• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone becomes the best-selling game for April in the UK, in only five days time

Gamerguy84

Nothing wrong with waiting either i.e. cheaper, there are plenty of bugs and glitches. The performance can be an issue in certain parts of the game, I've have framerate issues with the bike at certain times. (its not all good news on this front)
Wait for sale. I'd put this as a $40 game. There's too many performance issues for the regular PS4 and there could be some balancing tweaks that should be looked at.

Thanks guys. Is the performance different for PRO? I thought I heard they patched it.

DanielsM

Banned
Thanks guys. Is the performance different for PRO? I thought I heard they patched it.

I'm playing on the base. Most of my performance issues have been on the bike at night when its raining and I'm driving fast, but every once in a while their is a performance hit to framerate just out of the blue. I've also have framerate issues in the base camps sometimes, and one time I had to stop and reload the game save at the base to get it fixed.

Actually, there are quite a few bugs/glitches but I really haven't ran into many of those - I had the invisible body guy thats smoking a cigarette last night, one time I swear a Newt was break dancing on the roof of the gas station (spinning on his back) :messenger_tears_of_joy:... the only one that has had any real impact for me is... if I throw a Molotov cocktail right after a pipe bomb, it doesn't seem to explode.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yet another example of the utter irrelevance of the big gaming sites, I don't think there's ever been a time where they've been so out of touch with the mass audience.

This is the end-result of years of "new gaming journalism" where the readership's interests are seconded to whatever hobby-horse the critic is riding on that particular day.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I haven’t had any issues at all and I’m on Pro. I take my sweet time because I go out at night and stealth kill freakers. Probably put about 15-20hours but I’m still not too far into the story.

I had maybe two judders while riding my bike on the Pro. No other glitches yet. Not far in it either though. Between 10-15 hours maybe.

Just
fought my first bear in the story not long ago.

I’ve mostly been doing side missions and exploring.

DanielsM

Banned
Watching the narrative created around this game crash into reality head first has been quite entertaining.

I don't even think I'll ever play the game, but this is all just so fascinating.

(hopefully not diverting away from the topic too much)
I mentioned in the OT yesterday its crazy the amount of different opinions there are about this game from even the people that thinks its good or great. One person thinks one part needs to be improved, changed, modified or deleted, and another person will say those things are what they like about the game. The whole game is kind of fascinating in a few ways.

I don't think everyone is going to be happy with every aspects of the game as everyone is getting a very different experience and the game is so large in mechanics, game play, etc.

thelastword

Banned
Im so on the fence about this game. Ive been waiting to read some user comments like in here. Im probably going to get it.

I have 70 something dollars in my PSN account. Had a 100 but bought Creed II a couple nights ago.
If you've always been on the fence, don't buy it just because it's selling well...We don't want you to buy it and then say, you knew something about was not your cup of tea.....I'll say this, I knew I would love Days gone from the very first time I saw it.....I know what type of games I like....The setting, atmosphere always jived with me and I love the open gameplay, where you can take on your enemies how you want, run away, come back etc....I think most people who bought Days Gone knew they'd like it, because there was not as much hype for it on forums, as a matter of fact, there were many threads created just to shit on it...So it's kinda nice to see that people are allowing less of these type of negative threads and lower reviews affect a game they know they will like in the end......In this case, it just warms my heart that so many people knew they would love it, hence the great sales.....

So all in all, Kudos to Bend, because they are a good studio of hard-working and passionate folk, pours a malt-liquor for Evolution Studios which did not make it.......:messenger_pensive:

I haven’t had any issues at all and I’m on Pro. I take my sweet time because I go out at night and stealth kill freakers. Probably put about 15-20hours but I’m still not too far into the story.
The first chase in the game, I guess you have to go fast, but exploring in the game and heading to missions, I take my time on the bike.........It's not a Dirt Bike anyway........I usually don't pump the accelearator too much, I try to conserve gas as much as I can and most times I let the bike cruise, especially downhill......On PRO as well, no framerate issues so far, no bugs at all tbh......

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I'll say this, I knew I would love Days gone from the very first time I saw it.....I know what type of games I like....The setting, atmosphere always jived with me and I love the open gameplay, where you can take on your enemies how you want, run away, come back etc....

Yep agreed. It’s not trying to be something it’s not so you either like these types of games or you don’t.

For me, it has taken what works from a bunch of different games of the same genre to make it the best of them.

Also cruising around on the bike never gets old.

Last edited:
I wouldnt call Days Gone a "horror" game.

No, but then one could say the same about Resident Evil 4 and its sequels, prior to 2017. I really don't think that, other than indie games, mainstream horror games will just be purely horror anymore. While they were never quite like that to begin with, no matter what anybody says, Resident Evil 4 was the game that brought forth a huge alteration for these type of games. But the singular theme of horror alone doesn't seem to sell well, and I think Capcom understood that in 2005 (which is why we have a hybrid of adventure and horror in modern titles). The remake of Resident Evil 2 is a rare exception, being that fans of that series (old and new) were majorly excited about that game coming out, and it has more elements of horror than say, Resident Evil 6. But it's still also an action game.

People may not like it being like an action oriented genre today, but it could be argued that horror games were never strictly just about horror themes anyway, unless you consider games such as Clock Tower where you truly were unable to retaliate beyond throwing objects and running fast, plus hiding. I may not like it being that way in the new era, but I can see why they had to adjust a lot of stuff to please everyone that is buying video games in 2019. It's perhaps disappointing if you started with horror games in 1996 or so, but I think an open world game could be very terrifying if done right. Keeping in mind, that it will still be very action oriented as its marketing point, but it will also have other elements. Like the concept of having a motorcycle for transporting yourself around the country perhaps borrows from racing games, and so on.

Even so-called recent horror games have still been fairly shooter-ish. But you're right. I'd never rank Days Gone up there with the big guns of the genre, because it just isn't a pure horror title. However, I think the gameplay in such games is drastically improving, to the point where you feel more free to go places, explore buildings, and do optional side missions that are up to you, and they don't necessarily distract from the primary goal.

When you shoot and it takes a few minutes to reload a rifle, that's how it would happen for real. I like how you feel underwhelmed against multiple enemies, and that includes the biggest enemy of them all: Humans! You would get very bored of a game if all you did was shoot and whack enemies with bar stools, and whatnot. I'm glad that The Last of Us has that, but it's not something you do from start to finish.

Pimpbaa

No. I play on Pro and there are big performance problems.

Only time the framerate drops on my Pro is when I enter camps/settlements. I wouldn't exactly call that big performance problems. I do have a SSHD in my pro, but that probably only helps with load times.

Only time the framerate drops on my Pro is when I enter camps/settlements. I wouldn't exactly call that big performance problems. I do have a SSHD in my pro, but that probably only helps with load times.

Several times when im cruising around with the bike in the wilderness, the screen has complerely frozen for about 1 Second. Has never seen that in any other video game.

Pimpbaa

Several times when im cruising around with the bike in the wilderness, the screen has complerely frozen for about 1 Second. Has never seen that in any other video game.

Something similar happened to me the first day I had the game, but hasn't happened since. Could be my sshd caching some of the games data and thus smoothing out streaming issues.

DanielsM

Banned
Days Gone made it two weeks in a row in Switzerland. Wow, those Nintendo titles still selling.

11Days GoneSONYPlaystation 4
2​
22Mortal Kombat 11WB INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENTPlaystation 4
Switch
Xbox One
2​
34Mario Kart 8NINTENDOSwitch
105​
43Anno 1800UBISOFTPC
3​
55FIFA 19ELECTRONIC ARTSPlaystation 4
Switch
Xbox One
32​
67New Super Mario Bros. UNINTENDOSwitch
17​
710Super Mario PartyNINTENDOSwitch
31​
88Super Smash Bros. UltimateNINTENDOSwitch
22​
96Yoshi's Crafted WorldNINTENDOSwitch
6​
10REMinecraftMICROSOFTSwitch
Playstation 4
Xbox One
76​

Evilms

Banned
The game seems to be selling well all over the world, I hope we will soon have the sales numbers from Sony.

I'm glad the game did well, it's real solid. I took a chance on it and I'm enjoying it for what it is. The reviews were completely off base though IMO it's 7 to 8 average at the least. I'm just glad I don't have to read about people bitching it's just "another zombie game". That shit was fucking annoying.

DjMystix

I just completed it (some 50-60 hours I think) and in my opinion, it is one of the best open world games I have played this generation. There are technical glitches sure but they don’t bother me much. (I was playing on pro). I really enjoyed the story, excellent voice acting and facial animation, characters, world, music, horde, stealth and not so great shooting. The game deserves nothing less than a solid 8 (IMO). It is my second favotire game of the year now (right after Sekiro).

demigod

I'm glad the game did well, it's real solid. I took a chance on it and I'm enjoying it for what it is. The reviews were completely off base though IMO it's 7 to 8 average at the least. I'm just glad I don't have to read about people bitching it's just "another zombie game". That shit was fucking annoying.

You missed it when some gaffers were saying this before the game came out.

Fake

I'm just glad I don't have to read about people bitching it's just "another zombie game". That shit was fucking annoying.
Not only that, but the ' it's just another open world' bullshit as well.
Don't worry, they will calm down when Nintendo announce BOTW2 or other zombie game for Nintendo Switch.

Anw, can't wait for Sony to show the numbers worldwide. Should be good for a new IP.

Evilms

Banned
Days Gone Remains at the Top of the New Zealand Charts.
  1. Days Gone
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2
  4. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  5. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  6. Far Cry New Dawn
  7. Grand Theft Auto V
  8. Tom Clancy's The Division 2
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  10. Minecraft

Days Gone Tops the Australian Charts in 2nd Week.
  1. Days Gone
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. Fallout 76
  4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  5. Super Smash Bros. Utlimate
  6. The Division 2
  7. Yoshi's Crafted World
  8. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

https://igea.net/

Last edited: