• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Dawn Of War 2 Confirmed! The Immortal Emperor Be Praised!

Mindlog

Aug 31, 2007
www.youtube.com
TemplaerDude said:
oh right because rock paper scissors is just the be all end all rts design.

facepalm sigh >:\

Why do stalwarts of dogma have to keep going on with this inane bullshit obvious truth. To believe that SC2 isn't going to be complex and that its current iteration doesn't have the subtleties of DoW or CoH, well keep thinking that @_@

Christ, console threads always have the durr durr, my favorite platform crowd. You'd think PC threads would have a little more dignity.

DoW 2 = awesome

SC2 = awesome

This thread = DoW 2.

More DoW 2 info please.

Technosteve

Banned
Oct 7, 2007
So what this is telling me is that when Company of Heroes 2 comes out in 3 years it will look better then Crysis. Guess its time to upgrade the old pc with my big fat government rebate check.

Fragamemnon

Jun 7, 2004
I saw the scans, when Relic puts up some official screens when the PC gamer reveal comes out in early April you will say WOW.

Technosteve

Banned
Oct 7, 2007
Great is it time to get Viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiista yet seems this would be worth it to see the eye candy in the new engine. I have to say COH already looks amazing i don't know how they are going to top themselves. i want to see leaked photo copies damns it.

Decado

Apr 4, 2007
Minsc said:
If every RTS were like CoH, they'd be boring. Let them be unique, DoW is different from the others, but you're certainly titled to your opinion, I know I have mine :D Either way, DoW 2 does sound different than the first. I'm curious to see screens and also videos.
True...but all other RTS games seem pretty much the same, to me. I'd take a clone of CoH over the 10000th "traditional" RTS, any day.

Check out the two points above that one... the bit about over the top animations, yeah. Fear not, limbs will be flying.
Cool.

Shouta

Jun 6, 2004
Rawr, DoW needs more inspiration from KAG!

Anyway, I can't wait to see how this looks. =o

Tendo

Nov 30, 2007
This is the game to make me install vista to take advantage of my 8800. Probably get a bigger processor and 2 more gigs of ram as well :) Thats the only benefit of it being a year + off.

vilmer_

Nov 12, 2006
SHIT. I thought this thread said "Dead Rising 2! The Immortal Emperor (Frank West) Be Praised"! One tomany beverages tonight,

/leaves thread quietly

Fragamemnon

Jun 7, 2004
For what it is worth, Matt_A, there is no greater calling than to be banned in loyal service of the Immortal Emperor.

Rabbit Lord

May 11, 2006
vilmer_ said:
SHIT. I thought this thread said "Dead Rising 2! The Immortal Emperor (Frank West) Be Praised"! One tomany beverages tonight,

/leaves thread quietly

Why bring up such a shitty game?

Fragamemnon

Jun 7, 2004
Dead Rising would have been 1000000% cooler with Necrons instead of zombies, to be fair.

Relic's essence engine is a BEAST, wow.

Gasgul

Feb 27, 2007
interesting on the 6 count on squads,

from all reports i will be dousing myself in purple body paint and heading for a smart cocktail at Mr.Fister's when this comes out,

re:slanesh

Phife Dawg

Dec 4, 2006
YES! Sounds awesome.

Waaagh!

SupahBlah said:
ER WE GO ER WE GO ER WE GO

VaLiancY

Oct 7, 2007
This Warhammer you people speak off, I'm intrigued by it. Its art, its designs, especially those warships of dreadnought scale tickle my fancy. I shall Wikipedia and Deviantart it, then I will be enlighten and after the enlightenment shall come fanatic or admirer of it.

:lol

FieryBalrog

Oct 6, 2006
I am pretty hyped for this whole thing.

Ventrue said:
Only 6 squads makes me like the sound of this. I really suck at multitasking.

What :? Thats the only thing that sounds like it really sucks.

With 6 squads only your army is pretty much just going to be one small blob that travels together =(

Druz said:
I would argue Relic has a bigger challenge balancing COH than the relatively safe rock paper scissor blizzard games. FANBOY ARGUEMENT COMMENCE.

People who think like this have no idea about the actual depth of balancing behind Starcraft.

"RPS" my ass... counters are much harder in the DoW/CoH series if anything.

FieryBalrog

Oct 6, 2006
TemplaerDude said:
oh right because rock paper scissors is just the be all end all rts design.

Starcraft isn't Rock Paper Scissors any more than DoW is. If anything its less.

In fact, all infantry is just about useless against Vehicles in DoW, unless of course theyre AV infantry, in which case they own Vehicles. Etc.

On the other hand, no matter the damage/armor system in SC, almost all "counter pairs" are soft counters dependent on the tactical control and upgrade levels and various other factors. Are mutalisks a counter to m&m or vice versa? Theres no answer because it depends on several other factors. And there isn't the convenient division of everything into vehicles vs infantry.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Jun 7, 2004
Edmonton
FieryBalrog said:
I am pretty hyped for this whole thing.

What :? Thats the only thing that sounds like it really sucks.

With 6 squads only your army is pretty much just going to be one small blob that travels together =(

People who think like this have no idea about the actual depth of balancing behind Starcraft.

"RPS" my ass... counters are much harder in the DoW/CoH series if anything.

Have you played Company of Heroes, you generally don't have more then that on the field at any time and it's a far cry from one small blob.

I also assume that those squads are infantry, vehicles are probably separate as they were in the first game.

Xapati

May 30, 2007
FieryBalrog said:

In fact, all infantry is just about useless against Vehicles in DoW, unless of course theyre AV infantry, in which case they own Vehicles. Etc.

On the other hand, no matter the damage/armor system in SC, almost all "counter pairs" are soft counters dependent on the tactical control and upgrade levels and various other factors. Are mutalisks a counter to m&m or vice versa? Theres no answer because it depends on several other factors. And there isn't the convenient division of everything into vehicles vs infantry.

They're freakin vehicals, it makes sense you need specific weapons to destroy them.

Minsc

Oct 1, 2007
Eastern Shores
Gimme, gimme, gimme!

I want real screenshots, moire patterns begone! Also, holy shit!!!! Looks nothing like "only six squads," I'm curious to see the first in-depth preview.

syllogism

Dec 14, 2004
Hooker said:
Ok, I want in... Where can I see these 'amazing' screenshots?!?
I've seen the scans and I wouldn't exactly characterize them as 'amazing'. Looks good, but the images are pretty small.

Minsc

Oct 1, 2007
Eastern Shores
Durante said:
I agree, after reading this thread seeing them was a bit anticlimactic.

I agree, but you have to put it all in perspective, they're scans... things are relative you know. Even the best pictures in the world tend look "ok" once you resize them to 320x240 and throw 40-50% noise over them.

The full size screens and videos will be glorious.

TemplaerDude

Feb 4, 2006
Vancouver, British Columbia
FieryBalrog said:

ok i'm not too sure because it's really convoluted and long, but i think you may have just described why it's more rps than any other rts.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mar 10, 2007
Really, really short teaser video link edited into the OP.

nvm I need to wait for confirmation on this first....

ok confirmed, teaser's up \0/

Minsc

Oct 1, 2007
Eastern Shores
Prime crotch said:
I really hope the specs aren't much higher than CoH, after seeing those pictures.

The release is still a year off, of course the specs are going to be higher. I'm not sure if you're trying to say the pictures looked no better than CoH, it's way too soon to be judging graphics.

BfME runs of a tweaked Generals engine, there's plenty of time for them to turn it up a few notches.

Jenga

Banned
Nov 8, 2006
Damn, all these new details with just the Orkz and Space Marines. Imagine how the Tyranids or IG will look. I'd imagine the tyranids would get random tentacles torn off rather than Battle Armor in melee.

Prime crotch

Banned
Nov 8, 2006
Portugal
Minsc said:
The release is still a year off, of course the specs are going to be higher. I'm not sure if you're trying to say the pictures looked no better than CoH, it's way too soon to be judging graphics.

BfME runs of a tweaked Generals engine, there's plenty of time for them to turn it up a few notches.
It looks amazing but I don't know. Relic has already got some backlash from CoH high requirements and making DoW2 requirements that much higher than CoH's doesn't seem a good idea.