48a1ql3a4xo1_500.png

Vamphuntr

Walkmen were invented in 1979, as were the helicopters used in the Ground Zeroes trailer.

The clones were born something like 2 years before Peace Walker. Hence they talk about the Big Boss' "kids" in the secret convo between Miller and Zero you unlock by 100%ing the game.

I think it's totally cool Hayter is gone as Snake. I mean he has gotten pretty ridiculously over the top with the "gravely" quality to his voice. I think maybe that MGS1 was the only legitimately good performance he gave, but it was so good that people looked past how mediocre he was in all the other games.

kuroshiki

I think it's totally cool Hayter is gone as Snake. I mean he has gotten pretty ridiculously over the top with the "gravely" quality to his voice. I think maybe that MGS1 was the only legitimately good performance he gave, but it was so good that people looked past how mediocre he was in all the other games.

Mediocre I can overlook.

It was just getting ridiculously 'over the top'.

But I agree that MGS1 was his peak and was awesome voice acting. After that it was just straight downfall.

Falcs

Banned
This sucks. I really want Hayter to be in MGS5. If he is and it's some surprise twist in the game, then I don't want to be spoiled and I'd rather find out on my own when playing it.
But at the same time I want somebody to tell me that he is in it!

Before coma should be David Hayter, after 9 year coma should be Richard Doyle.
THAT would be a way I'd be okay with.

If it's neither of them then... what the fuck?

Falcs

Banned
Signed.

Yeah I'd be happy with at least this. I think it sucks having Keifer for Snake/Big Boss. His voice is already too distinguishable as another character (Jack Bauer).

legacyzero

Banned
Perhaps this is in the "Les Enfant Terribles"/Outer Heaven/Gray Fox time frame?
Snake comes to kill good 'ol dad?

Well to me he is just a voice actor? (shrug) I thought voice actor X character obsession was only in Japan. They are the one who usually do 'This voice actor better do this character or I will commit seppuku! type of craziness.

I'm surprised to see this type of devotion here.

I'm a fan of metal gear and solid snake not david hayter.

When you spend a decade and a half loving a character, why not be devoted to them? And it's DAVID FUCKING HAYTER. Arguably the best and most known VO actor in gaming.

When you spend a decade and a half loving a character, why not be devoted to them? And it's DAVID FUCKING HAYTER. Arguably the best and most known VO actor in gaming.

I love his voice and all, but... best?

Lol no. Not even close.

Actually this is an insult to professional VAs.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew

Nolan North just spit up his milk.

As the time passes, I feel worse about it. This decision won't hurt the game, but it most likely will affect my experience. Snake-Hayter connection is not a regular character-VA connection for which you don't care to begin with. Well, it's a huge letdown for me after all. I'll miss him badly.

Not so sure about this yet.

Hayter has become synonymous with the character, like Hamill and the Joker. They wouldn't just stop using him without a separate official announcement sending him off and round of back-patting.

I love Hayter's work for MGS, but come on. Dude did one character for well over a decade, and that was a shameless impression of an existing character anyway.

It's not Metal Gear Solid 5, it's Metal Gear Solid V. There has to be a reason for the V after using numbers for the other 3.
The unveiling of this game is a rabbit hole and we're still falling.

That's really interesting. Has anyone from KojiPro or Konami called this MGS"5"? We could be thinking this is a #'d title like 1-4, but not.

Big Boss was also in another long coma from the end of Metal Gear 2 up until sometime around MGS4 (15 years?) so maybe that fucked up his voice even more.

Big Boss sure has been in a lot of comas huh?

His brain is probably just half melted Jelly by MGS4. He is lucky he could even talk.

Aguirre

The next splinter cell and metal gear solid games will be without their iconic voice actors - Michael Ironside and now David Hayter.

Having said that MI was getting old and he was brought in as an advisory figure for the role but in this case Hayter looks like he's being left out to dry.
Ironside gets better with age,hes really good :)

He's "Snake" as he's always voiced the character with the codename Snake (far as I can recall). Maybe BigBoss isn't referred to that in this game, and someone else is.

If it were something that significant, you would think Otsuka would have a different role too.

Village

Isn't it big boss, maybe he isn't big boss anymore.

That I have no issue with, liquid and solidus had different voices despite being clones.
So yeah ,

lucius

Kojima could just be trolling us I personally hope not, the guy is great VA but I like to see things change up a bit.

butman

The answer is so simple, if the japanese voice actor that's do Snake voice is not confirmed in MGS V there will not be Hayter either.

Someone can confirm that?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So the Japanese voice actor is still Akio Otsuka? That's kind of strange... maybe there is some bad blood between Hayter and KJP?

I can't possibly imagine it being that.

Especially considering Hayter isn't aware of why he didn't get the call either.

Just sounds like they decided to go a different direction on this one

Greenzxy

I think he might be trollin that he wasn't asked to do the voice of big boss. He never said anything about Solid Snake.

Doesn't feel like MGS at all to me. No Hayter. Super gun heavy action sequences.

Kojima will deliver, I know that. I just hope they're messing with people.

PK Gaming

so I was browsing through hayters wiki profile

According to an interview with Paul Eiding, Hayter gave up half of his own paycheck in order to bring back the cast of Metal Gear Solid for the remake, The Twin Snakes. This is the reason why the voice acting in The Twin Snakes was almost completely redone with the same voice actors, one of the few differences being the actor for Gray Fox, Greg Eagles, who was replaced by Rob Paulsen.

:(

he sounds like a bro.

I wish they had replaced Raiden's voice actor before they did MGR...

Hayter's snake is iconic (for better or for worse, MGS4 Hayter was almost reaching parody) and it is strange to see them change it up but it really is not a big deal to me. I think this will probably upset some people though once promotions for this game starts really heating up though.

Top Bottom