• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day 1 Patch for Gears of War 4 (Disc Only)

leeh

Is this due to everything not fitting on the disk again?

Pre-order & preloading ftw. Everyone should do the home console trick so they can essentially buy games at 50% off. Makes digital actually really good value for me. Me and my mate have a ridiculous library what I've hardly even touched thanks to this.

Again, thank you Square Enix for delaying FFXV instead of following this bullshit trend. No interest in Gears 4 but if I was, this would be a big deciding factor on whenever or not to pick up the game.

Quonny

This is such bullshit. If your installs are 30 seconds long then you have the best PS4 on the planet. I'm not saying it is nearly as long as xbox 1 but 30 seconds. Fuck bullshit.
wut

Outside of like Arkham Knight I can't think of a game that had more than a 30 second install. Patching takes its sweet time but installs have been super quick for me. Sometimes 5-10 seconds.

All digital continues to provide the best experience. No waiting for a game to be delivered or needing to go to a store. No waiting for the game to install to then wait even longer to download a huge patch. Just preload the game and on launch day press play. So wonderful, so easy.

Again, thank you Square Enix for delaying FFXV instead of following this bullshit trend. No interest in Gears 4 but if I was, this would be a big deciding factor on whenever or not to pick up the game.

Really? Your big deciding factor is a one time big ass patch? After its done you get to play it no problem. That's like not even reason, you just have zero interest in playing it. And we can't go thanking Square just yet for an unreleased product, odds are it could still have a day 1 patch still.

Voliko

Well... Won't be playing this on Day -4. Don't think I will even bother with the ultimate edition at this point.

Behlel

This is such bullshit. If your installs are 30 seconds long then you have the best PS4 on the planet. I'm not saying it is nearly as long as xbox 1 but 30 seconds. Fuck bullshit.
In 30 sec you can start playing, the full install take some minutes but you can start your game when you put the disk on, the patch don't take much to be installed, when the download is over they're ready.

Wow. Crazy stuff. Those patch notes must be huge. Remember the days when games were released without patches and just worked fine? Can't imagine games without patches anymore.

Recall

All digital continues to provide the best experience. No waiting for a game to be delivered or needing to go to a store. No waiting for the game to install to then wait even longer to download a huge patch. Just preload the game and on launch day press play. So wonderful, so easy.

And yet in most countries the price conversion is so fucked up that you are genuinely stupid if are paying the digital prices.

Theorry

And yet in most countries the price conversion is so fucked up that you are genuinely stupid if are paying the digital prices.

Singapore store. Paying arround 46 euro for a new game instead of 70.
Wouldnt have gone digital of that wasnt possible to be honest,

And the option to preload and play a day earlier is also nice.

breadtruck

I fucking hate buying console games now. It takes like 40 minutes to install and then after that I need an 11gb patch? When it goes at like half the speed of Steam that makes playing a game on Day 1 pretty much impossible.

Yeah, I havent been too pleased with consoles in this regard either.

sikkinixx

Great 11gb patch. So an hour to install plus the download. So I guess I won't be playing launch evening after work. Thanks modern games *grumble grumble*

Gamezone

Gold Member
They have confirmed that the campaign will work fine without the patch. Multiplayer gamers might have to download it before playing online.

If I let a friend log in to my account on his Xbox One to preload my digital preorder, when he gets his disc copy will it try to download the patch again?

Not sure if you can even blame big day one patches on just 'limiting' 50GB bluray sizes, it's also because there is little to no update file size cap and developers keep working on their product after the game goes gold, why even go gold in the first place if the game is unfinished or has broken parts in it.

Is the 11GB the multiplayer content? I think it was Doom that shipped with just the single player on disc and a big update file for the multiplayer.

Theorry

d7e8bf8cff934b869b3adsgkde.png

I fucking hate buying console games now. It takes like 40 minutes to install and then after that I need an 11gb patch? When it goes at like half the speed of Steam that makes playing a game on Day 1 pretty much impossible.
I only buy digital + Verizon fios + Xbox download speeds = no complaints here.

they should allow us to download the patch right now? waiting for this patch for download after you just got the a very anticipated game sucks

This really is the problem with modern gaming, companies just dont seem to care that not everyone has brilliant Internet speeds. Its like when Sony shipped the PS4 without the ability to pause downloads!

they should allow us to download the patch right now? waiting for this patch for download after you just got the a very anticipated game sucks

I would think a "pre patch" wouldn't be hard to do for new releases. Just add the patch as dlc so any one can download it. Then when you insert the disc and it installs it can install the "dlc patch" at the same time. It could be the same as the compatibility dlc we see for fighting games.

Top Bottom