• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: "The next generation of hardware will be the last consoles."

LOL at pc.

Maybe the hardcore but I'm starting to regret my pc that i built a few years ago for gaming.

I took down my computer desk. moved the pc to next to the tv. Its just really an itunes server now, with some gaming. Some people are married to their xbl achievements, I'm married to my trophies and PS games. I even prefer hulu plus/netflix/amazon video on my ps3 over my pc.

What would I do for everything else?(surfing, forums etc).

iPad on a stand with a bluetooth keyboard.

Post PC world baby

So PC is a laughable platform because it doesn't have achievements (it does), and you don't own a desk.

because i dont want to stream games i want to own them

sense of ownership is an illusion. easy comes, easy goes. watch your own toes. age of enlightment and baroque taught us the meaningless of earthly posession.

don't bother. give up on physical media. even if you physically own something, you soon wont be able to play anything without the consent of some authentication service in the "cloud" allowing you to play your single player game. ubisoft pc and diablo 3 are just the beginning for that as well.

my suggestion? buy a good chess board out of gold. physical fun forever.

unless your forever alone. then your screwed. like me, lool

Emitan

Guess what? Owning a disc does not mean you own a game. It means you are licensed to use the game as outlined in the license agreement, just like if you were...say...streaming it. That's a different debate though.

What so are MS and Sony going to come to my house and take away a disk?

It's not the hobby though. It's the format. 10 years from now gaming will have probably zero resemblance to what we have now. That is a long freaking time, esp in technology years

I honestly believe that MS is showing us right now with 360 what the future of gaming will be. We will pay for a service like Live that won't cover any of the stuff or apps on Live except multiplayer gaming. The rest we will be paying more and more $ for like DLC like Elite that's 50$ a year, apps like Netflix with monthly charges, services like Zune Movies where a movie is 7-8$ to rent, games will cost more too I'm sure and they'll just get shorter in length. The future in my eyes is very ugly if MS have their say so get ready for it. And the worst part? MS is doing this right now and they're beating everyone. What message are we sending them? Not a good one.

Emitan

sense of ownership is an illusion. easy comes, easy goes. watch your own toes. age of enlightment and baroque taught us the meaningless of earthly posession.

don't bother. give up on physical media. even if you physically own something, you soon wont be able to play anything without the consent of some authentication service in the "cloud" allowing you to play your single player game. ubisoft pc and diablo 3 are just the beginning for that as well.

my suggestion? buy a good chess board out of gold. physical fun forever.

unless your forever alone. then your screwed. like me, lool
theres a reason i didnt buy diablo 3

Ignoring the steaming part, the idea of consoles and exclusives is silly compared to other media. There're still reasons why things are how they are, like it's power/architecture, but it's still a dumbness people accept. When similar business happens with film (HD-DVD vs Blu-ray) it's right embarrassing and it corrects itself in no time. But the three big players in the game industry make the software to sell the hardware. So you've got content spread all over the place. I can't just play what I want where I want. Have to go out and buy another box and new controllers and wires and junk. That's the business and it's hard to care anymore. Looking back on the cycle it's easy to regret owning all three systems and a PC. It's just unnecessary. But man, fuck streaming. Jaffe's talking about ~8 years from now and things can get a lot better, but they really need to get a lot better.

Shambles

Since consoles are basically turning into PCs, realy shitty PCs, yeah. I guess you could say the next generation of consoles will be the last. They certainly won't be the last xbox, playstation or whatever the Wii turns into.

Why should we be happy about this? Why are we so willing to give up our rights and access?

I'm fine with renting/leasing all of my digital possessions, as long as those things are priced way, way cheaper than they are right now.

I concur Mr Jaffe.

I agree that the next hardware generation is likely to be the last for dedicated gaming hardware.

But I disagree that it's replacement will be a streamed service on a souped up TV or PC.

I just don't see the necessary bandwidth being available at high enough rates globally to make this viable in places that have poor infrastructure where consoles are currently popular.

Another reason I don't buy into the streamed gaming future on a set top box is that it will require a globally accepted control pad for developers and gamers to take it seriously. I don't see any company currently that would be willing to expend a huge amount of time or resources to make this a reality.

I believe that the next home for gaming will be either tablets or smartphones. Touch is global but still in it's infancy and developers should really make it a viable control method for most genres during this and the next hardware cycle.

Touch is already accepted by the masses with more smartphones in use than all the gaming hardware in total sold this generation.

Mobile and tablets already have a viable software distribution channel that doesn't require physical media.

The popular casual touch titles are orders of magnitude more popular than the best selling console/PC titles.

Publishers, developers and platform holders alike can see the casual friendly touch platforms have a wider reach and appeal to mass market users.

Just because they don't like the thought of it doesn't mean it won't happen.

Adapt or whither and die.

Foffy

Banned
I believe that the next home for gaming will be either tablets or smartphones. Touch is global but still in it's infancy and developers should really make it a viable control method for most genres during this and the next hardware cycle.

But we had a rebirth of platformers. A touch only platforming future would kill them off again! ):

dream

gaming won't end.

the Wii audience was something else. and Wii buyers are not all of the mainstream. other mainstream groups include COD, Madden, Fifa, Singstar and so on. There is a big facebook gaming group now. A massive group from china, and india and brazil and russia. combined these groups engulf what you have in north america. but thats not the impression you get from the current expousure.

free 2 play pc gaming is going to get REALLY big. more high budget games are going to compete for popularity and adds and they will be viral and transcend with tv shows, marketing campaigns and movies. same thing with mobile gaming and social networking gaming.

the problem for wii / ds / psp vita is the cost. Iphone games are cheap and even though they overall have inferior quality, this mainstream group will buy a more shitty version of some well known franchise.
but I wont cry over that.

Because I think a lot of stuff we are seeing today are worth crying over. even our highly praised e3 high fidelity graphic games that hardcore gamers go balistic over have transformed into something like 3d person storytelling gaming/movie watching hybrid combinational mediums, funneled by QTE and in-game cinematics to break up the gameplay every few minutes. sometimes even 30 seconds. you saw it in so many games at this years e3.

many iphone games are not competing for that. they are 100% games and no cinematics. but that too might change.

I totally agree, and I think this is what "hardcore gamers" oppose. They want gaming to be their own little niche thing.

We've seen a move towards the all in one "media box" this gen (and maybe even last gen with the PS2) but dedicated hardware is going to still be with us for a while. Internet speeds are no where near fast enough to stream games at an acceptable 60 fps. I do think Jaffe has the right idea though, eventually all games will be delivered as a service on one type of media box. But I think it's going to take quite a bit longer.

Since consoles are basically turning into PCs, realy shitty PCs, yeah. I guess you could say the next generation of consoles will be the last. They certainly won't be the last xbox, playstation or whatever the Wii turns into.

Unless the Wii U fails(and in the future 720/PS4), I agree. This doom and gloom is just a promotion for us all to give up our minds and become casual gamers. Quick, quirky games using just 3 fingers or simple interfaces wont EVER replace the gaming core need of vast experiences from Mario to Halo to Uncharted to Watchdogs.

The only future I can agree with at this point is gaming consoles turning into gaming tablets. Portable, yes. But replaced by TVs? Not in the next decade Dave....

original.gif

Izick

This isn't news or really even thread worthy. Jaffe says multiple times he's not a fortune teller, and he says he has no idea. Why is this an issue? It's the guys fucking opinion.

Foffy

Banned
I totally agree, and I think this is what "hardcore gamers" oppose. They want gaming to be their own little niche thing.

It's less of me wanting it to be my niche to use myself as an example, it's just a lot of the games I like sound like disasters working on a tablet or phone. For example, Final Fantasy Dimensions seems really cool, as the game works for a phone/tablet device, but the Mega Man games on those devices are near-cancerous in how bad they are compared to those games on other platforms, due to the lack of buttons.

I've never said no to using a phone/tablet to play games, but the games I like simply do not work well with that model at all, like platformers. They're encompassed currently with traditional platforms, and I don't see how both cannot coexist.

Omikaru

You should try OnLive. Works brilliantly, even today. And they'll definitely support you. I couldn't get further on Darksiders on my phone because there was no R3 button. One was added within the week.
I personally tried OnLive, and I found it insufferable. The image quality was bad for one, but I know that'll be fixed as bandwidth improves. Input lag was a nightmare, however, and until we can create a wormhole from my PC to OnLive's server farm, that isn't getting fixed.

A lot of you are strangely conservative for gaming/tech buffs. If an industry dude is saying the writing is on the wall, there's probably some truth to it. Let's not pretend it's the first time we've heard this line of reasoning.
Whilst you have a point, a lot of people say a lot of stuff about gaming's future, and many of them purport to tell you the wonders of the one true future of gaming. Most of them have something or another to hawk, mind, so don't trust them.

So okay, maybe I over exaggerate a bit, but industry insiders aren't always the most trustworthy people when asking for a quote. They usually have some sort of related product to hawk (example: David Perry thinks cloud gaming is the future, and he just so happens to be with Gaikai -- he also said MMOs were the future and made a lot of shitty ones that lost his publisher a fuckton of cash). And whilst I think Jaffe is almost certainly more sincere than most of the shysters chiming in on gaming's future, he's also pretty frank when he says he doesn't actually know what's going to happen. He thinks the cloud stuff is going to happen, but he doesn't seem to be basing it on any hard facts. He just thinks that technology is pretty swell and can see it taking off, or maybe he just realises the people in the suits want it to go that way so they can have more control over the product. Whatever.

Personally I hope he's wrong, because I don't really like the idea of giant centralised monolithic entities on the Internet. It kind of goes against what the Internet is: a distributed and robust network. I find it bothersome when Facebook or Google or MS or whoever tries to get its tentacles in every website in the form of "+1 this!", "Tweet this story!", "Like it on Facebook!", "Spin it about your ass in Bing!", or when everyone says that everything in my life will be stored on the cloud and that one day I'll have to pay some corporation a continual stream of money just to do computing tasks because my PC will be a hobbled video decoder with an Internet connection, and it kind of perverts the distributed and open nature of computers and the Internet because a few rich companies control it all.

It's not very robust, either. If your provider of something or another goes bust, you probably lose access to all the stuff you invested your money into. People tell me OnLive has been pretty crap lately as far as new releases go. They've promised stuff and haven't delivered (such as The Witcher 2), and things seem to be going downhill, especially after MS pissed on their parade in regards to running MS Office. In fairness that was a dumb move, and made it look like the idea was thought up during amateur hour, but I'm really not confident those guys know what they're doing. It seems like they desperately wanted someone to have bought them out by now. I'm dreading the meltdowns from some people who have invested serious coin in ether games if the service kicks the bucket.

In my view, cloud stuff (especially gaming) is probably an expensive bubble waiting to burst, and I think we're getting to a point where storage is cheap (and getting cheaper), hardware is cheap (and getting cheaper), and that cloud stuff -- again, especially in the gaming realm -- is a solution to a problem we had about ten years ago, when PC gaming was mega expensive, we had tiny fucking hard drives, the internet was shit slow, and few people could afford to build or buy their own gaming system. I think we're passing that point pretty quickly.

Eusis

I doubt it will be that widespread for one simple reason: needing to maintain servers. At some point fighting piracy can be more costly than just rolling with it, and this can be an example of that. Hell, most of those games either have some big reason for being online only (Diablo 3's RMAH and the very nature of anything that is multiplayer-only on PC), it's not inherently necessary to boot up (Steam, at least when Offline Mode's working properly), or a few of the biggest publishers are being dicks with their games (EA and especially Ubisoft) when that's not really necessary AND may be avoided in the future, Assassin's Creed III popped up awfully fast on Steam and that usually doesn't happen unless a game's Steamworks, plus they already dumped it for Rayman Origins and switched DRMs (arguably to a worse one) for Anno.

Plus with how closed consoles are they very rarely try something like that, and that's where I tend to value game ownership more to be honest. Well, there's rumors about Sony and Microsoft, but if they really are that dumb I'll just stick with Wii U and PC except MAYBE if some exclusive finally pushes me over, and hopefully PC support gets even better then.

soon there will be a why you wont buy any game because that will be the future. own steam? origin? any mmo? bf3? cod? blizzard games? ubisoft?

all these games run on services. if they shut them down, good luck.

I have all my Steam games backed up on an external and ready to play offline. No to MMOs, BF3, COD and Blizzard. No-CD cracks for the rest (all purchased of course).

Why should we be happy about this? Why are we so willing to give up our rights and access?

Your right. It's an ethnical dilemma but we're not thinking about this right now because its awesome and everyone think gabe newell and co. are gods when they give us stuff like DOTA 2 for free. they have bought our trust, and deservingly so.

But any conservative /careful person would be vary. Look at EA. They are capable of doing bad things.

yeah because cracking my pc games is so hard

Point taken. I took think people will keep fighting for control over the things they think is rightfully theirs. its another discussion though. particularly one that relates to freedom of communities.

i played the origina halo pc demo six months ago. isnt it amazing how a ten year old multiplayer demo still has servers and players? people have their own community. people who own the regular version of Halo PC, and tons of modern games still play the free multiplayer demo of Halo 1 for pc.
thats the power of communities when there is no middle man like an authorization server.

I'm fine with renting/leasing all of my digital possessions, as long as those things are priced way, way cheaper than they are right now.

i wonder about what they are worth. what is my guild wars 2 character really worth? will i ever be able to extract it. when i - 5-10 years from now have spent a fair bit of money on this virtual identity will i be able to extract it on a flash drive.. for a price and relive it forever on a screensaver?

as for cheaper prices - I think the problem more is that a lot of these games we see today feel like they are too long. anyone else feels this way? you have all these 3d person action games with great graphics, but it feels like their game time should be 1-4 hours thanks to some simple mechanic. but often the experience gets stretched out to justify a 60 dollar price tag. they put more water in the soup and that kills the taste.

lower prices for shorter 1-time experience games.

watch_dogs.. it looks cool but realistically how different will that game be on the same playthrough? or something highly scripted like god of war or the last of us? they have amazing cinematic flair but they are so obstructed now in their cinematic flair, that, we might as well be looking at a half priced movie like game experience.

this surprises me. i was the biggest advocate of MGS and it's approach when MGS4 came out. but I guess it caught up to me. After all I am just repeating what others said in 2007 and before. I guess I have hit the get-off-my-lawn-age.

Foffy

Banned
I personally tried OnLive, and I found it insufferable. The image quality was bad for one, but I know that'll be fixed as bandwidth improves. Input lag was a nightmare, however, and until we can create a wormhole from my PC to OnLive's server farm, that isn't getting fixed.

Whilst you have a point, a lot of people say a lot of stuff about gaming's future, and many of them purport to tell you the wonders of the one true future of gaming. Most of them have something or another to hawk, mind, so don't trust them.

So okay, maybe I over exaggerate a bit, but industry insiders aren't always the most trustworthy people when asking for a quote. They usually have some sort of related product to hawk (example: David Perry thinks cloud gaming is the future, and he just so happens to be with Gaikai -- he also said MMOs were the future and made a lot of shitty ones that lost his publisher a fuckton of cash). And whilst I think Jaffe is almost certainly more sincere than most of the shysters chiming in on gaming's future, he's also pretty frank when he says he doesn't actually know what's going to happen. He thinks the cloud stuff is going to happen, but he doesn't seem to be basing it on any hard facts. He just thinks that technology is pretty swell and can see it taking off, or maybe he just realises the people in the suits want it to go that way so they can have more control over the product. Whatever.

Personally I hope he's wrong, because I don't really like the idea of giant centralised monolithic entities on the Internet. It kind of goes against what the Internet is: a distributed and robust network. I find it bothersome when Facebook or Google or MS or whoever tries to get its tentacles in every website in the form of "+1 this!", "Tweet this story!", "Like it on Facebook!", "Spin it about your ass in Bing!", or when everyone says that everything in my life will be stored on the cloud and that one day I'll have to pay some corporation a continual stream of money just to do computing tasks because my PC will be a hobbled decoder with an Internet connection, and it kind of perverts the distributed and open nature of computers the Internet because a few rich companies control it all.

It's not very robust, either. If your provider of something or another goes bust, you probably lose access to all the stuff you invested your money into. People tell me OnLive has been pretty crap lately as far as new releases go. They've promised stuff and haven't delivered (such as The Witcher 2), and things seem to be going downhill, especially after MS pissed on their parade in regards to running MS Office. In fairness that was a dumb move, and made it look like the idea was thought up during amateur hour, but I'm really not confident those guys know what they're doing. It seems like they desperately wanted someone to have bought them out by now. I'm dreading the meltdowns from some people who have invested serious coin in ether games if the service kicks the bucket.

In my view, cloud stuff (especially gaming) is probably an expensive bubble waiting to burst, and I think we're getting to a point where storage is cheap (and getting cheaper), hardware is cheap (and getting cheaper), and that cloud stuff -- again, especially in the gaming realm -- is a solution to a problem we had about ten years ago, when PC gaming was mega expensive, we had tiny fucking hard drives, the internet was shit slow, and few people could afford to build or buy their own gaming system. I think we're passing that point pretty quickly.

I tend to agree with a lot of what you wrote, wow. How you viewed cloud gaming sort of makes sense. For PC, it seems like a pretty weak option considering how cheap it is to make a PC to get better quality anyway.

I have all my Steam games backed up on an external and ready to play offline. No to MMOs, BF3, COD and Blizzard. No-CD cracks for the rest (all purchased of course).

MMOs have the potential of private servers, especially after the game goes offline.

Not me. E3 was even worse than I imagined it would be.

Most of E3, particularly for Nintendo, was less about being impressive and more of focusing for the next six months. If you look at E3 as Nintendo's Fall 2012 Press Conference, it is much more acceptable to swallow. The megatons are either saved for times when the games will launch soon (Donkey Kong Country Returns was one) or specificly for next year to combat MS/Sony's event for new hardware.

Oppo

I agree that these will be the last consoles in the next round.

But only cause 9th gen will put all the hardware inside the controller. *inceptionhorn*

Also, the controller might be a phone. *inceptionhornX2*

they can isolate you from the online space though. even if you crack, many others will be isolated from it.

just like how they closed MGO and other games. like they were temporary services. never mind the communities who stuck with it and wanted to keep playing. it makes no sense. UO is still going. Everquest is still going.

I forgot what I tried to argue. I don't think I have a stance on this. I just want you guys to be happy, and I feel smart when I talk about materialistic things, because I recently learned the meaning of that word.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
After what happened to SEGA and Arcades in the U.S. nothing would surprise me

Sega systems at home and Aracdes at the mall WAS gaming for me....now neither really exists

I have no real connection with sony/ms/nintendo everything should just be streamed on my PC/HDTV

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I respect David Jaffe's opinion, but he's taking this stance because he wants to develop indie games for iOS.

He thinks tablets will overtake consoles.

Has Japan even adapted to the online sphere? I thought digital games don't even sell there.

Good question, not sure how digital distributions is out there, all I know is that they have great internet and can make it happen with a stream type service.

volturnus

Banned
I don't usually agree with him, but this time I think he's right, or at least I hope so.
Console manufacture royalties need to die fast.

Replicant

This sounds too much like "Disc-based movies will be replaced by streaming" argument, which still isn't happening at this stage because bandwidth is still cost-prohibitive for most people even in 1st world country. Not to mention it takes too bloody long. The idea of streaming games sound even less appealing. And 10 years is too short of estimate.

I don't usually agree with him, but this time I think he's right, or at least I hope so.
Console manufacture royalties need to die fast.

Don't think that's happening. Heck, Apple has a higher royalty fee than the other current console manufacturers and developers are eating that up.

lol game streaming is never going to take off until the internet has zero latency.

I can't even tolerate the input lag from a LCD TV, still holding on to my CRT HDTV, so imagine goddamn streaming from the web... It's like you people don't care for responsive controls!

I don't really like the idea of giant centralised monolithic entities on the Internet. It kind of goes against what the Internet is: a distributed and robust network. I find it bothersome when Facebook or Google or MS or whoever tries to get its tentacles in every website in the form of "+1 this!", "Tweet this story!", "Like it on Facebook!", "Spin it about your ass in Bing!", or when everyone says that everything in my life will be stored on the cloud and that one day I'll have to pay some corporation a continual stream of money just to do computing tasks because my PC will be a hobbled video decoder with an Internet connection, and it kind of perverts the distributed and open nature of computers and the Internet because a few rich companies control it all.

This is what I mean by conservative. People see the ubiquity of these services as some sort of threat, when really, it's just an evolution of having a phone number. If you embrace these things and take the time to learn how to leverage them, you are as "safe" as you as have always been. If you explore these things, you will see that your privacy as you know it is still legally yours and under your control, as it always was.

Mind you, when I say "as it always was", I'm being cynical as hell. But that's also a different debate.

volturnus

Banned
Don't think that's happening. Heck, Apple has a higher royalty fee than the other current console manufacturers and developers are eating that up.
Is Apple's cut higher than the average? It's usually 30% for the store and 70% for the publisher/dev, it's the same on Steam, XBLA, PSN, etc.
The problem is that game publishers pay both for selling physical copies, thus, with all taxes and costs added, making between 18 and 24 USD each. On Steam publishers make $35 for each $50 game sold, that's why sales come soon and often.

Is Apple's cut higher than the average? It's usually 30% for the store and 70% for the publisher/dev, it's the same on Steam, XBLA, PSN, etc.
The problem is that game publishers pay both for selling physical copies, thus, with all taxes and costs added, making between 18 and 24 USD each. On Steam publishers make $35 for each $50 game sold, that's why sales come soon and often.

The license fee is something like $7 to $10 per game so even factoring just the percentage between license and money going back to the developer only, it's a smaller percentage. I understand Steam works on similar percentages, but strictly going between Apple, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, Apple takes a higher percentage cut.

Top Bottom